New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Curious About Something
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
Ended just below 40k after embarrassingly missing the history question in final six. Basic question and I missed it. Was looking at a 44-48k game after entering final with a score that was lower than normal.

Tuned In and Immortal Words were decent games, as was Topix. I would have had 12,700 in Topix if it weren't for the last question. Ended just under twelve. Cracked the local HST for each game I played tonight..which isn't too impressive with the current numbers but it feels good regardless.

Played Six last night and took tonight off. Played on a two-person, five-box team, and we had top-20 bar scores in every game except Sci-Files, a game that was designed by aliens! :mrgreen: In my opinion, the most ridiculous Six question last night was one of the matching questions; we were asked to match the former BYU quarterback by his uniform number. Not exactly a general-knowledge question, as far as I could tell.

What was the history question that you missed, just out of curiosity?

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Henry VI being the last Lancaster. I don't want to talk about it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

By the way, I lost my red plus sign tonight because I passed 750k. Now I have to intimidate people with some purple thing. Boo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
By the way, I lost my red plus sign tonight because I passed 750k. Now I have to intimidate people with some purple thing. Boo.

Believe it or not, I don't even know what color my symbol is. I have over 7M, but the number means nothing. Almost every player I know is either way ahead of or way behind me. (A couple of players at Adams Mill have close to my P+ total - not the ones who post here though.) My next color change is 12M. Not sure I will ever get there considering some of BT's less-than-exceptional decisions. If I do get there, it will be in about four years.

I would love to see a Topix on British Monarchy.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
In my opinion, the most ridiculous Six question last night was one of the matching questions; we were asked to match the former BYU quarterback by his uniform number.

Didn't play last night but let's see now.... Steve Young = 8, Jim McMahon = 9, everybody knows that. So with cursory knowledge of numbering conventions, if you've heard of only one of the others (assuming they didn't play the same position) it should be a piece of cake. You don't have to know their numbers to figure it out.

Now if they asked about 4 no-names, that's a different matter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:
In my opinion, the most ridiculous Six question last night was one of the matching questions; we were asked to match the former BYU quarterback by his uniform number.

Didn't play last night but let's see now.... Steve Young = 8, Jim McMahon = 9, everybody knows that. So with cursory knowledge of numbering conventions, if you've heard of only one of the others (assuming they didn't play the same position) it should be a piece of cake. You don't have to know their numbers to figure it out.

Clearly, everybody didn't know that. :) I admit that I don't know much about football, but my partner knows enough to cover some of the gaps. Numbering conventions? The numbers we were asked to match were in the 7 to 14 range. Steve Young was one of the QBs listed in the question, BTW.

Seems to me that questions about uniform numbers should be restricted to professional athletes, at least as far as Six is concerned. Were they to bring back more specialized games like Sports IQ, that may be a different story...

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Clearly, everybody didn't know that. :) I admit that I don't know much about football, but my partner knows enough to cover some of the gaps. Numbering conventions? The numbers we were asked to match were in the 7 to 14 range. Steve Young was one of the QBs listed in the question, BTW.

Seems to me that questions about uniform numbers should be restricted to professional athletes, at least as far as Six is concerned. Were they to bring back more specialized games like Sports IQ, that may be a different story...

-- RWM

I am (once again) assuming that you were matching their NFL numbers, and chances are they were the same anyway.

Sounds like they were all QB's, which makes things a bit more difficult. Numbering conventions mean QB's wear 1-19, RB's 20-39, WR's 10-19 and 80-89, etc. And if that's news to you may I suggest wagering 1k on sports in the final round. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:35 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I always wager one k on sports in Final Six.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:

I wager 3k on Games (and then hope the question isn't about football.) My full wagering order, when playing solo, is Sciences 4, World 6, Shows 1, Past 5, Games 3, and Arts 2.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:20 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

zog741 wrote:
mrgray wrote:

I wager 3k on Games (and then hope the question isn't about football.) My full wagering order, when playing solo, is Sciences 4, World 6, Shows 1, Past 5, Games 3, and Arts 2.

-- RWM

5K Science, 2K World, Past 4K, Shows 3K, Games 6K and Arts 1K for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I know I have said all my wagers and reasoning before on this thread, but I go 4,3,2,5,1,6.

I actually think science is one of my two best categories but I don't want to mess up on that category and be out 5 or 6k plus the bonus. Being out ten k right off the bat is way too demoralizing a prospect.... I save that for the final question like a champ. It's also just incredibly satisfying to let someone think they beat you for the round when in reality you have a max value question left. Pow pow...so rewarding :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
I know I have said all my wagers and reasoning before on this thread, but I go 4,3,2,5,1,6.

I actually think science is one of my two best categories but I don't want to mess up on that category and be out 5 or 6k plus the bonus. Being out ten k right off the bat is way too demoralizing a prospect.... I save that for the final question like a champ. It's also just incredibly satisfying to let someone think they beat you for the round when in reality you have a max value question left. Pow pow...so rewarding :D

Multiple tablets with different values on each but trend toward the lower values on arts and shows.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Lowest score since Sept. 3rd. Was around 3k behind my average for the second and third rounds, and that 6k deficit plus screwing up the first round had me under 20k going into final...an occurrence that is very rare. Maybe the first or second time ever? Had a decent final, better than my usual. The damn sports question cost me the bonus which would have landed me in "decent for me" territory.

Had a terrible game of Sci-Files and Lexitopia. The Pastimes game was all right. In all, I learned Christmas eve is an easy night to top one hundred in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Scratch that. It became impossible to get a top one hundred after Six.

6,650 15 1st of 2 65th of 379

That sad sci-files score got me a top one hundred. I'd feel bad about it if it weren't for my pastimes score.

Six:

36,250 30 1st of 2 102nd of 425

Pastimes:

7,543 10 1st of 2 50th of 267

Lexitopia:

66th of 229 Uh score not needed ahem

Would have been nice to be top one hundred in six. Just fell too short.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 pm 
Centenarian

BGTUNA wrote:
Then you have the sandbaggers...

Oh, don't go there, :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 pm 
Centenarian

Problem with sports in SIX, is it isn't sports, its games, I fancy myself being fairly knowledgeable in sports questions, but I don't bid high (usually 2-3K) because it will turn out to be about badminton or water polo :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 pm 
Himself Fodder

richte09 wrote:
Problem with sports in SIX, is it isn't sports, its games, I fancy myself being fairly knowledgeable in sports questions, but I don't bid high (usually 2-3K) because it will turn out to be about badminton or water polo :(

Considering badminton and water polo are both Olympic events, I'd say they're sports without question and certainly fair sports game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:52 am 
Centenarian

I'd think you'd be more worried about the occasional video game question that sneaks into "Games" in the final few rounds since those certainly qualify. Those questions are a slam dunk for me, but for others...

My wagering is the same in solo or team play for the final round: 2,4,6,3,5,1.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm a 531426 guy every time.

My risk of course is when they pretend pulp lit or rap are "the Arts" (yes I know the definition dictionaries use, but by that the software manual for Lotus 123 is art, and nobody sees an obituary listing the deceased as a "patron of the arts" and assumes it meant they bought Eminem albums or read Harlequin romances a lot).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I wonder if we can make psychological profiles on people based on their predetermined wagers. :P

These days I am getting pretty discouraged. It seems like I am doomed to have the worst final rounds of all time. Looking back over my records, I haven't been able to crack 40.000 points in the last six games. Honorable mention goes to my March 4th game. I went into the final with ~22k, my lowest in a while. However, the final was solid. 4000/4000 on the first question. 3000/3000 on the second. 2000/2000 on the next. 5000/5000 after that. Things are going great, right? Not really because at that point I couldn't hold it anymore and had to use the bathroom. I missed out on the last 11k points, settling at 36k. 47k would have been my highest score on record, now that all of my 47-49k games have been phased out.

Tonight was rough as well. Weak first couple of rounds but it was enough to be ahead by a few thousand points if not more. Then marathon round, where I generally hit my stride. I got 15.6k or so, which isn't amazing but it was double what the next person got for the round. So I went into the final with 26k and they were all under 14k. I won because of that cushion but I only got 8k points in the final. I really thought tonight would be my night to crack 40k again. Alas it was not meant to be.

Also, did anyone else think Easy Six forgot how to be Easy tonight?

Luckily I did moderately well in the two following games, getting about 7k each. Not looking forward to dropping 9k from Lexitopia in a couple weeks, I can tell you that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 pm 
Himself Fodder

Sounds like you're adhering to your self-fulfilling prophecy of negativity. Think about it.

If you want to do better, you gotta work at it. How many hours have you spent studying trivia lately? How many lists have you memorized? How many almanacs have you read? (and a certain chimp lover will laugh at me for the above suggestions)

Being a good trivia player is a skill honed by work. If it were easy everybody would do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:02 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I haven't had a true commitment to studying trivia in years. In fact I've done the opposite and vegged out on a PC for the last few years. To be honest though, you don't have to be that in mental shape to hit 40k in Six, which is what annoys me about not hitting it. One question in the final round cost me 9k tonight, so I missed out yet again. I guess it's time to prepare for these games. :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Sounds like you're adhering to your self-fulfilling prophecy of negativity. Think about it.

If you want to do better, you gotta work at it. How many hours have you spent studying trivia lately? How many lists have you memorized? How many almanacs have you read? (and a certain chimp lover will laugh at me for the above suggestions)

Being a good trivia player is a skill honed by work. If it were easy everybody would do it.

I'll have you know that there are literally dozens of things that I would laugh at you about before this topic even came up... :mrgreen:
I think you misunderstand my position, Bo.
I have nothing against studying materials of interest which may or may not come in handy later for trivia purposes.
I do it all of the time.
What I find statistically unlikely is the potential benefit of short term last minute cramming in expansive categories.

To recap:
Repetitive exposure to information over time = "good"
last minute crammathon = "meh"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Broke the curse with 42k! Not incredible but it's a relief.

On the 18th Marathon question, the clue actually meant something to me because I learned that athlete plays golf from Wednesday Six. Unfortunately I was half a second slow and when I pressed the correct answer I had just gotten 0 points for it. Threw 2k bonus points away by being a bit too slow. 24K and some change going into the final.

Final Six opened with an easy one. You didn't even have to know the answer...the way the question was worded, it had to be genes. Then I lost the bonus, and a total of 7k on the next question. That meant I could get around 18K at best for the final (lost a few points on the science one but not even a hundred).

Alec Guinness question was one of those I knew via gut reaction more than remembering watching it... perhaps asked of me before in a buzztime game. 2k/2k there.

It was shaping up so I had to land my 5k and 6k questions. History came up and I got it. 5k/5k

Sports Category I wagered 1k... it wasn't important past helping to add wiggle room in case I needed to change an answer on the final question.

The final question was a very easy 6k.

After eight games of wrecking my average, I finally cracked 40k again. It feels good. And I was basicallly half a second + one question away from breaking 50k.

Also had a very embarrassing moment in Tuned In tonight. I know enough to know the intro to the Dick Van Dyke show has DVD stumbling over a coffee table but I missed that question because it asked what Robert Petrie did in the intro. Just having a vague memory of the intro (as well as never watching the show), I thought Robert Petrie was another actor on the show and I specifically avoided that answer because I knew DVD did that. That question would have given me an 8k+ game/top 100. Woops :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 pm 
Dominoes

I play with my buddies most of the time and we either play competition or share for bar score. Yes it isn't you on your own when playing barscore sharing or shouting as some call it! But it makes a bond of camaraderie and keeps people playing which these days are not so good from my view.
Places to play are starting to dwindle in my neck of the woods. Orlando and Melbourne Indialantic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next