New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Let's Actually Discuss Trivia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:01 pm 
Himself Fodder

In protest of the lack of posts regarding trivia and the preponderance of free for all posts.

Noticed overall scores in The Season were low last night, what was the apparently difficult final question?

Also, what was the final question in Spotlight? I see Houston is once again asserting their dominance.

Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Discuss Trivia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
In protest of the lack of posts regarding trivia and the preponderance of free for all posts.

Noticed overall scores in The Season were low last night, what was the apparently difficult final question?

Also, what was the final question in Spotlight? I see Houston is once again asserting their dominance.

I thought the questions last night for The Season were more difficult than on the previous two weeks that I had played. It wasn't just the final question that was difficult.

The final question asked which one of several announcers worked for CBS. Sorry, I don't recall the choices.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:

The final Season question was:

WHICH OF THESE
ANNOUNCERS IS DOING NFL
PLAY-BY-PLAY FOR CBS
THIS SEASON?

The choices were:

KEVIN HARLAN
THOM BRENNAMAN
DICK STOCKTON
KENNY ALBERT
CHRIS MYERS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:26 pm 
Himself Fodder

Yep, not that easy. And not googleable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

-BO- wrote:

I believe Kevin Harlan is on the 3rd broadcast team which means he will generally cover one of the worst weekend games every week on CBS. Being a Patriots fan means I haven't ever seen him. Maybe I should pay more attention to the other games when at a bar watching games on the NFL package...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

Also, what was the final question in Spotlight?

Actor's Resume. Which actress was in a movie with an alien, was one of Charlie's Angels, and something else that I forget now.

(Once you figured out the movie was E.T. then it's pretty clear)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
-BO- wrote:

I believe Kevin Harlan is on the 3rd broadcast team which means he will generally cover one of the worst weekend games every week on CBS. Being a Patriots fan means I haven't ever seen him. Maybe I should pay more attention to the other games when at a bar watching games on the NFL package...

Harlan also does NCAA basketball games for CBS, so it had to be him :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

I thought the questions last night for The Season were more difficult than on the previous two weeks that I had played. It wasn't just the final question that was difficult.

Hells bells. To show what a difference a week makes :roll:, my non-sports expert score of the 14th was more than the combined scores for the 7th & 21st. I haven't bothered to tune in much on NFL Sundays (other than to see if those damnable FCHGRS are losing :lol:) , so I had NFI on this weeks final, and predictably whiffed. :cry:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

We whiffed on Harlan at Hardtimes. Being mostly Redskins fans we don't watch the 3rd CBS game very often and didn't know him.

The Redskins took the 3rd best team score behind Houston & Tampa again. It's going to be tough to beat them. Maybe we can get some converts over to the Redskins if anyone wants to beat up on them 2 favorites. Hardtimes was 5th.

Thanks also to Brandy? and/or Clavin? or whoever put F BUD on the rankings board all game, kicked my butt for sure.

We did get the final Q in Spotlight ending up 9th. OPIEE and JJ knew it right away. Houston battled it out again for this win flipping spots from The Season.

Bring on Buffalo next week.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

FBUD was me. We were playing the Titans, it was for Bud Adams :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I played last night's Season solo. When I got to the last question, I figured I wouldn't know the answer (I was right!) and wagered nothing. I didn't even enter a guess on that last question.

When the answer was revealed, my Playmaker screen displayed "Touchdown! ... You earned 0 points."

Pretty strange.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:12 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
I played last night's Season solo. When I got to the last question, I figured I wouldn't know the answer (I was right!) and wagered nothing. I didn't even enter a guess on that last question.

When the answer was revealed, my Playmaker screen displayed "Touchdown! ... You earned 0 points."

Pretty strange.

Insert Herm Edwards quote here.

What occurred is consistent with every game with a final question.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
We whiffed on Harlan at Hardtimes. Being mostly Redskins fans we don't watch the 3rd CBS game very often and didn't know him.

The Redskins took the 3rd best team score behind Houston & Tampa again. It's going to be tough to beat them. Maybe we can get some converts over to the Redskins if anyone wants to beat up on them 2 favorites. Hardtimes was 5th.

Thanks also to Brandy? and/or Clavin? or whoever put F BUD on the rankings board all game, kicked my butt for sure.

We did get the final Q in Spotlight ending up 9th. OPIEE and JJ knew it right away. Houston battled it out again for this win flipping spots from The Season.

Bring on Buffalo next week.

Houston is good at that game. But you know what, hardcore football fans scare me :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Pretty strange.

I find that to be doubtful, but I'll check first with some of the other games before I say more. However, that "Touchdown" message does seem like a programming bug, to say the least.

The final question on The Season would probably be more like Playback than like Showdown or Spotlight, since I can wager zero. But if I wager something other than zero in Playback and don't answer the last question, I would lose points. That would be consistent with my being "Sacked" on the final question on Season.

-- RWM

Last edited by zog741 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:52 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Pretty strange.

I find that to be doubtful, but I'll check first with some of the other games before I say more. However, that "Touchdown" message does seem like a programming bug, to say the least.

Any game with a final question, if you don't wager and don't answer, your score doesn't change. Plenty of non-players do this to protect their scores from falling below the P+ threshold.

The TD message probably stems from code stating any non-negative result displays TD instead of any positive result. I don't fault the programmers, after all, since the object of the game is to score the most points why would anybody not answer?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
The TD message probably stems from code stating any non-negative result displays TD instead of any positive result...

Actually, no.

The first time I ever played the Season, I had the misfortune of having one of the bartenders change the screen where I was playing trivia over to The Golf Channel. :evil: By the time I got someone's attention to change it back, and by the time another TV screen was finally set back to trivia, it was the final question, which I answered incorrectly. That time the message read, "Sacked ... You earned 0 points."

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:
The TD message probably stems from code stating any non-negative result displays TD instead of any positive result...

Actually, no.

The first time I ever played the Season, I had the misfortune of having one of the bartenders change the screen where I was playing trivia over to The Golf Channel. :evil: By the time I got someone's attention to change it back, and by the time another TV screen was finally set back to trivia, it was the final question, which I answered incorrectly. That time the message read, "Sacked ... You earned 0 points."

-- RWM

Forget trivia scoring irregularities...
I want to know what kind of sports bar would show the Golf Channel.
Was the Oxygen network scrambled?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:

The place was Chicago Sams of Enfield, Connecticut. I rarely go there, but on the last two occasions I went, the screen where I was playing trivia was switched to something else. Which is why I rarely go there. (The other time it was an NBA playoff game.)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
spotes wrote:

The place was Chicago Sams of Enfield, Connecticut. I rarely go there, but on the last two occasions I went, the screen where I was playing trivia was switched to something else. Which is why I rarely go there. (The other time it was an NBA playoff game.)

-- RWM

Sorry about that zog.
My post was really just one of my classic pranks aimed at BO.

Bazinga!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:11 am 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
My post was really just one of my classic pranks aimed at BO.

Bazinga!

Sorry, I need a sarcasm sign to detect these clever retorts.

Pilot episode was on TBS tonight, while watching it I missed Pujols hit 11 homers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 pm 
Himself Fodder

Didn't get out tonight and fight the Ranger fans, what kind of difficult questions did the Grand Prix round have?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Played the football game solo Friday, first time seeing it.

Thought the game was toooooooo looooong and partly boring. I got to texting with SPIEGS during the breaks (Saw that they were on the boards and was wondering who BC was bumpdrafting to make the boards) and I quess they had a good time playing as a team (NUNZ, JETS, BH and I think some visitors from CA).

I quess I'll look at my score on the BT site, but don't think too many folks played at my site --WVU asswhipping was on, also.

Did knew the final answer, though...for full points. At this point, not a fan, but haven't watched much football since hockey has started.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
Didn't get out tonight and fight the Ranger fans, what kind of difficult questions did the Grand Prix round have?

one i remember:
former trainer of boxer Emile Griffith who became a famous commentator: Ans- 3) Gil Clancy (sp?) . we missed that and two others in Grand Prix and other than that, we only missed the Bono question :P ('nascar crew chiefs'...since we didn't feel good at all about hurricane football.).

gavv

gavv factoid: my uncle fought Emile Griffith twice and beat sugar ray robinson in his final fight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 am 
Himself Fodder

gavv wrote:
gavv factoid: my uncle fought Emile Griffith twice and beat sugar ray robinson in his final fight

Cool stuff. Although Sugar Ray was 127 years old when he fought your uncle. Sugar Ray always lied about his age, everybody knows that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
gavv wrote:

Cool stuff. Although Sugar Ray was 127 years old when he fought your uncle. Sugar Ray always lied about his age, everybody knows that. :D

of course :) still counts as a W tho :D

gavv