New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Content quality and quality control
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Seems that a good amount of the discussions in this forum have been about question and factoid content quality and quality control – plenty enough to justify starting a general discussion thread to address broader rather than specific issues (spelling, etc.). Something tells me that more than a few of us have laundry lists of these issues (imagine that). As much as it pains me to say this, there have been far too many times in my twenty plus years of banging away at these games that the content quality and quality control has left far too much to be desired.

I’ll start with a couple – IMO there are far too many questions that include at least one all too obvious throwaway choice that was likely included to get a cheap laugh. I, for one, would like to see these minimized, even though it is recognized that a small percentage could remain for no other reason than a lil variety. Along the same line are questions that ask (as an example) for a European country, only to find the correct answer is the only choice in Europe. Same goes for, say, a Tom Petty hit, with all of the other choices by acts other than him.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Content quality and quality control
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Agree with the joke choices... They need to lose at least 90% of those. Save the humor for the joke post-question blurbs in lighter games like Glory Daze.

As far as the spelling errors, typos and poorly-researched questions go... Well, they happen, but far less often than in many places. For example, in most live-hosted trivia games (which I practically *never* play anymore), gaffes are common.

BT ain't perfect, but other than Jeopardy! and most other TV game shows, it's the best around.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep the Buzzies on their toes from time to time... :)

Post subject: Re: Content quality and quality control
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:30 am 
Lotsa Posta

We've been seeing more and more of this in the afternoon. Try this one on for size:

Q: FERNANDO HENRIQUE CARDOSO WAS PRESIDENT OF WHICH SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY FROM 1995-2002?

I was sitting in a group of 5-6 orphans when this question, or something very similar, came up. None of us ventured a pre-call.

If you were deep enough in South American history to know that Rousseff was preceded by da Silva, and da Silva by Cardoso, well, then, you can confidently pre-call "Brazil."

If you were not so versed, but knew that as a general rule the name Henry is typically Henrique in Portuguese and Enrique in Spanish, you have a plausible conjecture, and might pre-call "Brazil?" (This general rule doesn't prevent anyone named Fujimori from becoming President of Peru, so the general rule needs to be treated with a certain caution.)

If the drop-down box consists of Nicaragua, Guinea, Brazil, Spain and Rhode Island: Nicaragua is not in South, but Central America; Guinea should not be confused with any portion of Guiana; and so the question is resolved without resort to history or lexicography. Would the drop down box have been improved had Spain been dropped in favor of Spanish Guyana, which is a part of Venezuela? Or would such a minor alteration be pointless? How about Suriname? If the drop-down box had consisted of four South American countries and Rhode Island, would answering this question from a four-item drop-down box have significantly cheapened it? (SIX players don't seem much bothered by drop-down boxes shorter than five items.)

Just an example for your critical consideration. I applaud LILJOL for raising the question.