New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Thank God, somebody...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
BUD wrote:
Glad to see that everyone wants to see a Geography game return to buzztime. It's long over due.

A one hour game on Wed. would be the best slot, before SIX, moving the other games earlier. Yes, CA would get screwed again on that.

I'm not saying it should be like Passport, there is no need for a destination, just 30-40 wide ranging global geography questions.
A few pictures would be nice even the dreaded map would be interesting but not necessary.

Bring "something" back, geography is a main stable of trivia, there is no questioning that.

Thank God, somebody has gotten back on topic. Let's try to follow BUD's example, and get back to trivia games we would or would not like to see brought back again.

Yeah trying to make a little progress. :roll: Just wondering if TomD or someone else from BT can shed any light on the possibility of a "New Geography" game??

There was talk back when MaryC was still at BT that BT was indeed working on some sort of Geography game.
Wonder what the status on that is? TomD can you tell us anything?

Thanks

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Re: The Map...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:56 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
It was often so difficult that JESSE started bringing an Atlas for the question.

And yet, use of electronic references is a mortal sin.

For the record, the vast majority of you have no clue as to how many top teams use/used paper references in every single premium game except for Six.

BO

I know for sure when we were regularly top 5 in Premiums back in the Fridays days, this didn't happen. The only time something close happened, I started one of the larger fights to ever occur in Fridays. So it's at least possible to be up there consistently without them.

Nevertheless, having competed in a great many different types of contests in my life, there is absolutely nothing that would surprise me. I've known people who literally spent thousands of hours to come up with an effective "hack" or "cheat" (depending how you wanted to look at it) to be as good as they would have been in about 500 hours of hard work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
Yeah trying to make a little progress. :roll: Just wondering if TomD or someone else from BT can shed any light on the possibility of a "New Geography" game??

There was talk back when MaryC was still at BT that BT was indeed working on some sort of Geography game.
Wonder what the status on that is? TomD can you tell us anything?

Thanks

There's definitely talk about it. As to when, or what form it would be in, I don't have a clue about that. I'm not in the loop for game development, so I pretty much find out when they announce it to the general public.

Post subject: Re: The Map...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:08 pm 
Himself Fodder

Dante wrote:
I know for sure when we were regularly top 5 in Premiums back in the Fridays days, this didn't happen. The only time something close happened, I started one of the larger fights to ever occur in Fridays. So it's at least possible to be up there consistently without them.

Of course it is possible and certainly probable depending on the players of course.

My point was that the vast majority of BT players don't have a clue as to what happens out there on the highest level, and that includes most members of this and any other trivia forum.

I also laugh when it's widely accepted that many top Passport teams used paper references while electronic references in another premium game is a hanging offense. Hell, teams have used paper references recently in Showdown and nobody bats an eye, mostly because they're ignorant to that fact.

And many are now blissfully unaware of all the cheating that is currently occurring mostly with iPhones in nearly all games. The stuff with Speed Freaks is easy to spot, other games it's harder to see, but there are plenty of clues out there for those who choose to examine it closely.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:11 pm 
Himself Fodder

TomD wrote:
There's definitely talk about it. As to when, or what form it would be in, I don't have a clue about that. I'm not in the loop for game development, so I pretty much find out when they announce it to the general public.

Hour long general geography game, no final question. Replace one of the Six's with it.

Done deal, everybody's happy.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
TomD wrote:

Hour long general geography game, no final question. Replace one of the Six's with it.

BO

I'll second that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
TomD wrote:

BO

Which night you prefer to be on????

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

MitchWolf wrote:
-BO- wrote:
TomD wrote:

BO

Which night you prefer to be on????

Personally, I think it's a better Wednesday fit for the following reason. SD is a general trivia game, albeit very difficult. Six is a general trivia game, significantly easier. Passport and Spotlight are specialty premium games. I wouldn't think you'd want the only two general trivia premium games on back to back nights. If Passport airs on Wednesday, starting on Monday the premium games go specialty, general, specialty, general, specialty.

Furthermore, SD players are more likely to play Six than Passport, and vice versa. This way those players don't have to go out on consecutive nights.

BO

Post subject: Re: Bring Back Passport
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks Tom for that info..that's about all we can hope for now. :mrgreen:

Most if not all of the Hardtimes players would like to see a Geography game back on Wed. night.

Much better than Thur. as we often play on Friday & Saturday nights. 3 nights in a row can be tough as BO said.

Though we do like SIX and thought there may be room for both on Wed. night.

Wed. is still the night where we see most of the old Passport bars. Guess everyone keeps the same schedule though there is now less players out there.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I also think that “Passport” should be on Wednesday night, for the reasons cited above.

As for Six, I never cared for it being on consecutive nights. If one Six is on Thursday, then any second one should, in my opinion, be on Sunday, right next to Sports IQ.

Just a thought.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:37 pm 
Lotsa Posta

For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to see Six remain a Wednesday game, but I crave another geography game. I'd favor putting it on Thursdays or Sundays.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to see Six remain a Wednesday game, but I crave another geography game. I'd favor putting it on Thursdays or Sundays.

Why is always Sundays and Mondays exempt from putting on non sports premium games? I would love to see a good premium game on those days. QB1 no longer exist at the two bars I play at.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:45 am 
Himself Fodder

FrankC wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

Why is always Sundays and Mondays exempt from putting on non sports premium games? I would love to see a good premium game on those days. QB1 no longer exist at the two bars I play at.

Excuse me, it's because there already are good premium games on those days.

And QB1 does exist at the two bars you play at, management simply chooses not to program it in.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

And QB1 does exist at the two bars you play at, management simply chooses not to program it in.

BO

Damn Bo, I knew yould respond to that.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 am 
Himself Fodder

FrankC wrote:
-BO- wrote:
FrankC wrote:

BO

Damn Bo, I knew yould respond to that.

You just have me trained ala Pavlov!

It's just that to someone who's been around BT for almost 20 years now, the solution is just so incredibly obvious. We currently have 6 premium games with 1 of those airing twice for 1 premium game per night. And 1 premium game per night is the way it should be. Two hour plus long games in one night just isn't the right mesh. So you take the new geography premium game and replace one of the Six's with it, and have already explained my thinking on which night it should be.

And FWIW, BT will never draw a respectable audience on Sunday for any non-sports premium game.

BO

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:37 pm 
Himself Fodder

ERIC wrote:
I remember when Six and Passport were both aired on Wednesday night... Here's an idea..

Was that Six or mini-Six? I don't remember two premium games back to back like that.

Regardless, there should never be two premiums scheduled on the same night.

BO

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ERIC wrote:
I remember when Six and Passport were both aired on Wednesday night... Here's an idea..

Was that Six or mini-Six? I don't remember two premium games back to back like that.

BO

Tis' true, but the pASSport game was a split schedule IIRC. So, we always POMOJO and a few others doing their thing. I remember Mini-Six being around 96 or 97, Mini-Six was fun. So much better than playing FOUR now..

p.s. I am taking bets if one of the matches tonight is match the show to the network. The past six FOUR games I have played have had at least one..

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ERIC wrote:

BO

It was Mini-Six. It was the 30 minute game that followed Passport. I think BT dtropped it maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe longer ago.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I distinctly remember playing Mini Six (and Passport) around October 2007. Hence it has only been gone three and a half years.

-- RWM

Last edited by zog741 on Fri May 13, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I distinctly remember playing Mini Six (and Passport) around October 2007. Hence it has only been around three and a half years.

-- RWM

I believe you are correct. In my old age the years seem to run together.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I distinctly remember playing Mini Six (and Passport) around October 2007. Hence it has only been around three and a half years.

-- RWM

Sorry, but no you do not. I moved to Vegas in August 2007 and there has never been a "mini-six" in the time since. I was replying to FrankC, but my reply never went through. I was living in Ft. Collins when they had mini-six, and that was from 96-99. Hence, you are badly mistaken..

Edit: On the other hand around October 2007 they did play a repeat Showdown game afterwards...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Sorry, but no you do not. I moved to Vegas in August 2007 and there has never been a "mini-six" in the time since. I was replying to FrankC, but my reply never went through. I was living in Ft. Collins when they had mini-six, and that was from 96-99. Hence, you are badly mistaken..

No, I don't think so. In 2007 I ended a three-year hiatus from NTN/Buzztime play. This was around the time I went fo Colorado on vacation, just two months before their Rockies made the World Series. So it was definitely 2007. And after I resumed NTN play, I played Mini Six at Adams Mill. More like two or three games over different weeks, as I recall.

Furthermore, Mini Six likely did not exist as a game in 1999. But then, I played NTN for the first time in 2000 and did not play my first Mini Six for several years afterwards.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
No, I don't think so. In 2007 I ended a three-year hiatus from NTN/Buzztime play. This was around the time I went fo Colorado on vacation, just two months before their Rockies made the World Series. So it was definitely 2007. And after I resumed NTN play, I played Mini Six at Adams Mill. More like two or three games over different weeks, as I recall.

Furthermore, Mini Six likely did not exist as a game in 1999. But then, I played NTN for the first time in 2000 and did not play my first Mini Six for several years afterwards.

-- RWM

Nope, the game, actually was mini-Trivial Pursuit. I repeat, and you can come up with Rockies making the WOrld Series or whatever, there was never a mini-six in 2007, nothing since 1998ish. Mini-SIX was 100% never a game, we asked for it for years on the buzztime board, but it never made it as a game.

Since you seem to think that you played mini-six, how was it broken up. The mini-'six' game was played before and after the premium games of the night (i insert mini-six as a like substitute for mini-trivial pursuit interactive).

Unless of course you mean the newest incarnation of six, I mean 4? After BT ruined the game..

Just for the record the game is called SIX, not mini-six. Mini-Six is the name given to the split before and after of TPI in the late 1990s.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Mini Six was based on the prior incarnation of Six, and contained the matching and final (multiplier) rounds. Nothing else. A perfect Mini Six score was around 33,000. I think I played it for the first time around 2003.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Mini Six was based on the prior incarnation of Six, and contained the matching and final (multiplier) rounds. Nothing else. A perfect Mini Six score was around 33,000. I think I played it for the first time around 2003.

-- RWM

I am starting to recall now, I think you are correct. I just don't remember ever playing after I moved to Vegas which was definitely August 2007. I remembered the old one, but not the new one. the 33,000 rang a bell.

Mea Culpa.