New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: SciFiles challenge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 am 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
AARDVK wrote:
I don't know if this makes anyone feel better or worse, but had it not been for an unfortunate combination of circumstances, COOGS at No. 2 would have been able to play the full 15 questions, and because we aced No. 1 (Asimov/I, Robot), both he and Mezzanine would have been No. 1.

Here's what happened: Mezzanine is a two-story establishment, with a long winding stairway to the second floor where everyone plays. It has an elevator, but the elevator was out-of-service, so COOGS had to confront the longest stairway ever he's gone up on his artificial foot (a slow process). I went on ahead and asked for boxes, but it was not until he made it up and tried to sign on that anyone realized the server had given us a "not authorized at this location" one. By the time it could be replaced we were on question 2.

Next week we'll go early just in case the elevator is still not operating, and I'll start the signon for each box to make sure they're all working.

We missed "War Games" until the final clue and had to guess on Ethring cycle after eliminating Gaiman and a couple of others (that's where COOGS jumped ahead). I got distracted thinking of Hugo Gernsback as being more of an editor than an author, so we dropped points on that as well. Fortunately COOGS had watched a lot of Quantum Leap recently and remembered Bingo.

Brooke/AARDVK

So, you're saying that Coogs missed an I, Robot question because of an artificial foot.
Of all the wonderfully ironic reasons I've heard over the years for missing a question, that may be a slight second place finisher behind the time I missed a question about the Rijksmuseum because Rik Smits was seated in the booth in front of me and I was having trouble seeing around him. But that's a true story for another time. :mrgreen:
I had just seen a reference to the Gernsback story in a book I was reading at the library last week. Yay, timing!
At any rate, thanks for the pity points. :D

Cool. Been to the Rijksmuseum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am 
Centenarian

After having some concern over bars being affected by Hurricane Sandy, I have verified that all bars in reasonable contention for the top spots in the Sci-files tournament are open tonight. So, the tournament will end tonight as scheduled.

A time such as this, when people have lost their lives and homes, truly humbles our efforts tonight. Our thoughts are with those who were affected by this storm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

That game tough enough for everyone? :shock:
Honestly, I thought we had pissed the whole thing away with that crappy 12K score.
We missed the Upton Sinclair q; GAVV guessed on Russ for 1K and I got half; couldn't remember The Trollenberg Terror accurately from my youth (I sort of remember its appearance, but decided poorly between mutant and alien); got half on "Wonder Woman" after a self-proclaimed brain fart by the Gavvinator; also missed Night of the Big Heat q because I was totally kerfuffled and defaulted to "Ice". I told GAVV that the title puts me in mind of the cheap British films from the time (the ones that Cushing, Lee, or both were putting out with stunning regularity), but I didn't recognize this title.
It turns out I was thinking along the correct lines as I remember this film as Island of the Burning Damned. Didn't the question ask how the creatures were killed? My first thought was radiation, but that's Island of Terror sticking its nose in my business. I seem to recall the creatures being blown up by explosives toward the end of Island of the Burning Damned. Is the British version different? Am I misremembering this film? Am I simply off my rocker? It's a mystery... :mrgreen:
Congrats to all of the geeks out there for sharing my pain and thanks to B O D and crew at Shenanigans for putting this little soiree together.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 pm 
Centenarian

It was our pleasure to do, and hope to do it again next year. I hope to do a better job with it since I have learned from my mistakes.

My preliminary talley shows 86th Street Pub in first, Mezzanine second, and Buffaloes Bar and Grill II third. The official scoring will be posted by Buzztime tomorrow. Congratulations to all.

We started out strong with 4,000 on all boxes. Then we proceded to screw the pooch the rest of the way. It got ugly. Too many misses to list here. Besides, how tacky would it be to place in our own tournament?

B O D/Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Congrats to 86th Street Pub--we needed a good game tonight, and we flubbed two questions too many.

Thanks so much to B O D and Shenanigans for setting this up, and BT for joining in and supporting it. I do hope we can repeat this next year, making it the Sci-Files version of the McCarthy Cup.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:49 am 
Lord of Scaratings

B O D wrote:
It was our pleasure to do, and hope to do it again next year. I hope to do a better job with it since I have learned from my mistakes.

My preliminary talley shows 86th Street Pub in first, Mezzanine second, and Buffaloes Bar and Grill II third. The official scoring will be posted by Buzztime tomorrow. Congratulations to all.

We started out strong with 4,000 on all boxes. Then we proceded to screw the pooch the rest of the way. It got ugly. Too many misses to list here. Besides, how tacky would it be to place in our own tournament?

B O D/Robert

Yes, thanks for you efforts, it is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 am 
Lord of Scaratings

AARDVK wrote:
Thanks so much to B O D and Shenanigans for setting this up, and BT for joining in and supporting it. I do hope we can repeat this next year, making it the Sci-Files version of the McCarthy Cup.

Brooke/AARDVK

That's a nice thought. I hope BT is still around next year in some format that I recognize.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm 
Centenarian

scar wrote:

That's a nice thought. I hope BT is still around next year in some format that I recognize.

I just hope I am around in a recognisable format next year!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
scar wrote:

EGADS!!!

That's two of us! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

tiefly wrote:
B O D wrote:
scar wrote:

EGADS!!!

That's two of us! :)

Ditto.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
Congrats to 86th Street Pub--we needed a good game tonight, and we flubbed two questions too many.

Brooke/AARDVK

Thanks, Aardy.
Sadly, this game will probably be "improved" to nothing but current event questions like all of the other games by this time next year.
Study up on your Hugos, Nebulas, Bram Stoker award winners and that sort of stuff. There's gonna be a shitpot full of 'em... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
AARDVK wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

Thanks, Aardy.
Sadly, this game will probably be "improved" to nothing but current event questions like all of the other games by this time next year.
Study up on your Hugos, Nebulas, Bram Stoker award winners and that sort of stuff. There's gonna be a shitpot full of 'em... :cry:

The Pulse of SciFiles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
Centenarian

The new and improved SciFiles - Pulse Cannon!

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thanks to B O D for starting and organizing this tourney.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 am 
Centenarian

zzuupp wrote:
Thanks to B O D for starting and organizing this tourney.

You are quite welcome.

In doing a postmortem with our BT rep, she indicated that they were pleased with the tourney. I feel I made a few gaffes, but I am good at learning from my mistakes. We will do it again with a tweak here and there. At that time I will solicit suggestions from the forum on ways to make it better.

And thank all of you for participating!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5