New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I played Wipeout last week
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:30 am 
Himself Fodder

Yep, it's true. 15Q game with five choices, was so sweet. Three choices removed and -250 for wrong answers! A real game of trivia, sigh. I really miss real trivia.

Was on an airplane stand alone system. Had several different games to choose from, general, sports, history, etc. The sports and history was European based so for me the sports questions were impossible. Asking who was the manager of so and so rugby team and such. The history Q's were great. The general Q's were pretty good as well although a little too much fluff, but not 50%.

BO

Post subject: Re: I played Wipeout last week
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am 

Ah yes -- the good old days. I also liked the Countdown negative third clue -- especially on the 15th question -- which once was a staple, but has been gone for some years.

FOG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, the sometimes negative third clue almost certainly went away in response to the incessant whining from newbies who couldn't take just a lil moment to actually read that clue and figure out it was negative, instead of knee jerk, freak out reacting as if it were a "normal" positive clue. :roll: :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I wish Wipeout returns.....wanna see if people's playing avgs plummet on a truly lousy game.....:lol:

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 pm 
Himself Fodder

MitchWolf wrote:
I wish Wipeout returns.....wanna see if people's playing avgs plummet on a truly lousy game.....:lol:

Nope. They'd just quit after 7 questions like they do now with CD.

BO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

Nope. They'd just quit after 7 questions like they do now with CD.

BO

yup... still -250 x 7 = -1750...:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

liljol wrote:
Well, the sometimes negative third clue almost certainly went away in response to the incessant whining from newbies who couldn't take just a lil moment to actually read that clue and figure out it was negative, instead of knee jerk, freak out reacting as if it were a "normal" positive clue. :roll: :lol:

And the legitimate complaint that it was harder to get new people to try trivia at all when they were getting negative scores, while learning. New blood is the only thing that would keep it going. I can't tell you the amount of people who used to get -1000 and then never play again, down in ole Nashville.

I think, in general, is more about not abusing the new players, as the good regulars were going to smash the hell out of them anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:26 pm 
Himself Fodder

Dante wrote:
And the legitimate complaint that it was harder to get new people to try trivia at all when they were getting negative scores, while learning. New blood is the only thing that would keep it going. I can't tell you the amount of people who used to get -1000 and then never play again, down in ole Nashville.

I think, in general, is more about not abusing the new players, as the good regulars were going to smash the hell out of them anyway.

Perhaps. But first NTN got rid of the negative clues to appease the chops. Then they got rid of the -250's. Then they went to 50% pop culture drivel. Then they went to 10Q games with only 4 choices. Then they made sure at least one of the four choices is a joke answer.

So the question is, who are they catering to? The actual trivia players or those who can't remember their phone number?

I do remember when I first started out and wasn't that good, I couldn't stand getting -250. So I worked hard at learning so that wouldn't happen very often.

I don't disagree that chasing away the newbies is bad, but I think we all know BT has taken things way too far.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I don't disagree that chasing away the newbies is bad, but I think we all know BT has taken things way too far.

And I'm not sure that for all the changes, they have brought in any significant amounts of new blood. I miss BadBob's analyses--they might have been able to see if there has been an appreciable change.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 am 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
Perhaps. But first NTN got rid of the negative clues to appease the chops. Then they got rid of the -250's. Then they went to 50% pop culture drivel. Then they went to 10Q games with only 4 choices. Then they made sure at least one of the four choices is a joke answer.

So the question is, who are they catering to? The actual trivia players or those who can't remember their phone number?

I do remember when I first started out and wasn't that good, I couldn't stand getting -250. So I worked hard at learning so that wouldn't happen very often.

BO

You're not going to get a lot of argument out of me in general. I deplore people who are intellectual lazy, and those who find it easier not to think straight. But, from a business side, which is particular facet of the reptilian brain that does not involve higher cognitive functions, I do understand the intent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
-BO- wrote:

And I'm not sure that for all the changes, they have brought in any significant amounts of new blood. I miss BadBob's analyses--they might have been able to see if there has been an appreciable change.

I do miss BadBob in here..period!!!!!