New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: BWW Dumping Buzztime
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Just my two cents worth. The increased difficulty of the Showdown game on Tuesdays, obvious to all who play and evident in the sharply lower scores, can only have the effect of discouraging all but the most skilled players, hence reducing the number of players--also evident in the line telling how many boxes were played. (Don't forget, many players, especially on small teams, multibox.) I can't imagine that a casual player in a BWW would be encouraged to continue playing after confronting a question like "What literary character has a sister named Grete who plays the violin?" which appeared last week. Is there some rationale for the increased question difficulty?
XT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
Just my two cents worth. The increased difficulty of the Showdown game on Tuesdays, obvious to all who play and evident in the sharply lower scores, can only have the effect of discouraging all but the most skilled players, hence reducing the number of players--also evident in the line telling how many boxes were played. (Don't forget, many players, especially on small teams, multibox.) I can't imagine that a casual player in a BWW would be encouraged to continue playing after confronting a question like "What literary character has a sister named Grete who plays the violin?" which appeared last week. Is there some rationale for the increased question difficulty?
XT

I'm guessing their rationale would be something like: "Played in six unique rounds, Showdown® is the ultimate trivia challenge: A 60-minute game that touches on everything from pop culture to science and history to the culinary arts!"
Tough questions certainly contribute to the game being ultimate-trivia-challengy. And I say this a someone from a team that collectively had no idea on the Samsa question.

Whether or not tough Showdown games have contributed to a drop in playership I couldn't say, but according to Don Denton's site, average annual Showdown scores actually took their most dramatic plunge in the years between 2004 and 2012, and have largely plateaued (or even bounced back a bit some years) since then:

2004 49,437
2005 46,753
2006 44,963
2007 42,753
2008 44,381
2009 43,374
2010 43,283
2011 39,981
2012 35,364
2013 35,920
2014 37,238
2015 36,822
2016 36,330
2017 34,520

Any loss of playership subsequent to 2012, then, probably has more to do with factors other than with difficulty of games, which has actually been relatively consistent since then. Whether before or after 2012, though, I can think of several possible contributing factors off the top of my head: the ill-advised broad game changes made in 2008, the institution of the split network in 2012, the declining number of locations carrying Buzztime, and perhaps even the introduction of the new tablets. As mentioned, "playership" has always included multiboxers, and in nearly every location I am acquainted with, when the old blue boxes went out, they were usually replaced by fewer tablets. BWW-Kent, for example, used to have 30 blue boxes, but when the new tablets came out we only got 18 of them (I think--there have never been more than that working properly, anyway). This is anecdotal, of course, but I noticed a similar thing at other locations, too. If multiboxing is part of the equation, a fewer number of the tablets will naturally reduce "playership," even if the number of actual people is more or less the same.

Again, I don't claim to know what the all the reasons may be, but looking at these data--and knowing that playership has also dropped in non-Showdown premium games, too--leads me to believe the most important factors probably lie elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I'll address a couple of those points. When the split first occurred, a few players here contacted BT about the insane decision. The arrogant reply that came back from BT gave about 10 or 12 of them a vow to never pick up a PlayMaker again. I have seen a few of them since and true to their word, they are no longer players. In fact one of them has lost considerable weight. hmm He has never looked healthier.

The game changes have made a lot of difference as well. I used to like the Saturday night games, but it's not worth the effort to show up now. I have heard others say the same. BT needs to realize that the younger players had rather chase skirts instead of playing their games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 am 
Lotsa Posta

Gogetem wrote:
I'll address a couple of those points. When the split first occurred, a few players here contacted BT about the insane decision. The arrogant reply that came back from BT gave about 10 or 12 of them a vow to never pick up a PlayMaker again. I have seen a few of them since and true to their word, they are no longer players. In fact one of them has lost considerable weight. hmm He has never looked healthier.

The game changes have made a lot of difference as well. I used to like the Saturday night games, but it's not worth the effort to show up now. I have heard others say the same. BT needs to realize that the younger players had rather chase skirts instead of playing their games.

This, this, this.

On one hand, I want BT to succeed so I have a steady stream of trivia while I work. On the other hand, I want to jump up and down on BT's ashes screaming at the top of my lungs, "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU EVERY LAST THING YOU WERE DOING TO KILL YOUR PRODUCT AT EVERY FUCKING TURN AND YOU STUCK YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EARS AND SAID YOU KNEW BETTER THAN US!!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I am only now getting to the age where I realize all that would accomplish is a hoarse voice and hurt knees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

This, this, this.

On one hand, I want BT to succeed so I have a steady stream of trivia while I work. On the other hand, I want to jump up and down on BT's ashes screaming at the top of my lungs, "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU EVERY LAST THING YOU WERE DOING TO KILL YOUR PRODUCT AT EVERY FUCKING TURN AND YOU STUCK YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EARS AND SAID YOU KNEW BETTER THAN US!!!!!!!!!!!! WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I am only now getting to the age where I realize all that would accomplish is a hoarse voice and hurt knees.

Unfortunately, a lot of us are in that position. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:

Well, hell. :roll: This lil old grump has more than a lil to add...

1. Younger players want to play for tangible prizes (bar $, etc.). The question asked most often from those snot nosed punks is usually "WHAT CAN YOU WIN??", and after hearing that there are no prizes, they walk away. :lol:

2. Those same young snot nosed punks don't enjoy this game if they're not winning, and when they find themselves butthurt after having to play against this lil old grump and other more experienced and accomplished players, they act like the poor lil boy who was chosen last. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
This, this, this.

Well, hell. Something tells this lil old grump that, should that day come, Buzztime's answer will be...

FUCK YOU ANYWAY!!!!! WE DID IT OUR WAY!!!!!

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I have always had mixed feelings about BWW. Overall a nice atmosphere with lousey food and overpriced beer that introduced the game to many new players, but caused many old sites to drop the game and potential sites to not consider it. At the same time the BWW influence caused a change in the games; a dumbing down.

Chains that have POS tablets have found people that use the tablets order more. It's been four years and the BT tablet still can't deliver secure order entry and POS. BT disappoints their largest account.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:55 am 
Lotsa Posta

Gogetem wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

This, this, this.

Unfortunately, a lot of us are in that position. :roll:

Which position? The mixed feelings or the hoarse voice and hurt knees?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 pm 
Lotsa Posta

All of the above applies. Advanced age, hoarse voice and hurt knees are all there. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 am 
Lotsa Posta

My proudest moment as a Buzztime player this year occurred this Wednesday past. A few of us, players and kibbutzers, had grouped up in mid-afternoon, and as the day faded, and the group was breaking up, JIMMY and BLING came into B-52. They're a pleasant middle-aged couple, and as they walked past our table I was able to persuade them to sit with us, on the slight premise that they would inherit our table (which has excellent sightlines).

BLING, whose Countdown average is about 8,000, collected a 14,988 right out of the gate. It was certainly the best score she had ever recorded, and she was glowing with happiness. (I was glowing with happiness too, although in my case, the glow might have had more to do with the four manhattans I'd consumed.)

In contrast RENEAL, who could pass for JIMMY's and BLING's siblings and share one playmaker between them, joined us only once, playing decently well. They live in the townhomes just north of B-52, less than half a mile distant. The next time I saw them, we exchanged greetings, and they seated themselves well away from us. Not unsurprisingly, they finished more than a thousand points below the site score on every quiz they played. I saw them three or four times in a two week period, and haven't seen them again since February.

If, like LILJOL, you're sitting alone and playing with justifiable confidence against the rest of the nation, yes, then Buzztime is a competitive affair. But at its most sustainable, Buzztime is a social game in which the conversation is refreshed with every question.

In jotting this down, I'm starting to wonder whether, after yea many years of desuetude, I might still put the hustle on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 am 
Nonagenarian

This doesn't leave me all too hopeful. A response to my latest email complaining about a former haunt of mine losing their tablets.

"Buzztime tablets are indefinitely removed from Elk River as well as several other restaurants across the country. Timing of removal of tablets from all other restaurants is not yet defined. We appreciate your business and hope you will continue to visit our restaurants."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 am 
Himself Fodder

Brutus wrote:
This doesn't leave me all too hopeful. A response to my latest email complaining about a former haunt of mine losing their tablets.

"Buzztime tablets are indefinitely removed from Elk River as well as several other restaurants across the country. Timing of removal of tablets from all other restaurants is not yet defined. We appreciate your business and hope you will continue to visit our restaurants."

Wow, all other restaurants. Hopefully you replied that you will never visit a location that does not have Buzztime.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:35 am 
Nonagenarian

-BO- wrote:
Brutus wrote:

Wow, all other restaurants. Hopefully you replied that you will never visit a location that does not have Buzztime.

I guess I should have included my response back.

"If it's in the works at other locations, not sure what there is that I can do if the decision has been made. If one loyal customer's voice matters to you at all though, I'll continue to visit as long as you have Buzztime and only to locations that have Buzztime. If and when that ends, I will go elsewhere as that really is the only reason I frequent the restaurants. Prices at BWW are higher than elsewhere and the wings are not as good as other sports bars but due to Buzztime, it didn't matter as that was the number one consistent draw for me. The day I walk into my local BWW where I spend the most time and there is no Buzztime is the last day I will visit a Buffalo Wild Wings anywhere.

Not sure if any of that matters to the decision makers at all, but I really hope that the voice of the customer actually means something. "

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am 
Himself Fodder

Brutus wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Brutus wrote:

I guess I should have included my response back.

"If it's in the works at other locations, not sure what there is that I can do if the decision has been made. If one loyal customer's voice matters to you at all though, I'll continue to visit as long as you have Buzztime and only to locations that have Buzztime. If and when that ends, I will go elsewhere as that really is the only reason I frequent the restaurants. Prices at BWW are higher than elsewhere and the wings are not as good as other sports bars but due to Buzztime, it didn't matter as that was the number one consistent draw for me. The day I walk into my local BWW where I spend the most time and there is no Buzztime is the last day I will visit a Buffalo Wild Wings anywhere.

Not sure if any of that matters to the decision makers at all, but I really hope that the voice of the customer actually means something. "

Very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brutus, who were you talking with at BWW? Was it Jess Barker at BWW Home Office?

I have had a couple of emails with her for EACH of the negative complaints I put in for 4 of the dropping BWW in VA/MD. I don't know if Jess works for the local franchise or in MN at the actual home office.

The 1st email from her per store was the standard "hope you come back to enjoy food and beverage options".

Replied back with something along the lines of.......only if you get Buzztime back. Also made sure she knew there was another 25 - 35+ regular patrons per store that have also left, that won't bother complaining in writing on the website because they are too lazy and Fat. :shock:

She wrote back:
<<<<<<The removal of Buzztime from the Dulles VA, Leesburg VA, Waldorf MD and Alexandria, VA - Richmond Hwy restaurants is not a test and Buzztime will not be reinstalled. We appreciate your and your group's business and your additional feedback as we work through this major change to our in-restaurant offerings.

Jess Barker
Buffalo Wild Wings Home Office>>>>>>

So get on there and complain or just send Jess an email at: bww@epowercenterdirect.com

Without BWW the future of BT is short.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Reminder on how easy it is to get through to someone at BWW:

www.buffalowildwings.com .... >>scroll all the way down to "Contact" near the bottom of page.

"whats on your mind?" >>select company

"this is about" >>select general feedback

Fill in a name, you don't need to give an address.

Pick a State and zip code from my list below of one of the 8 BWW that have dropped BT.

Got to put in a email. (the 1st response will be canned but if you reply to that you will get someone to answer you)

Pick the State, city, location, date and time of your visit.

Then "negative experience", a nice message, and Yes you want to be contacted.

These are the 8 locations and zip codes I know of: (there has got to be more)
Roseville MN 55113
Savage MN 55378
Elk River MN 55330
Baytown TX 77521
Dulles VA 20166
Leesburg VA 20176
Alexandria VA 22306
Waldorf MD 20603

Or call 952-593-9433 then 4. I doubt anyone keeps track of that # like the negatives on the website.

Please take a minute to send a "negative experience" in guys. Those of us that do still have to play BT at a BWW thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm 

I had very nice discussion with the manager of a corporate BWW that still has the game. She was aware of the plans to remove it and said she believes but not sure they are picking locations based on contract date. Apparently each store has their own contact wit BT. She said the group of stores in TX anvd NM that corporate bought from a franchise in 2015 has a 5 year contract and they should be one of the last to go according to the plans to pull from all locatons by 2020.

She did say that there are plans to bring in a competitors tablets with trivia and ordering capabilities to replace. We theorized this could be a plan to play hardball with BT to renogiate the cost of rolling out tablet order capabilities. She said similiar threats were made when they got rid of the old blue game boards and they ended up not having to pay all the upgrade fees BT wanted. That may explain why no official announcementis made and the terms being thrown around are ‘indefinite’ or ‘test’

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm 
Centenarian

It seems like the writing is on the wall,like they plan to phase out buzztime trivia as contracts run out.Myself,I see trivia as a limited market.Yes,there are the people that play everyday,those that play their favorite games,etc.But how many of those are out there.How big of a market is there for the casual player.I do not have the answers,but what can be done to make buzztime a viable business model.Can it survive without BWW?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 pm 

I’m not sure this is over yet. I get the impression this is going the way of BWW/BT or both stealing the cable/satellite provider vs programmer playbook. Someone wants too much and the other doesnt want to pay. So we get a drawn out public battle where only the content users suffer. I’m not sure the comments above about only complain to BWW are fare. I think BT has a patt in this and they need to hear as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 am 
Nonagenarian

BUD - Yes, it was Jess that was responding to me.

The fact that my locations isn't allowed to replace broken tablets shows it isn't far off.

As to competitors, I've played a couple of them and they aren't anything I would come back for. Pretty mundane or not on a network.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 am 

Brutus wrote:
BUD - Yes, it was Jess that was responding to me.

The fact that my locations isn't allowed to replace broken tablets shows it isn't far off.

As to competitors, I've played a couple of them and they aren't anything I would come back for. Pretty mundane or not on a network.

Do you know which competitor has servers issued tablets as well? The BWW manager wasn't sure of the competitor system but specifically said it had tablets for guests with games and trivia as well as for servers to use for folks that didn't want to use their own on the table. As well that BT was too expensive and going to take too long to implement such a scheme. So, it sounds they went to a competitor for that reason, not just to cut the cost.

I have seen and used the system they have at Red Robin that has a crappy non-networked trivia game that you have to pay for, but the servers don't carry tablets to place orders, so not sure its that one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

There are several tablet competitors. Ziosk at Applebee's and Olive Garden has terrible pay trivia with no network but does handle add on food and drink orders and payment.

One or a few BWW in MN already tried Ziosk out and quickly agreed BT was much better for trivia. (see the thread on here about that instant failure)

I can't remember the other main competition but it is the one at Red Robin. Same terrible trivia.

No one would ever play more than 1 game and walk out to never return.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am 

Bugg wrote:
It seems like the writing is on the wall,like they plan to phase out buzztime trivia as contracts run out.Myself,I see trivia as a limited market.Yes,there are the people that play everyday,those that play their favorite games,etc.But how many of those are out there.How big of a market is there for the casual player.I do not have the answers,but what can be done to make buzztime a viable business model.Can it survive without BWW?

They may survive. This was from the last NTN earnings call. The CEO mentioned they had a 7-Figure order for new tablets in a different vertical market. He wouldn't give out many details, but it sounds a lot different than the restaurant industry.

What industry would have 10-20K tablets in the field with potential for Trivia and game content?

I also wonder if filling this big order is impacting their ability to meet BWW's need for new tablets?

Wondering if you can give us any more detail on the 7-figure win. And it sort of sounds like the -- not sort of, it does sound like the first new sizable win you've had in a while.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ram Krishnan, NTN Buzztime, Inc. - CEO, President and Director [12]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, we're very excited. Thanks for asking, Alex. We have had a number of people approach us over time for leveraging our tablet platform to deliver their services. This is from a company in a different vertical leveraging our complete tablet platform to deliver their services to their target market and adding our software on top of it for gaming potentially. It's an exciting opportunity because this first 7-figure deal represents one of a number of follow-on orders they'll have to fully fulfill their installed base and their growth targets. And we think it's a great testament to the platform that we've built, the potential it has and the fact there's a real problem in the market that is on -- that it has a bunch of met -- needs that are unmet that we think we solved. And so this particular customer of ours will be using that platform to deliver their services and we expect and hope to license some of our gaming content to them too.
Alex Silverman, [13]
Can you give us a range at all what their total potential is?
Ram Krishnan, NTN Buzztime, Inc. - CEO, President and Director [14]
I think it's a growing market. I'll tell you, we've got the first few thousand that we have on order. They have, I think, somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 tablets in the field, I'll just give you a range, already that need replacement. And that's just what they already have. That's -- there should be growth on top of that as well.
Alex Silverman, [15]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great. And this would be a onetime technology sale in less -- other than the gaming rev share that you might have with them?
Ram Krishnan, NTN Buzztime, Inc. - CEO, President and Director [16]
That's right. So I think, our initial model will be to sell the equipment to them, see it similar to sales-type -- lease-type revenue. We expect there to be follow-on orders for repairs, for support and for growth. And then the kind of recurring revenue model for us on that will be from any ancillary content and services we either license or revenue share with them on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am 
Lucky Member

Lumpy I stopped going to the BWW in Rockville two years ago for the same reason - they wouldn't put the Caps game audio on (people want to hear the music). In this case it was the bartender who wouldn't even get the manager when I asked for him. I didn't see him around, so I just paid and left - and have never been back.
Interestingly enough - BWW was almost empty that night. I went to another sports bar without trivia but who did have the Caps game on. It was packed with people watching the game. So much for BWW being a "sports bar".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next