New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-files challenge, part deux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
If it is in May, go ahead and add us to the list. We've had an incredibly hard time getting people together of late, but I should be able to get our team reformed for a tourny by then :)

/probably Old Chicago, Louisville, KY

Hmmm, I wonder why we cannot get together. Is it because you are posting on here in the early hours of the morning and sleeping when we should be playing???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
Centenarian

Dante wrote:

In all seriousness, I ignore all teams from the West. At this point, I don't really care who they are -- their scores can't be trusted. I know of too many people getting the answers, including a few that aren't the cheaters everyone complains about. Takes the fun out of it.

I would not do East vs West as final round, if it's at all possible. West will end up winning. Competitions always bring out the biggest cheats.

That may be so. However, if winning a few lousy T-shirts and bottle openers entice people to cheat, then so be it. The other alternative is to have an East champion and West champion and leave it at that. But I think it would be nice to have an overall champ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bottle openers!!!
Hell... now I'm thinking about cheatin'...

For those that might be curious, the shirts BOD sent us last year were great. They were silkscreened with a "Sci-Files" logo, a "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock" diagram and the names of the top four bars in order of finish. When I wear mine in public I feel just like a super model. Without the puke breath... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
For those that might be curious, the shirts BOD sent us last year were great. They were silkscreened with a "Sci-Files" logo, a "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock" diagram and the names of the top four bars in order of finish. When I wear mine in public I feel just like a super model. Without the puke breath... :mrgreen:

I can attest to the fact that SPOTES is extremely proud of his shirt and wears it in public. I cannot publicly attest to my reaction however.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
Bottle openers!!!
Hell... now I'm thinking about cheatin'...

I'm glad you liked them. We have a local T-shirt place that does a very good job. At a good price, too.

I probably shouldn't have promised bottle openers. I have no idea what Buzztime will kick in this year. Perhaps with the East/West theme this year they will make the prize an end of the split. I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:16 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I have to disagree with my friend Dante. Our tournaments have always been on the honor system. I'm assuming that all locations entering are not cheating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just a head's up:

If there is a repeat Sci-Files game during the tourney and it is allowed to count against the aggregate, 86th Street will concede.
It's unfair to those that haven't seen the game previously.
Plus, it's just lame.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

We'd still lose with a repeat game. However, we would like to be in the tourney again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:21 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

B O D wrote:
Perhaps with the East/West theme this year they will make the prize an end of the split. I doubt it.

That would be the ultimate prize. I really don't understand why they don't either do that, or at least let every location choose its feed, as they've conceded the technology exists to do so. Whatever NTN/BT thought was going to happen with the West feed not only didn't occur, but West play has gone down. As East play has gone up with the earlier times, all they need to do is keep that and bring the West back in (which might be earlier, but still migh get more players back than what is being done currently).

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Just a head's up:

If there is a repeat Sci-Files game during the tourney and it is allowed to count against the aggregate, 86th Street will concede.
Plus, it's just lame.

I would assume that game wouldn't count. The only reason we kept playing at Coaches Pub last Wednesday was that we quickly determined with help from SLOTEK at Mezz that it was a system-wide problem (so no use going elsewhere), and our karaoke guy was there, and that was going to be the second part of the evening (and eventually we did get new content games on CD and LS). I guess given last Wednesday's East zone debacle courtesy of NTN/BT, I'm now adding to the very few rules of the Tim "DINGO" Richardson Memorial Brainbuster Cup that in the event NTN/BT screws up again, the tournament will be extended into May to the extent necessary so that all tournament games will be fresh content ones for both zones as perceived by the non-cheating locations in the zone (Bobby/LEWSER, I know that other than last Wednesday, the West gets repeat content on everything that counts, and I hate it as much as you do).

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 am 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
Just a head's up:

Plus, it's just lame.

Absolutely. If there is a repeat during the tournament we will extend it as long as necessary to get fresh content. I'm hoping this was a rare glitch and not a sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am 
Centenarian

zzuupp wrote:
We'd still lose with a repeat game. However, we would like to be in the tourney again.

You are already in. Thanks for replying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:46 pm 
Centenarian

Here is my "final" list for the east. I feel pretty good about this list. I know these teams well, and most if not all played in last year's tournament.

Adams Mill, Manchester Connecticut
Stewart's brewing, Bear Delaware
86 th Street Pub, Indianapolis Indiana
Heroes, Wichita Kansas
Old Chicago, Louisville Kentucky
Hard Times Germantown Maryland
Break Time sports bar Salisbury Maryland
Dan McGuinness pub, Southhaven Mississippi
Buffalos bar and Grill II, Greensboro North Carolina
BWW, Rochester New York
BWW, Canton Ohio
BWW, Kent Ohio
Breakaway bar and Grill, Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Jake's, Lubbock Texas
Shenanigans, San Angelo Texas
Coaches Pub, Houston Texas
Sand bar and Grill, Newport News Virginia
BWW, Onalaska Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
Centenarian

This is the list I have for the West so far. As I stated before I very little "feel" for these teams as I play in the East. I have asked in this forum for someone to give me a good 10 to 15 team list that I could start from. Lacking that , I had raw data from Buzztime to try to interpret. If I had more time to develop this list I could gather more Hall of Fame data and build a database to work from. Failing that, this is the best I can come up with. Please give me a shout if you believe that there are more deserving teams or that some of these teams don't deserve the honor.

Hometurf sports bar, Portland Oregon
BWW Henderson Nevada
Torrey Pines Pub, Las Vegas Nevada
Scooters Pub, Las Vegas Nevada
BWW, Missoula Montana
Old Chicago, Colorado Springs Colorado
Old Chicago, Lakewood Colorado
TGI Fridays, Colorado Springs Colorado
The White horse Inn, Oakland California
Mr. B's restaurant, Los Alamitos California
JB's Dinner room, Gardena California
The Sand Trap sports bar and Grill, Beaumont California
Marc's sports Grill and nightlife, Glendale Arizona
TGI Fridays, Tucson Arizona
Rembrandts, Calgary Alberta
Schanks sports Grill North Calgary Alberta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Which BWW, Henderson, we have 3, I figure the one on Eastern?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:53 pm 
Centenarian

lewser wrote:
Which BWW, Henderson, we have 3, I figure the one on Eastern?

The one I had listed was at 10271 S. Eastern Ave. in Henderson. Site ID #33808.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
Himself Fodder

B O D wrote:
This is the list I have for the West so far. As I stated before I very little "feel" for these teams as I play in the East. I have asked in this forum for someone to give me a good 10 to 15 team list that I could start from. Lacking that , I had raw data from Buzztime to try to interpret. If I had more time to develop this list I could gather more Hall of Fame data and build a database to work from. Failing that, this is the best I can come up with. Please give me a shout if you believe that there are more deserving teams or that some of these teams don't deserve the honor.

Hometurf sports bar, Portland Oregon
BWW Henderson Nevada
Torrey Pines Pub, Las Vegas Nevada
Scooters Pub, Las Vegas Nevada
BWW, Missoula Montana
Old Chicago, Colorado Springs Colorado
Old Chicago, Lakewood Colorado
TGI Fridays, Colorado Springs Colorado
The White horse Inn, Oakland California
Mr. B's restaurant, Los Alamitos California
JB's Dinner room, Gardena California
The Sand Trap sports bar and Grill, Beaumont California
Marc's sports Grill and nightlife, Glendale Arizona
TGI Fridays, Tucson Arizona
Rembrandts, Calgary Alberta
Schanks sports Grill North Calgary Alberta

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought I would share a thought. The problem with just going by raw data is that you have no idea how that data was achieved. If you don't know any of the players at a specific site, or at least have second hand knowledge or something, then they probably shouldn't be in this competition. Some of the above sites would be involved in a competition without even knowing it, and that's no good for a lot of reasons.

There are quite a few west feed sites that can be vouched for by players, but I don't trust how sites achieve their scores just by raw data. And that goes for east feed, west feed, any feed. Why include any site that doesn't have at least a secondhand presence on whatever trivia sites you are using for discussions?

My two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought I would share a thought. The problem with just going by raw data is that you have no idea how that data was achieved. If you don't know any of the players at a specific site, or at least have second hand knowledge or something, then they probably shouldn't be in this competition. Some of the above sites would be involved in a competition without even knowing it, and that's no good for a lot of reasons.

There are quite a few west feed sites that can be vouched for by players, but I don't trust how sites achieve their scores just by raw data. And that goes for east feed, west feed, any feed. Why include any site that doesn't have at least a secondhand presence on whatever trivia sites you are using for discussions?

My two cents.

I understand the perils of using raw data only. I mainly used that data provided by Buzztime to get a feel for which bars played Sci-Files on a regular basis and had scores at the high end of the average. I then cross referenced those bar's game play history on the players web site to see that they were indeed playing regularly. This was again cross referenced to the limited Hall of Fame data I have on those teams. That gave me the list that you see.

Are these the best teams in the West? Given the data that I have I would say many of them are. Are there some on here that are not competitive enough to be in the competition? Possibly so. If we do this again in the same format I will have better data to work with. Until then it would help me if someone who does have a feel for the West's best teams to give me some guidance here. The West list is not cast in stone, but I do need to get it turned in soon.

As far as the sites and players not knowing that they are in a tournament, I plan to contact each site personally. My Buzztime rep will also handle contacting them in an official Buzztime capacity. Buzztime also has the capability of targeting individual players by way of email. They will be able to forward email information from me to each site's players directly.

I hope that answered your questions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Centenarian

I cannot wait until it starts :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was going to play at my home bar, Torrey Pines, after hearing about the phone call we got challenging us. But I will not, and don't think others should participate knowing that the cheating fucking douche in Louisville has his home site entered. Frankly, I don't trust any site in that area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:15 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

lewser wrote:
I was going to play at my home bar, Torrey Pines, after hearing about the phone call we got challenging us. But I will not, and don't think others should participate knowing that the cheating fucking douche in Louisville has his home site entered. Frankly, I don't trust any site in that area.

That is a different Old Chicago... there are 2 in Louisville. The entered one would be a 3 man team of Dante, Tim and Crackhead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I get lumped in with the cheaters in the west feed, that I don't know. They get lumped in with a cheater in their own town, that they actually know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

lewser wrote:
I get lumped in with the cheaters in the west feed, that I don't know. They get lumped in with a cheater in their own town, that they actually know.

I was just letting you know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm 
Golden Tee Master

scar wrote:
lewser wrote:

That is a different Old Chicago... there are 2 in Louisville. The entered one would be a 3 man team of Dante, Tim and Crackhead.

I hope Tim has better things to do in May than play Trivia! :oops: :P
While I rarely find a nugget in Sci-files, I should be able to play. Also, you left out Zeke. Guess you have been gone too long. With a little luck BEric might show up for a game or two. Old Cloudy managed to show a few times last year. Cannot remember the last time Fshman played with us. Yes, we would be playing at Old Chicago Springhurst and not Old Chicago 7052. I understand Lewser's position on this, but Dante will not allow any shenanigans on Wednesday nights.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 am 
Lord of Scaratings

cards wrote:
scar wrote:
lewser wrote:

I hope Tim has better things to do in May than play Trivia! :oops: :P
While I rarely find a nugget in Sci-files, I should be able to play. Also, you left out Zeke. Guess you have been gone too long. With a little luck BEric might show up for a game or two. Old Cloudy managed to show a few times last year. Cannot remember the last time Fshman played with us. Yes, we would be playing at Old Chicago Springhurst and not Old Chicago 7052. I understand Lewser's position on this, but Dante will not allow any shenanigans on Wednesday nights.

Yup, I have been gone to long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next