New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'm apparently not "going" to the shareholders meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

[Necro disclosure: this thread began in June 2015]

I just got the legal proxy for my shares today and I am going to tomorrow's shareholders meeting in Carlsbad. The only other time I went was 1996, the final year the Downs brothers were running the company.

I am just too curious about how much disappointment there might be in the air there. Myself I haven't played a single question in over a year and a half. I'm not expecting anyone there to ask me why, but I think I'll have my answers ready.

Last edited by whales on Mon May 23, 2016 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I'm going to the shareholders meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's probably too late but I would be more than pleased to give you the proxy vote on my shares for the meeting. I've never gone, maybe on the next vacation to see ILLJOL.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Wow, what a blast it was. I will write more later but yes I met both Ram Krishnan and Jeff Berg, the last two CEO's, and met several of the big-time investors. I seemed to be the only one present with the playership perspective, and it seems many were seeking me out on that basis.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

whales wrote:
Wow, what a blast it was. I will write more later but yes I met both Ram Krishnan and Jeff Berg, the last two CEO's, and met several of the big-time investors. I seemed to be the only one present with the playership perspective, and it seems many were seeking me out on that basis.

I am glad it was you, as I am sure you told them the split sucks balls..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
whales wrote:

I am glad it was you, as I am sure you told them the split sucks balls..

Hope he repeats that message. Unspliting will result to better play and Better selling to potential new venues

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Well

With Clint Worley having introduced himself into the group, and with this year's shareholders meeting just around the corner, it occurred to me I never did write more about last year's blast. So

I came to the meeting with no intention of anything but silently observing. But immediately when I walked in the door, picked a seat in the front row and went for coffee and a snack at the side table, a certain fellow, good-natured, made a beeline for me to meet me and start a conversation. His name was Barry Dwek and I would learn he was a high-roller investor attending his first meeting as a very new shareholder. He was there in tandem with another such investor who was attending his second meeting. It gradually came out of me that I was a 20-year investor attending only my second with my first and only other being in the Nineties. This amazed them, and at least twice in succession they asked me if I had doubled down and why had I not doubled down. I had already done more talking in 5 minutes without the meeting having even started, than I believed I would do all day, but finally it occurred to me that I could open up to these two with my honest answer to their repeated question about my investor status: I went in in the 90's purely as an excited player of the product and that the pure answer to not investing more was that purely as a player I had long since been disappointed and didn't believe in the product. These folks (indeed, apparently not one investor in the room, I would come to learn) had never played or seen the games.

CEO Ram Krishnan opened the meeting, quickly moved through all the formalities and was about to adjourn the meeting when Mr. Dwek raised his hand and stood, astonished that Mr. Krishnan was making to close it up and leave without offering a more conversational message about the company, the product, the future, etc., which Mr. Dwek as a career investor was accustomed to hearing at other such shareholder meetings. It seemed Mr. Dwek at that point single-handedly kept the meeting going (amiably enough, but expressing more and more disappointment) with follow-up points and questions to each bit of further comment that Mr. Krishnan would offer.

The tablets became the subject of the back-and-forth. Mr. Krishnan identified two specific competitors who were developing tablets for restaurants with the technology for menu ordering and bill paying, that Buzztime was up against. Mr. Krishnan made the point to the room that what set Buzztime's product apart was the superior entertainment offerings that the competitors weren't attempting. Whereupon Mr. Dwek pointed at me and said well I was speaking to this gentleman right here before the meeting and he says the entertainment side is a disappointment also. Holy crap, is there a word for that, when every eye in the room follows someone's finger right to you in one split second.

So I made my comment to the room, that I had had no intention of speaking out like Mr. Dwek, but yes he was correct that from this player's perspective the product had become a disappointment.

The meeting ended and Mr. Krishnan amiably came straight to me and expressed he wanted to know more about this perspective, would I be sure to leave behind my contact information for someone to reach me. He had to run to another meeting but Jeff Berg hung around a while longer and a little cluster of investors formed near me for further conversation. (Jeff Berg was interim CEO prior to Ram Krishnan and was still in the picture as board member and major investor). Evidently not one investor in the room had ever attempted the simple pure playership experience - a few formed a grand plan right then and there to go out to a location and play it for the first time. I would have loved to have joined them as tour guide for that - but I had to go work a shift, drive back to L.A.

My little conversation with Jeff Berg was all about the split, it being the reason I had not played one single question in 18 months to that point, and not one premium game in 40 months to that point. I all but promised him he would get players back if he ended the split. It was Jeff Berg with whom I left my contact info, phone number.

A phone message came to me a few days later. It was from Clint Worley. He wanted to have a conversation at my convenience about the perspective I had introduced to Mr. Krishnan and Mr. Berg at the meeting. I left him a reply message and although we never did have actual live voice conversation, I did write an e-mail essay in reply, it was all about the network split.

The network split ended six weeks later.
Credit Mr. Barry Dwek - I hope to see him at this year's meeting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Sounds like we all have you to thank. Nice work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yes, thanks Whales! I'd like to say that the disconnect between the management and the users is astonishing, but anyone who has played for awhile cannot be surprised by this. At least it seems they have been making a sincere effort to connect with players lately.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks for sharing. Are you planning on going to this year's meeting also? With the network split gone...I've ventured out for The Pulse...still wishing SIQ would comeback....

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 pm 
New Driver

I had a great back and forth conversation with Whales about the network split last year and making the change back made total sense once we discussed the pros and cons surrounding the decision. There are a variety of players that interact with Buzztime. From younger kids playing our single player (arcade games) to slightly older players that are focused around on-demand/scheduled trivia. Buzztime is working to offer a diverse entertainment catalog for everyone. Generally that comes with some amount of compromise. There can be obvious enhancements (like changes to the network split) that can make big changes seemingly overnight. Even with that change there are players that messaged me that weren't pleased with the merge.

At the end of the day we have tons of player data on our side that we can use to make informed decisions. We also need to foster better relationships with our players (casual and avid) to give us better context on the players perspective. Both streams of data will result in the best solutions for both Buzztime and the players.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback and encourage the continued open discussions.

Post subject: Re: I'm apparently not "going" to the shareholders meeting
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It's an audio-only "virtual" shareholders meeting now, on June 3.

So after last year's event, the company wants to never again be face-to-face with investors.
Glad I got in there when I did.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

whales wrote:
It's an audio-only "virtual" shareholders meeting now, on June 3.

So after last year's event, the company wants to never again be face-to-face with investors.
Glad I got in there when I did.

Don't take it personally, whales.
I should imagine that they didn't want to be face-to-face with their investors well before you came onto the scene.
Those soirees are fairly pointless exercises in back patting or "paradigm shifting" lip service, anyway.
In point of fact, I'd wager that the 1911 annual White Star shareholders meeting was a hell of a shindig...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Buzztime will be taking questions during the online shareholders meeting so all is not lost. More people may be able to participate this way, just not face to face.

One of the items to be voted on at the meeting is a reverse 1 for 100 split followed by a forward split between 2 to 1 and 4 to 1. What that means is anyone with less than 100 shares will be cashed out of their fractional share after the reverse split and sent a check. Apparently 44% of the shareholders are these small timers who only account for .03% of shares. They will be booted out to save expenses, unless they buy some shares soon to bring their total to 100 shares or more.

This will also bring the share price up to a level where institutional buyers can buy and will avoid delisting.

So you guys with 10 shares go get 90 more for a few bucks.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hmmm...
An awful lot of financial wheeling and dealing from folks who, historically, have had difficulty even mastering the use of Roman numerals...? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:28 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
Buzztime will be taking questions during the online shareholders meeting so all is not lost. More people may be able to participate this way, just not face to face.

One of the items to be voted on at the meeting is a reverse 1 for 100 split followed by a forward split between 2 to 1 and 4 to 1. What that means is anyone with less than 100 shares will be cashed out of their fractional share after the reverse split and sent a check. Apparently 44% of the shareholders are these small timers who only account for .03% of shares. They will be booted out to save expenses, unless they buy some shares soon to bring their total to 100 shares or more.

This will also bring the share price up to a level where institutional buyers can buy and will avoid delisting.

I read the conference call details. Was pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:36 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

scar wrote:
BUD wrote:

I read the conference call details. Was pretty interesting. Going live at a B Dubs with menu ordering and payment on the tablets.

Also introduced paying for premium (not trivia) games on the tablets

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:
I read the conference call details. Was pretty interesting. Going live at a B Dubs with menu ordering and payment on the tablets.
Damned if I'm going to shove a $20 bill into that little pinhole that boots the tablet. Not to mention the sundry change.