New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do I even need to say it?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Buzztime Trivia!

Short, crisp game that had way less pop culture than Countdown. As a plus, you got more questions per hour during the day when they had this. Not to mention more High Score Tables per hour. Does anybody else feel they should bring it back?

Post subject: Re: Do I even need to say it?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

This is a very divisive subject, a real can of worms here...

I never cared for BT personally. Too many pop culture questions, as I recall. The game isn't that different than the Late Shi(f)t, in my opinion - just different graphics.

All I can say is that I would favor a voting round between (non-premium) games, where BT could be an option. I think CD is the much better game and should be the default choice. Really, I'd rather see Wipeout brought back; that game was similar to BT but with five choices per question.

I'm sure that Buzztime Trivia will have its fans; I'm just not one of them.

A belated welcome to Scaratings. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 am 
Himself Fodder

mrgray wrote:
Buzztime Trivia!

Short, crisp game that had way less pop culture than Countdown. As a plus, you got more questions per hour during the day when they had this. Not to mention more High Score Tables per hour. Does anybody else feel they should bring it back?

You're going to be in the minority here on that opinion, here's why.

First off, you're way off in your assertion that BTT had way less pop culture than CD. By definition (from BT itself by the way) BTT had 50% pop culture which the players detested. The current iteration of CD has far less, perhaps as little as 15-20%. By intentional BT design, they admitted they player base detested the BTT content and removed many of the pop culture questions from the CD database. In short, CD has much less pop culture than BTT.

BTT had 10 questions per game while CD has 15, so which is more useful in determining the best player? Naturally that would be the game with more questions, the more questions the longer the cream has to rise to the top. In a 10Q game, if you missed one you were toast, no way to make the national board. In most games, if you bled even 1 point your chance to win the nation was ruined. It was simply a poor method to determine a game winner.

Yes, you got more questions per hour, but since it was a flawed game with asinine content, nobody much cared.

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion, but many players here are in favor of longer games and tougher questions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
This is a very divisive subject, a real can of worms here...

I never cared for BT personally. Too many pop culture questions, as I recall. The game isn't that different than the Late Shi(f)t, in my opinion - just different graphics.

All I can say is that I would favor a voting round between (non-premium) games, where BT could be an option. I think CD is the much better game and should be the default choice. Really, I'd rather see Wipeout brought back; that game was similar to BT but with five choices per question.

I'm sure that Buzztime Trivia will have its fans; I'm just not one of them.

A belated welcome to Scaratings. :)

-- RWM

Oh I guess I am misremembering it as far as pop culture goes...I thought Countdown was the culprit. On that note, did they change Countdown in any noticeable way when they shifted the schedule not long ago?

Is Late Shift new? Not sure I've played it. Wipeout is foreign to me too, probably before my time.

Thanks for the welcome, nice to meet you RWM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Quote:
First off, you're way off in your assertion that BTT had way less pop culture than CD. By definition (from BT itself by the way) BTT had 50% pop culture which the players detested.

Oh I made a mistake. As far as my opinion goes, I don't want to be entitled to it anymore haha.

I just want a game with 0 pop culture. But I guess things would be recycled that much more quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
Oh I guess I am misremembering it as far as pop culture goes...I thought Countdown was the culprit. On that note, did they change Countdown in any noticeable way when they shifted the schedule not long ago?

Is Late Shift new? Not sure I've played it. Wipeout is foreign to me too, probably before my time.

Thanks for the welcome, nice to meet you RWM.

Late Shift was introduced earlier this year. It's a 10-question game, four choices per question, and 15-minutes long. It is on from 10:00 local time until "closing".

Wipeout was eliminated around 2007 or so, prior to that the game existed at least from 2000. I actually liked Countdown better, but for a change of pace I think it was better than BT/LS. It was structured like CD, but with choices eliminated as in BT and therefore no clues to read.

Countdown has definitely been made harder in the past month or so; prior to that I was consistently scoring around 12.5K and even had a couple of solo 15K games. Now I'm consistently closer to 11K, if that. It seems that they were asking more entertainment questions than before, although I think the questions in general are tougher.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 am 
Himself Fodder

Am fairly certain Wipeout was eliminated August of 2008 when all non-premium games were temporarily made 10Q/15min in duration. I started playing in 1992 and it was around then, albeit in the original 15Q/45min structure with -250's for wrong answers. Talk about questions counting down slowly and interminable breaks between rounds and games!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Am fairly certain Wipeout was eliminated August of 2008 when all non-premium games were temporarily made 10Q/15min in duration. I started playing in 1992 and it was around then, albeit in the original 15Q/45min structure with -250's for wrong answers. Talk about questions counting down slowly and interminable breaks between rounds and games!

When did Wipeout go from 45 minutes to 30? I always remembered it as a 30 minute game, initially with -250 for wrong answers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

When did Wipeout go from 45 minutes to 30? I always remembered it as a 30 minute game, initially with -250 for wrong answers.

All 15Q games were 45 minutes back then. Went to 30 minutes in late 1992 or early 1993 I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:27 am 
Lord of Scaratings

One aspect of Buzztime Trivia that I appreciated was the increased pace. Once they restored Countdown, it seemed slow in comparison.

I would prefer Speed overall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

scar wrote:

I would prefer Speed overall.

I would be very happy for Speed to come back. I think it got cancelled based on BT's wrong concept that it could put a game in the post-Showdown slot that would hold on to more of the Showdown players than Speed did. Now that there is ample evidence given the drop in player count that occurs after the premium game no matter what is in that slot, with counts going down on games that previously did well before the premium game, perhaps BT could look at Speed's numbers vis-a-vis other post-premium games and get a more accurate feel for its popularity.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

-BO- wrote:

You are correct regarding the date of Wipeout's demise.

FWIW, I liked the speedier format of the BTT trivia game over Countdown. I wish they would change Countdown to 20 questions in half an hour. they could eliminate 1 of the commercial breaks and then make the remaining breaks a little longer. its not as if they are running many paying adds these days

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I didn't mind the BT game. Pacing was better than CD. Didn't like it as much when it was JUST BT, but when they mixed it in with CD it wasn't that bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

While I'm in the minority both literally and figuratively, I disagree that the pacing of The Late Shift/Buzztime Trivia is better than Countdown. The longer break following Countdown is needed for those that have to take a smoke and/or potty break; the amount of break following both The Late Shift and Lunchtime Trivia is barely enough for potty breaks, never mind smoke breaks.

Regardless, it would be nice to see two full showings of rankings at the end of Lunchtime Trivia and The Late Shift (and any other game that doesn't show them). As mentioned elsewhere, it's not like there are so many sponsored ads to run (for now, anyway).

Also, as far as my poor tired lil old grumpy ass is concerned, The Late Shift can remain where it is. To hell with mixing them back in with Countdown.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

liljol wrote:
While I'm in the minority both literally and figuratively, I disagree that the pacing of The Late Shift/Buzztime Trivia is better than Countdown. The longer break following Countdown is needed for those that have to take a smoke and/or potty break; the amount of break following both The Late Shift and Lunchtime Trivia is barely enough for potty breaks, never mind smoke breaks.

Regardless, it would be nice to see two full showings of rankings at the end of Lunchtime Trivia and The Late Shift (and any other game that doesn't show them). As mentioned elsewhere, it's not like there are so many sponsored ads to run (for now, anyway).

Also, as far as my poor tired lil old grumpy ass is concerned, The Late Shift can remain where it is. To hell with mixing them back in with Countdown.

You'd have be an old grumpy coot with a lil bladder to think that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I agree with liljol. Let Buzztime/Late Shift stay in the late night ghetto.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 pm 
Centenarian

I detested Buzztime Trivia, but Late Shift is a significant improvement.

Although it keeps the 10-Q Wipeout format, it has better graphics and far less pop culture than its predecessor, which is about as beloved among most players as Pat Shurmur is among most Browns fans.

Nonetheless, my Late Shift play is sporadic at best. But, I thank All That Is Holy I am no longer subjected to Buzztime Trivia.

Now, bring back the 30-minute Wipeout with the -250 wrong answers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It's not the game; it's the content. Amazon knows what I want and after 20 years BT/NTN still doesn't have a clue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
liljol wrote:

You'd have be an old grumpy coot with a lil bladder to think that.

Thanks a whole bunch for reminding me. Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:30 am 
Octogenarian

Since Late Shift has pretty much taken up the void left by Buzztime and Adam hasn't created a new index (??) for the game, this seems like the best place to write this. I was on the phone w/ Adam and he mentioned I should let everyone know, that over the past several weeks I've been noticing that the content of Late Shift is changing. More academic questions and mixed in with the entertainment stuff. The only reason I bring this up is b/c when I first started playing LS, I could easily get 8,000+ and up until about a month and half ago, I've been barely managing a 7,000 and several times (for various handles) I've not even made the bonus........

Also, for badge fans out there I've noticed w/ Late Shift two weekends ago, and last weekend (although not so much this weekend) that a particular badge seemed to be clustered in Late Shift (but it varied) Two weeks ago about a half dozen Jive Talkin badge-related questions came up; last week about the same number of Triple Play questions came up, as well a Red Zone, and I can't remember if the Bowled Over badge I earned was from LS or CD....One particular badge I almost only see in LS is the Veni Vidi Vici badge, I've seen three or four of those in LS and only maybe one in CD.....

I'll try to keep posting about this, but I usually only get to play LS Friday & Saturday nights (which is a very poor sampling, I know) when i'm in Florida in a couple of months, I'll be able to get a better feel for it, but just wanted to let everyone know to try to give LS another chance. The content seems to be expanding, and a lot of badges (other than the entertainment badges) seem to be up for grabs....

"I Just Smoked Your @$$!!!" (Jes. 4:20)