New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: BRING BACK THE 30 MINUTE GAME
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm 
Revolution

Nightly theme games is not only a good idea,FALCON, it's the way it was back in the day, before Carlsbad got too smart for their bottom line. Couples would make their theme night their big night out. You saw it all the time.NTN was a social event. Now, you see premium games with maybe half the former number of players. Everywhere you look, from question content to game presentation, to which demographic is actually paying the bills now, and likely in the future, Carlsbad is clueless. They seemingly have a business death wish. They're just stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:
condorsc wrote:
As a final thought, as if Carlsbad would do it the next 34 years, what about a one-hour PasTimes premium game? Jeez, now you're talking. Nirvana. Valhalla. What's wrong with it?
Well, players would love it and it would partially rejuvenate BTT, that's what's wrong with it (Sigh).

I was thinking that PasTimes would make a good one-hour game as well. Certainly there is no need for two Six games a week. I strongly disagree with moving Brainbuster away from Tuesdays, though. It definitely goes better with Showdown than with any of the other major games, and helps make it worthwhile for those who like them to come out every Tuesday. Glory Daze, however, does nothing to attract most of the Showdown fans, because of its heavy entertainment content (9 of 15 questions last week). In my experience and in surveys I have seen, only 10-20% of players like that kind of question, and most actively dislike them. Yet in the two Countdown games preceding Glory Daze last week, 9 of 15 and 10 of 15 questions were pop culture (or pop garbage as I often hear it called). This tends to drive away all but the most dedicated Showdown players. I think that part of the problem is that the company is based in southern California, where the interest in entertainment is perhaps greater than anywhere else. Certainly a look at the trivia questions posted on Facebook suggest that it is almost the exclusive interest of the current Trivia Guru.

What Carls bad management does not seem to get is that they need to focus on themes for each night to attract new customers to the locations who will come back regularly. They seem to think that all evenings have to appeal to all patrons, and that most of them want entertainment/pop culture questions. Those topics may be of interest to many bar patrons who already come out to drink, eat, etc., and a few of these may even play occasionally, but they are rarely going to add to the clientele of the location by coming back to play regularly or suggesting to others to come play these Buzztime games (unless the bar provides prizes/incentives). As Bo and others have pointed out many times, they are not interested, and one only needs to do a search for almost any handle to see that the vast majority of these have played only once or twice, if at all.

On the other hand, there are many people out there who would normally not go near a bar or rarely to the kind of restaurant with Buzztime, who would happily come out once a week if they knew that there was a chance to test their knowledge against others with similar interests across the continent. Most of us are limited by time, money, or other obligations to coming out regularly only once or twice a week, and theme nights make this attractive to many more people. This has been done to some extent and is part of the reason why numbers are highest on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, although I suspect the weekend numbers have a higher proportion of casuals, who just happened to be in the bars anyway.
I would suggest having themes such as: Sundays - Sciences / Natural Environment; Mondays - Sports; Tuesdays -general knowledge, Showdown - about reality (science, history, geograohy) or art - including music, literature, etc. - of enduring value; Wednesdays - History and geography (both political and physical); Thursdays - either general with Six, or a classical knowledge/arts theme (philosophy, mythology, religions, literature, classical art and music, etc.); Fridays - entertainment/pop culture (movies, tv, theatre, etc.); and Saturdays - pop music (say from the past 100 years).

I fear that I have deviated from the suject somewhat, but I had to get these ideas out somewhere in hopes (probably futile) that some present or future NTN manager might see and think about them.

Cheers,

Maybe Daily Topix at 10e will be better in lines of what you're thinking, Falcon and move Trendalicious at 8:30e on Fridays and Glory Daze at 8:30e Thursday. Then have 30 minute Pastimes at 7:30e on Tuesday. then have some else (like Passport) in the 8p slot on Wednesdays.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm 
-BO- Derek?

I definitely miss Pastimes being a 30 minute game. I started a thread on the buzztime forums a long time ago and surprisingly nothing was ever done.

If they did have a nightly themed 30 minute game and have Wednesdays be like Passport I might actually go on Wednesdays again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:10 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

HILTER wrote:
I definitely miss Pastimes being a 30 minute game. I started a thread on the buzztime forums a long time ago and surprisingly nothing was ever done.

If they did have a nightly themed 30 minute game and have Wednesdays be like Passport I might actually go on Wednesdays again.

i'd like a half hour Pastimes type game as well..however it is gone and not likely to come back at any time. fwiw, I like the current Wed schedule better than other other night than Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:42 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

stevej84 wrote:
HILTER wrote:

i'd like a half hour Pastimes type game as well..however it is gone and not likely to come back at any time. fwiw, I like the current Wed schedule better than other other night than Tuesday

Bring back Abused News!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:37 pm 
First Palindrome

The last post on this subject was 2011. That is how irrelevant Buzztime has made this game. I haven't played it since they moved it to Wednesday and made it a 15 minute game. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It's now know as 'History Trivia' and is still 15 minutes long. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm 
Centenarian

With all the countdown games certainly more games can fit in.I think alot of people on Saturday and Sunday are unavailable for more reasons than other days so put popular games people will play Monday through Friday without of course disrupting the current primetime schedule.I will gladly play hockey and NASCAR trivia on non primetime hours on the weekend if they brought it back.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:20 pm 
Centenarian

Currently, history is 10 questions in 15 minutes.How about 20 questions in 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:09 am 
First Palindrome

I don't see why there can't be a 15 question, 30 minute history game instead of Countdown prior to Brainbuster. In fact, I don't see why there aren't more of these speciality games. How about one on Art, or Literature, or, even, gasp, Science?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:02 am 
Lotsa Posta

strand wrote:
I don't see why there can't be a 15 question, 30 minute history game instead of Countdown prior to Brainbuster. In fact, I don't see why there aren't more of these speciality games. How about one on Art, or Literature, or, even, gasp, Science?

Because the Powers That Be at BT don't give a poop about actual trivia. BT is dying. I've reconciled myself to enjoying it as much as I can while it lasts.