New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Virtual Buzztime #NYC01"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

When the folks at Mad River signed into their boxes tonight, they got "Virtual Buzztime #NYC01" as a location choice besides Mad River. Clicking it did nothing more than than provide a "No games available" blue screen, both before or after the start of Showdown, but we'd like to know if anyone else got something similiar tonight.

“When I see the right and the ability to do everything granted to any power whatsoever, whether it is called people or king, democracy or aristocracy . . ., I say: there is the seed of tyranny, and I seek to go live under other laws.” --de Tocqueville

Post subject: Re: "Virtual Buzztime #NYC01"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I got one with the same characteristics in the Chicago suburbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

These are the virtual sites that I was talking about in another thread (How much longer is our game gonna last, March 19) a few months ago at the start of the covid shut down.

The virtual sites are intended to give players a place to use the phn app when there are no local bars close by or just as another option to play. I believe the plan is to have about 15 of these virtual sites as test markets before rolling out more. As of now there aren't plans to charge players but there may be ads on the app at some point. There are virtual sites in Southern CA, Florida, Chicago and NY. The one in Florida has been getting a lot of play. Of course the virtual sites only get games supported by the app leaving SD out of luck for now. Try the virtual sites tonight for SIX and let me know how it goes. There isn't one for DC/MD/VA yet.

BT was going to turn on a few of these at the start of the shut down but I suggested to Allen Wolff after an earnings call that he just open up the radius on each current location to 20 miles so that a lot more players could play from home while stuck there. He agreed and we had trivia for the last few months. Now that the CA shutdown is easing the focus seems to be back on starting these virtual sites.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Looking at the Wed SIX scores I see Virtual NYC was 23rd, some other NY bar was 1st. Virtual sites seem to be running fine, I wonder how far the radius is on these sites? The address on Virtual NYC is the Richard Rogers Theatre near Times Square and the phn number is Buzztime's in CA. It does show on the sitefinder as it has to, to show on the app.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 pm 
Moons of Uranus

BUD wrote:
Looking at the Wed SIX scores I see Virtual NYC was 23rd, some other NY bar was 1st. Virtual sites seem to be running fine, I wonder how far the radius is on these sites? The address on Virtual NYC is the Richard Rogers Theatre near Times Square and the phn number is Buzztime's in CA. It does show on the sitefinder as it has to, to show on the app.

The one based in NY goes at least as far north as Boston, as far west as Harrisburg, PA, and as far south as Baltimore (but not DC). Seems like it’s the first choice on the list of places to choose to play at regardless of where you are.

The biggest problem right now is that there’s no national rankings after the game, and you don’t show up on the rankings at other locations. I suspect this is the same for the other virtual Buzztimes, as I haven’t seen them on the rankings.

FYI, while you couldn’t play anything during Spotlight on the app at bar locations, Virtual Buzztime/NY was running Countdown.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:16 pm 
Ending Symphony

A location search for "virtual buzztime" gives three results:

Virtual Buzztime #20
2231 Rutherford Road
Carlsbad, CA 92008

Virtual Buzztime #NYC01
226 W 46th St
New York, NY 10036

Virtual Buzztime #Florida01
8264 Northlake Blvd
West Palm Beach, FL 33412

Not much help for middle US.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Looking at the Wed SIX scores I see Virtual NYC was 23rd, some other NY bar was 1st. Virtual sites seem to be running fine . . . .

I played one tablet on the Virtual NYC while playing others with the Mad River Zoom team Wednesday night. There is one big flaw with the Virtual NYC game; it shows questions significantly later than at Mad River.

“When I see the right and the ability to do everything granted to any power whatsoever, whether it is called people or king, democracy or aristocracy . . ., I say: there is the seed of tyranny, and I seek to go live under other laws.” --de Tocqueville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

kent wrote:
A location search for "virtual buzztime" gives three results:

Virtual Buzztime #20
2231 Rutherford Road
Carlsbad, CA 92008

Virtual Buzztime #NYC01
226 W 46th St
New York, NY 10036

Virtual Buzztime #Florida01
8264 Northlake Blvd
West Palm Beach, FL 33412

Not much help for middle US.

Hey Kent, not all are listed as Virtual. There are a few locations in Chicago, the only one with any play is "NTN Site Hub - Test Site #1". There is also a #2 and #3 and Northstar Investment, one of BT's main investors. All are within a few blocks of each other downtown.
Then a Buzztime Test Unit IL01 out near Brookfield. Why do they need 4 test sites?

I think more will pop up around the country in time.