New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chess Topix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Himself Fodder

Pretty good game, some fairly tough questions mixed in with some gimmes. But I for one took issue with the rank/file question. I read the question, twice actually, and was convinced the desired answer was file. Perhaps I just misread something.

13 precalls, also missed the last question about not an opening, had it down to two but chose Grob. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't have a perf going into that one.

BO

Post subject: Re: Chess Topix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Pretty good game, some fairly tough questions mixed in with some gimmes. But I for one took issue with the rank/file question. I read the question, twice actually, and was convinced the desired answer was file. Perhaps I just misread something.

13 precalls, also missed the last question about not an opening, had it down to two but chose Grob. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't have a perf going into that one.

BO

Yes, it was a good game. I went with file also. It seemed like the best answer to me. But I have not read a chess book or played a chess puzzle in over 30 years, so my memory is probably confused. I also blew a couple of the historic questions, which I did know years ago.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, IMO there were a couple too many questions about the basics of playing. I expected more than a few questions about chess champions, past and present. :roll:

My major bungle was not backing into Elo as the creator of the rating system. :cry: I bled a lil translating the Sicilian Defense from algebraic notation, and bled a lil more lucking into the final question (had never heard of Grob either). :(

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:12 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Elo was easy, if you are familiar with Sagarin ratings.

I had it down to Grob and the other option, and missed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:30 am 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
Danny K's also lost our only points on the rank/file question. We were perfect otherwise. Not a good question.

Also disappointed there was no "Chess" the musical question :)

Christina/HEELAX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 am 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:

BO
This makes me feel better, as it describes my game exactly, other than the pre-calling part, as we were playing solo. The bar was pretty busy, so I was running around and figured I'd mis-read the rank/file question.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:33 am 
Himself Fodder

Akbar71 wrote:
This makes me feel better, as it describes my game exactly, other than the pre-calling part, as we were playing solo. The bar was pretty busy, so I was running around and figured I'd mis-read the rank/file question.

I was playing solo with one box, when I say precall all I mean is that I was 100% of the answer without choices.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:07 pm 
Centenarian

Concerning the rank/file question, the exact wording was:

Q: IN CHESS NOTATION, THE
EIGHT ROWS ON THE BOARD
ARE CALLED:

A: RANKS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

TomD wrote:
Concerning the rank/file question, the exact wording was:

Q: IN CHESS NOTATION, THE
EIGHT ROWS ON THE BOARD
ARE CALLED:

A: RANKS

Thanks TomD, that wording would certainly indicate ranks with no question. I just could have sworn there was more wording involved that included the word 'across' that confused me, but then again, I confuse myself quite easily.

BO