New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Star Trek Topix.... what were the questions?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I had planned to go to this but I didn't want to play trivia three days in a row. How hard was it?

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Topix.... what were the questions?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It was disappointing to say the least. They threw together a "Farewell to Spock" game, as revealed in the game's subtitle, with emphasis on the "threw together". Looked like they'd only watched or read summaries of a few episodes, with multiple questions on This Side of Paradise and Amok Time. They also had the annoying habit of referring to events by earth years, rather than episode names, or even stardates. And there were factual errors. Q2 asked, "A _______ named Laila fell in love with Spock on a visit to earth in 22?? AD". Correct answer: Botanist. But that did not happen on earth! So we got killed on that question trying to think of an episode or movie where they had visited 23rd century earth and this might have happened.

Some of the questions were minutiae about things just said in passing. And one referred to his disappearance; it was only in retrospect that we figured out that this was a reference to Old Spock's passage from the original Star Trek universe to the one in the new series of movies.

1/5 of the questions asked us to give the names of his father, mother and fiancee. Meanwhile, no mention anywhere of neck pinches, mind melds, or putting his essence in Bones.

And lest this sound like sour grapes, we still did pull off #1 bar score (not that the scores showed). But it was not as fun a ride as it should have been.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Although "This Side of Paradise" takes place on Omicron Ceti III around 2267, that question would have been referring to Leila Kalomi falling in love with Spock six years prior to the episode...which was on a visit by Spock to Earth in what would have been 2260 or 2261.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

That's a shame. I was expecting questions from each series and several movies.

I keep wanting Topix to be the game people can study a week for and do very well. Even in the focused games, there's no reliable way to study. The topics will be intensely broad and hard to properly prepare for, like Famous Children (though that game was actually easy*...picking Mozart over Beethoven would have gotten me a top 100 but I made a dumb mistake there), or they'll tell you Disney Movies and you're fucked if you didn't focus on this century. What I've seen so far is you'll probably do better on a broad game you don't prep for than a focused topic you put time into.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqK5hReFn8Y may have helped me out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
That's a shame. I was expecting questions from each series and several movies.

So was I, which was why I didn't take my buddies up on their invite for the game.
Had I known it was a Spock tribute and mostly REAL Star Trek trivia ( if it ain't TOS what's the point kids? :mrgreen: ) I would have gone out for it.

mrgray wrote:
I keep wanting Topix to be the game people can study a week for and do very well.

You "crammers" bring equal parts amusement and perplexity to me.
Why would you play a game on a topic in which you have no interest and therefore need to study?
And if you have had an interest in that topic, then why on earth haven't you already studied it before now?

Here's the easy way to do it:
simply study everything and remember it all for later. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:04 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

For what it's worth I am too lazy to be a crammer. But one of the few times I crammed for Lexitopia actually did pay off. I read myrmidon the day of a game that used it.

But as much as I don't cram, I want Topix to be a game you can cram for. Given that every other game is what you know already, I think it would be fun for there to be one game where the accepted idea is that you see a foreign topic and the most diligent study wins. Think of it as suggested learning material. And then there's a quiz on it. It's school all over again! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 pm 
Himself Fodder

mrgray wrote:
For what it's worth I am too lazy to be a crammer. But one of the few times I crammed for Lexitopia actually did pay off. I read myrmidon the day of a game that used it.

But as much as I don't cram, I want Topix to be a game you can cram for. Given that every other game is what you know already, I think it would be fun for there to be one game where the accepted idea is that you see a foreign topic and the most diligent study wins. Think of it as suggested learning material. And then there's a quiz on it. It's school all over again! :D

You don't cram, but the one time you did cram, you crammed for a game you can't cram for?!?!

Why cram for a game where there are no tangible prizes? Now, if there are tangible prizes.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:27 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I miss my old playing location. Money was on the line every week. Only good in that restaurant, but still.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:17 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I had a 11.9K in that game, while the wife BIGDOG had a 12.0.