New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More Trivia for the "kids"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Movie Night Trivia and Pop Culture Trivia are coming on Saturday night (although the email didn't say what time on Saturday). One deals with "current and upcoming films and their celebrities" and the other deals with "the juiciest trivia about celebrities, gossip and entertainment, fresh squeezed from this week’s headlines."

I guess I better read up on the Kardashians.

Post subject: Re: More Trivia for the "kids"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

And they're both 15 minute games. Trivia vets prefer the half hour games, but the kids only have the attention spans of 15 minutes, if that...

Maybe they'll just be during Late Shift :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:26 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

poman wrote:
And they're both 15 minute games. Trivia vets prefer the half hour games, but the kids only have the attention spans of 15 minutes, if that...

Maybe they'll just be during Late Shift :?
And they rip us off one question per half hour.

I guess the epsilons who gave us FBlur have all been replaced by new ones who have to learn the same lessons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. One could conclude that the Saturday showings of these Lunchtime fish out of time will likely be the half hour leading into Playback. :roll: This lil old grump must seriously question why these games are also being shown on Sunday, until now a day unsullied by narrowly focused crap. :evil: As usual, this question will be met with deafening silence. :evil:

Why a company with employees that rarely (if ever) play their games continues to make inexplicable changes without (apparently) trying to ask a reasonable cross section of its players about them is beyond this lil old grump. :( Hopefully others here and elsewhere that have hung in with this company (mostly for worse instead of better) will take a lil time to express themselves. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Buzztime has just never been able to sustain games that rely on newly written questions for current events. Games that had current events questions were: Abused News (daily, before switching to weekly), Sports Trivia (one round), Sports IQ (one round), Classic Playback (one round), Classic Spotlight (tabloid round)... and all these games went by the wayside or got revamped, in part, seemingly, because of the pressure to write new current events questions on a daily / weekly basis.

Ok, so the weekly Sports game now is all current events stuff and has lasted for how many years now.

But once the fatigue of the mandatory weekly writing of new current events questions kicks in (not to mention player fatigue), then these games will likely suffer the same fate too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. From what this lil old grump remembers seeing on the monitor at BWW Mission Valley this morning, Movie Night Trivia & Pop Culture Trivia will begin alternating at 6:30 Pacific and end at 10. :evil:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Huge, utter, Failure. Saturday is now ruined. At BWW Gaithersburg the new games started at 530. After 2 games of each they all repeated at 630 then again at 730.
Playback was on at 830 followed by CD games.

Not sure if this new game mess was at all bars or just tablet bars. The blue box bars may have got lucky.

We can expect player numbers to drop precipitously on Saturdays.

Nicely done BT.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

^Just the tablet bars. But since most locations are BWWs, Countdown scores really took a beating once the switchover occurred.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. What BUD & POMAN said explains why what rankings showed for the 6:30 & 6:45 games at BWW Mission Valley were only for the Pacific + Arizona time zone. :roll:

Those games will likely be this lil old grump's first and last. :twisted: Some additional observations:

Clues for both games were similar to those in the Get A Clue round of Spotlight. However, more often than not they proved to be more like BrainBuster clues. :(

The factoids were more lame ass tries to be funny, and failing miserably. :evil:

The leaderboard for Movie Night Trivia showed a couple of scores in the low 10k's. :? The leaderboard for Pop Culture Trivia was devirginized by this lil old grump's lame ass score just a lil short of 4k. :lol:

EDIT - After further review, another major negative to these "games" is the resulting reduction in network wide games. :evil:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Given the last minute announcement of these games (other than hinting "something's in the works" from weeks/months ago) and the lack of mentioning what time the games were actually going to air... it makes one wonder if this is something BWW demanded, and if buzztime's response was "we know this isn't a good idea, and it's not going to go over well with the players, but what BWW wants, BWW gets.. "

But if its an idea buzztime implemented on its own, after making progress in the right direction these past couple years, then that's disappointing

On a side note, I did see a couple of east time zone BWWs in the Countdown rankings in the 10pm hour. Did the new games not air in the 10pm - 11pm hour block in the East/Central time zone?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. If today's schedule at BWW Mission Valley is correct, NO movie night or pop culture trivia will be on. :)

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Given the last minute announcement of these games (other than hinting "something's in the works" from weeks/months ago) and the lack of mentioning what time the games were actually going to air... it makes one wonder if this is something BWW demanded, and if buzztime's response was "we know this isn't a good idea, and it's not going to go over well with the players, but what BWW wants, BWW gets.. "

But if its an idea buzztime implemented on its own, after making progress in the right direction these past couple years, then that's disappointing

On a side note, I did see a couple of east time zone BWWs in the Countdown rankings in the 10pm hour. Did the new games not air in the 10pm - 11pm hour block in the East/Central time zone?

The new games ended at 830 eastern time followed by playback and countdowns.

So there was a total of 4 new games in the 1st 530 hour followed by 8 repeats of those 4 games. That's 3 hours with 4 fresh games. I'll be waiting till 830 to show up at BWW. Hope someone can explain this bullshit to BT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

You guys keep moaning about the effect these new games will have on the current players. Don't you understand that's just the point? Buzztime (and BWW) wants to attract new players who aren't collecting Social Security. I have been astonished that they have sat idly by while the number of players who play the current games has steadily decreased. This can't go on forever. I too love the more difficult and obscure trivia of Showdown, Six, and so forth. But if you've ever sat through a live bar trivia game (unhappily, I'm forced to every Tuesday at Mad River, while our table tries to play Buzztime at the same time), then you know they're not asking about Astronomy, Ancient Greece, or Grand Opera. Be thankful for what you've got, and pray that the new games attract an audience so that BWW doesn't give up on Buzztime altogether.
XT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:13 am 
Lotsa Posta

xtrain wrote:
You guys keep moaning about the effect these new games will have on the current players. Don't you understand that's just the point? Buzztime (and BWW) wants to attract new players who aren't collecting Social Security. I have been astonished that they have sat idly by while the number of players who play the current games has steadily decreased. This can't go on forever. I too love the more difficult and obscure trivia of Showdown, Six, and so forth. But if you've ever sat through a live bar trivia game (unhappily, I'm forced to every Tuesday at Mad River, while our table tries to play Buzztime at the same time), then you know they're not asking about Astronomy, Ancient Greece, or Grand Opera. Be thankful for what you've got, and pray that the new games attract an audience so that BWW doesn't give up on Buzztime altogether.
XT

I agree that attempting to attract younger players is the point. Unfortunately for BT and for us, it hasn't worked and most likely will not. I submit that the steady decrease in players is not because we're dying off, but because BT has been ignoring its actual demographic draw in favor of unsuccessfully courting younger players. It is a point I've mode to them over and over, from the perspective of a bar manager. The twenty-somethings have always and will always be at our bar. They come anyway and we don't need trivia games in BT format aimed at them to get them in. Moreover, those lame games (they think the cutesy jokes are stupid, too) won't keep them there or entice them to spend more money.

The BT demographic is those of us who like solid, well-edited trivia games. We are mostly, but not limited to, those of us born at a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse. The pace of BT suits us. We like to play against the whole country. The only reason we still have BT at Stewart's is that it continues to draw destination players to the bar to play. (Thanks to BT ignoring their core demo, a lot of that may be down to one somewhat charismatic manager fostering play *ahem* but that's not germane to this rant.)

I understand that the biz-school grads that keep trying to re-invent BT see the demographic breakdowns that show twenty-somethings are the customers spending the most at bars. I know that this makes them want to cater to them, but they are missing the point. They are the only company in existence providing the nationwide trivia that they do. Plenty of other companies out there cater to the younger crowds and are better at it and cheaper. We don't need them for that. They will continue to fail at that. They would be much more successful if they concentrated on what they have actually done pretty well in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 am 
Himself Fodder

The younger players that are interested in BT trivia don't want pop slop bubble gum questions. They want solid basic questions covering the entire spectrum, same as the rest of us. Ask yourself this, would the younger players that you know be interested in bubble gum games? The ones I know would not.

BT keeps trying to reinvent the wheel which is unnecessary. What is necessary is helping and teaching bar owners and managers foster play in their establishments. That hasn't been done since the glory days of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:
The younger players that are interested in BT trivia don't want pop slop bubble gum questions. They want solid basic questions covering the entire spectrum, same as the rest of us. Ask yourself this, would the younger players that you know be interested in bubble gum games? The ones I know would not.

BT keeps trying to reinvent the wheel which is unnecessary. What is necessary is helping and teaching bar owners and managers foster play in their establishments. That hasn't been done since the glory days of the game.

Exactly so, BO. And the truly batshit thing is that BT continues to waste time, energy and money trying to do things they think bar owners want, but that already have better suppliers. For example, beepers to tell people when a table is ready for them. They also hired some Irish "bar expert" to write "helpful" articles and tips for bar and restaurant owners and managers, as if we don't have enough resources already. Reading through his articles, I found not one single thing that I hadn't read elsewhere in an existing industry magazine or website or that wasn't blatantly self-evident common sense.

It's like if the Grateful Dead, in the 1980's, saw that boy bands were the biggest draws among younger music fans, so they immediately switched to trite bubblegum pop, choreography and coordinated outfits, then started a helpful newsletter to give concert venues helpful tips, like, "Have you considered a food concession stand? Concertgoers appreciate a little snack between sets!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 pm 
Centenarian

I'd suggest if players are getting tired of changes Buzztime is making to their system and content, then pull your collective money together and start your own national trivia system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Himself Fodder

HoopScoop wrote:
I'd suggest if players are getting tired of changes Buzztime is making to their system and content, then pull your collective money together and start your own national trivia system.

What an imaginative and helpful post, thanks for this valuable input!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Exactly so, BO. And the truly batshit thing is that BT continues to waste time, energy and money trying to do things they think bar owners want, but that already have better suppliers. For example, beepers to tell people when a table is ready for them. They also hired some Irish "bar expert" to write "helpful" articles and tips for bar and restaurant owners and managers, as if we don't have enough resources already. Reading through his articles, I found not one single thing that I hadn't read elsewhere in an existing industry magazine or website or that wasn't blatantly self-evident common sense.

It's like if the Grateful Dead, in the 1980's, saw that boy bands were the biggest draws among younger music fans, so they immediately switched to trite bubblegum pop, choreography and coordinated outfits, then started a helpful newsletter to give concert venues helpful tips, like, "Have you considered a food concession stand? Concertgoers appreciate a little snack between sets!"
While in the real world, deadheads started bringing their kids to shows themselves, and by the 90s, some were bringing their grandkids. Go figure.

The moral of the story: those of you who have reproduced, bring the little ones with you. Immerse them in the culture.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 am 
Centenarian

HoopScoop wrote:

I'm going to go make my own national trivia system with blackjack and hookers! -Bender Bending Rodriguez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank You BT. Big schedule change last night. Countdowns were back on the Sat. Schedule from 530 to 7. Then 1 hr of fresh MN/PC games till 8. Then a CD, then Playback and more CDs.

So, no repeats and only 1 hour of movies and pop. This we can live with.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Hopefully, they got the message. ;)