New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: QB1 no longer the default game
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

In a middle of a discussion on its FB page about the demise of SIQ/replacement with "The Pulse," BT snuck in this announcement:

"Also this year QB1 will be a selectable option at most locations, and not default. So during the football season we will have four default sports games on the Buzztime 1 channel - 5 if you are playing at a BWW - (sports fans can always get Sports Trivia on Buzztime 2). After football season is over we will really only have the one default game on Mondays."

So how many QB1 players are going to show up at their chosen location only to discover that no one selected QB1, and no one in the middle of a crowd rush re: an NFL game wants to take the time to do it? Also, as was pointed out by a player in another post, does this mean the Smartest Bar locations have to choose between the tournament game and QB1?

Brooke/AARDVK

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: QB1 no longer the default game
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

With the Smartest Bar / QB1 conflict, BWW Sports Illustrated daily repeats, Pulse repeat, Saturdays In The South and Raceday it's come down to you have to get to the site early and have "a manager" check what's programmed and get it changed if necessary to what you want to play or be disappointed. There are no poker players at the sites I go to so hopefully QB1 can be put on channel 2. I'm also guessing the mobile app won't be upgraded for Pulse or Saturdays in the South for a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I think this will be the last year for QB1. Few bars will go the trouble of programming it in and the number of players will plummet. This will give the justification to finally cancel it. Of course there will be an outcry but that's never stopped them before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Bonzo wrote:
I think this will be the last year for QB1. Few bars will go the trouble of programming it in and the number of players will plummet. This will give the justification to finally cancel it. Of course there will be an outcry but that's never stopped them before.

Actually the only scenario that takes into account every move, from alienating long-time players through the many changes (and SIQ players in particular this past week) to disregarding the West zone's drop in numbers following the so-called requested later times for the premium games and to putting QB1 at risk by changing its default status is that BT no longer wants to deal with locations. They can make all the noises they want to their shareholders about how their focus has changed to site retention, but then they throw curve ball after curve ball at those sites, such as what we can now term September Monday Night Fiasco with its mishmash of locations needing Smartest Bar, locations losing SIQ players who pass on The Pulse, and QB1 players whose play is frustrated completely or delayed while they try to find someone at the location who knows how to get it on. When player count goes down, locations go away--it's that simple. So maybe what BT really wants is for there to be such a precipitate drop in the number of locations that it can say, "Oh, what we need to now is go to an all-Internet-based play."

Problem with this strategy is they will end up competing against many other Internet game providers, all of who seem to have fewer problems with quality control and logistics than does BT. And they will lose all the people who preferred BT games to Internet games because they enjoyed going to locations and either playing as teams, or against other players at the location, or simply wanted a reason to get out of the house and socialize. So as a strategy, it's a pretty poor one.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I know that I will not folllow BT to internet usage only.

Since my home site is a BWW, they probably won't miss the money that I spend there almost daily, but I'm sure that if I played at a non-chain site, the owners would notice a decline in revenue once BT went away.

But back to the thread topic, QB1 does not have a player base at my site, for whatever reason...lack of game play understanding, people feed up with the sync issues, length of NFL games being too long, attention span issues, PMs dying...I'm sure there are other issues, but since I VERY rarely play, I don't know them all. Maybe they have to staff someone to oversee QB1 & then look for cheaters.

But it would seem that BT thinks that The Season & The Pulse will be their "next big thing'.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 pm 
Himself Fodder

Just got a mass email regarding QB1 from BT.

Stop by your favorite Buzztime location on Wednesday, September 5 for the QB1 season opener. Dallas takes on the NY Giants at 8:30 ET/5:30 PT. Just ask your server or bartender to pull up the game!

Just ask your server or bartender to pull up the game? Sure, all servers and bartenders are capable of programming the BT system. No problem whatsoever!

Naturally, if QB1 was the default game on Monday nights (yes, Wednesday in this case) we wouldn't have to ask our servers and bartenders to do the impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

Stop by your favorite Buzztime location on Wednesday, September 5 for the QB1 season opener. Dallas takes on the NY Giants at 8:30 ET/5:30 PT. Just ask your server or bartender to pull up the game!

Just ask your server or bartender to pull up the game? Sure, all servers and bartenders are capable of programming the BT system. No problem whatsoever!

Naturally, if QB1 was the default game on Monday nights (yes, Wednesday in this case) we wouldn't have to ask our servers and bartenders to do the impossible.

Over at Hooters, Me, FLY n DEVO knows how to program Sports Trivia in place of poker so we can do the same for QB1....hopefully on BT2.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

And of course there will be no conflict whatsoever with East zone players in the middle of SIX if QB1 is confined to Channel 1.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

AARDVK wrote:
-BO- wrote:

And of course there will be no conflict whatsoever with East zone players in the middle of SIX if QB1 is confined to Channel 1.

Brooke/AARDVK

I can see it now . . .

Match the QB1 play to the points scored for a correct call

Pass Short Right........1) 490
Pass Back Left..........2) 580
Run Left.................3) 210
Pass Deep Middle......4) 210

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
Bonzo wrote:

Checking in on the mobile app to the 5 BT bars closest to me now that the first game has started...and none of them have QB1 up. All are running Countdown. I too am amused at the idea of asking a manager or server to select it, hahahaha, that will go well.

Christina/HEELAX/COGNAC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 pm 
Himself Fodder

tarheelinlax wrote:
Bonzo wrote:

Checking in on the mobile app to the 5 BT bars closest to me now that the first game has started...and none of them have QB1 up. All are running Countdown. I too am amused at the idea of asking a manager or server to select it, hahahaha, that will go well.

Christina/HEELAX/COGNAC

Well, tonight is different because of the Six conflict. Don't expect to see many locations at all playing. The true test will be Monday with the national doubleheader and no premium game conflict.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 pm 
Himself Fodder

Don't know if it's me, the fact nobody played last night, or simply a HOF error, but I see no scores for last night's game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:19 am 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
-BO- wrote:
Don't know if it's me, the fact nobody played last night, or simply a HOF error, but I see no scores for last night's game.

I mentioned that QB1 was not showing in the HoF on BT's Facebook page earlier today, and someone from BT said they would look into it. Most of the site and BT network went down shortly after that! But when everything came back, there was still no QB1 in the HoF from last night. If I knew anyone that had played, I could look at their stats for the night and perhaps get an idea of how many people played from there. But I don't know anyone that played it last night.

Christina/HEELAX/COGNAC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:32 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

For those not on FB, there's a post up on BT's FB page by a very frustrated player at Slades Food And Spirits in Nashua, N.H. re: QB1. These folks had previously posted about the promotion they were doing, which was tied in with the start of QB1 last Wednesday. They'd even consulted with their rep to make sure they'd be getting the game. Then Wednesday comes, and no game airs, and no game is available for selection. What a complete mess. And as I said in my responding post, these people did everything they could to get QB1--how likely is it that the average BT location would even try?

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:41 am 
Himself Fodder

AARDVK wrote:
For those not on FB, there's a post up on BT's FB page by a very frustrated player at Slades Food And Spirits in Nashua, N.H. re: QB1. These folks had previously posted about the promotion they were doing, which was tied in with the start of QB1 last Wednesday. They'd even consulted with their rep to make sure they'd be getting the game. Then Wednesday comes, and no game airs, and no game is available for selection. What a complete mess. And as I said in my responding post, these people did everything they could to get QB1--how likely is it that the average BT location would even try?

Brooke/AARDVK

Sad.

Those guys are pretty hard core and longtime players having been around since the 90's, played with them once on a Monday night back in 2001 at their stomping grounds at the Holiday Inn. Most were pricks, but dedicated pricks.

Will be interested to see how many locations get QB1 programmed in for the Sunday games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Its a shame u can't program it in place of poker.....there are ppl who played both when the sports channel became to be 2 years ago....last year it was on after STC on BT1.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Himself Fodder

Apparently QB1 was available in at least some locations Wednesday night, the HOF is showing 75 locations and 220 players.

For Sunday's games, the 1e kickoff shows 82 locations and 183 players. 425e kickoff 79 locations and 183 players. The night game shows 68 locations and 153 players.

So 2% of BT locations programmed in the games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am 
Himself Fodder

Monday's doubleheader numbers.

7e kickoff, 139 sites, 408 players.
1030e kickoff, 111 sites, 308 players.

So about 3% of sites programmed the game.

It's definitely a different day and age, and what happened to QB1 starting in 2004 has not been BT's fault, rather an issue with mutliple TV signals. But through 2000 or so 20k players would be signed in for Monday Night Football.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm 
Phosphorus

At our site in Venice, Florida, where we had played the entire season last year, QB1 was not programmed. We spoke to the manager, who was not there the prior year and who did not recognize us as QB1 players. We are not actually sure if she knew what QB1 actually was.
Fortunately for us, she was very helpful in trying to get the game programmed for us so we would stay in her restaurant. Unfortunately for us, she did not know how to program the game so she had to call her Buzztime rep to get instructions on how to do so. Eventually, we got the game, but we missed the entire first quarter in the process.
We were told that it will not be a problem for the rest of the season. We will find out for sure next Monday night.
-BO- wrote:

I think that Buzztime is deluding itself if it thinks that bartenders and servers are going to be able to call up this game in a moment's notice like they said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:25 pm 
Himself Fodder

STATS wrote:
Unfortunately for us, she did not know how to program the game so she had to call her Buzztime rep to get instructions on how to do so. Eventually, we got the game, but we missed the entire first quarter in the process.
We were told that it will not be a problem for the rest of the season. We will find out for sure next Monday night.

Usually with selectable games, the settings carry over to the next week. In this case, if QB1 was selected on Monday night at a particular site, it will then be the default the next Monday night. It may or may not make a difference that QB1 was forced in late, same with the different starting times last night. But if QB1 comes up on it's own next week, you guys should be good to go for the rest of the season on Mondays, assuming of course nobody screws with the programming.

Therefore the site count should steadily rise throughout the season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Usually with selectable games, the settings carry over to the next week. In this case, if QB1 was selected on Monday night at a particular site, it will then be the default the next Monday night. It may or may not make a difference that QB1 was forced in late, same with the different starting times last night. But if QB1 comes up on it's own next week, you guys should be good to go for the rest of the season on Mondays, assuming of course nobody screws with the programming.

It used to work that way, but I think it no longer does that. I've killed some of the specialty games in the past few months (most often Trendalicious), only to return the next week and the originally scheduled game will pop up again. (I've experienced this at two different bars, too, I can't imagine either one of them knew how to program the game back in for the following week).

I just think the system now resets back to the original defaults each week. As it probably should.

But that could be a royal pain for a bar where a manager/employee actually knows how to switch to QB1, but a different manager/employee is working the following week and has no idea how to switch it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:21 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

STATS wrote:
I think that Buzztime is deluding itself if it thinks that bartenders and servers are going to be able to call up this game in a moment's notice like they said.

Remember, Buzztime's management knows more about what games we want than we do. By that logic, it stands to reason they Know Your Server's capabilities better, too :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
Remember, Buzztime's management knows more about what games we want than we do. By that logic, it stands to reason they Know Your Server's capabilities better, too :roll:

Laughing really, really loudly. As I posted on BT's FB page, if they were trying to kill QB1, their strategy is wonderful. If not, it's the equivalent of the strategy to get more people to play in the West zone by doing the split. And either way, unless they fix it soon (like right now), they're putting QB1 in a death spiral, when actually it offers something unique that as far as I know can't be gotten through Internet games.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

You and HUTCH should have called me... :ugeek:

STATS wrote:
At our site in Venice, Florida, where we had played the entire season last year, QB1 was not programmed. We spoke to the manager, who was not there the prior year and who did not recognize us as QB1 players. We are not actually sure if she knew what QB1 actually was.
Fortunately for us, she was very helpful in trying to get the game programmed for us so we would stay in her restaurant. Unfortunately for us, she did not know how to program the game so she had to call her Buzztime rep to get instructions on how to do so. Eventually, we got the game, but we missed the entire first quarter in the process.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

An interesting Buzztime response to somebody that suggested having QB1 also on channel B. I guess there are fewer trivia players than card players?

NTN Buzztime, Inc. wrote: "John- thank you for the feedback, moving QB1 to the B channel is a difficult challenge when it comes to coordinating the schedule for Texas Hold 'em games. Buzztime has a lot more cards players than we Qb1 players so we have to take that into consideration. We will certainly pass along your ideas and discuss and exhaust all possibilities to create a great experience for as many players as possible"