New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sci-Files December 5, 2012
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

SRO OT's system was still down (more on that below), so we went to Coaches Pub, the only trivia site left in downtown Houston proper, which allowed us to combine trivia and karaoke. I enjoyed all the literature questions, but stumbled on the first; had it down to David Eddings and Charles de Lint and went with Eddings on three boxes; Jim split so CUUGS ended up in the No. 1 spot.

We had a great time, and although it takes longer to get there, may make it our usual Wednesday spot. There were other folks playing, which is rare at SRO OT, and although we didn't play together, they were friendly, and perhaps might be interested in expanding our two-person SIX team. Also Coaches has the new boxes, so there weren't any box-not-holding-charge problems.

What is going on at SRO OT is very frustrating. In the week since I reported the problem to the BT techs, all that has happened is that a BT employee came and took all the boxes (except 4 in the office that were due to be sent back for replacements) and all three chargers. The problem I called about--the fact that none of the boxes or the iPad mobile playmaker) could sign on the game was apparently ignored. In the boxes/chargers that were taken were six boxes that we've never had a problem with, and that were perfectly playable until the system-wide sign-on problem occurred. Even if there was some reason to take all the boxes, a week is certainly long enough for BT to send in replacements. With the system being down, the site is not only losing current revenue because of players going elsewhere or just staying home, but possible future revenue if players discover (as we did) that there might be advantages to going to another site. If the focus is supposed to be on retaining current sites--and SRO OT has been a customer for over 17 years, I would think BT could (a) use better judgment before removing working boxes and chargers so as to leave the location with none, and (b) put a higher priority on getting replacement boxes to the site so that its downtime is minimized.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: Sci-Files December 5, 2012
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I also had it down to De Lint and Eddings and chose poorly.
Had no idea on Robert Reed book q and got half points for the last q about Melissa Mathison screenwriting E.T..
The back of my mind immediately told me she had something to do with Star Wars. As I explained to GAVV apologetically afterwards, I suspected I might initially have been mistakenly thinking of Leigh Brackett. But after a little research today, I found what my subprocessors were trying to clue me in on. She was married to Harrison Ford. The sheer audacity of my brain letting me down. If this keeps up, I'm going to take away its afternoon fruit cup.

Post subject: Re: Sci-Files December 5, 2012
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:20 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

[quote="spotes"]
Had no idea on Robert Reed book q and got half points for the last q about Melissa Mathison screenwriting E.T..

I'm pretty sure "Black Milk" is a book I bought a long time ago and either never started reading or didn't finish. At least the one thing I would remember is the author, and it didn't fall into that vast category of questions about characters, plots, or settings where COOGS is sick of hearing about things I might have known if I'd actually read all the books in the boxes in our garage and storage shed.

Brooke/AARDVK