New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sci-files challenge, part deux
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm 
Centenarian

Most of you will remember last October's Sci-fi challenge dubiously named Rock Paper Scissors Lkizard Spock. It was sponsored by my bar, Shenanigans, and Buzztime. A good time was had by all.

My intention was to do it once, see how it went, then decide whether or not to make it an annual affair. I feel that it was well received. So, we're going to do it again at least one more year.

i have been approached by my Buzztime rep about doing it again, but earlier in the year. Looking at the calendar I see that May has five Wednesdays this year. I think the five Wednesday format worked really well last time so if we are going to move it up, it would be May.

I tentatively agreed to move it. It really doesn't matter to me if it's early or late in the year. I appreciate any feedback you might have.

I have started preparing a list of possible teams for the tournament. Again it's not a purely scientific method of choosing. In fact it may involve chicken bones and pentagrams before the is finalized. I am shooting for 30 participating locations.

If the team at your bar is dead set against joining the tournament let me know. Conversely if you really, really want to get in -- let me know that too. I'll release the list as soon as I feel it is finalized. BTW, it is East feed only. Sorry.

Format is the best five scores per location for each of the five nights. This is Player's Plus only. If you have a visitor be sure that he/she is registered or plays a registered box. The scores posted by Buzztime are the official scores. End of story.

As far as a name for this year's tournament I don't have one. I'm still working on that. Your suggestions in that matter will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sci-files challenge, part deux
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm 
Himself Fodder

B O D wrote:
BTW, it is East feed only. Sorry.

In before LEWSER rant.

Perhaps explain to your BT rep that this is one of the many reasons why the split sucks donkey balls.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
B O D wrote:
BTW, it is East feed only. Sorry.

In before LEWSER rant.

Perhaps explain to your BT rep that this is one of the many reasons why the split sucks donkey balls.

I have done so. If she is passing it on, it is falling on donkey scrotum-covered ears.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry Bro,

But, if the field is limited to only certain locations, and excludes all locations in the Mtn/Pst then it isn't shit. Why don't you just say only 4 teams can participate? Fuck this! Even players are now dissing the West/Repeat Feed. This is nothing more than a deliberate slap in the face.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 am 
Centenarian

lewser wrote:
Sorry Bro,

But, if the field is limited to only certain locations, and excludes all locations in the Mtn/Pst then it isn't shit. Why don't you just say only 4 teams can participate? Fuck this! Even players are now dissing the West/Repeat Feed. This is nothing more than a deliberate slap in the face.

Sorry you feel that way. As a player, I also think the East/West split is the dumbest of a myriad of dumb things Buzztime has foisted upon us. However, I do not have control over whether there is a split or not.

What I do have control over is this tournament. In the initial tourney, I threw it open to both East AND West feed teams. No west feed readers of this forum asked to be included. I did end up with one west team.

If I can get a list of at least five west feed teams that want to be involved, I would certainly reconsider. I had no intention of slapping anyone's face.

An alternative would be for a west feed team leader to take the time needed to organize, fund, and administer a west tournament.

B O D / Robert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Wherever COOGS and I are playing in Houston, we're in--and we actually love the fact that it will be sooner because he and I didn't get to play together until somewhere around the middle of the last tournament--and I think that did make a difference. I'm assuming/hoping that our location will be Coaches Pub, but now having seen a location go out from under me with neither notice nor sense, all I can say is we'll be playing somewhere in Houston.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I couldn't get 5 players plus boxes over a month logged on, though I tried.

Unless a sudden flurry of BT playing transplants arrive in northwest Atlanta, Highlands Grill in Kennesaw will sadly withdraw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
As far as a name for this year's tournament I don't have one. I'm still working on that. Your suggestions in that matter will be appreciated.

While my nerdy appreciation of something like The Voight-Kampff Field Sobriety Test is unabashed, something more cross-sectionally palatable like Battle Beyond the Bars might be a better option.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:

How about: If you play in the West Feed, Fuck Off Sci-Files Invitation Only Tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 am 
Centenarian

lewser wrote:
B O D wrote:

How about: If you play in the West Feed, Fuck Off Sci-Files Invitation Only Tournament.

Or the "Sour Grapes of Wrath" Tournament. This time the Joads move back to Oklahoma to play Buzztime on the East Feed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:25 pm 
Centenarian

After further contemplation, I may have come up with a way to fairly include teams from both East AND West Feeds. It probably won't please everyone, but it is the best I can concoct. As always, any helpful suggestions will be considered.

My plan is to pick 12-15 teams from each feed competing against each other for the first four weeks of May. Then the East and West winners would faceoff for the title in week five. I realize that still leaves the possibility of stealing the early feed. An alternative would be to go five weeks and have separate East and West champions.

I don't mind the little bit of extra work involved and the total prizes would work out the same. So it is all the same to me. Constructive feedback is welcomed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

For a name, how about Ender's Game ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 pm 
Centenarian

scar wrote:

One of my favorite O.S. Card novels. I'll consider it.

If I go with the East vs West format I may use that as a theme. "When Worlds Collide," or "War of the Worlds," "Alien vs Predator." Perhaps Klaatu Barada Nikto.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I talked to my teamies tonight about this competition. BWW Onalaska would like to participate.

The suggestion for including West teams is okay with me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:42 am 
Centenarian

ranger wrote:
I talked to my teamies tonight about this competition. BWW Onalaska would like to participate.

The suggestion for including West teams is okay with me.

You were already on my list. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Lord of Scaratings

B O D wrote:
scar wrote:

If I go with the East vs West format I may use that as a theme. "When Worlds Collide," or "War of the Worlds," "Alien vs Predator." Perhaps Klaatu Barada Nikto.

Did you know that they are making a movie of Ender's Game, scheduled Nov 1 release, with Harrison Ford as Colonel Graf ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Count Adam's Mill in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm 
Centenarian

scar wrote:
B O D wrote:
scar wrote:

Did you know that they are making a movie of Ender's Game, scheduled Nov 1 release, with Harrison Ford as Colonel Graf ?

Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
Count Adam's Mill in.

Already had you on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 am 
Centenarian

B O D wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:
Count Adam's Mill in.

Already had you on the list.

Thanks, We really enjoyed it last time!! We have been surprisingly consistent in Sci-files given the difficulty of some games. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 am 
Moderating Hobbit

If it is in May, go ahead and add us to the list. We've had an incredibly hard time getting people together of late, but I should be able to get our team reformed for a tourny by then :)

/probably Old Chicago, Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Centenarian

Dante wrote:
If it is in May, go ahead and add us to the list. We've had an incredibly hard time getting people together of late, but I should be able to get our team reformed for a tourny by then :)

I am in the process of finalizing my lists both East and West. I can squeeze you in right now. I'll put down Old Chicago Louisville. Thanks.

Speaking of the lists, I've got the East pretty well finalized. I am familiar with all the teams in the East and I feel comfortable with the list I have put together. On the other hand, I'm not so familiar with the West Sci-files teams. I have received raw gameplay data from Buzztime for the West, but it is just that -- raw data. It doesn't really give me a feel for who are the best teams. If anyone on here from the West would like to do so, please give me your take on who are the top 5 to 10 or more teams. That will help me get the best list put together.

The format I have decided on is that we will have four weeks of East versus East and West versus West. The top team from each feed will face off for the championship on the fifth week (May 29). The second place teams from each feed will face-off for third place that same night. Prizes will be divided accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Moderating Hobbit

B O D wrote:
Dante wrote:

I am in the process of finalizing my lists both East and West. I can squeeze you in right now. I'll put down Old Chicago Louisville. Thanks.

Speaking of the lists, I've got the East pretty well finalized. I am familiar with all the teams in the East and I feel comfortable with the list I have put together. On the other hand, I'm not so familiar with the West Sci-files teams. I have received raw gameplay data from Buzztime for the West, but it is just that -- raw data. It doesn't really give me a feel for who are the best teams. If anyone on here from the West would like to do so, please give me your take on who are the top 5 to 10 or more teams. That will help me get the best list put together.

The format I have decided on is that we will have four weeks of East versus East and West versus West. The top team from each feed will face off for the championship on the fifth week (May 29). The second place teams from each feed will face-off for third place that same night. Prizes will be divided accordingly.

In all seriousness, I ignore all teams from the West. At this point, I don't really care who they are -- their scores can't be trusted. I know of too many people getting the answers, including a few that aren't the cheaters everyone complains about. Takes the fun out of it.

I would not do East vs West as final round, if it's at all possible. West will end up winning. Competitions always bring out the biggest cheats.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
B O D wrote:
Dante wrote:

In all seriousness, I ignore all teams from the West. At this point, I don't really care who they are -- their scores can't be trusted. I know of too many people getting the answers, including a few that aren't the cheaters everyone complains about. Takes the fun out of it.

I would not do East vs West as final round, if it's at all possible. West will end up winning. Competitions always bring out the biggest cheats.

Thanks, for the vote if confidence buddy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 pm 
Golden Tee Master

lewser wrote:
Dante wrote:
Dante wrote:

Thanks, for the vote if confidence buddy.

You shouldn't pay attention to Dante these days. He hasn't been the same since that rock
hit him in the head. :P