New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-files challenge, part deux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Every few weeks or so, I check in on the West feed on Sci-Files.

Never once have I seen a West zone team score beat the East zone team score for the top. I'm all for playing against West zone teams that people know about, and can vouch for (just as I have in the Tim "DINGO" Richardson Memorial Brainbuster Cup), but are we now in the East competing (at least eventually) with West zone teams that no one on this list is vouching for?

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
Every few weeks or so, I check in on the West feed on Sci-Files.

Never once have I seen a West zone team score beat the East zone team score for the top. I'm all for playing against West zone teams that people know about, and can vouch for (just as I have in the Tim "DINGO" Richardson Memorial Brainbuster Cup), but are we now in the East competing (at least eventually) with West zone teams that no one on this list is vouching for?

Brooke/AARDVK

I have, I was there. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I noticed in the on-screen promo for the "When Worlds Collide" tourney it is stated as running from 5/1 to 5/22. Was the tourney shortened or is this a misprint? Don't recall this being brought up. If it has, sorry for the double up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
I noticed in the on-screen promo for the "When Worlds Collide" tourney it is stated as running from 5/1 to 5/22. Was the tourney shortened or is this a misprint? Don't recall this being brought up. If it has, sorry for the double up.

I noticed that as well. I haven't checked with the Buzztime rep that I deal with (and who puts the ads together). I would assume she worded it that way because only the top four teams -- two East and two West -- will be competing on the 29th.

By the way, the final teams are a bit different from the list I posted. You can access the list at the buzztime players site. The East will still have 18 teams, with the only change being Fat Dogs Grille and Pub instead of Buffaloes Bar and Grill II in Greensboro, NC. Buffaloes closed down.

The West now has 14 teams. Two from the original list (Fuzzy's Southwest and TGIFridays-Tucson) were dropped because of scheduling confiicts.

Remember intra-region play begins next Wednesday. So study up on your Babylon 5 aliens and all things Silverberg!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:05 pm 
Centenarian

OUCH! I just realized I never posted the revised list for the West. Sorry about that.

Again, the official list can be accessed on the Buzztime Players site.

Rembrandts, Calgary, Alberta
Pops, Lethbridge, Alberta
Marc's Glendale, Arizona
JJ Madison, Mesa, Arizona
The Sand Trap, Beaumont California
Kristys MVP, San Diego, California
Old Chicago -- Colorado Springs, Colorado
Old Chicago Lakewood, Colorado
Old Chicago Thornton, Colorado
BWW -- Missoula, Montana
BWW Henderson, Nevada
TGIFridays -- Colorado Springs, Colorado
Torrey Pines Pub, Las Vegas, Nevada
Home Turf, Portland Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

One less team will be playing in the east. GOD and co. in Salisbury MD have lost the only BT location in town.

Breaktime lost their lease and closed down last Sat.

GOD is dead till further notice.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was looking over the 18 east teams listed on the BT site as entered.

I never heard of BWW Rochester NH? They rarely play Scifi and are terrible, how did they get invited to play and who the fuck are they? I really think all bars invited should be on Scar in some fashion so we know who they are.

Breaktime is out and have known the bar was closing for a few months now, did the BT rep even ask them about playing in this tourney?

East side down to 16 bars. I don't recognize more than about 3 of the west bars.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
One less team will be playing in the east. GOD and co. in Salisbury MD have lost the only BT location in town.

Breaktime lost their lease and closed down last Sat.

GOD is dead till further notice.

This is the first I've heard of Breaktime closing. I personally called them back in February, and they did not mention a pending close. Not much that can be done at this point.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:

I never heard of BWW Rochester NH? They rarely play Scifi and are terrible, how did they get invited to play and who the fuck are they? I really think all bars invited should be on Scar in some fashion so we know who they are.

Breaktime is out and have known the bar was closing for a few months now, did the BT rep even ask them about playing in this tourney?

East side down to 16 bars. I don't recognize more than about 3 of the west bars.

BWW Rochester should be Rochester, NEW YORK. All my correspondence with Buzztime shows it to the Rochester New York. I even submitted the teams by site ID numbers to prevent wrong sites from being submitted. I sent a note to Buzztime to see if it can be fixed, if, indeed, the New Hampshire BWW is entered.

I answered the Breaktime question in the previous post.

As far as limiting the tournament to teams to be representative of Scaratings: I'd be glad to. I can PM the address for SCAR to send the sponsorship check to cover the prizes. Say, $500 to cover the expenses...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
BUD wrote:

BWW Rochester should be Rochester, NEW YORK. All my correspondence with Buzztime shows it to the Rochester New York. I even submitted the teams by site ID numbers to prevent wrong sites from being submitted. I sent a note to Buzztime to see if it can be fixed, if, indeed, the New Hampshire BWW is entered.

As far as limiting the tournament to teams to be representative of Scaratings: I'd be glad to. I can PM the address for SCAR to send the sponsorship check to cover the prizes. Say, $500 to cover the expenses...

Sounds good...I'll chip in $20 so now we only need 24 other entries to help cover the expenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
B O D wrote:
BUD wrote:

Sounds good...I'll chip in $20 so now we only need 24 other entries to help cover the expenses.

Make the checks out to the BOD Retirement Fund :)

Seriously, we at Shenanigans are more than happy to sponsor this tournament. The bar has been a blessing to me both financially and in the numerous new friends I have made since taking it over. I do this tournament to pay back the community of Buzztime players that I also consider friends and to promote my favorite game. I hope to have made it as enjoyable for all of you as I possibly could.

Tonight is the opening salvo in what should be a fun tournament. Bone up on those Rifleman questions!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

Well, hell, those of us that played the prior tournament at Pacific Beach Bar & Grill have relocated to Kristy's MVP. :o

Speaking of which, a Rembrandt's player has been seen these past couple of days roaming The Site-Poor Backyard, including Kristy's last night. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Thanks for doing it B O D.

Scar will play, and watch the scores with interest, wishing their was a second player who would play at my site, which would make us a virtual lock for #1 Bar average in Georgia !

( I no longer play my second box as there is no point).

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Ouch. Tough game for us.

From looking at the scoreboard, it was for many. Alas, we were worse.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

We found it tough too, and were pleasantly surprised to see ourselves at no. 5 in the East.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Worst score for me I believe I have ever had on a complete game.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am 
Centenarian

we had a lousy game too, especially given the amount of early movie content involved. Luckily only one board/person (mine :P ) got caught by the once-in-397-blue-moons-now negative clue. would have gotten us 200 pts closer.

I also think not explicitly putting 'TV Movie' in the question with Crichton was a bit bogus, i kept away since i was sure thinking about andromeda strain.

gavv

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 pm 
Centenarian

We were shocked to make 10th, extremely tough game :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

gavv wrote:
we had a lousy game too, especially given the amount of early movie content involved. Luckily only one board/person (mine :P ) got caught by the once-in-397-blue-moons-now negative clue. would have gotten us 200 pts closer.

I also think not explicitly putting 'TV Movie' in the question with Crichton was a bit bogus, i kept away since i was sure thinking about andromeda strain.

gavv

We fell for it. I had it guessed, and then switched on NO poor house.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm 
Himself Fodder

What was the Q involving Crichton?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
What was the Q involving Crichton?

"The 1972 movie 'Pursuit' was the debut film of which director?"

Maybe I'm being a bit of a purist snoot, but TV movies should always be signified as such. I know I always draw the distinction in games I create. imdb apparently shares my disillusionment as they always codify TV films as well.
Crichton's first film was Westworld. Everybody knows that... :mrgreen:

Brutal but fair game. Heavily movie laden, so I know I've got no one to blame but myself. I don't even have the luxury of griping about all of the book questions this week. All two of them. :D

PS. Hey Gavvy, it occurred to me on the way home last night that Robert Wise did Andromeda Strain. If I hadn't been so kerfuffled by watching my score going down the drain, I probably could have mentioned that one sooner.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Any update on the standings, anything? Buzztime lists the scores as total score, if that is the determining factor of advancing I will be running 20 boards next week. Are we virtually eliminated, are we in the running, do we need to bother to show up? Or, am I just missing the information I am looking for?

Bueller?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm also extremely disappointed in Buzztime's lousy support for this tournament. I finally found the results, buried on my site's page. They say that rules, etc., are set by the location, and we should see management. Our management may be aware of the tournament, but I doubt it.

Lewser, our score appears to be the aggregate of our top five scores for the two nights.

I'm glad we are in the tournament, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:
I finally found the results, buried on my site's page. They say that rules, etc., are set by the location, and we should see management. Our management may be aware of the tournament, but I doubt it.

Lewser, our score appears to be the aggregate of our top five scores for the two nights.

I found that as well, why wouldn't they just show average? I guess we are up by a few points for 2nd.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm 
Centenarian

ranger wrote:
I'm also extremely disappointed in Buzztime's lousy support for this tournament. I finally found the results, buried on my site's page. They say that rules, etc., are set by the location, and we should see management. Our management may be aware of the tournament, but I doubt it.

Sorry about not answering sooner, but I was out of pocket yesterday.

Yes, the scores listed are an aggregate of the top five scores for each location. This is the way Buzztime sets up the scoring and it is a bit more accurate than going by site average which may have a slight difference due to rounding up or down. Splitting hairs, true.

Insofar as each location knowing the rules, I personally contacted ALMOST every site. Those that I was not able to contact were contacted by Buzzime. I was able to give a brief explanation of the rules and the tournament format to someone at each site that I was was able to contact. I also left my contact information such as phone number and email.

Of course, if anyone has any questions they can contact me through this forum either by PM or on this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next