New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Discuss Trivia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've notice a lot more entertainment questions in regular CD games again.

And saw 4-5 CAR q's while playing on Saturday. I was much happier when those qs went away for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Just thought I'd post in an actual trivia thread instead of having 7 worthless free for all threads cluttering the top of a trivia forum. Hell, just for kicks perhaps I'll just bump real threads and force the trash threads completely off the first page.

Great Idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
I've notice a lot more entertainment questions in regular CD games again.

And saw 4-5 CAR q's while playing on Saturday. I was much happier when those qs went away for a while.

I was noticng the same apparent trend. Havent played much in the past couple weeks but certainly throughout August and into mid- Septmember the number of "entertainment-based" questions seems to be rising again. Its always easy for me to tell because the more entertainment questions there are the lower my game average goes. For a time over the summer I was enjoying CountDown again. Now, not so much......................

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 am 
Himself Fodder

I noticed it Tuesday as well, not horrible like with BTT, but 4-5 Q's each game were of the tv/music/movie variety.

Uh-oh, am actually discussing trivia after midnight. I probably don't fit in here. Maybe I'll just provide tips on how to beat the arcade games "Track and Field" and "Hyper Sports".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Now, now, BO.
Man does not live by trivia alone.

Granted, talking about trivia on this forum is certainly better than doing it in the real world.
The blank stares... my God, the blank stares...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I quit playing yesterday due to all of the Entertainment questions. First chance to really play in 4 days and felt like I was playing Blur or Trendalicious. In one CD game, the first 4 of 5 qs were entertainment related...plus a frickin' hunchback car question.

And what makes me so disgruntled is...there are new sites open just up the road...that AREN'T a BWW, but I don't want to play the product that I saw yesterday afternoon ANYWHERE.

A chance to play at sites where I don't have to program out repeat SI Trivia or Newcastle Hour long trivia about bullshit would be great. Different beers & food options, but BT is reverting back to the old 15 minute/10 question data bank Gen Whatever questions.

Hell, I might actually look at what's in the computer game thread to see some other options to BT.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

^It does seem like Late Shift has finally resorted back to the old 15 minute Buzztime game. I haven't been getting to the bar early enough to play much Countdown, but if the current Countdown has resorted back to the pre-split Countdown, then it would be nice if buzztime dumped everything pre-split & just go back to one network and alternate between two 15 minute games & one 30 minute game again. It's just so boring to play a 15 minute game after 15 minute game until the cows come home. They need to sprinkle late night Countdown games in the mix to break up the monotony.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

tiefly wrote:
I quit playing yesterday due to all of the Entertainment questions. First chance to really play in 4 days and felt like I was playing Blur or Trendalicious. In one CD game, the first 4 of 5 qs were entertainment related...plus a frickin' hunchback car question.

And what makes me so disgruntled is...there are new sites open just up the road...that AREN'T a BWW, but I don't want to play the product that I saw yesterday afternoon ANYWHERE.

A chance to play at sites where I don't have to program out repeat SI Trivia or Newcastle Hour long trivia about bullshit would be great. Different beers & food options, but BT is reverting back to the old 15 minute/10 question data bank Gen Whatever questions.

Hell, I might actually look at what's in the computer game thread to see some other options to BT.

I see things haven't improved any in my absense. I tried this place for a while but the quality of questions is no better http://www.funtrivia.com/
the number of poorly worded and repeat questions was astounding. this site is 100% user written questions which only goes to illustrate the GIGO principle at work.
currently my trivia diet consists or watching Jeopardy 3 or 4 times per week.
Its sad to say but maybe its time to double tap Buzztime and put it out of its misery - maybe someone might put together a decent product - they would probably have to use smart phones instead of playmakers-type machines to keep the overhead costs in control

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 pm 
Moons of Uranus

poman wrote:
^It does seem like Late Shift has finally resorted back to the old 15 minute Buzztime game. I haven't been getting to the bar early enough to play much Countdown, but if the current Countdown has resorted back to the pre-split Countdown, then it would be nice if buzztime dumped everything pre-split & just go back to one network and alternate between two 15 minute games & one 30 minute game again. It's just so boring to play a 15 minute game after 15 minute game until the cows come home. They need to sprinkle late night Countdown games in the mix to break up the monotony.

Isn't this past your bedtime? :)

On a related note, most people can see that the Countdown content has changed somewhat in the past few weeks. Whether this is due to more entertainment or car questions or whatever, I'm not sure, but I'd rather have this incarnation of Countdown versus the easy game we had the prior few months with a 15000 (usually several) in each game. So, if you had to pick between what we've been seeing in the past few weeks versus what we had the few months before, which would you choose?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

megumi wrote:
On a related note, most people can see that the Countdown content has changed somewhat in the past few weeks. Whether this is due to more entertainment or car questions or whatever, I'm not sure, but I'd rather have this incarnation of Countdown versus the easy game we had the prior few months with a 15000 (usually several) in each game. So, if you had to pick between what we've been seeing in the past few weeks versus what we had the few months before, which would you choose?

First, to answer MEGUMI's question, the latter.

Having said that, there are times when I wonder if there have been more than a few whines from those oh so crazy sexy cool wannabes that NTN Buzztime seems so hell bent on trying to play these games. First, that their mediocre scores around 12-13K were way below the 14-15K needed just to maybe make a top 100 ranking, crying at NTN Buzztime to make the games so that 12-13K "...gives us a chance..." to make top 100. I'd be willing to venture that these wannabees are now having trouble making 10-11K, so they still "...have no chance..." :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

A few weeks ago, I finished #1 on back to back Sundays with 12K scores. Tough games, but not due to entertainment qs.

Yesterday. I was texting with steve/LUREED about the number of entertainment qs. On back-to-back games afer 4:00, there were 10 or MORE qs on entertainment.

By 7:00, I was taking "Talk like a Pirate" Day to an all new level. I would have welcomed a car q at that point...EGADS!!!

If the BT plan to totally piss off long time players, they have FINALLY come up with stratagies that are working.

It's pne thing if they want to throw money at the T-shirt goofs; it's another to split the country & keep putting up shoddy content.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:03 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

poman wrote:

We've been playing the Late Shift game for awhile now, and it has definitely gotten harder this past month. I'd say the percentage of entertainment questions is well under 30%, and a lot of the questions are tricky as well. We had grand illusions of catching the top 2 sites, but it's very tough to get 10Ks now. Not complaining, it's probably the way it should be..

Typical question: Which acclaimed writer previously worked at the Kansas City star? answer: Hemingway. Looked it up and he worked there a couple of months. Now that's trivia :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yesterday during the 5 PST CD game there were 8 music questions. If wanted to play Playback I would go out Saturdays. On the flipside, in the past 3 weeks I have seen ONE sports question, no sports premium games, no sports questions in countdown why bother.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
Yesterday during the 5 PST CD game there were 8 music questions. If wanted to play Playback I would go out Saturdays. On the flipside, in the past 3 weeks I have seen ONE sports question, no sports premium games, no sports questions in countdown why bother.

If I wanted to see sports questions, I would have played more Sports IQ when I still had the chance. :|

I think it's okay for Countdown to be a little harder, but I don't want to see an excesssive number of entertainment or sports questions. Regardless of difficulty, I for one would rather see science, history, or geography questions than movie or modern music questions. (I realize that other people have different prefernces, and I can respect that.) Prior to about a month ago, I generally liked the type of Countdown questions being asked, but there were just too many repeat questions, hence all the high scores.

As for Late Shit :mrgreen: I got a little turned off at that game when it seemed that about eight of every ten questions asked were about some movie or some music group. If clark is correct about there only being < 30% entertainment, maybe I should go back to playing it more.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
lewser wrote:

If I wanted to see sports questions, I would have played more Sports IQ when I still had the chance. :|

I think it's okay for Countdown to be a little harder, but I don't want to see an excesssive number of entertainment or sports questions. Regardless of difficulty, I for one would rather see science, history, or geography questions than movie or modern music questions. (I realize that other people have different prefernces, and I can respect that.) Prior to about a month ago, I generally liked the type of Countdown questions being asked, but there were just too many repeat questions, hence all the high scores.

As for Late Shit :mrgreen: I got a little turned off at that game when it seemed that about eight of every ten questions asked were about some movie or some music group. If clark is correct about there only being < 30% entertainment, maybe I should go back to playing it more.

-- RWM
Excessive sports questions have never been a problem for Countdown. Rather, given sports' enormous contribution to trivia, it can be far more easily argued that sports have been grotesquely underrepresented in Countdown. A fair representation would probably be an average of slightly more than one question per game, while the reality is that unless you play a sports theme game or Six, you are more likely than not to not see a single sports question than your entire evening.

If you don't believe that, look at Buzztime's rarest badges. All of the sports badges will be way down there with the religious-themed ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
Excessive sports questions have never been a problem for Countdown. Rather, given sports' enormous contribution to trivia, it can be far more easily argued that sports have been grotesquely underrepresented in Countdown. A fair representation would probably be an average of slightly more than one question per game, while the reality is that unless you play a sports theme game or Six, you are more likely than not to not see a single sports question than your entire evening.

If you don't believe that, look at Buzztime's rarest badges. All of the sports badges will be way down there with the religious-themed ones.

Oh, I believe it. :) One of my rarest badges is the "Attacker" (soccer) badge, for instance. But for every one question asked about soccer, I am asked 20 questions about sports that I couldn't care less about. So, if I am never asked a sports question while playing Countdown or Late Shift, I wouldn't even notice, let alone miss the sports questions that much.

But if BT decided to average one sports question per game on Countdown, possibly by removing one obscure movie or music question in the process, that would be okay too. :) As long as that sports question is not about SEC football! :evil:

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Oh, I believe it. :) One of my rarest badges is the "Attacker" (soccer) badge, for instance. But for every one question asked about soccer, I am asked 20 questions about sports that I couldn't care less about. -- RWM

I've gotten sixty sports badges without a single soccer question.
Well, technically, I've had two soccer questions but they were awarded different badges for some unknown reason.
I can only dream of this fantastic world you envision where the attacker badges fall like manna from the sky in such abundance... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Oh, I believe it. :) One of my rarest badges is the "Attacker" (soccer) badge, for instance. But for every one question asked about soccer, I am asked 20 questions about sports that I couldn't care less about. So, if I am never asked a sports question while playing Countdown or Late Shift, I wouldn't even notice, let alone miss the sports questions that much.
-- RWM

Of course you wouldn't notice they haven't asked 20 sports questions total in CD in the past 6 months. ;-)

I didn't think I would see the day that no SPorts Trivia games existed on the Buzztime Network and it is now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
zog741 wrote:
Oh, I believe it. :) One of my rarest badges is the "Attacker" (soccer) badge, for instance. But for every one question asked about soccer, I am asked 20 questions about sports that I couldn't care less about. -- RWM

I've gotten sixty sports badges without a single soccer question.
Well, technically, I've had two soccer questions but they were awarded different badges for some unknown reason.
I can only dream of this fantastic world you envision where the attacker badges fall like manna from the sky in such abundance... :mrgreen:

Well, during the Badge Hunter game, I had six of the Attacker badges, even though I missed a couple of games, and had one Attacker question come right after a break where I wasn't paying attention, one that should have been an easy 1000 points. Never received that badge from playing any other game though.

But, no, the fantastic world I envision is fifteen obscure geography or astronomy questions that somehow only I know the answer to. :mrgreen: Not holding my breath for that one. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
zog741 wrote:
-- RWM

Of course you wouldn't notice they haven't asked 20 sports questions total in CD in the past 6 months. ;-)

I didn't think I would see the day that no SPorts Trivia games existed on the Buzztime Network and it is now.

Even though I probably won't care most of the time, Buzztime should bring back a real sports game, such as Sports IQ. It should be on either Sunday or Monday. I've seen the Pulse without playing it, and I thought it was stupid, and having a game on Thursday with Saturday in the title devoted to SEC football is, in my opinion, really stupid!! But I agree with you that some sports game should be brought back.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm 
Himself Fodder

So, who all is planning on playing another great game of SIQ tonight? So nice to have something to look forward to every Monday evening.

Wait, what? There's no sports game tonight? Well, guess I'll find something else to do with my time. Sadly it won't include patronizing my local trivia establishment, less money in their pockets. Less reason to subscribe to BT.

I guess I could use the time to watch some obscure movie like Top Gun or Ocean's Eleven. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm down to just Wednesday afternoon/evening.
After the sci-files tourney, I won't even be down to that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Im holding firm on my boycott of "No PULSE Detected" for the third straight week and for the foreseeable future. If there were a game of Sports IQ to play I would be there with bells on ready and willing to spend some money at a local trivia establishment. As it is I will continue to stay home Monday nights and mourn the loss of both STC and SIQ in favor of this new crap game passing itself off as sports trivia.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've never been a fan of current events in trivia games.
Knowing current events isn't called trivia; it's called paying attention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:09 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

lewser wrote:

I'd like to second this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next