New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Academy of Football
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yep, greatly enjoyed and appreciated the one about The Northwestern Wildcats defeating that eternally damnable junior university. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:17 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

This game is horseshit! If I'd known it was on today, I would have forgotten about Buffalo Wild Wings. And does it alternate with Countdown? The schedule doesn't say.

Just another dumb Buzztime idea, poorly executed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yes it's on every other game until Playback. Saturday is overkill, during the week 1 hour long game is fine.

Our BWW is undefeated on Thursday. No one has come close, I think we won by 6k this week.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

ranger wrote:
This game is horseshit! If I'd known it was on today, I would have forgotten about Buffalo Wild Wings. And does it alternate with Countdown? The schedule doesn't say.

Just another dumb Buzztime idea, poorly executed.

Why is it horseshit? You play sports trivia games all the time, why wouldn't you want to play this?

If they offered you 5k P+ points for playing it you'd play each and every game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. To answer the scheduling question, Academy of Football 30 runs every hour on the hour until Playback. The other half hour is taken up by either two Lunchtime Trivia games or one Countdown.

I suppose there are those players not very interested in college football that would call Academy of Football horseshit. :roll: Aside from one question today that had *three* correct answers :( , these games have been well written, especially since FCS teams are included. The unfortunate omissions are in college football history (e.g., the college(s) that a famous NFL player attended), which IMO would have made these games way more than a lil better.

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have suffered through the "Academy of Football" more times than I care to remember. It's an idiotic game. As I understand it, it is only at Buffalo Wild Wings, where you are forced to endure the agony of playing this stupid game, while players at other bars get regular Buzztime games.

Who knows or cares what color Lehigh University's football helmets are, what the final score between Temple and Central Florida was last week, what is Eastern Michigan's mascot called, what is the name of the field where Colgate University plays its home games, ad nauseam...?

I have to think that "Academy of Football" is an ill conceived game dreamt up between a couple Buzztime and Buffalo Wild Wings college football freaks, who don't have a life, but who think that everyone else is just as interested in the same obscure college football arcane trivialities as they are.

Boy, are they wrong. Everyone I play trivia with hates this game, including those who are pretty good on sports questions.

I keep hoping that it will go away, but if it doesn't, I'm going to stop playing trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings, and find another bar that doesn't torture me with the "Academy of Football" trivia game...!

p.s. How would anyone like to have to play a game called "Oprah Winfrey's Book Club" repeatedly on Buzztime? I'm sure that there were those, who loved it and wished it would come back again, but because it was a "TOPIX" game, I only had to suffer through it once, and it's gone, thank God.

(Now let's see how much trouble this gets me into with the college football freaks, who love "Academy of Football".) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

As for now, my site still has the old blue boxes, so I can program out however many AoF games I want on Saturdays. The LT games are more my pace in the mornings and I only get to play them on non-fishing weekends, so I abort AoF until after 2:00 and then go from there.

The only other regular trivia player at my site asked me to cancel it out this Saturday to try to get some local board scores for CD, but he lost every game to me despite a less than stellar performance on my part.

Fishing this weekend, so he'll have to deal with it, I guess.

The game itself is ok, but I just don't follow college football as closely as I did in the past. This is the type of sports game I would have loved in high school...if they would have televised 80 some games a week!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:21 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
I have suffered through the "Academy of Football" more times than I care to remember. It's an idiotic game. As I understand it, it is only at Buffalo Wild Wings, where you are forced to endure the agony of playing this stupid game, while players at other bars get regular Buzztime games.

Who knows or cares what color Lehigh University's football helmets are, what the final score between Temple and Central Florida was last week, what is Eastern Michigan's mascot called, what is the name of the field where Colgate University plays its home games, ad nauseam...?

I have to think that "Academy of Football" is an ill conceived game dreamt up between a couple Buzztime and Buffalo Wild Wings college football freaks, who don't have a life, but who think that everyone else is just as interested in the same obscure college football arcane trivialities as they are.

Boy, are they wrong. Everyone I play trivia with hates this game, including those who are pretty good on sports questions.

I keep hoping that it will go away, but if it doesn't, I'm going to stop playing trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings, and find another bar that doesn't torture me with the "Academy of Football" trivia game...!

p.s. How would anyone like to have to play a game called "Oprah Winfrey's Book Club" repeatedly on Buzztime? I'm sure that there were those, who loved it and wished it would come back again, but because it was a "TOPIX" game, I only had to suffer through it once, and it's gone, thank God.

(Now let's see how much trouble this gets me into with the college football freaks, who love "Academy of Football".) :lol:

Actually Cloudy, the Saturday we played this together I really enjoyed it. But I don't normally play the days /nights it is on.

I enjoy the game a lot itself, but of course see the problem with the scheduling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Looks like we're in the last month of Academy of Football, unless they'll also appear the first week or so of January.

One major grief this lil old grumpy bastard has is with the separation of those games designated as BWW Coors Lite games into their own game averages. :roll: The assumption is that the same will happen with the Dr. Pepper games. :(

Also (and, almost certainly to the overwhelming delight of CLOUDY :lol:), these past few weeks have seen Divisions II & III added to the question mix. However, I (and likely others) remain more than a lil disappointed that historical questions weren't part of this game. :cry: It would have great to have seen a question on The Play. :D

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Looks like we're in the last month of Academy of Football, unless they'll also appear the first week or so of January.

One major grief this lil old grumpy bastard has is with the separation of those games designated as BWW Coors Lite games into their own game averages. :roll: The assumption is that the same will happen with the Dr. Pepper games. :(

Also (and, almost certainly to the overwhelming delight of CLOUDY :lol:), these past few weeks have seen Divisions II & III added to the question mix. However, I (and likely others) remain more than a lil disappointed that historical questions weren't part of this game. :cry: It would have great to have seen a question on The Play. :D

I always think Historical questions would be great, unless they were before my time :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 pm 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
I always think Historical questions would be great, unless they were before my time :)

As far as football goes, I didn't think any of it happened before your time. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, what is widely regarded as one of the greatest upsets of all time when Centre College of Danville KY beat Harvard 6-0 in 1921 was just a mite before my time.

I would get a trivia question correct on that, or Georgia Tech's 222 points against Cumberland in 1916, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Per the schedule that showed at BWW Mission Valley as I broke their doors down :lol:, Countdown games are/were at 9:30 & 10:30, Lunchtime 11 - 2, Academy of Football 2 - 6, Countdown 6 - 10 (Pacific Time, of course). :roll:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Per the schedule that showed at BWW Mission Valley as I broke their doors down :lol:, Countdown games are/were at 9:30 & 10:30, Lunchtime 11 - 2, Academy of Football 2 - 6, Countdown 6 - 10 (Pacific Time, of course). :roll:

So no playback tonight and it's showing academy games are 1 hour instead of 30 mins? 4 hour long games in a row with no CD in between? People will go crazy. :mrgreen:

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Actually 8 half-hours. Not that that really matters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:54 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

What incredibly stupid scheduling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

EGADS!!!

So much for Saturday trivia at a BWW!

5-6 hours straight of AoF and no way to program it out. Now that I'm down to playing weekends, I was more than pissed off about the schedule. I realize I should have checked the schedule, but I made do w/ the every other game format that the Coors AoF offered...just go smoke or get a beer next door.

With my buddy, DAWG, regressing in his brain tumor treatment, I don't feel the urge to drive to a non-BWW fro my trivia fix lately.

So F-AoF!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:39 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Typical of Buzztime. They develop a game which appeals to some players. Then they alienate the rest of their players. Trendalicious was a classic example.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:
Typical of Buzztime. They develop a game which appeals to some players. Then they alienate the rest of their players. Trendalicious was a classic example.

I watched a guy with the last weeks scores and this past weeks games, along w/stadium names and mascots, along w/bowl teams and stadiums and sponsors typed on two sheets of paper playing the AofF game on Saturday.

Left.

It was nicely formatted, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
I watched a guy with the last weeks scores and this past weeks games, along w/stadium names and mascots, along w/bowl teams and stadiums and sponsors typed on two sheets of paper playing the AofF game on Saturday.

Left.

Well, hell. Bet all of that did that sorry schmuck a whole lot of good. :roll: :lol:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 am 
Lord of Scaratings

NO REFERENCE MATERIALS ALLOWED !

Well, I guess someone would have to care though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
ranger wrote:

Left.

Ahhh....
the supreme challenge of remembering stuff for a whole week rears its ugly head once again.
I'll never figure out how these new BT sports players keep their wits about them through
the literally dozens of possible questions they could ask on a weekly basis...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Now that most (if not all) of the dust has settled, maybe it's time to offer up some suggestions for Academy of Football 2016 - assuming, of course that these games will come back in a few months. Admittedly these suggestions are made with more than a lil bias, especially since this lil old grumpy bastard is a lifelong college football fan, and was also one of the random prize winners. :)

1. All games should be half hour. The hour long games were more than a lil bit much, especially on Mondays when it resulted in two straight hours of sports.
2. Regardless of sponsor, all games should accumulate in players' game histories as Academy of Football (assuming that there will be different sponsors for each month as there was the past year).
3. Academy of Football should not preempt any premium games. There was way, way more than a lil outrage both here and on the Buzztime Facebook page when Playback and Topix were preempted. :(
4. Academy of Football should be programmed for at most every other half hour. Those several hour blocks during one month were way more than a lil too much. :cry:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:06 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Now that most (if not all) of the dust has settled, maybe it's time to offer up some suggestions for Academy of Football 2016 - assuming, of course that these games will come back in a few months. Admittedly these suggestions are made with more than a lil bias, especially since this lil old grumpy bastard is a lifelong college football fan, and was also one of the random prize winners. :)

Academy of Football broke my habit of playing all day Saturday and because of that I quit playing on Sundays. Also because I like Topix I haven't played at a BWW in over three months. I don't care what song the Rice band plays after touchdowns or the colors of an obscure team. So I don't care what Buzztime does because I've found other things to do and they don't seem the have the stroke to bring me back.

On the other hand I'm happy Buzztime can point to the success of attracting a lot of school children long enough to register and press one button before becoming bored and going back to their iphone or tablet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 am 
Nonagenarian

liljol wrote:

1. All games should be half hour. The hour long games were more than a lil bit much, especially on Mondays when it resulted in two straight hours of sports.
2. Regardless of sponsor, all games should accumulate in players' game histories as Academy of Football (assuming that there will be different sponsors for each month as there was the past year).
3. Academy of Football should not preempt any premium games. There was way, way more than a lil outrage both here and on the Buzztime Facebook page when Playback and Topix were preempted. :(
4. Academy of Football should be programmed for at most every other half hour. Those several hour blocks during one month were way more than a lil too much. :cry:

As a fellow random prize winner and college football fan, I agree with all of this...I think Saturdays are still a bit much and would tone it down even more than every half hour. Also, I know several people who were upset because they could not log-in if the game had already started in any way so were left out even if they wanted to play.