New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BRING BACK THE 30 MINUTE GAME
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:27 am 
Octogenarian

You would think that there is enough historical matl to have a 30 minute game.

Post subject: Re: BRING BACK THE 30 MINUTE GAME
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:47 am 
Lotsa Posta

I don't see a problem with finding 15 questions per week. After all, there's a lot of history available. It begins now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 pm 
Lightning II

coorsya wrote:

the few times i have played it,i thought it would make a great 1/2 hour game.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:28 pm 
Centenarian

coorsya wrote:

It did a few years ago, I have always been a proponent of bringing pastimes back to 30 min/15 question format!! and by the way, put it back to Tues.nights after Glory daze and befor Brainbuster, always thought that was a great, solid Tues. night format :idea:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

richte09 wrote:
coorsya wrote:
It did a few years ago, I have always been a proponent of bringing pastimes back to 30 min/15 question format!! and by the way, put it back to Tues.nights after Glory daze and befor Brainbuster, always thought that was a great, solid Tues. night format :idea:
Not only NO, but HELLNO. The Tuesday night lineup is fine the way it is. Pushing Glory Daze back that half hour would all but shut out the Pacific Time Zone.Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I agree with the last two posters. Pastimes should be a 30 minute/15 question game, but leave the Tuesday line-up as is. In fact, Pastimes can stay on Wednesday and Speed Freaks can be sent to Buzztime Purgatory.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:09 pm 
Himself Fodder

Those who make the decisions at BT just don't have a clue when it comes to reinstating 15Q specialty games. It's a complete absurdity that the 10Q versions still exist and shows just how little BT understands about their games and customers. But of course improving the avatars is much more important than having real trivia games to play. Morons.

And I continue to laugh at those who detest SF because it's different and they aren't any good at it. The exact same thing happened with Restore Order.

BO

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
And I continue to laugh at those who detest SF because it's different and they aren't any good at it. The exact same thing happened with Restore Order.
BO

Actually, I'm okay at Speed Freaks, but it's still not one of my favorites. The same can be said for "Immortal" Words.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

liljol wrote:
richte09 wrote:
coorsya wrote:
Not only NO, but HELLNO. The Tuesday night lineup is fine the way it is. Pushing Glory Daze back that half hour would all but shut out the Pacific Time Zone.Image Image

I'd like to see Pastimes as a half hour as well but. definitely not on Tuesdays if it means having one of the specialty games at 7 ET/4 PT. that is just too early ..Tuesdays is fine the way it is.

Wednesdays is still a good fit for this game. I'd prefer a 30 minute Pastimes at 8:30 ET but would support a return to the 10 pm following SIX as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Definitely would like a 1/2 hour pastimes. Ideally, I would like it paired with a 1/2 hour Glory Daze. 7:30 start for Glory Daze then 8:00 start for Pastimes would be great. Then move Brainbuster to Wednesdays.

Alternately, would be just as happy with a 1/2 hour Pastimes on Wednesdays. I don't mind Speed Freaks though...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:55 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

[quote="
I'd like to see Pastimes as a half hour as well but. definitely not on Tuesdays if it means having one of the specialty games at 7 ET/4 PT. that is just too early ..Tuesdays is fine the way it is.

Wednesdays is still a good fit for this game. I'd prefer a 30 minute Pastimes at 8:30 ET but would support a return to the 10 pm following SIX as well.[/quote]

I don't like games at 10:00 ET, bumping one of the few Countdowns I can play during the week.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Definitely would like a 1/2 hour pastimes. Ideally, I would like it paired with a 1/2 hour Glory Daze. 7:30 start for Glory Daze then 8:00 start for Pastimes would be great. Then move Brainbuster to Wednesdays.
Hells bells. Image Not only NO, not only HELLNO, but F_NO. Brainbuster must stay on Tuesdays as the lead-in to Showdown. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:02 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

The only thing we will be able to agree on is that there is no easy solution...Biggest thing is to get Pastimes to be a 1/2 hour game again

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:50 pm 
Himself Fodder

ranger wrote:
I don't like games at 10:00 ET, bumping one of the few Countdowns I can play during the week.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

BB is a natural lead in to SD, has been since 1992 with the exception of a short time where yet another asinine NTN/BT decision placed it on Wednesday. It won't be moving.

PT is also a natural Tuesday game, and Tuesdays was where it had the most success by far. It was moved to Wednesday during the regime of the totally ignorant from where 10Q games arose.

GD is a game that has done well on Tuesday but isn't in the same genre as SD, BB, and PT. It's a game that would fit most any night save the sports nights.

Personally, I have no issue whatsoever with GD, but PT is a better fit in that time slot. I truly enjoyed Tuesday nights when GD aired at 7e/4p followed by the games mentioned above, but I also understand that wasn't fair to the west coasters. IIRC, GD was a split game then, wasn't it? And those truly suck for everybody.

Now, why BT decided that GD should have 15Q's while PT has but 10 is a question that can never be answered by logical minds. And why the other specialty games haven't been upgraded, or rather put back to their rightful state, after the absurd neutering is beyond me. Guess we gotta make sure those avatars get upgraded! :)

BO

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ranger wrote:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

BB is a natural lead in to SD, has been since 1992 with the exception of a short time where yet another asinine NTN/BT decision placed it on Wednesday. It won't be moving.

PT is also a natural Tuesday game, and Tuesdays was where it had the most success by far. It was moved to Wednesday during the regime of the totally ignorant from where 10Q games arose.

GD is a game that has done well on Tuesday but isn't in the same genre as SD, BB, and PT. It's a game that would fit most any night save the sports nights.

Personally, I have no issue whatsoever with GD, but PT is a better fit in that time slot. I truly enjoyed Tuesday nights when GD aired at 7e/4p followed by the games mentioned above, but I also understand that wasn't fair to the west coasters. IIRC, GD was a split game then, wasn't it? And those truly suck for everybody.

Now, why BT decided that GD should have 15Q's while PT has but 10 is a question that can never be answered by logical minds. And why the other specialty games haven't been upgraded, or rather put back to their rightful state, after the absurd neutering is beyond me. Guess we gotta make sure those avatars get upgraded! :)

BO

One thing needs to return is Jukebox in PB and get rid of the # round. I like the # round at first now I HATE IT WITH A PASSION.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Mitchwolf is banned for being on the wrong thread - oh, sorry, that's another thread.

I agree with everyone that Pastimes should be at least 1/2 hour and that it is potentially one of NTNBT's best games and that it is a good fit with Showdown and Brainbuster for Tuesday nights. I would be happy to see it replace Glory Daze, which is basically an entertainment quiz that would fit better on Fridays or Saturdays (or any day but Tuesday)!

It is a mystery why management continues to push the entertainment trivia instead of the general knowledge quizzes that most regular players prefer. Perhaps it is easier to persuade new bar managers who have no interest in the games that these questions will be popular, and NTN has no serious interest in attracting the kind of return customers that might cause the locations to retain the system for the long run.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Falcon wrote:
It is a mystery why management continues to push the entertainment trivia instead of the general knowledge quizzes that most regular players prefer.

If the average regular player despised entertainment trivia Spotlight and the entertainment themed Topix on Fridays would not have more players the average week than any other game. Showdown is the only one that has better numbers virtually every week. Brainbuster is usually close.

The people who are attracted to Showdown most definitely have a preference for general knowledge questions.

Most regular players like balance. They simply want moderately challenging games with no single topic dominating the game

Quote:
Perhaps it is easier to persuade new bar managers who have no interest in the games that these questions will be popular

True. Non-players usually think that entertainment and sports would be the most popular. After all, much bar conversation that they would overhear are based in those two areas.

Quote:
, and NTN has no serious interest in attracting the kind of return customers that might cause the locations to retain the system for the long run.

If this is true, then the company has no serious interest in remaining in business. The company's viability is dependent on having more existing sites retain the game while at the same time signing up enough new sites to increase the total sales.

I think in some cases it is poor selection of sites - I can name numerous sites that some rep talked into taking the game that had no business installing the system. The bars are simply not the right format or have a 'head office' that doesnt really support the installation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BT has shifted away from its core and they will be hard pressed to ever get it back. Just a few short years ago, pre-15 minute crap they regularly averaged 11-12k in Spotlight and Showdown. They made SD so easy a donkey could score 60k, numbers dropped, they neutered every game around, dropped rankings, numbers dropped even more. Spotlight, they added the final crap question, the numbers kept dropping. Have they cracked 10k in either of these games in recent memory?

I started playing these games from right before I turned 21. I got hooked on good questions, not fluff. I don't even hardly pay attention to the 15 minute games anymore, they mean less than nothing. Mondays get real old, from 4:30-6:00 is constant boring games, the only thing to do in the mean time is pounding beer until the premium games.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:
Mitchwolf is banned for being on the wrong thread - oh, sorry, that's another thread.

You are forgiven. Re-ban me when I ban again.

Quote:
I agree with everyone that Pastimes should be at least 1/2 hour and that it is potentially one of NTNBT's best games and that it is a good fit with Showdown and Brainbuster for Tuesday nights. I would be happy to see it replace Glory Daze, which is basically an entertainment quiz that would fit better on Fridays or Saturdays (or any day but Tuesday)!

I agree with u that GD should be on Saturday as well returning Get Reel! (as a 1/2 game) to the lineup and make Tuned In to a 1/2 hour.

That way the lineup should be on Saturdays:

7:30pE/4:30pP - Glory Daze
8pE/5pP -Get Reel!
8:30pE/5:30p - Tuned In
9pE/6pP - Playback in Original Form (no # round and plus Jukebox Round)

Quote:
It is a mystery why management continues to push the entertainment trivia instead of the general knowledge quizzes that most regular players prefer. Perhaps it is easier to persuade new bar managers who have no interest in the games that these questions will be popular, and NTN has no serious interest in attracting the kind of return customers that might cause the locations to retain the system for the long run.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:27 pm 
Revolution

How about this- remember Mini-Six? Move one of the Tue. pre-SD games to Wed. Re-insert 30-minute Pastimes. Reinstate Mini-Six on Wed., inserting Tuesday's prep game you just moved. Insert another 30-minute PasTimes on Thursday, moving a 15-minute game elsewhere.Voila. What the hell's wrong with that? BT would at one stroke demonstrate their regard for the "legacy" players and infuse new life in the system for them. By the way, I for one appreciate the West Coast players chiming in whenever they feel slighted on their early evening games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Pastimes needs to stay on Wed. nights. BT can move Speed Freaks to Tues if they wish.

Wed. players would love to have Brainbuster back on Wed where it used to be. No need for mini six and SIX on the same night. However, a new game would be good.

Bottom line is BT will never get agreement between players on a schedule. But they could put a few more games back to 30 mins.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 pm 
Himself Fodder

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Bud here, which is unusual.

There are just certain games that belong on certain nights depending on what premium game is being aired. BB was on Wednesdays just for a couple of years, before that it was on Tuesday for 10 years or so. The two games that mesh with SD are BB and PasTimes, no other games on the network come close. BT had it right with PT, BB, and SD in that order before the idiots took over. And by the way, SF won't work at all on Tuesday for the same reason that Restore Order didn't work. The average age of the Tuesday player is older than the other nights and those quick reflex games won't fly at all. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love those games, but they aren't the proper Tuesday fit.

GD is a game that could go on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, but certainly not Saturday. Saturday is reserved for music only, and that's fine. If PT was moved back to it's rightful Tuesday place, GD could replace it on Wednesday. And I'm also a fan of GD, for some reason I'm getting better and better at it as I get older. Too many of the questions now are right in my wheelhouse.

But who am I kidding? BT won't arrange the schedule so it makes sense. We've had 10Q specialty games for 2 1/2 years now that they know everybody hates and they haven't changed it. It also sucks that we have 6 pissant BTT games in a row before STC on Monday nights. Hell, BT even acknowledges that CD is their base game, yet BTT dominates when it should be the other way around.

BO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 am 
Revolution

BUD wrote:
Pastimes needs to stay on Wed. nights. BT can move Speed Freaks to Tues if they wish.

Wed. players would love to have Brainbuster back on Wed where it used to be. No need for mini six and SIX on the same night. However, a new game would be good.

Bottom line is BT will never get agreement between players on a schedule. But they could put a few more games back to 30 mins.

Let me try it again-

Tue. night-30-min. PasTimes, Showdown

Wed. night-Brain Buster, Mini Six

Thur. night- Brain Buster, 30-min. PasTimes, Six

With the exception of PasTimes and Brain Buster on Thur. night, pretty much the old schedule.

As a final thought, as if Carlsbad would do it the next 34 years, what about a one-hour PasTimes premium game? Jeez, now you're talking. Nirvana. Valhalla. What's wrong with it?
Well, players would love it and it would partially rejuvenate BTT, that's what's wrong with it (Sigh).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:12 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

condorsc wrote:
As a final thought, as if Carlsbad would do it the next 34 years, what about a one-hour PasTimes premium game? Jeez, now you're talking. Nirvana. Valhalla. What's wrong with it?
Well, players would love it and it would partially rejuvenate BTT, that's what's wrong with it (Sigh).

I was thinking that PasTimes would make a good one-hour game as well. Certainly there is no need for two Six games a week. I strongly disagree with moving Brainbuster away from Tuesdays, though. It definitely goes better with Showdown than with any of the other major games, and helps make it worthwhile for those who like them to come out every Tuesday. Glory Daze, however, does nothing to attract most of the Showdown fans, because of its heavy entertainment content (9 of 15 questions last week). In my experience and in surveys I have seen, only 10-20% of players like that kind of question, and most actively dislike them. Yet in the two Countdown games preceding Glory Daze last week, 9 of 15 and 10 of 15 questions were pop culture (or pop garbage as I often hear it called). This tends to drive away all but the most dedicated Showdown players. I think that part of the problem is that the company is based in southern California, where the interest in entertainment is perhaps greater than anywhere else. Certainly a look at the trivia questions posted on Facebook suggest that it is almost the exclusive interest of the current Trivia Guru.

What Carls bad management does not seem to get is that they need to focus on themes for each night to attract new customers to the locations who will come back regularly. They seem to think that all evenings have to appeal to all patrons, and that most of them want entertainment/pop culture questions. Those topics may be of interest to many bar patrons who already come out to drink, eat, etc., and a few of these may even play occasionally, but they are rarely going to add to the clientele of the location by coming back to play regularly or suggesting to others to come play these Buzztime games (unless the bar provides prizes/incentives). As Bo and others have pointed out many times, they are not interested, and one only needs to do a search for almost any handle to see that the vast majority of these have played only once or twice, if at all.

On the other hand, there are many people out there who would normally not go near a bar or rarely to the kind of restaurant with Buzztime, who would happily come out once a week if they knew that there was a chance to test their knowledge against others with similar interests across the continent. Most of us are limited by time, money, or other obligations to coming out regularly only once or twice a week, and theme nights make this attractive to many more people. This has been done to some extent and is part of the reason why numbers are highest on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, although I suspect the weekend numbers have a higher proportion of casuals, who just happened to be in the bars anyway.
I would suggest having themes such as: Sundays - Sciences / Natural Environment; Mondays - Sports; Tuesdays -general knowledge, Showdown - about reality (science, history, geograohy) or art - including music, literature, etc. - of enduring value; Wednesdays - History and geography (both political and physical); Thursdays - either general with Six, or a classical knowledge/arts theme (philosophy, mythology, religions, literature, classical art and music, etc.); Fridays - entertainment/pop culture (movies, tv, theatre, etc.); and Saturdays - pop music (say from the past 100 years).

I fear that I have deviated from the suject somewhat, but I had to get these ideas out somewhere in hopes (probably futile) that some present or future NTN manager might see and think about them.

Cheers,

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:17 am 
Lotsa Posta

Falcon wrote:
I was thinking that PasTimes would make a good one-hour game as well. Certainly there is no need for two Six games a week. I strongly disagree with moving Brainbuster away from Tuesdays, though. It definitely goes better with Showdown than with any of the other major games, and helps make it worthwhile for those who like them to come out every Tuesday. Glory Daze, however, does nothing to attract most of the Showdown fans, because of its heavy entertainment content (9 of 15 questions last week). In my experience and in surveys I have seen, only 10-20% of players like that kind of question, and most actively dislike them. Yet in the two Countdown games preceding Glory Daze last week, 9 of 15 and 10 of 15 questions were pop culture (or pop garbage as I often hear it called). This tends to drive away all but the most dedicated Showdown players. I think that part of the problem is that the company is based in southern California, where the interest in entertainment is perhaps greater than anywhere else. Certainly a look at the trivia questions posted on Facebook suggest that it is almost the exclusive interest of the current Trivia Guru.

What Carls bad management does not seem to get is that they need to focus on themes for each night to attract new customers to the locations who will come back regularly. They seem to think that all evenings have to appeal to all patrons, and that most of them want entertainment/pop culture questions. Those topics may be of interest to many bar patrons who already come out to drink, eat, etc., and a few of these may even play occasionally, but they are rarely going to add to the clientele of the location by coming back to play regularly or suggesting to others to come play these Buzztime games (unless the bar provides prizes/incentives). As Bo and others have pointed out many times, they are not interested, and one only needs to do a search for almost any handle to see that the vast majority of these have played only once or twice, if at all.

On the other hand, there are many people out there who would normally not go near a bar or rarely to the kind of restaurant with Buzztime, who would happily come out once a week if they knew that there was a chance to test their knowledge against others with similar interests across the continent. Most of us are limited by time, money, or other obligations to coming out regularly only once or twice a week, and theme nights make this attractive to many more people. This has been done to some extent and is part of the reason why numbers are highest on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, although I suspect the weekend numbers have a higher proportion of casuals, who just happened to be in the bars anyway.
I would suggest having themes such as: Sundays - Sciences / Natural Environment; Mondays - Sports; Tuesdays -general knowledge, Showdown - about reality (science, history, geograohy) or art - including music, literature, etc. - of enduring value; Wednesdays - History and geography (both political and physical); Thursdays - either general with Six, or a classical knowledge/arts theme (philosophy, mythology, religions, literature, classical art and music, etc.); Fridays - entertainment/pop culture (movies, tv, theatre, etc.); and Saturdays - pop music (say from the past 100 years).

I fear that I have deviated from the suject somewhat, but I had to get these ideas out somewhere in hopes (probably futile) that some present or future NTN manager might see and think about them.

Cheers,

This is all so very well put and I agree so very much. The problem is that this would necessitate a complete paradigm shift in Carlsbad both in thought and in resource allocation and I don't see either happening anytime.