New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sci-Files tournament III ?.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 am 
Centenarian

As many of you know, my bar, Shenanigans, and I, have put on a couple of Sci-Files tournaments. I was ready to pull the trigger on number three, but circumstances have conspired against it.

I have some health issues. I have Parkinson's disease and severe arthritis both of which are troublesome but are not the big issue. Two weeks ago I was rushed to the hospital with multiple pulmonary emboli. This was my second bout with PE in four years, so this is a serious deal. I am at home now but I am on restricted activity.

Reason number two is that our team at Shenanigans has seemingly lost interest in Sci-Files. I want to be competitive in our own tournament and not just me playing five boxes by myself.

If anyone is interested in taking over -- so much the better. You can contact me privately and I will help you in anyway that I can. The rep for our area has been very helpful in this matter and I would presume the same would be true with the rep in your area. They can certainly help with prizes anyway.

Post subject: Re: Sci-Files tournament III ?.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am 
Lord of Scaratings

My sincere best wishes to you.

Scar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Wow, sorry to hear about all those health issues. Please take it easy and don't worry about the tournament.

As for us here in MD we would not play as we have moved from Wed. to Thur. nights.

There is probably someone on here that has interest but getting a rep involved is a long shot outside of TX. We don't have one in the MD/DC/VA area.

Get well soon but don't push to get back into things too soon.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am quite sorry to hear about your health issues. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:

Get well soon but don't push to get back into things too soon.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I should be on track to get back to nearly full activities sometime in September. Until then I will add to my Words With Friends totals.

I plan on getting through this as I have a two-year-old granddaughter I need to watch grow up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

B O D, so sorry to hear about the health issues--hope that the next few weeks bring great improvement.

Coaches Pub, last year's East Zone winner, would be happy to run the tournament this year. I will get with Beth (the Buzztime rep for Texas) re: T-shirts and other swag for prizes. My inclination is to go for this October, which is a little squinchy for me timewise because the next couple of weeks I'm focused on my mother's memorial service and other things related to her passing (the main reason I didn't respond earlier to this thread), but with a simple tournament format, I think it can be done, and the next time we have a five-Wednesday month to work with is April, which mean effectively skipping a year.

If this is acceptable, let me know and I'll work up the rules.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 am 
Centenarian

AARDVK wrote:
B O D, so sorry to hear about the health issues--hope that the next few weeks bring great improvement.

Coaches Pub, last year's East Zone winner, would be happy to run the tournament this year. I will get with Beth (the Buzztime rep for Texas) re: T-shirts and other swag for prizes. My inclination is to go for this October, which is a little squinchy for me timewise because the next couple of weeks I'm focused on my mother's memorial service and other things related to her passing (the main reason I didn't respond earlier to this thread), but with a simple tournament format, I think it can be done, and the next time we have a five-Wednesday month to work with is April, which mean effectively skipping a year.

Brooke/AARDVK

Brooke:

I am so sorry for your loss. You have our condolences.

Thank you for wanting to pick up the gauntlet and run with this tournament. I will be glad to do most anything to help. Private message me for anything you need from me.

Our rep, Beth, has been quite helpful in the past with with setting things up, communicating with the bars/restaurants, providing swag, working with the Buzztime Art Department, etc. She can do a lot for you but there is still quite a bit of grunt work to do.

Again, if you need to pick my brain, hit me up on PM.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:15 pm 
Phosphorus

B O D, thanks for the great job in earlier tournaments (I still have my runner up/or 3rd place shirt framed in the office) and hope that your health issues get better, and you get to spend plenty of time spoiling that granddaughter as she grows up.

AARDVK, thanks for offering to possibly taking up the mantle, especially given your loss and what you are going through.

As far as time, October may work best. I am currently at a job which requires me to be out-of-town during Wednesdays: next month I should be OK to be doing more work from home, so I can probably be back at Bleachers then. I know JMO is still there, but other matters have mashed the team down some, but we'll try to get a group together, even if I have to play a couple of extra boards. I'm sure we'd like to give it a go.

Warren/WOOF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

Sci-Files tourneys in October just seem so right.
If you make it official, 86th is in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Assuming this is on, NTN Buzztime's Site-Poor Backyard will be represented at JT's Pub & Grill. According to one of the owners, the tablet Playmakers will be arriving sometime in the future.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

What is the verdict? I need to know if I need to come out of hibernation.. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 pm 
Lotsa Posta

If it's on, Stewart's Brewing Company is in to represent the fightin' First State. Somebody has to come in last, after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:46 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

When I posted a month ago about hoping to do something in October, I was not aware of how much work I had ahead of me in trying to sort through my mother's possessions and get them moved to Houston or donated to Goodwill, and working with the bankers and the estate attorney. That on top of trying to keep up with my normal workload left no time for putting the tournament together by today. We can wait for April with its 5 Wednesdays, or do what is being done with the Sandbaggers tournament and have a tournament before that which spans two months. Obviously we want to work around any holidays, which suggests this will be an early 2015 endeavor rather than a late 2014.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
When I posted a month ago about hoping to do something in October, I was not aware of how much work I had ahead of me in trying to sort through my mother's possessions and get them moved to Houston or donated to Goodwill, and working with the bankers and the estate attorney. That on top of trying to keep up with my normal workload left no time for putting the tournament together by today. We can wait for April with its 5 Wednesdays, or do what is being done with the Sandbaggers tournament and have a tournament before that which spans two months. Obviously we want to work around any holidays, which suggests this will be an early 2015 endeavor rather than a late 2014.

Brooke/AARDVK

Whatever works for you works for me. I am in your capable hands.
Perhaps it's just as well since NTN decided to repeat the game from 8/27/14 tonight.
Their innate ability to bugger up player-driven tourneys that aren't even fully-formed yet as a preemptive strike against the looming shadow of potentially fair results is staggering.
Or we could just stick with LEWSER's "Buzztime is a company full of dipshits".
I'm flexible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:48 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Now that we've resolved the one variable I was waiting on (i.e., whether the rumor the Split was ending had truth behind it), we can proceed with holding a unified network tournament welcoming without reservation all teams no matter where you play. I'm thinking either September (5 Wednesdays), or if that seems too soon, or folks are still coming back from summer vacations, late October/early November (I'm working around travel plans of my own in October). Obviously
we want to avoid late November through early January.

Anyone have a preference for one or the other?

Brooke/AARDVK
'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

If you run it, I'll play in it.
Whatever works best for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Looks like we will be out. We can't get off work at 5 and simultaneously be at the bar at 5 to start Sci-Files or earlier..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:35 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Given the current popularity of the science fiction genre and the success of the Sci-Files tournament in the past maybe at this time Buzztime would consider moving Sci-Files to after Six. It is in their interest if it makes a stronger schedule and brings in more players.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jim wrote:
Given the current popularity of the science fiction genre and the success of the Sci-Files tournament in the past maybe at this time Buzztime would consider moving Sci-Files to after Six. It is in their interest if it makes a stronger schedule and brings in more players.

That makes sense...i guess all lesser games should be before the premuims..

We'll see when the new schedule comes out before Wednesday

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:

Given the editing/content hot mess that Six has been over the years when I've played it,
I'm not so confident that I would refer to Sci-Files as "lesser"...

Six is a joke.
But apparently only when I play it.
Not to worry, though. I don't do Smartest Bar contests.
You're welcome North America. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:43 pm 
Himself Fodder

MitchWolf wrote:
Jim wrote:

We'll see when the new schedule comes out before Wednesday

No, the premiums can't start any later than 830/530. The increase in east/central play when they moved from 9/6 to 8/5 proved that.