March 10 - Mollusks
March 11 - Country Twang
March 17 - Roman History
March 18 - Anti-Love Movies
March 24 - St. Lawrence River
March 25 - Reality Show Winners
March 31 - Flowers

I'm all about the mollusks!!!

Will not even bother with March 3rd/4th...EGADS!!!

And to HELL with March 25th!

Post subject: Re: MARCH TOPIX
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
And the categories are:

March 3 - Smart Phone Apps
March 4 - Celebrity Kids
March 10 - Mollusks
March 11 - Country Twang
March 17 - Roman History
March 31 - Flowers

Smart Phone Apps? SMART PHONE APPS!?! ON A THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked the wrong week to run out of my blood pressure medicine.

And Roman History, the one in which I am most interested, is on St. Patrick's Day. Frickin' fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:

I agree since I f*!# that up on related questions in the BT, CD n TI

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I seriously figured that with February 17 being about Iceland, that March 17 would be about Ireland. But Roman History is good too. :) Also look forward to the St. Lawrence River Topix.

Although I have a Droid device, and like it very much, I doubt I'll play the Cell Phone Apps Topix. And as for Reality Show Winners, no way!

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

When it comes to reality shows, there's only one way to consistently win

Change the channel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I may do Roman History on St Patrick's day. It might be appropriate since St Patrick was a Roman Citizen.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The Complete List of Truly Smart Phone Apps:

Dial
Answer
Talk
Hang Up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:48 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
tiefly wrote:
And the categories are:

March 3 - Smart Phone Apps
March 4 - Celebrity Kids
March 10 - Mollusks
March 11 - Country Twang
March 17 - Roman History
March 31 - Flowers

Smart Phone Apps? SMART PHONE APPS!?! ON A THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked the wrong week to run out of my blood pressure medicine.

And Roman History, the one in which I am most interested, is on St. Patrick's Day. Frickin' fantastic.

If you run out of blood pressure medicine, just try a shot of good tequila. That seems to work for me.

OTOH, Roman History may be ok and I did see the St. Lawrence River once. :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am 
Lotsa Posta

Gogetem wrote:
If you run out of blood pressure medicine, just try a shot of good tequila. That seems to work for me.

I actually go for the bourbon method when necessary.
Gogetem wrote:
OTOH, Roman History may be ok and I did see the St. Lawrence River once. :?

Regrettably, there is simply no way I will be able to play the Roman History game. St. Pat's means I'll be working at least through to 10pm our time. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Smart phone Apps went better than I expected. I was choosing based on funniest name and got most. Cant believe the "what do you use the Buzztime Trivia App for?" Question. Expected but figured they would try to make it harder. Ended up with around 11K. Not great but much better than I expected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

tchoiniere wrote:
Smart phone Apps went better than I expected. I was choosing based on funniest name and got most. Cant believe the "what do you use the Buzztime Trivia App for?" Question. Expected but figured they would try to make it harder. Ended up with around 11K. Not great but much better than I expected.

I'm sure it was a delightful Friday-worthy game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

I'm sure it was a delightful Friday-worthy game.

Go back to your medication! :)

--RWM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I try to avoid assumptions of ulterior motives but putting one of the games most suited to traditionally educated players on a night almost exclusively devoted to the brain-dead party types is a bit strange. There are usually three nights in a year when you can absolutely guarantee I won't be at the bar after 7pm or so because of the amateur hour crowd and 3/17 is one of them. If I can somehow contrive to be in the Central time zone where I could play it and leave immediately just before 8 it might - at a pinch - work. But being in the Eastern at 8.30-9.00 with all the Wizniewskis and Valentis and Schmidts loudly proclaiming their Irishness and assuming that means getting shitfaced on cheap green beer is not worth putting up with for one decent trivia game - especially as doubtless BT will consider asking who directed Antony and Cleopatra or did the music for The Robe to be questions about Roman history. Frankly I would consider it a better than usual offering for academic-sounding topics if they didn't ask who played a supporting role in Roman Holiday too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
Centenarian

Rhino wrote:
especially as doubtless BT will consider asking who directed Antony and Cleopatra or did the music for The Robe to be questions about Roman history. Frankly I would consider it a better than usual offering for academic-sounding topics if they didn't ask who played a supporting role in Roman Holiday too.

You have my word, there are no movie questions in the game. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I, for one, will play on the 17th. Playing trivia 20 miles from home on a night renowned for drinking green beer may not be the smartest thing to do, but I've driven farther on New Year's Eve and survived. I expect Al (TWIT) to carry our group but I certainly plan on being a positive factor...

Actually, I am unconcerned about movie questions, having played enough Thursday Topix. Given the theme, I am slightly concerned about questions related to, say, The Papal States, or the 1960 Summer Olympics, or something else related to Rome, but not the Rome of antiquity.

We shall see.

(By the way, I am part Irish. I usually forget to wear green though.)

-- RWM

(Edited to correct typo.)

Last edited by zog741 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm 
Himself Fodder

TomD wrote:
Rhino wrote:
especially as doubtless BT will consider asking who directed Antony and Cleopatra or did the music for The Robe to be questions about Roman history. Frankly I would consider it a better than usual offering for academic-sounding topics if they didn't ask who played a supporting role in Roman Holiday too.

That doesn't rule out TV shows, hit songs, video games, comic books or Caesar's Palace questions..... :D

BO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
Rhino wrote:

Darn, I knew the answers to those questions. I will play even if there are no movie questions.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

St.Lawrence River was great! There was only one question that someone at Adams Mill didn't know (regarding the song) but otherwise the Mill put up a nearly perfect game.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason (network glitch of some sort, no doubt), the only game where the Mill was actually on the leader board was the 10:00 pm ET Countdown. :( This has been a problem for two nights in a row! We likely had a #1 bar score on Topix, as well as on Six, where Richte scored over 63K.

Something is amiss. However, I do give kudos to BT for last night's Topix. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
St.Lawrence River was great! There was only one question that someone at Adams Mill didn't know (regarding the song) but otherwise the Mill put up a nearly perfect game.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason (network glitch of some sort, no doubt), the only game where the Mill was actually on the leader board was the 10:00 pm ET Countdown. :( This has been a problem for two nights in a row! We likely had a #1 bar score on Topix, as well as on Six, where Richte scored over 63K.

-- RWM

I sure as hell don't. What the buggery was a song question doing in a game about a geographical feature in the first place? When will the pop culture pissants have enough of the damned schedule? Does anybody EVER remember a question in a Topix about a band that asked about the use of diminished sevenths in their songs, or a Topix about a movie with a question concerning the chemical composition of celluloid? If it's so fricking easy to keep cerebral questions out of dreck Topix why is it somehow impossible to do the reverse?

Only Lexitopia is an oasis from PC pablum right now (15 minutes out of a week!) and I fully expect made up song-words like "doo-wah-diddy" to start infiltrating that now I have pointed out their lapse in the attempt to stultify the entire schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

I sure as hell don't. What the buggery was a song question doing in a game about a geographical feature in the first place? When will the pop culture pissants have enough of the damned schedule? Does anybody EVER remember a question in a Topix about a band that asked about the use of diminished sevenths in their songs, or a Topix about a movie with a question concerning the chemical composition of celluloid? If it's so fricking easy to keep cerebral questions out of dreck Topix why is it somehow impossible to do the reverse?

Only Lexitopia is an oasis from PC pablum right now (15 minutes out of a week!) and I fully expect made up song-words like "doo-wah-diddy" to start infiltrating that now I have pointed out their lapse in the attempt to stultify the entire schedule.

Okay then: With two exceptions I give kudos to BT. One is the inclusion of a song question on a geographically-based Topix, and the other is the network problem that prevented our scores from appearing on the leader boards.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 am 
Lotsa Posta

It was a good game and you're right about the top scores posting. That problem is occurring at a lot of sites, but not for Countdown. Even then, it usually took the 2nd pass for everyone to show up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Rembrandts didn't show up in the national rankings at all until Topix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:

Except we had the same problem at two different Maryland bars two nights in a row, and we likewise thought we'd claimed Thursday Six honors. Oh well, split decision. I settled for the Silver, but we edged you out on Bar Score.

Not sure when the next Thursday we will revive this rivalry will be; we're normally a Wed/Fri crew.

==Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:33 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I had sent a report about the ranking problems to BT yesterday. The problem seemed to be fixed last night. It was hard to believe that 7700 would nail the gold, in spite of the fact, that a lot of us watching the board had more points than the reported top score.