New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Historic Showdown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It's been a while since this thread has been expanded.

I hope former fans of Abused News listen to NPR's "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!", the comedy news hours which typically airs in late morning on my NPR news/talk outlet, KNOW 91.1 FM. Michael Danforth, Benevolent Overlord, has arranged a staff of employees who mix the mundane with the genuinely weird, and bring in some astonishingly quick-witted talent to embellish the material. Even when on the road, I'll figure out what local station is carrying this quiz and glom onto it. The listener has the privilege of playing along with the contestants. Trigger Alert: if you believe in Donald Trump, listening to this show shall cost you your virginity.

But what I'd really like to see, planted among the Countdown quizzes that I play in afternoon, on Sunday or Monday perhaps, some quiet day of the week, would be a repeat Showdown quiz, a quiz that hasn't aired in 15 or 20 or 25 years. Over that many years the very notion of trivia, owing to internet access and popular interest, has become more granular. Were we really that naive, twenty years ago? And yet Showdown has also preserved a semblance of topicality, so that if you were presented with a Historic Showdown introduced with the following apology:

This Quiz First Aired On Such-n-Such a Date in 1997:

Which woman recently became the first female US Secretary of State?

If you didn't have the year in mind, you might chose someone not born in Czechoslovakia.

I propose Showdown because entertainment can be a bit ephemeral, but scientific and artistic and political progress all contribute to what Henry Miller was pleased to describe, in one the few moments of clarity he enjoyed when not being flagged by horny women, as the "interrelatedness of things."

The one thing all trivia enjoys is that it is historical. The event, the song, the movie, the battle, the vaccine, have all been described. In the perfect present tense.

Post subject: Re: Historic Showdown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 pm 
Himself Fodder

This aired back in the day where BT thought repeat games would catch on and they scheduled an obscene amount of them. The players revolted, and rightfully so. It was idiotic.

So there's no way I could support any sort of repeat game, even if it originally aired 20 years ago.