New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:43 am 
Lotsa Posta

Anyone else notice that every Question #3 in Countdown today was sports-related (usually NFL), as was every Question #4 of Late Shift? I know there are several sports trivia fans here, and I don't object to the occasional sports question in the mix, but I will really, really hate it if is this is a permanent new fixture from BT.

Post subject: Re: Sports Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Interesting development. On July 15 on Facebook, one Mike Azlin of Mississippi, who had just "won" player of the week the day before (he was the one in the football helmet), literally ranted about the lack of sports questions in Countdown and Lunchtime. Included statistics and everything.

Maybe Buzztime finally picked someone to listen to.

He also ranted about the allocation of players plus points per hour for the various games. Didn't rant about the continent split, though. Someone needs to draft him into that crusade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am 
Lord of Scaratings

whales wrote:
Interesting development. On July 15 on Facebook, one Mike Azlin of Mississippi, who had just "won" player of the week the day before (he was the one in the football helmet), literally ranted about the lack of sports questions in Countdown and Lunchtime. Included statistics and everything.

Maybe Buzztime finally picked someone to listen to.

He also ranted about the allocation of players plus points per hour for the various games. Didn't rant about the continent split, though. Someone needs to draft him into that crusade.

I can't imagine ranting about P+ point allocations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Akbar71 wrote:
Anyone else notice that every Question #3 in Countdown today was sports-related (usually NFL), as was every Question #4 of Late Shift? I know there are several sports trivia fans here, and I don't object to the occasional sports question in the mix, but I will really, really hate it if is this is a permanent new fixture from BT.

So if sports was 10% of the Late Shift and 6.67% of Countdown, you think that would be excessively weighted ?

Looking at the Buzztime audience, what do you think the percentage of Sport should be ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:48 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

So if sports was 10% of the Late Shift and 6.67% of Countdown, you think that would be excessively weighted ?

Looking at the Buzztime audience, what do you think the percentage of Sport should be ?

If we have to put up with 3 - 5 movie questions per typical CD game then I think one sports question per game is certainly not out of line

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'm guessing that with the ultramegaoverhyped opening of NFL training camps (oh look, RG3 did a sit-up!), the Buzzies seeded the games accordingly. Nice to know these things can be manually manipulated. And now I have 22% more Red Zone badges than I woke up yesterday with (much of which was courtesy of the Badge Hunter welfare system).

Hopefully we can have a few more sports questions without manual intervention, and outside of their selected question number ghettos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The third question during todays Countdown games was about baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:53 am 
U > 100 * 2

It'd be one thing if a question were dedicated to Italian opera in every Countdown game, but this being a general trivia game, is 7% of the questions being from a major trivia category really that big of a problem? Especially considering there are no sports trivia games on the main network...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:33 pm 
Centenarian

Jethro wrote:
It'd be one thing if a question were dedicated to Italian opera in every Countdown game, but this being a general trivia game, is 7% of the questions being from a major trivia category really that big of a problem? Especially considering there are no sports trivia games on the main network...

I would agree that one question of any sports would be reasonable. I noticed last Tuesday when I played that every Countdown that evening had some type of Olympics related question. Considering most Countdown games are overstuffed with either music types of questions or movies types, one sports question of some type is reasonable. Personally I wouldn't mind getting a basketball question once a game. There is a badge for boxing, horse racing and a generic Score! along with baseball, basketball, and football we could get some type of rotation of sports questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:08 am 
Lotsa Posta

Trend continued today. I haven't noticed if there are other category-specific questions, but that might simply be that the sports questions stick out to me, due to their relative rarity and my loathing of them. I'm hoping to be able to pay more attention to other specific question slots.

In response to what amount of sports questions would be "acceptable," my personal preference would be for fewer, as I hate them. That said, I am perfectly happy with a few in the mix in general trivia games. It is simply a field in which I have very little interest, so if there are too many for my taste, I'd simply stop playing, just as if there were too many "pop culture" questions. If others like that content, good for them.

The bigger issue for me is whether a specific question should be dedicated to sports, or to any particular subject. That would be a major change, and not one for the better, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 pm 
Centenarian

Guess it might be time to fess up. :shock: Triviapalooza 7.0 had a Buzztime rep - believe his name was Joey - show up on Friday. I casually complained of a lack of a true sports game ( damn U Pulse!!)... and lack of sports questions at all lately in Countdown games. Think it might have worked... for now... :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

sakictgif wrote:
Guess it might be time to fess up. :shock: Triviapalooza 7.0 had a Buzztime rep - believe his name was Joey - show up on Friday. I casually complained of a lack of a true sports game ( damn U Pulse!!)... and lack of sports questions at all lately in Countdown games. Think it might have worked... for now... :mrgreen: :lol:

I doubt it. Buzztime can't come to admit the split is stupid, just like they won't get a sports trivia game in the mix. I will never consider Buzztime Trivia to be a part of my regular schedule until those two things that need to happen, happen. Buzztime still sucks out West!

Good job bugging them anywho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

There's definitely an uptick in sports questions. Seems to be a few more on religious topics, too
Yesterday, I got 2 Gold Medalist and 3 Dunkadelic badges (giving me a grand total of 4 Dunkadelics)

I still think it's silly they have two badges each for football and basketball, but none for hockey and golf questions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm 
Himself Fodder

Certainly can't complain about 1 sports question per game, that's certainly fair. Thing is though, on a scale of 1-10, the sports question seems to be about an 8 while all the other topics seem to be about a 3. Almost certainly they are merely dragging the questions from the sports trivia games on the other channel, and those questions are not to be trifled with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

And now we have a plague of Bible questions. Ok, maybe not a plague, but they are becoming as common as locusts ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Played 5 games of Countdown yesterday afternoon. Just about every game had a question on a Disney movie villian. Every game had at least one question and possibly 2 on desserts/treats, including Eskimo Pies, pospsicles, and figgy pie, plus a couple more that I cant recall, but 1 - 2 questions every game. Interesting. Each game had a sports question as well, but not in the #3 slot anymore. I dont recall any of the sports questions right now off the top of head, but most of them were fairly high-level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I played about 10 Late Shift games over the weekend, and thanks to this thread, I did notice each of them had a sports question...usually on question #8.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:22 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

About time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
Played 5 games of Countdown yesterday afternoon. Just about every game had a question on a Disney movie villian. Every game had at least one question and possibly 2 on desserts/treats, including Eskimo Pies, pospsicles, and figgy pie, plus a couple more that I cant recall, but 1 - 2 questions every game. Interesting. Each game had a sports question as well, but not in the #3 slot anymore. I dont recall any of the sports questions right now off the top of head, but most of them were fairly high-level.

Every sports question in the games I played on Sunday afternoon was about the Olympics.
(There was: who won the most medals in this year's Olympics; the one about the Canadian figure skaters from '02; the Dan Jansen one; one about Emil Zatopek; one about Ben Johnson; and the sixth one momentarily eludes me.)
There was also one question every game related to colleges/universities.
There was at least one geography question every game, most had two.
There was one TV question every game.
As you mentioned, there was a food question every game and an entertainment topic themed for children (two were books, not movies) every game.

If they're going to continue topic marathons like yesterday, from now on the first game of the afternoon is going to tell me a lot about my plans for the rest of that day at the pub.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:26 pm 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
If they're going to continue topic marathons like yesterday, from now on the first game of the afternoon is going to tell me a lot about my plans for the rest of that day at the pub.

And here's what to look forward to the next time spotes hits the pub.....

CANADA, CANADA, CANADA!!!!

That's right, all sorts of questions about our lovable neighbors to the north. Anything goes, from the 8th PM to the most recent top hauler on Ice Road Truckers! It's a day of trivia not to be missed.