New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 9-5 sf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Good job down there at SRO OT last night.
We missed the Scithers editor q (went with Del Rey), the "Tim" White illustrator q, and I embarassingly talked us off of Mysterious Island thereby costing us about 500 points and the game.

I made a comment last week to Gavv that we were due for some A Boy and His Dog trivia. Missed it by one week. You're slippin' BT... :D

Post subject: Re: 9-5 sf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
We missed the Scithers editor q (went with Del Rey), the "Tim" White illustrator q, and I embarassingly talked us off of Mysterious Island thereby costing us about 500 points and the game.

I made a comment last week to Gavv that we were due for some A Boy and His Dog trivia. Missed it by one week. You're slippin' BT... :D

Thanks--we also missed the Scithers (I was looking for Gardner Dozois, not realizing he'd had a predecessor, and didn't have a clue when that wasn't one of the answers offered) and Tim White (I thought the only reason I was being drawn to that name was that I went to school with a Tim White), but we got Mysterious Island.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:56 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Looked like it must have been a hard game. Crackhead and I tried to get out and play, but unfortunately our trip to Bungalow Joes involved trivia not being on due to their "not being able to change the channel on any of their televisions." So we ended up getting to a BW3 just before Six started. :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
spotes wrote:

Thanks--we also missed the Scithers (I was looking for Gardner Dozois, not realizing he'd had a predecessor, and didn't have a clue when that wasn't one of the answers offered) and Tim White (I thought the only reason I was being drawn to that name was that I went to school with a Tim White), but we got Mysterious Island.

Brooke/AARDVK

There's a name from the past. I remember Gardner Dozois being editor from when I was in high school in the mid-80s. If it had been there, I would have gone with it as well. Sadly, I couldn't remember what Lester del Rey was doing in the mid-70s before starting the Del Rey books division and pre-called his name. Oh joy... there he was. :(
My suspicions that my bar is wired have never been higher. :D
Illustrator questions are so tough. You really need to go out of your way to find out who does most of that stuff. And even then, trying to keep them straight seems a herculean task.
Which of you or Coogs got the Babylon assassins q? Thank goodness GAVV loves that show. I watched the first four seasons but most of it ran through me like cheap Mexican food. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Even though most here could GAF about the godforsaken West/Encore/Repeat feed :(, there was a most surprising beatdown of the rest of that FSPLIT by Pacific Beach Bar & Grill Image, followed by a rare FSPLIT win in Wednesday Six. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Even though most here could GAF about the godforsaken West/Encore/Repeat feed :(, there was a most surprising beatdown of the rest of that FSPLIT by Pacific Beach Bar & Grill Image, followed by a rare FSPLIT win in Wednesday Six. Image

I disagree.
I think most here couldn't GAF about the godforsaken West. :mrgreen:

I underestimated your geekiness LJ.
Nice score.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
AARDVK wrote:
spotes wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

There's a name from the past. I remember Gardner Dozois being editor from when I was in high school in the mid-80s. If it had been there, I would have gone with it as well. Sadly, I couldn't remember what Lester del Rey was doing in the mid-70s before starting the Del Rey books division and pre-called his name. Oh joy... there he was. :(
My suspicions that my bar is wired have never been higher. :D
Illustrator questions are so tough. You really need to go out of your way to find out who does most of that stuff. And even then, trying to keep them straight seems a herculean task.
Which of you or Coogs got the Babylon assassins q? Thank goodness GAVV loves that show. I watched the first four seasons but most of it ran through me like cheap Mexican food. :mrgreen:

I did not play the game but I thought Del Rey was an editor at Analog or Galaxy. I remember reading his farwell editorial form one of those magazines when he and his wife founded Del Rey Books. I think Gardner Dozois took over as editor at one of them. I could be very wrong, I am going from memory. I was a real SF Fanatic back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:02 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

[quote="spotes
Which of you or Coogs got the Babylon assassins q? Thank goodness GAVV loves that show. I watched the first four seasons but most of it ran through me like cheap Mexican food. :mrgreen:[/quote]

I used to be better on illustrator questions when I went more to cons, especially Worldcon. I didn't spend a whole lot of time at the art show as compared to other activities, but I usually was aware of whoever were the Hugo-nominated artists for the year and saw other cover illustrators doing signings.

I’m the “B-5” watcher in the family, although I only saw a few seasons, consumed at a high-density level when I was cat sitting and had at my disposal my ex-husband's almost-complete collection.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 am 
Centenarian

AARDVK wrote:
[quote="spotes

I used to be better on illustrator questions when I went more to cons, especially Worldcon. I didn't spend a whole lot of time at the art show as compared to other activities, but I usually was aware of whoever were the Hugo-nominated artists for the year and saw other cover illustrators doing signings.

I’m the “B-5” watcher in the family, although I only saw a few seasons, consumed at a high-density level when I was cat sitting and had at my disposal my ex-husband's almost-complete collection.

Brooke/AARDVK[/quote]

I was one that was so consumed with B5 in the day that for its tv-series premiere, I convinced the next door neighbor to tune his 10-ft (or whatever the size of 'old style' tv satellite dishes) dish to the coordinates for the B5 station downlink just so i could get it on tape to watch 5 days before broadcast. no, no obsessiveness there :)

gavv