New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Report Tablet Lockup locations here
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 am 
Himself Fodder

ANON wrote:
As a result, we had several people who couldn't play last night.

So you only had 83 players last night? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ANON wrote:
As a result, we had several people who couldn't play last night.

So you only had 83 players last night? :lol:

:lol:

Alas, "only" 26. And the rest of the place was dead. There was no concert across the street and no Cavs game, so I think we literally had more people in our room than in the rest of the restaurant combined--including servers.

The good news is that because of nights like this, the management there has finally realized that we are a net positive to their bottom line, and over the past few months they have become very attentive to us. They have stopped seating random folks in "our" room about an hour before we start assembling (which they used to do regularly--causing headaches both for those unfortunate patrons surrounded by shouting people and for us as well), they put most of the screens on trivia, and turn down the sound system so we can hear each other better. It's only taken four years, but I think we have finally come to a good understanding with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Two time outs today. I arrived when they had rebooted the 5 o'clock Countdown, and could play the final round. Then, we were out from 7:45 - 8:07. It started during the 2nd break of the 7:30 game.

It might just be a coincidence, but the jukebox went eerily silent at just about the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zzuupp wrote:
Two time outs today. I arrived when they had rebooted the 5 o'clock Countdown, and could play the final round. Then, we were out from 7:45 - 8:07. It started during the 2nd break of the 7:30 game.

It might just be a coincidence, but the jukebox went eerily silent at just about the same time.

Well, those jukeboxes are internet dependent for some songs and all programing via phones. Buzztime should be able to run fine with intermittent internet loss. I thought they only needed to connect to send and receive scores, but maybe there is a problem there?

I'd say next time it happens have someone call buzztime customer service while it's out to figure if it's internet related to your bar.

At BWW Gaithersburg we have not had a lockup for weeks. So I don't know how we got past it. We could have had internet trouble for awhile there? I did hear complaints about wifi trouble.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Pineapple Hill had a problem that was ongoing for some time. Every morning, the computer had to be rebooted to connect to Buzztime. I have to be honest in saying that Buzztime did everything possible to alleviate this problem to no avail. They even sent a new computer out. Finally, the site had their internet system fixed and that ended the problem. I did bug them for sometime explaining that it was their network, not a Buzztime issue. After their credit card connections starting failing, they fixed it. Amazing huh? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

An FYI related to this topic: One of the few ways to avoid these lockups ruining your game has been to shift to the Buzztime Mobile Playmaker app on your phone/iPad/etc. As those who have been following this thread and its predecessor know, the latest iOS for iPhone and iPad will no longer run the app, but those using older iOS devices or Android devices could still download and use the app.

This past week, we had many more people than Playmakers available, including some new visitors. Because their phones were not new, I encouraged them to download the app from the App Store before the game.

Fun Fact: It's not there anymore.

We had multiple people check to see if this was a quirk of our own devices or an Apple vs. Android thing, but everyone came up empty. Now looking at the FAQs on the BT site, I have noticed this:

"Q: Can I use my laptop or mobile device as a Playmaker?
A: At this time we do not offer an application for your laptop or mobile device."

The good news is that--at least for now--those that had already downloaded the mobile apps can still use them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Looks like the 4th generation tablets are NOT the answer to this issue. :roll:

Only three days after their installation at BWW Mission Valley, connections were lost twice during Lunchtime Trivia - first after the 1st 4 questions of the 12:15 game, ending after the 1st 4 questions of the 12:30 game, then again after the 1:30 game, ending after the 1st 4 questions of the 1:45 game. Despite some indications that local wi-fi could be to blame, this lil old grump would instead suggest that this is yet another serious Buzztime fuckup that they should own up to and *try* to fix.

Why this issue occurs during network trivia games only is extremely troubling. If only this would occur during that fucking moronic spaceteam game. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well we at BWW Gburg got through another week with no lockups. So I don't know if BT sent some kind of patch or update to the CPU at our BWW or if it was just internet problems that we were having causing the lock ups.

I had always thought the games were not dependent on constant internet connection just the reporting and receiving of scores needing a connection at that time. Maybe that's changed?? Yes, I know the badges and colors are shown through out the CD games but I figured that was on the hard drive.

Hope the Sandbar has been able to contact BT during a lock up to see if they had lost internet connection?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I haven't heard whether the owner has been in contact with Buzzie central.

Since Monday 1/15, we have had a few lockups. However, they are becoming fewer and farther between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:46 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zzuupp wrote:
I haven't heard whether the owner has been in contact with Buzzie central.

Since Monday 1/15, we have had a few lockups. However, they are becoming fewer and farther between.

I hope that I'm not jinxing myself. We have had no new lockups in the past week. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It's back with a vengeance.

I was told that it locked up before I arrived. I don't know the exact times: most likely the 4:30 game, possibly the 4:00.

We were off again from 6:40 - 6:46. Good news: short break.

Brainbuster was pretty much unplayable. Locked out from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second (another short block) & then AGAIN for the entire third round *AND* the the first round of Showdown. Alas, that was twenty minutes ish.

We definitely received a programming update Monday. The spacegame is no longer an option.

The other bad news: Some of us had to trade in boxes after the 6:40 block. They were in a continuous loop of "OK to continue" after the 'Can't connect to buzztime'.

Two steps forward, one step back. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zzuupp wrote:

No problems tonight & since nobody else is reporting anything, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am 

zzuupp wrote:
zzuupp wrote:

No problems tonight & since nobody else is reporting anything, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last week while playing at Wild Bill's in Woodbury MN on the 10th question my tablet froze and would not allow me to even answer the question. At the same location one or more more tablets fail to give points after questions have been answered correctly. If you play two tablets you can see that one tablet routinely lags the other. We have a mixture of 1st generation and new tablets so I'm not sure which generation is giving us the problems or if it is a server problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

JohnL wrote:
zzuupp wrote:
zzuupp wrote:

Last week while playing at Wild Bill's in Woodbury MN on the 10th question my tablet froze and would not allow me to even answer the question. At the same location one or more more tablets fail to give points after questions have been answered correctly. If you play two tablets you can see that one tablet routinely lags the other. We have a mixture of 1st generation and new tablets so I'm not sure which generation is giving us the problems or if it is a server problem.

I don't think there should be a mix of tablets at a bar. I don't believe they are compatible. The gen 1s should have been collected and sent back when the 2nd or 3rd gens showed up. Maybe they were in the back and missed, then put back out. But the chargers are different if I recall?

I'd call buzztime and ask about what you have and if that's causing the problem. Our lock ups seem to have stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:13 am 

Thanks Bud. We did complain to management at Bill's and Buzztime and they did bring bring new chargers, but they did leave older generation tablets and charger. Realistically we probably only need 10 tablets. We rarely have more than five players at one time and I don't see many using the tablets for the non-Buzztime games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

JohnL wrote:
I don't see many using the tablets for the non-Buzztime games.

I was at Wild Bill's Woodbury during Sunday brunch a year ago. All ten tablets were out, and only one of them was being used for Lunchtime trivia. The Lunchtime player was also the only one who had a tablet and was over the age of 14. But those young locusts are probably only a weekend phenomenon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bump for Big Tuna. He had a lock up, hadn't heard of any in several months.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. :roll: This weekend, lockups occurred on supposedly fixed 4th generation tablets at both BWW Sports Arena & Mission Valley in Buzztime's Horribly Site-Poor Backyard. :twisted:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bump for RACKME at a BWW in Concord CA who had a recent "lock up".

Always ask about the internet at your location when this happens and get a Buzztime computer reboot. Don't just sit there waiting for the buzztime fairy to fix it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Okay, so my experience of the game not coming back from the usual commercial break (while continuing to play commercials) is considered a "lock up"?

I figured "lock up" meant that the screens froze altogether. That's the only reason why I started that other thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

No, you are right that wasn't a lock up. I didn't catch the part about only commercials running.

The lock up is when the TVs are running the game with commercials and questions continuing but the tablets are locked up.

I don't know what happened with the game interruption when you were playing but a reboot probably would have fixed it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It happened to us last night at Buffalo Wild Wings-West Mifflin. Right before Playback started, the tablets got stuck on the network rankings screen. The game was running fine on the TV screens, but we couldn't get back into NTN/buzztime on the tablets. But you could get in to Jackpot Trivia, as that was working fine.

After the first round of Playback, we still couldn't get back in.

Then midway through the second round of Playback, we were finally able to get back in to play.

This location had some kind of issue with its hard drive earlier this month because we noticed all of the Recent High Score leaderboards reset a couple weeks ago. This must have been to the disappointment of one of the locals as he always plays on the 1st of the month to try to get the first 15000 Countdown game for the month, which he successfully did this month (on his first try, to boot). However, after the reset, a different player put up a 14961 and said local still hasn't been able to top that since the reset :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

You were so far ahead of the 3rd place team, you could have waited until the 3rd round to start. Must have been a lot of Kanye West experts out there..

We have been so lucky the past few years at Elsas with few network issues and rarely a problem with our good old blue boards. I'm sure our time will come soon..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BWW Gaithersburg has been down since the 10th.

3 weekends and counting playing at BWW Urbana MD and Stained Glass Pub.

Not a BT lockup but still taking longer than expected to get a new computer in there.

Last edited by BUD on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
It happened to us last night at Buffalo Wild Wings-West Mifflin. Right before Playback started, the tablets got stuck on the network rankings screen. The game was running fine on the TV screens, but we couldn't get back into NTN/buzztime on the tablets. But you could get in to Jackpot Trivia, as that was working fine.

After the first round of Playback, we still couldn't get back in.

Then midway through the second round of Playback, we were finally able to get back in to play.

This location had some kind of issue with its hard drive earlier this month because we noticed all of the Recent High Score leaderboards reset a couple weeks ago. This must have been to the disappointment of one of the locals as he always plays on the 1st of the month tuo try to get the first 15000 Countdown game for the month, which he successfully did this month (on his first try, to boot). However, after the reset, a different player put up a 14961 and said local still hasn't been able to top that since the reset :p

Is this problem still happening to anyone else? Happened to us again tonight right before Spotlight started. The game locked up after the end of Topix, and this time it never came back on.

There were 10 different people playing at that point, and after the game locked up, everyone got their tabs & left.