New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Holzhauer
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

After a month's worth of dominating Jeopardy appearances I find it somewhat puzzling that none of my Trivia colleagues have yet to open a thread to invoke commentary on this particular contestant. Humbly, I leap into the breach......

I have been watching Jeopardy regularly for most of Alex Trebek's 30+ years on the show, and have never before seen a player dominate the series such as this. His knowledge base is extraordinary. Seems to have no specific category weakness. Immediate recall. Very quick with the signal button. Dominates the Daily Doubles, and is a very aggressive wagerer. Also has a much less annoying personality than many of the other multiple day champions in recent memory. Then there is the occupation. (Professional sports gambler? Really?)

And yet I find myself increasingly rooting against him. Perhaps it's because the games have become a bit boring to watch as often times the outcome has been settled prior to Double Jeopardy even starting. The only question seems to be by how much will he once again surpass the previous one-day record of $77,000? It's like going to a contemporary Major League baseball game. You pretty much know what you're going to get: 5 or 6 homeruns (yawn), 15-20 K's (double yawn), and an embarrassingly low number of balls in play.

I know it's rather early yet to think about Ken Jennings territory. Kind of like modern sports journalists getting all "goo-goo eyed" when a batter reaches an 18 game hitting streak, and start conjecturing about the likelihood of reaching the magical 56. But the way this guy has been dominating the competition (other than a precariously close finish on Monday of this week), it looks like he might be very capable of accomplishing it.

Now watch. He'll go down tonight, and I will have effectively killed yet another thread.........

Post subject: Re: Holzhauer
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Only won by $18 on Tues., then back to the blowouts.

Seems like a nice guy, not irritating at all, still rooting for him.

I guess he needs to start writing books and making a weekly trivia game where he can market his books.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:04 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

NPR Plant Money Podcast
Episode 912: How Uncle Jamie Broke Jeopardy
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 pm 
Centenarian

Great for him.He is a gifted person who works hard to maximize his skills to win.It really is remarkable watching him.He also has been visible to the media and public.He was on Lock It In show on FS1.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 am 
U > 100 * 2

He's back on Monday.
Must-see viewing.

RAY J.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 pm 
Centenarian

I absolutely agree-Must see TV.Teachers tournament just concluded.That was fun also.But Holzhauer is a generational player.