New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Bring Back Passport
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:00 am 
Centenarian

Now that we have THREE games of Six per week I think it is time to come up with a new geography game, or preferably, bring back the old Passport. I do not have a specific problem with Six, but come on, three times a week is a bit much. I know that a lot of posters on here do not like Passport. But come up with something. Even a new geography game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I enjoyed Passport but now only play Wednesday nights with my team because of the split. that won't change until the split goes away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well just to keep TOLLE happy...it has been a year since we visited this subject. :mrgreen:

I thought at the 2011 Triviapalooza someone mentioned that whoever was there from BT said they were developing a new Geography game. What happened to that game? TomD said there was talk about a geography game.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
Well just to keep TOLLE happy...it has been a year since we visited this subject. :mrgreen:

I thought at the 2011 Triviapalooza someone mentioned that whoever was there from BT said they were developing a new Geography game. What happened to that game? TomD said there was talk about a geography game.

I would enjoy a general geography game, didn't care too much for Passport.

Post subject: I agree with SCAR...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
BUD wrote:

I would enjoy a general geography game, didn't care too much for Passport.

I agree with SCAR... "Passport" was basically a good idea. However, when it started throwing questions at you like, "What is the name of the shopping district in Bangkok, where tourists go to buy jade jewelry?" or "On what street will you find the major fish market in Reykjavík?", it kind of turned me off. The map questions they asked were totally unfair. Even when you knew it, they drew the lines so that the correct answer could very easily have been in two or three of the sectors that they delineated.

I too would like to see a straight up geography game, and when it comes, I want to be sitting next to FSHMAN. :lol:

Post subject: Re: I agree with SCAR...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

I too would like to see a straight up geography game, and when it comes, I want to be sitting next to FSHMAN. :lol:

Only if he had seen the questions a few hours before that.

Post subject: Nope...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Nope, that wouldn't be necessary. I've played live trivia with FSHMAN just about every Monday for five or six years. There is always one geography question each night, and FSHMAN nails about 90% of them.

p.s. I know that you are not alone in bashing FSHMAN. However, I think denigrating a trivia player, whom you have never met or played with, is at best unfair.

Post subject: Re: Nope...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:33 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
lewser wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Nope, that wouldn't be necessary. I've played live trivia with FSHMAN just about every Monday for five or six years. There is always one geography question each night, and FSHMAN nails about 90% of them.

p.s. I know that you are not alone in bashing FSHMAN. However, I think denigrating a trivia player, whom you have never met or played with, is at best unfair.

CLOUDY, I know FSHMAN is your friend, and that's OK. But trying to defend the indefensible is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FSHMAN is and always will be a cheating hack! What he did in Lunchtime was crap, he is just like that fuckhead in Arizona. Like BO said, he is your friend and is probably a fine guy, but at trivia he is a cheat. But according to everybody that knows him he didn't have to resort, but still did.

Post subject: FSHMAN knows his geography...!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FSHMAN knows his geography...! This is something that anyone, who has ever played with him will know. Derogatory comments about him, that have nothing to do with this fact, cannot change it. If my life depended on it, and I had to pick one person to answer a geography question for me on "Jeopardy", my first choice would be FSHMAN...!

I have a hard time understanding what lies in people's hearts, that doesn't allow them to forgive and move on. If he cheated on "Lunchtime Trivia", that wasn't good, especially because he didn't need to. However, I think this is something that can be forgiven for a man, who goes out of his way to aid others in need, freely gives answers to trivia questions to people he is with, volunteered for the Marine Corps to go to Vietnam, and never says derogatory things about others he knows. He is truly a good and extremely intelligent person. He should be forgiven for his transgressions. I worry about those, who can't find it in their hearts to let this go, and move on.

Post subject: Re: FSHMAN knows his geography...!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:35 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
I worry about those, who can't find it in their hearts to let this go, and move on.

And some of us worry about those who blindly defend a person when they have absolutely zero idea what he has done to deserve such wrath.

He has cheated Buzztime probably over a dozen different ways over the years, and that's only the ones people have publicly caught. He cheats, it gets reported to BT, the loophole is closed, he finds some other way to cheat. Repeat. He burned his last bridge many moons ago.

We're just talking trivia here, no other part of his life. He could be the greatest person in the world, but as far as trivia goes, he has zero respect from most of the top players out there. And that ain't changing. But we are moving on, just without him.

Post subject: BO let it go...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I worry about those, who can't find it in their hearts to let this go, and move on.

And some of us worry about those who blindly defend a person when they have absolutely zero idea what he has done to deserve such wrath.

He has cheated Buzztime probably over a dozen different ways over the years, and that's only the ones people have publicly caught. He cheats, it gets reported to BT, the loophole is closed, he finds some other way to cheat. Repeat. He burned his last bridge many moons ago.

We're just talking trivia here, no other part of his life. He could be the greatest person in the world, but as far as trivia goes, he has zero respect from most of the top players out there. And that ain't changing. But we are moving on, just without him.

Bo let it go...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I don't care what type of person he is away from trivia, he has already proven to be a cheat in the portion that I am involved in, trivia. I just don't understand how you still can't even admit he was, and IMHO, more than likely still is a cheat ( just hasn't been caught again). If I had a good friend, as he seems to be for you, and they did some dastardly shit like this-they would need to defend themselves. I wouldn't constantly, at every turn praise on what a good player in person he is then completely dismiss that he is a cheat.

I also know people with no axe to grind against FSHMAN, who have played with him personally who share the same opinion of him as I. My opinion is based on facts that he cheated, over and over again. Then got caught and found a new way to cheat, got caught again then found another. Those are not usually actions of an 'honest' person, looking for ways to cheat, sounds like a swell guy to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Maybe I will try to get Fshman up to Triviapalooza.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 am 
Centenarian

Sounds like this FSHMAN is a pretty popular and clever guy. I guess he must of changed his name since the other FSHMANs out there have low P+ point totals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 am 
Golden Tee Master

HoopScoop wrote:
Sounds like this FSHMAN is a pretty popular and clever guy. I guess he must of changed his name since the other FSHMANs out there have low P+ point totals.

Without getting into the why FSHMAN plays like he does sometimes during lunch time trivia. He currently plays under the following handles. PHOENX, CAESAR, FDUBYA, LUAVUL, KNTUKY and 2 handles under XXXMEN. There might be others, but these are the main ones. I don't know the details, but I believe Buzztime deleted all of his FSHMAN handles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 am 
Golden Tee Master

Also, he will use several anti republican party handles that are not registered. FGOP seems to be the most popular. Why he uses these handles is beyond me since no local players use anti democratic handles. I think there is someone out there that uses FOBAMA. That person plays in another state and is rarely on the national boards. I am all for free speech. However, I believe FSHMAN's constant use of anti GOP handles a bit too much. This is a game and not a platform for political views. I fail to see the need to use political handles by anyone. I will stop now before I break any rules on this board. :P

Post subject: Re: Thank God, somebody...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am 
Himself Fodder

Upthread from April 2011

BUD wrote:
Yeah trying to make a little progress. :roll: Just wondering if TomD or someone else from BT can shed any light on the possibility of a "New Geography" game??

There was talk back when MaryC was still at BT that BT was indeed working on some sort of Geography game.
Wonder what the status on that is? TomD can you tell us anything?

Thanks

TomD wrote:
There's definitely talk about it. As to when, or what form it would be in, I don't have a clue about that. I'm not in the loop for game development, so I pretty much find out when they announce it to the general public.

Apparently saner minds were in the minority as over two years later we have no geography game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm 
Golden Tee Master

I would say it has been some time since any new game has been introduced. I would not call "Badge Hunter" a new game since it has no weekly schedule. Too bad Buzztime does not use the Badge Hunter format for other games. It would be nice to bring back games like Passport for a month and generate a reason to go out and play trivia. Create a retro game time slot and use a different game every month. Hopefully Battle of the Sexes and Know Your Server would stay on the shelf and not come back ever!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:19 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Playing SIX last night, I saw LIJOHA at The Puck on the rankings

Searching on Buzztime's website, the account is a recent registration with intermittent play on Thursdays only, and hers hasn't been touched in a long time. Looks to me like someone paying homage

Post subject: Re: Thank God, somebody...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
BUD wrote:
Yeah trying to make a little progress. :roll: Just wondering if TomD or someone else from BT can shed any light on the possibility of a "New Geography" game??

There was talk back when MaryC was still at BT that BT was indeed working on some sort of Geography game.
Wonder what the status on that is? TomD can you tell us anything?

Thanks

There's definitely talk about it. As to when, or what form it would be in, I don't have a clue about that. I'm not in the loop for game development, so I pretty much find out when they announce it to the general public.

Well I guess that idea got sent upstairs to management, was shit on and replaced by Opinionation.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 pm 
-BO- Derek?

Passport was definitely one of my favorite games, after Showdown and that Restore Order (I think?) game that they got rid of long ago.

I actually liked getting to look up new places and reading about them. It was a decent way to learn about someplace I might not ever study or get the chance to go to.

The map questions were particularly bad. I remember doing a game on Baltimore and every bar in Maryland got it wrong because of how terribly they placed the lines. They did that quite often.

What they need is an hour long geography game where the first half is general geography and the second half is location specific. That way they don't have to dig too obscurely into the specific location and also diminish the advantage of studying somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Geography surely is fair game.

Maybe they could blend some of their current leanings and ask questions like "Where is Justin Bieber currently vacationing ?"

I also enjoyed Restore Order, but it was a bitch to get a good score if you had any lag.