New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/20 sci-files
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Monster individual score out of Houston last night. Nice work.
What question had the temerity to steal those oh so precious six points?
BTW, it's too bad the phone cheats from Rochester Hills took your top bar spot. You'll always be number one last night to me. :D

The good news is that we were perfect on science fiction questions.
Sadly, we missed points out the ass on fantasy stuff: the Twilight Zone question about Room/Flight 22 and the one about McCaffrey's Dragon crap.

I have a bit of a gripe about the "Which of these movies did not feature nuclear devastation?"
Got Red Dawn after some initial hesitation caused by being required to read all of the other options to confirm that it was the most likely or "best" option. Multiple nukes were used in Red Dawn.
If you don't believe me, fine, but doubting the word of the great Powers Boothe? Preposterous!

Quotes supplied by IMDB:

Col. Andy Tanner (Powers Boothe) : [Describing the invasion] West Coast. East Coast. Down here is Mexico. First wave of the attack came in disguised as commercial charter flights same way they did in Afghanistan in '80. Only they were crack Airborne outfits. Now they took these passes in the Rockies.

Jed Eckert (Patrick Swayze) : So that's what hit Calumet.

Col. Andy Tanner: I guess so. They coordinated with selective nuke strikes and the missiles were a helluva lot more accurate than we thought. They took out the silos here in the Dakotas, key points of communication.

Darryl Bates (Darren Dalton) : Like what?

Col. Andy Tanner: Oh, like Omaha, Washington, Kansas City.

Darryl Bates: Gone?

Col. Andy Tanner: Yeah. That's right. Infiltrators came up illegal from Mexico. Cubans mostly. They managed to infiltrate SAC bases in the Midwest, several down in Texas and wreaked a helluva lot of havoc, I'm here to tell you. They opened up the door down here, and the whole Cuban & Nicaraguan armies come walking right through, rolled right up here through the Great Plains.

Maybe it's me, but those three cities alone, not to mention all the ones left unmentioned, would count as "nuclear devastation". OK, fine, Washington getting nuked probably wouldn't be "devastating", but the point still stands. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: 3/20 sci-files
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 pm 
Himself Fodder

Don't forget...

"So who's on our side?"

"600 million screamin' Chinamen."

"I thought there were a billion screamin' Chinamen?"

"There were."

And since when does Red Dawn fall under the sci-fi genre?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Don't forget...

"So who's on our side?"

"600 million screamin' Chinamen."

"I thought there were a billion screamin' Chinamen?"

"There were."

It is called "Alternate History"or something like that.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 am 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
Monster individual score out of Houston last night. Nice work.
What question had the temerity to steal those oh so precious six points?
BTW, it's too bad the phone cheats from Rochester Hills took your top bar spot. You'll always be number one last night to me. :D

The good news is that we were perfect on science fiction questions.
Sadly, we missed points out the ass on fantasy stuff: the Twilight Zone question about Room/Flight 22 and the one about McCaffrey's Dragon crap.

I have a bit of a gripe about the "Which of these movies did not feature nuclear devastation?"
Got Red Dawn after some initial hesitation caused by being required to read all of the other options to confirm that it was the most likely or "best" option. Multiple nukes were used in Red Dawn.
If you don't believe me, fine, but doubting the word of the great Powers Boothe? Preposterous!

Quotes supplied by IMDB:

Col. Andy Tanner (Powers Boothe) : [Describing the invasion] West Coast. East Coast. Down here is Mexico. First wave of the attack came in disguised as commercial charter flights same way they did in Afghanistan in '80. Only they were crack Airborne outfits. Now they took these passes in the Rockies.

Jed Eckert (Patrick Swayze) : So that's what hit Calumet.

Col. Andy Tanner: I guess so. They coordinated with selective nuke strikes and the missiles were a helluva lot more accurate than we thought. They took out the silos here in the Dakotas, key points of communication.

Darryl Bates (Darren Dalton) : Like what?

Col. Andy Tanner: Oh, like Omaha, Washington, Kansas City.

Darryl Bates: Gone?

Col. Andy Tanner: Yeah. That's right. Infiltrators came up illegal from Mexico. Cubans mostly. They managed to infiltrate SAC bases in the Midwest, several down in Texas and wreaked a helluva lot of havoc, I'm here to tell you. They opened up the door down here, and the whole Cuban & Nicaraguan armies come walking right through, rolled right up here through the Great Plains.

Maybe it's me, but those three cities alone, not to mention all the ones left unmentioned, would count as "nuclear devastation". OK, fine, Washington getting nuked probably wouldn't be "devastating", but the point still stands. :mrgreen:

Exactly ! I bled a lot before I landed on Red Dawn. BIGDOG laughed at me with her 1,000; said that was obvious (she didn't eliminate, just "knew that was an invasion").

I tried to explain, and she just laughed at me some more, the way wives will do.

Thanks for the post, I will email it to her.

Of course, she will just laugh some more that I care enough to followup.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

Cuban planes reaching Colorado without coming apart at the seams and their paratroopers actually landing within a thousand miles of their target?

Maybe just a pinch of science but a barrel full of fiction. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, the one thing that truly makes this movie "science" fiction is the one thing completely ignored in the question; the use of technology (nukes) as the basis for plot development.

This is where a question writer who has actually watched the movies he's writing about instead of wasting his time on stuff like From Justin to Kelly or Spice World comes in handy.
Ooh, that one had to hurt... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:33 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Cuban planes reaching Colorado without coming apart at the seams and their paratroopers actually landing within a thousand miles of their target?

Maybe just a pinch of science but a barrel full of fiction. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, the one thing that truly makes this movie "science" fiction is the one thing completely ignored in the question; the use of technology (nukes) as the basis for plot development.

This is where a question writer who has actually watched the movies he's writing about instead of wasting his time on stuff like From Justin to Kelly or Spice World comes in handy.
Ooh, that one had to hurt... :mrgreen:

As you once remarked to me after I had made a fairly tactless reference to the perenially substandard quality of Indiana football, "Singed a few hairs with that one". :mrgreen: