New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: QB1 no longer the default game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

No I think it means there are fewer QB1 players (the predict the play game) than card players. There are certainly more trivia players than either (which is not surprising given how they have screwed up qb1).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Hmm. Not anywhere I play. Maybe they count the bots.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Is there some logistical reason that if QB1 doesn't become the default on either Channel 1 or 2 that BT can't offer QB1 as the default on both the channels? Some places have more trivia players; some places have more card players. At SRO OT, we have both--and frankly we'd still rather it be that QB1 be the default on Channel 1, because the location used to have such a thriving QB1 team that I forced the location to change it's manager password after in the middle of a Playback game, someone switched it out. We don't play much until Super Bowl time, but I hate to think folks show up and don't find the game on when they rightfully expect it to be.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
Is there some logistical reason that if QB1 doesn't become the default on either Channel 1 or 2 that BT can't offer QB1 as the default on both the channels? Some places have more trivia players; some places have more card players. At SRO OT, we have both--and frankly we'd still rather it be that QB1 be the default on Channel 1, because the location used to have such a thriving QB1 team that I forced the location to change it's manager password after in the middle of a Playback game, someone switched it out. We don't play much until Super Bowl time, but I hate to think folks show up and don't find the game on when they rightfully expect it to be.

Brooke/AARDVK

Yet another poorly thought out (if thought out at all) process by NTN BT. :cry:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:26 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

,I only remember qb1 being the default on Monday nights and for a few special games. A few local places programmed in additional games. I do remember all pro games and numerous college games being available on two channels, trivia and cards or sports as an option. Being available on two channels allowed local flexibility in programming with minimal conflict. BT needs to make it an option on both channels to give locals a better opportunity to resolve the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, as much as I and others would like to see some sort of effort made to fix this, given their propensity of fubarring, I shudder to think what would happen. :roll: :cry:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:43 am 
Himself Fodder

Jim wrote:
,I only remember qb1 being the default on Monday nights and for a few special games. A few local places programmed in additional games. I do remember all pro games and numerous college games being available on two channels, trivia and cards or sports as an option. Being available on two channels allowed local flexibility in programming with minimal conflict. BT needs to make it an option on both channels to give locals a better opportunity to resolve the situation.

Any nationally televised NFL game was the default, Sunday night, Monday night, etc. In it's heyday, the Sunday day games were always selectable because you were forced to play whatever game aired locally in your area. Therefore each week someone had to check to see which games were shown in the area and select accordingly. That's why the day games were never default, can't force sites to play games they can't watch.

College games were offered based on the TV schedule, at it's peak perhaps 12 were offered on a Saturday.

I agree that BT needs to make it an option on both channels for the added flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Jim wrote:

Any nationally televised NFL game was the default, Sunday night, Monday night, etc. In it's heyday, the Sunday day games were always selectable because you were forced to play whatever game aired locally in your area. Therefore each week someone had to check to see which games were shown in the area and select accordingly. That's why the day games were never default, can't force sites to play games they can't watch.

College games were offered based on the TV schedule, at it's peak perhaps 12 were offered on a Saturday.

I agree that BT needs to make it an option on both channels for the added flexibility.

My memory is the same as Jim's. At Timeout West, QB1 was only the default on Monday Nights. I played almost 7 nights a week from 2000 until 2008. I never saw QB1 come up on a Thursday or Sunday night. The owner or staff would not have locked them out as they had no idea on how to do it, plus the owner was a QB1 fanatic. It was the only game he played. He did not give a shit about Trivia.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

In a discussion on their FB page initiated by a QB1 wanting to know why QB1 can't be made available on Channel 2, BT claims: "moving QB1 to the B channel is a difficult challenge when it comes to coordinating the schedule for Texas Hold 'em games..." Really? Back before Channel 3 came and went, we had the same Texas Hold 'Em games on Channel 2, and we never had any problem getting QB1 on Channel 2 when we wanted to play both it and trivia simultaneously (not recommended). BT stated that there are more card players than QB1 players, though that certainly is a location-specific attribute, and one would think the location could decide for itself how to balance things among the trivia, card, and QB1 players. So again, as with the questions as to why West zone locations can't opt for the East zone feed, the answer is not that it can't be done logistically, but that BT doesn't want to give its customers a choice (ostensibly because it knows better than they do what they want).

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 am 
Special

Once again no QB1 in the five bars closest to me in the South Bay on Monday night. Not even at Buffalo Wild Wings. Not sure who they think will still try to play the game the way they have it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm 
Phosphorus

A follow-up on my post last week. Our bar in Venice, Fl, did not have the game programmed once again but their manager had a much quicker response time to the problem. This week, we only missed the first possession instead of the first quarter. Next week, we will be sure to alert the management at 7:00pm so we can use that next hour to watch him reprogram QB1 instead of watching something as boring as the Pulse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

A player looking for a QB1 location on the Space Coast started a thread on BT's FB page, in which BT reveals it's putting together a PDF that folks can take to their location to show the manager how to do it; BT remarks "it's easy!"

Comment 1: By definition, anything that requires a PDF to explain it cannot be easy. If it was easy, it should be capable of being communicated in one or two sentences.

Comment 2: I'm sure all the managers out there can't wait to have customers shoving in their faces printouts, iPads, or other form in which the customer has the PDF and expecting the manager to read it while other customers are wanting things such as beverages and food.

As I said in my response to that thread, at SRO we have a trivia-friendly, QB1-friendly, friendly to us as customers location, and I'm not even going to try getting the staff to program QB1 until the playoffs. Before we used to go out for a least a few games during the regular season--but that was when we knew it wasn't going to be a hassle for us or for the location.

Brooke/AARDVK

Last edited by AARDVK on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

AARDVK wrote:
A player looking for a QB1 location on the Space Coast started a thread on BT's FB page, in which BT reveals it's putting together a PDF that folks can take to their location to show the manager how to do it; BT remarks "it's easy!"

:shock:

:o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, really, if it were at all possible for a fella to laugh his balls off, I would be looking under my desk right now to see where they rolled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Himself Fodder

I will admit, the following email link and BT webpage is an excellent idea.

http://www.buzztime.com/qb1-locations/l ... 1%20Update

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 am 
Lord of Scaratings

-BO- wrote:
I will admit, the following email link and BT webpage is an excellent idea.

http://www.buzztime.com/qb1-locations/l ... 1%20Update

Yes, good idea. Not one site in Georgia, though.

And this is football country.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I just learned yesterday that the QB1 selection needs to be made before the start of the game, otherwise it can't be done. So anyone who is trying to get a staff person to override the default and select it has to make sure the process is complete as otherwise the outcome is not just that the first few plays or so are missed, but the entire game.

Was this also true back when QB1 was selectable on Channel 2? I seem to remember times when we were having trouble getting it, and we got a manager involved, and were able to join the game in progress.

If so, BT must be the only company that actually has negative technological progress, as once again something that could easily be done before (such as having QB1 selectable on Channel 2 as well as Channel 1) now according to BT's current staff would be very hard to do).

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:29 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I agree and expect that most of BT's salaries are going to the brass and not to high-level techs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 pm 
Himself Fodder

For 20 years tech support could force feed QB1 to the site after kickoff, and regardless of what customer service might say, I believe it still can be done. The problem is that if this is done there is no opportunity to synch at the kickoff. But that really shouldn't be a big deal because many a time I've had to talk to support and get us re-synched.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
For 20 years tech support could force feed QB1 to the site after kickoff, and regardless of what customer service might say, I believe it still can be done. The problem is that if this is done there is no opportunity to synch at the kickoff. But that really shouldn't be a big deal because many a time I've had to talk to support and get us re-synched.

I called in for a technical problem a year or two ago and was told ( although it may no longer be true ) it takes time because the core system is old code, older than the new programmers. Would a kid getting out of college today be familiar with Fortran, Cobol or DOS? If you have staff turnover it gets worse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Centenarian

Anyone playing QB1 tonight with the Colts and Giants game?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Looks like the list of default QB1 sites has not been updated for this year (imagine that :lol:). Supposedly the site closest to my humble lil abode, Black Angus Friars Road, is no longer default QB1 per one of their staff, but it is still listed. :roll: :(

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

HoopScoop wrote:
Anyone playing QB1 tonight with the Colts and Giants game?

38 players for the QB1 game. Kind of the opposite of "if you build it, they will come" ---> "If you hide it, they won't find it"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
I just learned yesterday that the QB1 selection needs to be made before the start of the game, otherwise it can't be done. So anyone who is trying to get a staff person to override the default and select it has to make sure the process is complete as otherwise the outcome is not just that the first few plays or so are missed, but the entire game.

Was this also true back when QB1 was selectable on Channel 2? I seem to remember times when we were having trouble getting it, and we got a manager involved, and were able to join the game in progress.

If so, BT must be the only company that actually has negative technological progress, as once again something that could easily be done before (such as having QB1 selectable on Channel 2 as well as Channel 1) now according to BT's current staff would be very hard to do).

Brooke/AARDVK

A very vague recollection: you could, but it was not immediate. You'd miss a couple of plays minimum. An early commercial break was a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 pm 
Himself Fodder

zzuupp wrote:
AARDVK wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

A very vague recollection: you could, but it was not immediate. You'd miss a couple of plays minimum. An early commercial break was a big help.

See my above reply to Brooke's post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
See my above reply to Brooke's post.

Thanks