Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: October Topix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

As per TomD's post elsewhere, the October Thursday Topix are:

October 7 - Magazines
October 14 - October 14 (things that happened on that date)
October 21 - Fishing
October 28 - Candy

I suppose tiefly and botfly will be seen in the answers on the 21st
:lol:

There certainly were a lot of historical events and noteworthy births/deaths on October 14th, certainly enough to put together a game with lots of variety and interest. It could be interesting.

I wouldn't want "this day in history" to become an ongoing Topix trend ..the scoring will depend greatly on who has the best recall or speed reading skills for that date's Wikipedia entry.

No word yet on the Friday Topix.

Post subject: Re: October Topix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:41 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Here's the whole set.

October 1 - The Caribbean
October 7 - Magazines
October 8 - I'm on a Boat
October 14 - October 14th
October 15 - Stone Temple Pilots
October 21 - Fishing
October 22 - Beach Destinations
October 28 - Candy
October 29 - 80s Horror Movies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Fishing....EGADS!!! :P

I still have nightmares about my masssive "Fail" the last time fishing was a Topic. Who fishes for the smallest fish in the world? Pygmies?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Hmmm for the first time in many a moon I may actually care more about a Fri topix than any Thurs. Of my limited movie interest or knowledge chessy 80s horror is up there. Of course given the obssessive kind of mind to whom movie trivia is attractive I suspect it will be way over my head dealing with debuits of unknown actresses who lasted 30 seconds on screen before being decapitated or the star signs of cinematographers. I'll give it a shot I guess. None of the Thursday group is all that attractive beyond the intriguing idea of a date-centric topic. May miss a couple of those.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
Hmmm for the first time in many a moon I may actually care more about a Fri topix than any Thurs. Of my limited movie interest or knowledge chessy 80s horror is up there. Of course given the obssessive kind of mind to whom movie trivia is attractive I suspect it will be way over my head dealing with debuits of unknown actresses who lasted 30 seconds on screen before being decapitated or the star signs of cinematographers. I'll give it a shot I guess. None of the Thursday group is all that attractive beyond the intriguing idea of a date-centric topic. May miss a couple of those.

Knight Moves starring Christopher Lambert?
You're way off. That was from 1992... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hmm... The Carribean for a Friday Topix? That sucks, as I might have wanted to play that. How was this game; what were some of the questions?

I recently moved, and have yet to have cable, telephone, and most importantly, Internet connectivity, so this is the first time I have connected to this site in two weeks; I hope to finally be connected at home this coming Tuesday. For now, I'm using my laptop using WiFi. At least that works. I'm also using Internet Explorer with no spellchecker; I hope that isn't too obvious.

This month's Topix are a major disappointment. The only one that I'm even remotely looking forward to is October 14th.

Finally, I just wanted to say, I was at Adams Mill for the 9/30 Topix (North Africe). We did extremely well -- #1. I wanted to thank Al/TWIT, Tom/BIFF and Rikr for making this finish possible. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
Finally, I just wanted to say, I was at Adams Mill for the 9/30 Topix (North Africe). We did extremely well -- #1. I wanted to thank Al/TWIT, Tom/BIFF and Rikr for making this finish possible. :)

Nice sandbagging that game.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

BO

Thanks. That is the most charitable comment from you in over a month. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Caribbean topic was tough. Some geographical questions, some history but we slogged thru it. Wouldve liked to have played Thursday at the Mill but didn't feel up to it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 pm 
Babylon

Wow, my favorite genre of movies on the 29th, and one of my all-time favorite bands on the 15th? Sweet!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Caribbean topic was tough. Some geographical questions, some history but we slogged thru it. Wouldve liked to have played Thursday at the Mill but didn't feel up to it

Tim, do you recall any specific questions? It seems odd that this game was on a Friday.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:29 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

Tim, do you recall any specific questions? It seems odd that this game was on a Friday.

-- RWM

I can't remember any specific questions as I usually hit the delete button on them when the game is over but it was a mix of history, entertainment, and geography. Kind of odd to have the promotion on a Friday where the Topixs are generally always entertainment related. Heck, I can't remember some of the questions from Magazines Topix last night and I had a perfect score...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

BO

Hmmmmmm!! Both his boxes did have the 2 top scores :shock: But I wasn't there, but Congrats to the "Mill rats" anyway :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:17 pm 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
zog741 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

-- RWM

I can't remember any specific questions as I usually hit the delete button on them when the game is over but it was a mix of history, entertainment, and geography. Kind of odd to have the promotion on a Friday where the Topixs are generally always entertainment related. Heck, I can't remember some of the questions from Magazines Topix last night and I had a perfect score...

Congrats Tim to you and the "Mill rats" on "magazines" topix, would have liked to play that one :)