New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Games I Never Want To see Again
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 am 
Centenarian

"Know Your Server" may have been the worst. Begun in the Mistake of '08, you were supposed to guess the likes of the server thousands of miles away. Even guessing the likes and dislikes of a waitress half my age in Puyallup, WA made me feel creepy. "Blur" was intolerable, but this one topped the Buzztime List of Epic Fails for me.

Post subject: Re: Games I Never Want To see Again
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:48 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Never even attempted that one. Killed it at the home bar and ignored it on travels. I did try Blur a time or two on the road, with results topping out at mediocre if I had a run of good luck.

Really though I don't expect to like such games and know some do, so other than having to put up with them or take a break when travelling, such as I still do with Pulse or Playback, it's not really a big complaint for me. They are games for other people and that's that. I'm much more irked by games that could be, should be and are nominally claimed to be for the more general or academic trivia fan that turn out not to be, and become simply more pop culture dross. Losing the Arts section of Six at about the same time was one such (spare me dictionary "definitions" - really usages of any level of accuracy - which would include an instruction leaflet for a soap dispenser. If we saw a TV listing for a new show promising an in-depth discussion of the arts, we all know no rap or sitcom fans would tune in expecting to see their favorites), as well as the inclusion of the same material in Showdown or Brainbuster against repeated assurances. Funnily enough I had the opposite issue with Cross-Checked. My interest has faded since leaving MN, but for a decade or so I followed hockey quite closely. But I'd still be very lucky with 2/3 of the points and not too surprised to be closer to half. My poor scores actually were not the complaint, as I ranked decently. Nobody had consistently good scores on that game because it routinely delved into arcana that even far more passionate fans of longer memory than I stared at blankly. Who was the visiting team in the final Montreal Canadiens' home game in the 1943-44 season?

In the vein of this thread though one nigh universally panned short-lived game I actually enjoyed in small doses was Battle of the Sexes. Partly because it took anybody on the ball at most one play, if not just reading the intro, to know that signing in as the opposite gender was the best strategy. The questions for both were still mostly vapid, but at least it had a semi-interesting twist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Zobmondo and RipCurl come to mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:01 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Abused News was pretty bad when it was first played once a week... Then they decided it should be played nightly, which rendered it absolutely horrible.

Never played ZobMondo or RipCurl. I vaguely remember those games existing and seeing that they were of zero interest to me.

Another one they used to have longggggg ago, a once-a-week 30 minute game... Antatogist Trivia or somesuch... Full of stupid trick questions and useless clues. Just awful.

Example of a question might be:

HOW MANY STAIR STEPS TO THE TOP FLOOR OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING?

1. 1842
2. 1840
3. 1847
4. 1836
5. 1849

("clues")

NOT THAT ONE
NOT THE OTHER ONE
IT'S THAT ONE

15 questions of similar "quality"... What a waste of a half-hour that was...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I liked Abused News when it was weekly on Friday Nights, if I remember the night correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Last year I started going to live trivia but they kept doing questions like the Empire State Building one above. It was damn terrible and why I eventually quit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
I liked Abused News when it was weekly on Friday Nights, if I remember the night correctly.

So Correct, Scar

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I also liked Abused News, and would love to see it brought back.

A current game that I would never want to see again is The Pulse.

-- RWM