New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Words List for October 5, 2011
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hadn't played in a while.

Good to see another game fish...SNOOK!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am 
Himself Fodder

Wow, End Zone sure dominated the network in Lex last night. Guess I haven't been paying much attention. Eric, have you always been this good at Lex?

BO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm 
Himself Fodder

ERIC wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Wow, End Zone sure dominated the network in Lex last night. Guess I haven't been paying much attention. Eric, have you always been this good at Lex?

BO

I enjoy playing the game. I have good and bad days. We have rules when we see words and certain answers pop up.. Like on Snook.. Fish came up so we go with it. Usually if an animal is an answer we go with it. The verdure word... We try to break the word down into parts. Green comes up as a choice.. We went with it, we wernt sure on either of those words. But they were both educated guesses. 7 of the 10 were pathetically easy. Anyone could see that.

Oh sure, it's a good game. And completely understand good and bad days, everybody has them. But I guess my question is, almost 9k average is great over a 6 month span, were you averaging almost 9k a year or two ago and I just hadn't noticed?

BO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm going in the opposite direction. I think these last two weeks are my first two out of the top 10 since the game started. Certainly as a classicist in my youth the word origin is one of my main tools to guessing, so that's definitely a big help, although I am not sure it's more help now than it was one two or three years ago. My average has decreased too from mid 9s to notably under 9 in the last year, so from my POV the game is harder than the old days Eric and BO are referring to. I would stress I think the game is BETTER, and much more interesting, because it used to be 9 gimmes and a guess for the well-read three weeks out of four. But it's a game I am scoring less on than I used to, as are most given the leader boards. I'd say it's where it should be now. 3 or 4 gimmes to not alienate the casual player, 2 or 3 separators for the word fans, and usually at least a couple of stinkers, maybe three (thankfully not often guess-the-species any more - snook was not part of the toughies this week) to make the rankings worth looking at.