New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: BWW Dumping Buzztime
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Brutus wrote:
That's when they asked me about why they need the tablets when there is an app and I told them the app doesn't work anymore and they relayed that to BT who told them it would be fixed by June so I guess we shall see.

Brutus,

Thanks for the good news about the app. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Another email from Jess Barker of the BWW home office about the dropping of Buzztime in the Houston area.
The new info here is that it was 30 BWW locations that lost BT. That's more than I thought. Hope it's the end??

>>>>>Hi Andy,

Thank you for your feedback about removing Buzztime tablets from our Baytown, TX restaurant. We have removed Buzztime from 30 restaurants across 9 US markets including Houston. The following Houston market restaurants continue to offer Buzztime. We apologize for the situation and hope you will return to B-Dubs for our food and beverage experience!

Spring, TX
Houston, TX - Wallisville Rd.
Cypress, TX
Rosenberg, TX
Richmond, TX - Grand Pkwy.
Houston, TX - Rice Village
Houston, TX - Willowbrook Plaza
Houston, TX - Royal Oaks
Houston, TX - Midtown Crossing
Houston, TX - Greenway Commons
Houston, TX - Washington Ave.
Lake Jackson, TX

Sincerely,
Jess Barker
Buffalo Wild Wings Home Office >>>>>>>>

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Another email from Jess Barker of the BWW home office about the dropping of Buzztime in the Houston area.
The new info here is that it was 30 BWW locations that lost BT. That's more than I thought. Hope it's the end??

>>>>>Hi Andy,

Thank you for your feedback about removing Buzztime tablets from our Baytown, TX restaurant. We have removed Buzztime from 30 restaurants across 9 US markets including Houston. The following Houston market restaurants continue to offer Buzztime. We apologize for the situation and hope you will return to B-Dubs for our food and beverage experience!
Sincerely,
Jess Barker
Buffalo Wild Wings Home Office >>>>>>>>

It's a huge ask, to ask people to return to BWW for the food and beverage experience. Honestly they would do better allowing people to get sister company Jimmy Johns delivery. Or maybe Jess is known for a sense of sarcasm.

To beat an old drum, Buzztime needs to prove it's value. I haven't seen one schedule change or innovation in the last 10 years that has improved the player experience. Does anybody at BT HQ even play the game as a regular player?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:37 am 
Lotsa Posta

Jim wrote:
Does anybody at BT HQ even play the game as a regular player?

:) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
Oh my gods, that was good. Thanks. I needed that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 am 
Centenarian

I agree.Buzztime needs to prove it's value.That is very well put-simple,but true.Another BWW has apparently dropped buzztime-the one by the University of Minnesota campus.Apparently there was low useage compared to other BWW locations.I have to also agree about BWW hoping and stating those that played come back and enjoy the other options is kind of fruitless.It is like in sports when they fire a coach when they thank the person for all they have done and wish them well.It is the old axiom-action speaks louder than words no matter how pretty you make them The games are gone.The action has taken place.The attempt to soften the blow is not needed.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:23 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Just got to the Wallisville store, and they told me the will be getting brand new tablets next week. I don't know if the other stores in the Houston area will be receiving them as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 am 
Dodecaposter

Hi, new member here although I have lurked for some time. I wanted to report another BWW dropping Buzztime, store #3445 in Fairview Park OH, a Cleveland suburb. They used to have 30 tablets but had fallen to just 4 that would operate at all. When I saw the tablets and chargers were gone I just left and did not get a chance to talk to the manager, so I don't know if this was a corporate action or just the manager getting tired of the complaints about the remaining tablets.

One other area bar dropped Buzztime last month and switched to a competitor's tablets that allow customers to order using the tablets. That location is Harry Buffalo of North Olmsted. That's the oldest Buzztime location in the area, I first saw the trivia on the TV there over 25 years ago. They had tablets unlike any other I see. They had the full width flip out stand like the 4th generation, but they were very light weight and I think had a smaller screen. 1st or 2nd generation tablets I guess, they still worked fine.

I actually developed a connector that permits a backup battery to hook onto the Buzztime tablets. I used a 10,000 milliamp-hour cell/tablet auxiliary battery and could play as long as I liked.

For what it is worth, there are numerous independent locations in north east Ohio that have been using 4th generation tablets since last year. 2 locations close to my home that I play at are Bullfrogs in North Ridgeville and Back Draft in North Olmsted. They are a joy to use, you can spend 3 or 4 hours on one and the battery meter barely drops, if at all.

Dmacd

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am 
Lotsa Posta

One way to eliminate Buzztime is simply to close the entire store. JOHNL and TRONTO tell me that Roark Capital is shuttering BWW-Maplewood and BWW-Stillwater, at least temporarily ending BWW's presence in the northeast St Paul suburbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 pm 

GONE D wrote:
One way to eliminate Buzztime is simply to close the entire store. JOHNL and TRONTO tell me that Roark Capital is shuttering BWW-Maplewood and BWW-Stillwater, at least temporarily ending BWW's presence in the northeast St Paul suburbs.

The local BWW manager told me that one of the biggest changes in strategy with ARBY's/Roark Captial is that they like to own their real estate whereas most of the Corporate BWW's are leased locations - including planned openings. As a result, new store openings under that model are all on hold until they can figure out how to change over to an owned real estate model for new locations. I would imagine a change in strategy like that would result in closings as leases expire without an option to purchase.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

DMACD wrote:
Hi, new member here although I have lurked for some time. I wanted to report another BWW dropping Buzztime, store #3445 in Fairview Park OH, a Cleveland suburb. They used to have 30 tablets but had fallen to just 4 that would operate at all. When I saw the tablets and chargers were gone I just left and did not get a chance to talk to the manager, so I don't know if this was a corporate action or just the manager getting tired of the complaints about the remaining tablets.

One other area bar dropped Buzztime last month and switched to a competitor's tablets that allow customers to order using the tablets. That location is Harry Buffalo of North Olmsted. That's the oldest Buzztime location in the area, I first saw the trivia on the TV there over 25 years ago. They had tablets unlike any other I see. They had the full width flip out stand like the 4th generation, but they were very light weight and I think had a smaller screen. 1st or 2nd generation tablets I guess, they still worked fine.

I actually developed a connector that permits a backup battery to hook onto the Buzztime tablets. I used a 10,000 milliamp-hour cell/tablet auxiliary battery and could play as long as I liked.

For what it is worth, there are numerous independent locations in north east Ohio that have been using 4th generation tablets since last year. 2 locations close to my home that I play at are Bullfrogs in North Ridgeville and Back Draft in North Olmsted. They are a joy to use, you can spend 3 or 4 hours on one and the battery meter barely drops, if at all.

Dmacd

Welcome to the non lurking side of Scar Dmacd, plenty of Cleveland folks around here. Hope you came back with updated reports.

Thanks for the update on BWW Fairview Park OH, another of the dropped 30 checked off. 20 more or so to identify?

Very interesting deal with the tablet battery charger, sounds neat. Luckily our BWW still has enough strong batteries. In case our situation does get worse how do you secure the battery hook up to the flat tablet pickups?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

DMACD wrote:

Dmacd

i am dismayed that bww fairview has dropped the game. i played there very rarely because bww pretty much sucks. we played a wednesday six tournament at bullfrog's and had so much fun there. it is outside the 20 minute rule for most of the team so we don't get out there, but the bar is a lot of fun. as for harry buffalo in north olmsted good riddance says i. we played another tournament there and pretty much got screwed over by the establishment. i talked to them a couple weeks in advance and we still got blown off. after we won whatever prizes to be won the bar kept whatever the swag was. we have not been back there since. for the most part west park station has been good for us.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bejoe wrote:
The local BWW manager told me that one of the biggest changes in strategy with ARBY's/Roark Captial is that they like to own their real estate whereas most of the Corporate BWW's are leased locations - including planned openings. As a result, new store openings under that model are all on hold until they can figure out how to change over to an owned real estate model for new locations. I would imagine a change in strategy like that would result in closings as leases expire without an option to purchase.

Well, hell. If that is true, then all seven of the BWWs in Buzztime's Horribly Site-Poor Backyard (San Diego County) are toast. :cry: For damn sure, the two where this lil old grump has been banging away lately (Mission Valley & Sports Arena) are in shopping centers where it is highly unlikely that BWW can own the property. IIRC, the remaining five (Chula Vista Center, Chula Vista Eastlake, Santee, Encinitas & San Marcos) are also in shopping centers. :cry:

Historical note - The Mission Valley store was formerly leased by the late NFL Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau. His untimely passing compelled his family to dissolve Seau's - The Restaurant and terminate the lease. :cry:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 pm 
Centenarian

Well, I guess I get to pass along more bad news. At the last Thursday (May 3) Six gathering, the manager came over to tell us BWW was pulling Buzztime from the Albuquerque-Gibson locale. Within a few days, we had confirmed this as also happening at the 2 other BWW locations in the ABQ (BWW-Coors, BWW-Montgomery). A shame. We literally (the prior 24 hours) had another set of refreshed tablets delivered to Gibson, bringing the total to about 25. Time frame was only given as "within the next 6 months".

This really leaves the Albuquerque area short of locations. We'll be left with no good options, and perhaps no options at all for the Ragged Rascals. BWW-Gibson was the end of a series of location moves the prior few years that took us from Coaches, to Fox and Hound, brief stints at Black Angus and Boston's, and finally landing at 2 BWWs. Ces't la Vie.

Last edited by diablo2112 on Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Wow, the corporate stores sure aren't wasting anytime. I had read that Roark Capital was trying to sell most corporate stores to current franchises so why the purge of BT if they will just sell the properties?

Hopefully the franchised stores are safe for awhile. BT needs to step up the sales efforts to smaller bars.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 am 

diablo2112 wrote:
Well, I guess I get to pass along more bad news. At the last Thursday (May 3) Six gathering, the manager came over to tell us BWW was pulling Buzztime from the Albuquerque-Gibson locale. Within a few days, we had confirmed this as also happening at the 2 other BWW locations in the ABQ (BWW-Coors, BWW-Montgomery). A shame. We literally (the prior 24 hours) had another set of refreshed tablets delivered to Gibson, bringing the total to about 25. Time frame was only given as "within the next 6 months".

This really leaves the Albuquerque area short of locations. We'll be left with no good options, and perhaps no options at all for the Ragged Rascals. BWW-Gibson was the end of a series of location moves the prior few years that took us from Coaches, to Fox and Hound, brief stints at Black Angus and Boston's, and finally landing at 2 BWWs. Ces't la Vie.

Are these ABQ stores part of the 41 store package including NM locations purchased from a franchise in 2015?

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/ ... -to-b.aspx

The reason I ask is because the manager of one of the TX locations in this group told me that when they got bought by corporate in 2015 they all had to re-sign a fresh 5 year contract with BT and will be one of the last group of stores to dump it in 2020. Now I am concerned that I may need to have another talk if that is not true and they can dump in 6 months....

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 am 

BUD wrote:
Wow, the corporate stores sure aren't wasting anytime. I had read that Roark Capital was trying to sell most corporate stores to current franchises so why the purge of BT if they will just sell the properties?

Hopefully the franchised stores are safe for awhile. BT needs to step up the sales efforts to smaller bars.

Apparently an activist investor is trying to initiate a proxy fight to do just that: 'step up the sales efforts to smaller bars'

Interesting also how this article just mentions the BWW menu ordering rollout 'on hold' and fails to mention BWW's outright dumping the legacy product.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bus ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

bejoe wrote:
BUD wrote:

Apparently an activist investor is trying to initiate a proxy fight to do just that: 'step up the sales efforts to smaller bars'

Interesting also how this article just mentions the BWW menu ordering rollout 'on hold' and fails to mention BWW's outright dumping the legacy product.

Yes, that would be Sean Gordon, he is doing a great job at attempting to show BT where they are lacking. I'm not sure how well he's being received by Ram.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

diablo2112 wrote:
Well, I guess I get to pass along more bad news. At the last Thursday (May 3) Six gathering, the manager came over to tell us BWW was pulling Buzztime from the Albuquerque-Gibson locale. Within a few days, we had confirmed this as also happening at the 2 other BWW locations in the ABQ (BWW-Coors, BWW-Montgomery). A shame.

This is terrible—I am sorry to hear this. I hope the Ragged Rascals will be able to find another place to play. It would be a shame, indeed, if BT lost one of its very best teams.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bejoe wrote:

Well, hell. :roll: After further review, the following excerpt stuck out...

"The company’s turnaround strategy under Chief Executive Ram Krishnan centers on adding menu ordering, check-out and other services via tablet computers to its trivia game platform. It also aims to bring NTN to new markets such as senior centers, casinos and car dealerships."

IIRC senior centers have already been tried, to lil if any success. Casinos have also been tried, but it seems like they don't last too long there either. The only place that this lil old grump can see BT at a car dealership is in the waiting area while customers are getting their vehicles serviced. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm 

NTN just released their Q1 2018 earnings report. I can't believe there is nothing to indicate BWW's dropping it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ntn-buzz ... 00963.html

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm 

bejoe wrote:
NTN just released their Q1 2018 earnings report. I can't believe there is nothing to indicate BWW's dropping it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ntn-buzz ... 00963.html

Just listened into the webcast presentation:

Some highlights from Ram's comments: (Only ONE Analyst asked a question related to the new mobile live trivia initiative)

+Absolutely no comment on BWW's dropping the service. Ram mentioned the small group of BWW's with order/pay delivered in Q1 with a few more in Q2 already schedule. He mentioned that is on hold with the new BWW ownership and just made a broad statement about continuing to work with them on showing value and how to deliver the Buzztime experience to their guests.

+Mentioned Retention efforts such as the April 'Play all day' contest and now Baseball Trivia.

+New Hub in development to begin rolling out in test Q3 - Currently traditional PC hub at each site. Will replace with android hub which should bring cost down. The new hub will support Video and dynamic web content on TV displays in addition to Trivia/Poker which will be scheduled by location.

+Live trivia - Mobile Device based for both host and participants - The host will pay. Free to site and for players. Mentioned how this will be an entry level service ideal for sites as the 'lightest option available' Mobile web - Not App-based, so nothing for the site to install, they just find a host.

+New single player games -Buzztime Soccer released this week in time for World Cup.

+Adding more advertising partners so increased ad-revenue can subsidize cost to the locations.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks for that call update Joe, usually Scar or myself get it on here but I was busy today at 5.
I also usually do ask a question or 2 as a stockholder. I would have asked about the Gen 4 rollout delay and the plans to fix that and will it be an Apple product.

Was there any mention of Sean Gordon and his efforts to gain a seat on the board? He seems like he could be usefull. But I don't know that much about him other than his sales background.

Thanks again for doing the call info for us all.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 pm 

BUD wrote:
Thanks for that call update Joe, usually Scar or myself get it on here but I was busy today at 5.
I also usually do ask a question or 2 as a stockholder. I would have asked about the Gen 4 rollout delay and the plans to fix that and will it be an Apple product.

Was there any mention of Sean Gordon and his efforts to gain a seat on the board? He seems like he could be usefull. But I don't know that much about him other than his sales background.

Thanks again for doing the call info for us all.

He briefly touched on Gen4 rollout - Briefly on the few BWW on menu ordering and how they are moving manufacturing in-house to have more control over it. Nothing about apple. In fact, I highly doubt anything will be apple since he spent a lot of time hyping their android platform on the tablets as well as the transition to an android based hub to replace the legacy PC-based hubs currently on each site as a means to cut cost and difficulty of installs as well ass add more content to the TV displays. Additionally, the one investor that did ask a question got out of him that the new live trivia mobile stuff was not even app-based at all, but 'mobile web' and could be played on laptops as well, so again - I don't see apple as any part of the picture.

No mention of Sean Gordon or any questions from him. Based on the article I posted above, he is labeled a 'hostile investor' and not allowed to ask questions, so it is not suprising. Most of the call was all sunshine and rainbows with the exception of a brief synopsis of the NYSE de-listing notice and the technical finance details to address it.

I did get the impression based on having listened to these calls in the past that he is trying to address Sean's concerns without mentioning his name or going into details. In past calls, half the time would be spent on BWW's and all the work being done with them. This time, not so much - BWW was barely mentioned. Much more time was spent on the initiatives to bring down cost and difficulty of install which would be much more beneficial to independent locations. Since we all seem to know BWW's are starting to drop, Sean's comment about 'all the eggs in one basket' probably has a lot more bite now and he knows it, but won't say yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:49 pm 
Dodecaposter

BUD wrote:
Very interesting deal with the tablet battery charger, sounds neat. Luckily our BWW still has enough strong batteries. In case our situation does get worse how do you secure the battery hook up to the flat tablet pickups?

I made up a prototype with intentions to maybe market them but decided that the liability of hooking non authorized batteries to tablets on their last legs was not a good idea. So I never finalized the design which would have had a "U" shaped, flat spring brass connector that slid over the top and bottom of the tablets and clipped onto the edge of the screen recess. But the prototype works just fine and is far easier to make.

The main component is a battery connector from Mouser Electronics, part number 652-70ADJ-6-ML1 :

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bo ... yJjEQ%2frg

The brass contacts are springs. You only need the outer springs so clip the 4 inside ones and pull them out with pliers. Buy a short USB charging cable and cut off the device connector leaving the USB connector. When facing the Buzztime tablet the positive contact is on the left side. Solder the positive (red) lead from the USB cable to the left spring on the connector. Solder the negative (black) lead to the other spring. Be sure and solder to the brass terminal that connects to the actual spring contact on the front side, only one of them does. Clip off the other 2 USB leads, those are for data.

To hold the USB cable tight, use one wrap of 1/2" wide electrical tape (tape that is too thick will not let the springs make contact). Then use a 2 1/2" long piece of good duct tape to hold the connector to the tablet. I use Gorilla tape. It needs to be stiff since the area heats up when charging and thin tape like electrical tape loosens quickly. You can leave it on the assembly and re-use it several times.

I use a battery with a digital power readout so you can see what is going on. Mine is a Blackweb model BWA17W1030 with 10,000 mAh rating. About 15 bucks at Walmart. You can use either the 1.0 amp or the 2.4 outlet depending on what the tablet needs. Dennis

Attachments:
clip04.JPG
clip04.JPG [ 15.82 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]
clip03.JPG
clip03.JPG [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]
clip02.JPG
clip02.JPG [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

With BWW dropping BT, there will be FOUR WV sites, all in the southern part of the state.

TIEFLY has been swatted.

Fun while it lasted....at least I won't have to see anyone eat those shitty wings again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next