New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How about "Million Dollar Match"...?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I recall "Million Dollar Match" was a special "Wipeout" game that didn't last long. It was a game where you were given a final score to match before the game began. If you succeded in matching the score, NTN sent you a cute little pin, and put you into a pool where they would randomly select people (I think ten.) to go to a face off, with the chance to win $1,000,000.

Seeing it was a "Wipeout" game, if you went above the score to match, you could purposely get some answers wrong with the minus 250 penalty to stay in the hunt.

Somewhere I still have three of those cute little pins, but I never was randomly selected, and never won the $1,000,000. :cry:

Post subject: Re: How about "Million Dollar Match"...?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm 
Himself Fodder

The first competition was in 1996 or so and there was no randomness about making it to play for the million. Everybody that matched one week would play off the following week with the closest to the target score advancing to the finals in San Diego. Ten weeks, ten finalists. Nobody came close to winning, first game the match score was 10777 I believe and nobody broke 9k, it was a brutal game. Second game was a similar match score and I had the only chance to match, and that was on the last question.

Got a good tour of NTN HQ though.

Post subject: How in the World can you remember so much...?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
The first competition was in 1996 or so and there was no randomness about making it to play for the million. Everybody that matched one week would play off the following week with the closest to the target score advancing to the finals in San Diego. Ten weeks, ten finalists. Nobody came close to winning, first game the match score was 10777 I believe and nobody broke 9k, it was a brutal game. Second game was a similar match score and I had the only chance to match, and that was on the last question.

BO, how in the World can you remember so much...?

I thought it only lasted for two years, but I am probably wrong, because you say that it started in 1996. Am I right about the random selection of ten players who qualified to play against each other for the $1,000,000 some place in Florida in the game's final year?

p.s. I don't think anyone ever won the $1,000,000.

p.p.s. What was the final year for the "Million Dollar Match" game?

Post subject: Re: How in the World can you remember so much...?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
-BO- wrote:

BO, how in the World can you remember so much...?

I thought it only lasted for two years, but I am probably wrong, because you say that it started in 1996. Am I right about the random selection of ten players who qualified to play against each other for the $1,000,000 some place in Florida in the game's final year?

p.s. I don't think anyone ever won the $1,000,000.

p.p.s. What was the final year for the "Million Dollar Match" game?

It only ran three times, and you are accurately remembering the last two years of the competition held in Las Vegas and Tampa in 2002 and 2003 I believe. Nobody came close to winning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

That cheating fucknut bar Rhodies ruined it for everybody.

Post subject: Re: How in the World can you remember so much...?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
how in the World can you remember so much...?

Cloudy my friend, ppl say the same thing to me...with the little useless nuggets Buzztime put in the games to stump everybody (I end up the only one in the room who does).

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. IIRC, M$M was held twice in Vegas. The first was 2002 and was a special installation at the Gameworks on The Strip. FWIW, that Gameworks would get NTN BT "officially" installed a few years later, but it no longer has it. The well known MEGUMI won with the closest score without going over, and took home $10k, which he promised to invest in NTN stock. :roll: :lol:

The second Vegas M$M was 2004 (?) and was held at the now NTN-less TGIFriday's west of the strip on Sahara Ave. There were numerous technical difficulties just getting it started, which was more than enough to force more than a few interested onlookers to throw up their hands and stomp out in more than a lil disgust.

With respect to the M$M held in Tampa, IIRC it was held at now NTN-less Bilmar Station Carrollwood. There was a delay in starting that one, as one of their local players was reluctant to turn in his Playmaker, under the mistaken assumption that he would be allowed to play along.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:55 am 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

I still have the pin I won in the 2004 game. I didn't get picked for the Vegas trip and I don't remember how that ended up - I'm not surprised to hear that there were glitches.
I think MEGUMI wrote a report somewhere online about his experiences in the 2002 event in Vegas. IIRC, in order to win the million, one had to match the scores in BOTH games and none of the players were able to even get within striking distance of the target score in either game. Shortly after that event, they re-ran the "million dollar" games on the regular network. I remember the questions were unusually brutal AND the timer started counting down much sooner (almost immediately). It looked like BT wasn't going to give away the million easily.