New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rockin' Crepes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I noticed a while back that a lot of folks in the PST zone were putting their accounts into Rockin' Crepes. I assume this was a concerted effort to get the top bar ranking.
I see you guys are at 1122 golds. Well done.
To think... you're only 366 golds away from the highest total that it took me and a whopping three buddies to achieve... :mrgreen:
Just kidding, Gambit. I know you're sensitive.

Is this another experiment like the DannyK winning 100 premium games deal from 2010?
What are you kids up to?

Post subject: Re: Rockin' Crepes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. One of the biggest moves was convincing a lil old grumpy bastard to end his free agency. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. One of the biggest moves was convincing a lil old grumpy bastard to end his free agency. Image

First you and now George Clooney.
Quitters...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

What else do we have to do out West? We got shit for competition and the dipshits at Buzztime won't end the split even though everyone can clearly see, even by their own admission, it was a mistake. They should just go belly up and save the rest of us anymore frustration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
What else do we have to do out West? We got shit for competition and the dipshits at Buzztime won't end the split even though everyone can clearly see, even by their own admission, it was a mistake. They should just go belly up and save the rest of us anymore frustration.

Uniting to fight the powers that be who have split the country asunder...

It's amazing how similar that looks to a bunch of trivia goobers just mucking about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
I noticed a while back that a lot of folks in the PST zone were putting their accounts into Rockin' Crepes. I assume this was a concerted effort to get the top bar ranking.
I see you guys are at 1122 golds. Well done.
To think... you're only 366 golds away from the highest total that it took me and a whopping three buddies to achieve... :mrgreen:

Kudos to both Rockin' Crepes and 86th Street for the amazing amount of Golds they have amassed during a six month period.

I just wish that the rankings weren't tilted so heavily towards Lunchtime games. If you're going to rank bars by medals, Countdown games ought to be worth twice as much. All the top ranked locations have very heavy Lunchtime volume when it's much easier to get multiple perfects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 am 
Lotsa Posta

There would be a lot more gold medals in the west if the games would qualify. Most Countdown games starting after 8:30 and The Late Sfift after 10:30 don't qualify. Saturdays and Sundays are even worse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
There would be a lot more gold medals in the west if the games would qualify. Most Countdown games starting after 8:30 and The Late Sfift after 10:30 don't qualify. Saturdays and Sundays are even worse.

They lowered the player requirement per game to 300 and you're still having trouble getting enough people to qualify for medals? That can't be a good sign.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 am 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

They lowered the player requirement per game to 300 and you're still having trouble getting enough people to qualify for medals? That can't be a good sign.

Sometimes, we're lucky to get half of that number of players. I posted to that problem on BT's FB page and got a reply that they are looking into it and should get back within a day. I think that you know the result. Yes, I'm still waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:04 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

From my own history, player counts at Triviapalooza or BWW Kent:
769 to 3653 for Countdown (Thurs. July 17, 2:00 PM ET)
3744 for Showdown (July 15)
2962 for SIX (July 17)
2021 & 3157 for Topix (July 17 & 18)
3573 for Spotlight (July 18)
2949 for Playback (July 19)

Player counts since returning home (I haven't played any afternoon CD games):
300 to 825 for Countdown
828 & 903 for Showdown
547 to 801 for SIX
454 to 763 for Topix
758 & 815 for Spotlight
561 for Playback (July 5 - haven't played it since)

So, judging from a miniscule sample size, the West side gets around 21-25% of the people as the East. But what's really troubling is premium games that used to attract over 10,000 players now draw maybe 5,000 across both feeds. That July 15 Showdown, for instance, had 1004+3744=4748 players. Yerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
Gettysburg

Gogetem wrote:

So true. Look at AIA west on saturday in the HOF and you will see only 334 players. Prime time premium game barely qualifies if you get a perfecto. Some of this is due to new tablets not playing that game but I assume its the same ratio for the east and they went 1154.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have a question for pacific zone players, IF, and it's a big IF, BT we're to consider going back to one feed would playing the prime game of the night at 5pm be ok or would it have to return to 6 pm?

Would the possibility of playing together be enough to overcome the early start of prime games? Or would the east have to go back to 9pm starts to include pacific players?

Just wondering which is more important? Playing as one feed or the start time of the prime game?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

5 wouldn't work, topix or whatever at 4:30 would suck and why even have premium games at all then. We had 6pm before and it worked for the most part. I think they have screwed the pooch so bad that they can't reverse the trend. Even if they fix the split the are going nowhere but down. They purposely ran off loyal folks to chase a demographic that everyone told them would never show up, and they didn't. I wish nothing but bad things to the policy makers that screwed this great company up so bad that they can't recover. Constantly seeing time zone cheats every day has turned off a boatload of people, yet they stick their heads up their asses and do very little to fix it. Is there a single person who thinks these decisions have been positive? Even talking to Buzztime employees, they admit the split was a major mistake, but don't know how to reverse course to save face. They would rather slowly die than admit it and fix it. Too chicken shit to fix a mistake, seriously? Down over 40% in a couple of years, how's that working out for you? Nitwits!!!

If we can't make it in time for tge Premium Game, who gives a shit if it is even there? If I get off work (snicker) and can't play anything but Trendalicious and CD I will just go home. Not worth my time for a game that I can play anytime anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Ending the split would help, but in no way would it fix Buzztime. Buzztime isn't attracting new regular players. Demographically targeted questions and some of the game changes they have made haven't done the trick and have adversely alienated existing players. BWW 's dominating presence has caused some of the independents to drop Buzztime.

I've had a lot of the target generation ask me about playing trivia over the years. They always ask what do I win. When I say it's for personal satisfaction and enjoyment although BT does send out random prizes, they always ask why I keep playing if I don't win anything. The target generation relates more to live trivia where there is a voucher or round of beers up for grabs each round.

Years ago a number of bars gave a free drink to anyone listed in the top 10 or 20 in certain games and the same to all players when the bar got a national ranking for certain games. A number of local bars also had contest nights where game winners got to choose prizes supplied by the local beer distributors. Sadly I haven't seen this in quite a while.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:54 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

BUD wrote:
I have a question for pacific zone players, IF, and it's a big IF, BT we're to consider going back to one feed would playing the prime game of the night at 5pm be ok or would it have to return to 6 pm?

Would the possibility of playing together be enough to overcome the early start of prime games? Or would the east have to go back to 9pm starts to include pacific players?

Just wondering which is more important? Playing as one feed or the start time of the prime game?

5 is too early for most people that work. 6 would work much better. On team play nights (Thursday) I usually get to the location between 5:30 & 6 anyway. We usually run 8-14 players on our team, and all but 2 of them could make it by 6. Out of all of our usual players, all but 1 is over age 45. We have one team member that is 17. That being said, the new "demographic" is outnumbered 13 to 1 in this case. And I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case across the board.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jim is right, they are in a Death Spiral. Live trivia is more rewarding anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:38 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

lewser wrote:
Jim is right, they are in a Death Spiral. Live trivia is more rewarding anyway.

There was a time when I would have been extremely upset to think that NTN/BT would go away. COOGS and I used to play every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and the occasional Thursday and QB1. Now, although we have a great location with wonderful service and boxes that work, we're down to just Tuesday and Wednesday, and very, very occasionally Saturday. (QB1 now being reserved for the Super Bowl, as no location near us has it as the default.) Instead on a lot of Thursdays and some Fridays, we play live trivia, on Thursdays with someone who used to be a regular NTN/BT player, but now no longer finds it interesting as compared to live. I would still miss Showdown and of course Sci-Files, but I agree with our friend WIDGET that live trivia is much more challenging (and thus enjoyable) than the average Countdown game (and so much better than Late Shift). And yes, the free drinks and gift certificates (and cash when we come in first) are nice incentives.

I also note that what used to be the Mezzanine team now not only plays live trivia instead of Showdown on Tuesdays, but most Wednesdays has even abandoned SIX for live trivia.

So, Buzzies--you had a lot of dedicated players in Houston, but now not so much. And no, the answer is not the BT version of live trivia, which still involves endless multiple choice questions, when the challenge of the live trivia we play is generating answers to often complex and thought-provoking questions, and having the time to discuss them with teammates.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:

While we at Stewart's still hate the split and told the dumbfucks at BT in no uncertain terms what a devastatingly poor decision it would be, moving the premiums back to 9:00 would likely result in much less play for us now. (Mind you, play is down significantly on most of those games due largely to other BT dumbfuckery.) Wednesday is our team night. Before the split, people would roll in to play around 8:00 and hang at least until the end of SIX, at 10:00, sometimes playing until 10:30 or 11:00. Since the split, they roll in around 7:30, or sometimes 8:00. Most play SIX and leave. About half of us play PT and Lex on the boxes our teammates have abandoned, and we play through the 9:30 CD or later maybe once in every three weeks. We've become accustomed, and if SIX were moved to 9:00 now, I bet we'd lose at least a third of our regular and semi-regular team members.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

In response to BUD's question, my once-a-week team (Wednesday or Thursday, occasionally Tuesday) plays from around 7 to around 11, so whether the premium game is at 8 or at 9 is a moot point. I think that BT needs to get rid of the split, but it will probably take more than that to revive their company.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks for the reply from both east and west. I'm still wanting to hear some more from the west players. Bobby GOGETM?, SoCal Rhyno?, ILLJOL? Any others in the pacific zone? Is 6pm absolutely necessary or will 5pm work, with some hassle, for premium starts?

In the east, I'm with Zog, most places won't mind much going back to 9pm for the premiums, except for Stewarts.

I do think BT is actually considering what to do about the split. If we could have an idea of which single feed start time is better we could push for that time.

Keep the thoughts coming.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Given that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the pre-FSPLIT starting time of 6 PM Pacific (save, of course, for a few ohsocrazysexycool fucks who wanted the FSPLIT for their own fucking convenience :evil:), that would be the preference of this lil old grumpy bastard.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

5 pm isn't 'some hassle' it is worthless. Who cares if the split is gone if our premiums start while we get to leave work? I am just relegated to the fact that Buzztime is essentially dead to me..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:

In the east, I'm with Zog, most places won't mind much going back to 9pm for the premiums, except for Stewarts.

I'm not saying were "against" it so much as we'd probably lose some players. A subtle difference, to be sure. The bigger problem is, as Zog also said, it won't do much to save the company. Even if they repair the split, it's jut like every other dumbfuck idea they've tried:

A. They ask about an idea
B. The hardcore players tell them that it's stupid and why
C. They do it anyway
D. It fails miserably
E. People stop playing
F. BT changes back. (This step is, of course, optional.)

The problem is that if and when BT actually gets to step F, the people from step E have already found something to do that night

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

BUD wrote:
Thanks for the reply from both east and west. I'm still wanting to hear some more from the west players. Bobby GOGETM?, SoCal Rhyno?, ILLJOL? Any others in the pacific zone? Is 6pm absolutely necessary or will 5pm work, with some hassle, for premium starts?

I do think BT is actually considering what to do about the split. If we could have an idea of which single feed start time is better we could push for that time.

Keep the thoughts coming.

The Mountain time zone has nothing to lose. National competition comes back, and likely the games will move one hour earlier for us. It'll be nice for the Rembrandt's Remnants to once again know who we lost to, without the overnight wait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
I'm not saying were "against" it so much as we'd probably lose some players. A subtle difference, to be sure.

I think the same is probably true for my group. We usually get a considerable exodus at 9 pm on Tuesdays, and end up playing BrainBuster with about 1/2 to 2/3 of our usual Showdown group. I suspect that if Showdown moved to 9 pm, playership would probably go down some on Tuesdays (except probably for tournaments). It would probably go down less if if it was at 8:30 (which it actually was once upon a time).

That being said, I would support ending the split, even if it means fewer players on most Tuesdays. That being said, I would favor an 8:30 over a 9:00 game if I had my druthers.