New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bring Back Passport
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:49 am 
Lotsa Posta

k....long shot,but what the heck.

I like the game, and played it many times on wednesdays. Made me go out & play on Wednesdays. I'd admint that I studied for some of the games, sometimes just to boost the ole ego (Spain, Portugal, Med Countries, Kentucky, Scotland and Chicago).

Bring this one back and drop two Six games.

Yoda.....love the ole days.

Post subject: Re: Bring Back Passport
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

MiniYoda wrote:
k....long shot,but what the heck.

I like the game, and played it many times on wednesdays. Made me go out & play on Wednesdays. I'd admint that I studied for some of the games, sometimes just to boost the ole ego (Spain, Portugal, Med Countries, Kentucky, Scotland and Chicago).

Bring this one back and drop two Six games.

Yoda.....love the ole days.

I'd like to see more geography based games as well but not necessarily Passport or Passport in the same format as previous.

Even though I played Passport regularly and enjoyed it, I had two problems with the game:

(1) The first round was completely useless

(2) The game rewarded cramming or use of references instead of using the information that is already in your head..perhaps they could only announce the general area in advance (for example, if the destination is Tuscany, the pre-annoucment would be "Italian Region"). Another possibility is to announce three possibilities like with Playback.

Instead of Passport, my personal preference would be to add 1 or 2 half hour general geography games per week with the questions mixed up from all over the world and a separate half hour game once per week focused on a country or region like the recent Mexico Topix.

On thing puzzles me about your post..why would you propose dropping two SIX games. even if the geography game ran at 9pm ET/6pm PT, it would only replace one SIX.

There is a serious lack of programming several nights per week..I'd rather BT expand their offerings than replace existing games. I can dream..can't I?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Passport is my second-favorite of the NTN games (after Showdown), and, like many of you, I would love to see it return. I suspect that it was more expensive to produce, however, because of the photos, maps, and other graphics, and so is unlikely to return soon. I did not mind that players could bone up in advance, and even thought that encouraging us to read a little about an area before a game helped with our continuing education. Of course, the real advantage was to those teams who could bring in a ringer who had lived in the area in question.

Cheers,

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:25 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Falcon wrote:
Passport is my second-favorite of the NTN games (after Showdown), and, like many of you, I would love to see it return. I suspect that it was more expensive to produce, however, because of the photos, maps, and other graphics, and so is unlikely to return soon. I did not mind that players could bone up in advance, and even thought that encouraging us to read a little about an area before a game helped with our continuing education. Of course, the real advantage was to those teams who could bring in a ringer who had lived in the area in question.

Cheers,

I remember once the topic was Louisiana. I was playing at a non-sharing watering hole and this guy pipes up and says that the game is already his because that was his home state. He lost. I didn't bother telling him that I was originally from a neighboring state. He did well but didn't know his history and geography as well as he should have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yeah bring some kind of Geography game back because there is none now.
Several long time players around here have quit playing because of the bullshit questions/games of late.

But I guess that is BT's plan to cater to the dumb fucks.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
Several long time players around here have quit playing because of the bullshit questions/games of late.

I would welcome a generalized Geography game, but wouldn't want to play Passport again.

Post subject: "Passport" could have been fixed...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
BUD wrote:

I would welcome a generalized Geography game, but wouldn't want to play Passport again.

(I've said this before.) "Passport" could have been fixed, instead of dumped. The ridiculous map question had to go. All of those idiotic questions about shopping markets in Singapore, nature reserves in Paraguay, restaurants in Luxenberg, etc., needed to be replaced with more serious questions.

I think more players would have liked "Passport", if it got rid of the stupid questions, where they wound up having to guess on impossible, obscure questions over and over again.

Post subject: Re: "Passport" could have been fixed...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
scar wrote:
BUD wrote:

(I've said this before.) "Passport" could have been fixed, instead of dumped. The ridiculous map question had to go. All of those idiotic questions about shopping markets in Singapore, nature reserves in Paraguay, restaurants in Luxenberg, etc., needed to be replaced with more serious questions.

I think more players would have liked "Passport", if it got rid of the stupid questions, where they wound up having to guess on impossible, obscure questions over and over again.

Cloudy, I fully agree.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

You can bring back Assport, but please do not put it on Wednesday or Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
(I've said this before.) "Passport" could have been fixed, instead of dumped. The ridiculous map question had to go. All of those idiotic questions about shopping markets in Singapore, nature reserves in Paraguay, restaurants in Luxenberg, etc., needed to be replaced with more serious questions...

It's "Luxembourg". :mrgreen:

I had liked Passport fine as it was. The map question was one I usually looked forward too. If it asked to show the location of a capital city, I usually nailed it. Occasionally, the picture before it was of some place I had never heard of, and I would have to locate it on the following map question, and that would be pretty hopeless. But generally I liked the map questions.

As far as "idiotic and obscure", well I guess most trivia questions are that to some people. I would give a similar complaint about most of Spotlight or Sports Trivia Challenge, whereas a question about Singapore or Paraguay helps to improve our knowledge of these places or their cultures.

If I recall correctly, Passport was a Wednesday game. I guess either that or Thursday would be best, which would eliminate one of the Six games. Six is one of my favorite games, although I question having it on consecutive nights. But I would like to see Passport brought back. :)

-- RWM

Post subject: The Map...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I had liked Passport fine as it was. The map question was one I usually looked forward too. If it asked to show the location of a capital city, I usually nailed it. Occasionally, the picture before it was of some place I had never heard of, and I would have to locate it on the following map question, and that would be pretty hopeless. But generally I liked the map questions.

-- RWM

The map question would constantly disect the country in stange ways. They had a habit of drawing the lines so that correct answer could be in a couple of their imaginary sectors. It was often so difficult that JESSE started bringing an Atlas for the question.

I can envision a map question, they might have come up with, where the thing you had to locate was the "Four Corners" monument, and have to choose what state it was in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
All of those idiotic questions about shopping markets in Singapore, nature reserves in Paraguay, restaurants in Luxenberg, etc., needed to be replaced with more serious questions...

As far as "idiotic and obscure", well I guess most trivia questions are that to some people. I would give a similar complaint about most of Spotlight or Sports Trivia Challenge, whereas a question about Singapore or Paraguay helps to improve our knowledge of these places or their cultures.

-- RWM

I didn't have a problem with Singapore, Paraguay, or Luxenberg questions. What I didn't care for were the questions about obscure shopping markets, nature reserves. and restaurants. I hated those questions no matter what country they might have been in.

Post subject: Don't think you need to worry...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:

Don't think you need to worry. "Assport" is gone for good. It's more likely that "Restore Order" or the "Million Dollar Match" will come back before you ever see "Assport" again.

Post subject: Re: Don't think you need to worry...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

Don't think you need to worry. "Assport" is gone for good. It's more likely that "Restore Order" or the "Million Dollar Match" will come back before you ever see "Assport" again.

I wouldn't have minded the game if they didn't announce the category ahead of time. I'd accept the Playback version where you can research a round or two, but it's not fun playing against someone with an Atlas and Wikipedia print-outs for an entire game.

Admittedly, there is very little as boring to me as Geography, and I'm somewhat biased. :)

And, yeah, the way they divided the maps was incredibly odd on some nights.

On the other hand, I liked the restaurants and obscure markets questions that you disliked. I tend to find those more interesting than landmarks and rivers and such, though. No idea why.

Post subject: Re: The Map...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
It was often so difficult that JESSE started bringing an Atlas for the question.

And yet, use of electronic references is a mortal sin.

For the record, the vast majority of you have no clue as to how many top teams use/used paper references in every single premium game except for Six.

BO

Post subject: Re: The Map...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
It was often so difficult that JESSE started bringing an Atlas for the question.

For the record, the vast majority of you have no clue as to how many top teams use/used paper references in every single premium game except for Six.

I'll go further; most have no fucking idea if using references helped at all. IMO it is downright fucking impossible for anyone not at a site that used references to be able to determine that it helped.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, I never use references, hardly ever played Passport, and objected when I saw Jesse bring in the Atlas for Passport once.

That said, maybe it's more from laziness and wanting to enjoy the game instead of figuring out how to effectively use references than a "moral" issue.

But, I don't plan on using references, so I'd prefer if others didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 am 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:
Well, I never use references, hardly ever played Passport, and objected when I saw Jesse bring in the Atlas for Passport once.

That said, maybe it's more from laziness and wanting to enjoy the game instead of figuring out how to effectively use references than a "moral" issue.

I will confess to, at one time, using study guides. For Passport and some Topix, I would research the subject on the internet (where I worked at the time was VERY slow), and print out some key information. I would review the notes during breaks between games leading up to Passport/Topix, but have the barkeep throw the notes away before the games started. The notes were available to anyone who wanted to study before the game, to make it somewhat "fair".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 am 
Lord of Scaratings

MiniYoda wrote:
scar wrote:

I will confess to, at one time, using study guides. For Passport and some Topix, I would research the subject on the internet (where I worked at the time was VERY slow), and print out some key information. I would review the notes during breaks between games leading up to Passport/Topix, but have the barkeep throw the notes away before the games started. The notes were available to anyone who wanted to study before the game, to make it somewhat "fair".

I've got no issue with that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Glad to see that everyone wants to see a Geography game return to buzztime. It's long over due.

A one hour game on Wed. would be the best slot, before SIX, moving the other games earlier. Yes, CA would get screwed again on that.

I'm not saying it should be like Passport, there is no need for a destination, just 30-40 wide ranging global geography questions.
A few pictures would be nice even the dreaded map would be interesting but not necessary.

Bring "something" back, geography is a main stable of trivia, there is no questioning that.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Don't worry about geography...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

I wouldn't have minded the game if they didn't announce the category ahead of time. I'd accept the Playback version where you can research a round or two, but it's not fun playing against someone with an Atlas and Wikipedia print-outs for an entire game.

Admittedly, there is very little as boring to me as Geography, and I'm somewhat biased. :)

And, yeah, the way they divided the maps was incredibly odd on some nights.

On the other hand, I liked the restaurants and obscure markets questions that you disliked. I tend to find those more interesting than landmarks and rivers and such, though. No idea why.

DANTE, don't worry about geography... We've got FSHMAN...! He is a walking Atlas. I think he has a GPS chip embedded in his head. Hmm, restaurants...? Think you caught me on that one. Guess I have to fess up and tell the truth. I have no recollection of any questions about restaurants in Luxenberg. Yep, I just made it up. I make a lot of things up, and thought I could get away with that one. You got me...

p.s. I'm guessing you must have a "Tom Tom" or "Garmin" to find your way around. :lol:

p.p.s. Then there is always the possibility that JESSE and the Atlas he carries with him might show up some time, when we need him.

Post subject: Oh, we worried about ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

BO

Oh, we worried about our mortal souls, and avoided committing sins that might have cost us to lose them. Whenever JESSE pulled his Atlas out, we all looked the other way, and made our own guesses. Though we didn't win very often (probably never), I think most of us still have a shot at making it to Heaven.

BO, actually most of us on the "ScaRatings" have a very good idea of the cheating that goes on out there. The old "ScaRatings" had at least one lengthly thread about how bars cheat on trivia.

p.s. I've played trivia with you many times, and I know you are a straight shooter, and damn good at that. You play honestly, and I can understrand why it pisses you off when cheaters get scores they don't deserve.

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Liljol is usually right...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I'll go further; most have no fucking idea if using references helped at all. IMO it is downright fucking impossible for anyone not at a site that used references to be able to determine that it helped.

Liljol is usually right... JESSE's Atlas seldomly helped.

p.s. Scout's honor, I never peeked at it. Would have been a waste of time. My eyesight is much too bad. :lol:

Post subject: Might have started something I didn't intend to...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Deleted

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Thank God, somebody...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Glad to see that everyone wants to see a Geography game return to buzztime. It's long over due.

A one hour game on Wed. would be the best slot, before SIX, moving the other games earlier. Yes, CA would get screwed again on that.

I'm not saying it should be like Passport, there is no need for a destination, just 30-40 wide ranging global geography questions.
A few pictures would be nice even the dreaded map would be interesting but not necessary.

Bring "something" back, geography is a main stable of trivia, there is no questioning that.

Thank God, somebody has gotten back on topic. Let's try to follow BUD's example, and get back to trivia games we would or would not like to see brought back again.