New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baseball Trivia, all May long
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. :evil: While confirming GOGETM's finding that SiteFinder is inoperative, up crapped next month's promotion of Baseball Trivia, a half hour game to be played every fucking day :evil: replacing the network wide 4:30 P.M. Pacific Countdown game.

Why those clueless, non-playing folks at Buzztime think it such a wonderful idea to do this is beyond me. Seems like the occasional shorts between rounds and/or games are plenty enough.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Baseball Trivia, all May long
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It may become necessary to have another cigar break or take a walk. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 pm 
Centenarian

Final Jeopardy answer today was to name a sports player that lost a lawsuit in 1931.It was Babe Ruth and only one person got it right.It is amazing to me how big sports is in this nation yet few have an appetite for playing sports trivia games.What I find is a real passion for the local teams but only discernible knowledge about other teams.They know only basic information about other teams.Very few have a passion to play a sports trivia game.Trivia is indeed a niche market overall.So,for buzztime to survive it must properly market it.Find the few places it can flourish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm 
Centenarian

I am for more games other than one after another of buzztime.Some of those are the one's they took out.I must be one of the few that really liked the daily game abused news that came on at about 5:30p.m central Monday through Friday.It seemed to me there were alot more people playing than now.Anyway ,that was years ago.I just think they need more variety.The numbers are really low for the late night game.Maybe,I am just a dreamer.Maybe the numbers would remain the same even if they diversified the games and brought some of the old one's back.I am just what you would call brainstorming so buzztime stays relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Bugg wrote:
... Very few have a passion to play a sports trivia game. Trivia is indeed a niche market overall.So,for buzztime to survive it must properly market it.Find the few places it can flourish.

The problem is that what BT considers to be baseball trivia won't be anything like that question where some knowledge of baseball history will help you figure out the correct answer. My guess is that questions coughed up by BT will be more along the nature of "What player got two singles, a double and the game-winning RBI in some game last week?". In other words, not remotely interesting except to fantasy geeks and maybe a close-following fan of the team/player involved in the answer.

The 4:30 game... That'll be a huge hit with the triv nuts showing up early in order to get ready for Brainbuster/Showdown next week... Oh, wait, no it won't. More likely there'll be a few more *former* BT players after that happens...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am 
U > 100 * 2

Bugg wrote:
Final Jeopardy answer today was to name a sports player that lost a lawsuit in 1931.It was Babe Ruth and only one person got it right.It is amazing to me how big sports is in this nation yet few have an appetite for playing sports trivia games.What I find is a real passion for the local teams but only discernible knowledge about other teams.They know only basic information about other teams.Very few have a passion to play a sports trivia game.Trivia is indeed a niche market overall.So,for buzztime to survive it must properly market it.Find the few places it can flourish.

I was kinda surprised that the other 2 blew that question.
Guess they were too young.

RAY J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rackme32 wrote:
Bugg wrote:
... Very few have a passion to play a sports trivia game. Trivia is indeed a niche market overall.So,for buzztime to survive it must properly market it.Find the few places it can flourish.

The problem is that what BT considers to be baseball trivia won't be anything like that question where some knowledge of baseball history will help you figure out the correct answer. My guess is that questions coughed up by BT will be more along the nature of "What player got two singles, a double and the game-winning RBI in some game last week?". In other words, not remotely interesting except to fantasy geeks and maybe a close-following fan of the team/player involved in the answer.

The 4:30 game... That'll be a huge hit with the triv nuts showing up early in order to get ready for Brainbuster/Showdown next week... Oh, wait, no it won't. More likely there'll be a few more *former* BT players after that happens...

Either that or they'll just opt out & play Countdown. Seemed like many bars were doing that by the time the football games came to an end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:38 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I enjoy going to a game and having a beer on the shady side of the ballpark on a warm afternoon, but have never cared about player or team statistics. Scheduled one or two times a week I'm fine; scheduled 8.9.10+ times a week I'm gone. There are a lot of good games BT has dropped and I'd suggest bringing back a few only to find they liked my suggestion and rescheduled "Know Your Server" and Buzztime Trivia complete with repeats and patterned answers 10 hours per day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BT seems to know what is best for us and what we should play. Some of the best games that BT has ever had are long gone and probably will never return. It probably took too much effort to continue those games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 am 
Lotsa Posta

I just sent an e-mail to Carlsbad asking whether the Outta the Park promotion would be on the same feed as Brainbuster and Showdown, and to add that if this were the case, the promotion would be hugely disruptive. Again, Buzztime has a feed which is dedicated to Sports Trivia. Why don't they run these promotions - football or baseball or NASCAR - over their sports feed? I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It is impossible to get a manager to switch tablet bars over to the sports channel, if it's even still there. I don't really think it is, if it is there's not more than 5 people playing it. The blue box bars were easy enough to switch over.

What's the big deal about missing one CD game on 6 nights a week? Not the end of the world.
A baseball themed CD is good in our book, in fact I'll say Gaithersburg wins most of these baseball games as we often win the 730 CD being replaced for one month. That's on Thur, Fri and Sat nights, screw the rest of the week. :roll:

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:00 pm 
Lotsa Posta

As of April 26, the Sports Trivia channel was still live. I looked up my homeboy BUGG's statistics, and came away with a clue why Buzztime chose to run this promotion on its primary, general knowledge trivia feed, rather than on its sports feed.

Hardly anyone plays the Sports Trivia Channel. BUGG, who has played 434 games of Sports Trivia in the past six months, and is ranked 3rd system-wide, is tied for first place in the number of Top 100 scores he's received. That number is 0.

Out of the 434 games he's played, and among the thousands of quizzes he hasn't played, not once have there been as many as 300 players on Sports Trivia. In BUGG's last 50 games, only once or twice have there been as many as 20 players.

Buzztime might have drawn the obvious inference that, on the whole, we're not that much interested in sports. Whether early arriving Showdown players would be more intrigued or repelled by a baseball quiz I leave to your imagination.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 pm 
Centenarian

Yes,I am amazed more people do not play the sports games.You have to remember that most states allow poker.On a recent visit I went to a Wisconsin BWW and asked if they would put sports trivia on instead of poker.I was told we do not have it anymore.In the past there were more people from the poker states playing sports trivia.That has dramatically dried up.Here in Minnesota very few places have it on a screen.So many people do not even know it is available.When they do put in on the screen I have witnessed a slight uptake of players playing,but usually their scores are pretty low.The exceptions are a few hardcore
players and a few visitors from other states.That being said even if they did the numbers would still be low.What I do notice is the questions on the sports trivia network generally are much tougher than the one's they put in the countdown game.The one's in the regular countdown game are often very easy.They should put tougher ones in the countdown game.Why do people not play more sports game.The easiest answer is they do not know the answers.How many people will play games they do not know the answers.Really,when you analyze all the games how many real serious players are there.Look at the premium games.How many are real competitive serious players.Sure some games more than others but trivia is a niche market.Myself,as much as I play sports trivia I find myself struggling with many games so I can imagine how hard it is for the average person.I beleive that having reasonable sports games on the regular channel is a good idea.Baseball for example has been with this country for decades .Despite the rise and popularity of football and other sports there are millions of passionate baseball fans. They also need some entertainment games that appeal to people that frequent these places.Hopefully the baseball game will have fresh questions .Countdown and lunch games are loaded with repeat questions Then you get a few group of players around the country playing together which leads to inflated averages and unfortunately unfair competition at times.How relevant are individual averages if you are playing with a group and on top of that are aided by repeat content.The games that count are the ones without repeat content.As I have stated before I am amazed at how few people really want to play trivia which is even lower for sports.Yet we are a sports crazed nation.Yet we are an information nation.We need as a group to work together to keep the buzztime relevant.Yes, alot of people do not play the sports game,but one should not be fooled into thinking there is a big groundswell for the other games.

Last edited by Bugg on Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:24 pm 
Himself Fodder

The questions on the sports trivia network are way too hard, the best sports trivia players in the country might average 11k assuming no repeats. If that's the case then the average Joe might know one question per game, maybe. SIQ and STC were an excellent mix of questions, it had something for everybody. And then they were both removed from the network, they actually shit canned SIQ twice. After we rebelled they brought it back the first time. And replaced by The Pulse, a game I played exactly twice before laughing my way home on Monday nights. We had a group that played each and every Monday night for the sports game, and never again when The Pulse came out. Hurts the bottom line of the location we played at for sure.

What BT doesn't understand is why baseball trivia is not a good lead in to BB and SD. Sure, I'd like it, but most on my team would not as well as the majority of the Tuesday players on the network.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The reason no one plays the Sports network is because it's impossible to program it on in tablet bars. The manager has to go online to the BT website to switch out poker for sports. It's just never going to happen.

I'll guarantee all the people playing when Bugg is whoring his 500 p+ points for logging in for 1 question at most are all at blue box bars, probably doing the same p+ whoring after CD is done. It's amazing as is the thought of ever putting in paragraph breaks. :shock:

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am 
Centenarian

When I play lunch games I play full sports games since that is possible.For the most part questions do not run at the same time.I seldom only answer one question.I am playing the games to compete and test my knowledge.It is for me fun to see how well I can do.I do realize we all have limitations.There is a vast body of knowledge out there and to pretend we have all the answers is silly.For example,since I basically watch very few TV shows except for sports my knowledge is limited there.I listen to music but certainly am not an expert.I like history but certainly am not an expert.Even the sports games especially on the sports channel humble me.I get satisfaction when I excel when the games are fair.At times,when games are fair without repeat questions being a contributer to a team is great.I must confess I do not recall being recruited for team play.Enough said.I consider this buzztime thing
a hobby. Instead of golfing and or working on old cars etc this is my hobby.Bud you make a good point about player plus points.What value do they really have.Perhaps,it shows too much time playing trivia .The points really do not show excellence.Too bad they are not like the old gold bond or S&H stamps where one could cash them in for prizes.But of course that would be way too hard to monitor.People would log in just to get rewards.Oh well,the meaning to me in life is to have faith, family and a coterie of friends and have fun while I am here on earth.Indeed a great part of life is faith, family and friends.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:58 pm 
Centenarian

I remember when they had a half hour NHL game.They also had two 15 minute NHL games that were extremely hard.A player in British Columbia usually won the 15 minute games.There would be questions from the early days of hockey.It certainly was challenging for me.That leads me to tonight's games.Alexander Ovechkin scores late to give Washington a 2-1 series lead on the road against the defending two time Stanley Cup champions Pittsburgh Penguins.Another whiteout in Winnipeg.Down 3-0 the Winnipeg Jets roar back and tie it. A score by Minnesota native Blake Wheeler on a powerplay with less than 5 minutes left breaks a 4-4 tie and Jets take 2-1 series lead over Nashville Predators Thousands of white clad fans celebrate at the corner of Main and Portage.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:05 am 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
The reason no one plays the Sports network is because it's impossible to program it on in tablet bars. The manager has to go online to the BT website to switch out poker for sports. It's just never going to happen.

Nowadays everything either blows my mind or freaks me out. Seriously, BUD, with all the damfool games on those tablets, Buzztime cut out one of its three real-time channels?

Mercy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm 
Centenarian

I am interested to know what type of content the baseball game had last night-current events,past history,etc.If anybody has any information please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bugg wrote:
I am interested to know what type of content the baseball game had last night-current events,past history,etc.If anybody has any information please let me know.

Well, hell...mea culpa. :oops: Baseball Trivia starts Friday, the 4th - which, thankfully for this lil old grump, has become one of my three days off.

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 pm 
Centenarian

Thankyou.As much as football has gone up in popularity as well as other sports I know plenty of people that the one sport they really care about is baseball.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
BUD wrote:

Nowadays everything either blows my mind or freaks me out. Seriously, BUD, with all the damfool games on those tablets, Buzztime cut out one of its three real-time channels?

Mercy.

Right D, BT made it very difficult from day one of the introduction of the Sports Network to succeed. With blue boxes at the time, bars could only choose 2 of 3 networks, trivia, poker or sports. It was easy enough if you had the password to switch out networks but that is impossible with tablets as those games are all programmed online with a different password.

So BT never had the capability to do all 3 at once. The Sports Network was done the day it was introduced many years ago. BT once again mistakenly assumed managers have all the time in the world to handle BT stuff. I can't believe the sports network is still available.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:

Either that or they'll just opt out & play Countdown. Seemed like many bars were doing that by the time the football games came to an end.

I stand corrected. We opted out tonight for Countdown... and only 11 bars played Countdown instead of baseball.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:04 am 
Centenarian

As noted by others it is much more difficult to change games on the new tablets.
This reminds me-Back when it was easier to to do hour long games sometimes they would be changed at locations to countdown games.That made it hard on the person that wanted to play the daily hour long games especially if one was traveling.Theoretically baseball is our national pastime.Millions love the game.I have played one game and thought it was written pretty well.It seemed to have a good mix of current and past games without going back too far in history.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bugg wrote:
As noted by others it is much more difficult to change games on the new tablets.
This reminds me-Back when it was easier to to do hour long games sometimes they would be changed at locations to countdown games.That made it hard on the person that wanted to play the daily hour long games especially if one was traveling.Theoretically baseball is our national pastime.Millions love the game.I have played one game and thought it was written pretty well.It seemed to have a good mix of current and past games without going back too far in history.

Well, hell. :roll: Having flailed away at a few of these, seems that there is at least one question about minor league teams in every game. :shock: This lil old grump would welcome some older history questions that today's millenials might have more than a lil difficulty answering. :lol:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!