New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blog re: Guru changes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:18 pm 
Nonagenarian

Hey all,

KK posted a blog about the upcoming changes to the gurus. Here are the details: http://buzztime.com/blog-buzztime/629-t ... nging.html

Post subject: Re: Blog re: Guru changes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Guess I am really getting old, as I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
scar wrote:
Guess I am really getting old, as I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

Nope, just sensible. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm 
Phosphorus

Hey guys, Tom from Buzztime here. Just wanted to say hello again and introduce myself. The changes with the Gurus is still in progress but we hope for all of you that are on Twitter and Facebook that you will join us or "like" our new pages. We will be continuing to post fun random trivia contests and provide information about events, updates or general FAQ as needed.

I know I am no Mary/Red but I hope you will give us all a chance.

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/BuzztimeTriviaGames
http://www.facebook.com/BuzztimeCardGames
http://www.facebook.com/BuzztimeSportsGames

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/buzztimetrivia/
http://twitter.com/buzztimecards/
http://twitter.com/BuzztimeSports/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm 
Himself Fodder

Thanks for the info Tom. But I want to mention something about BT's communication changes.

Your core demographic does not have nor care about facebook and twitter. They are older, wiser, and leave these things to the younger generation who has a 60-second attention span. Yes, there are members of your core demographic that follow the social networks, and this is not a slam against them in any way, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Your casual demographic does subscribe to social media, but they will play regardless because it's not serious business for them. They don't care about prizes and competitions. They just want something to do with their hands while getting intoxicated.

In short, sadly, this communication model is built for the demographic that your product will never reach, same as most of the recent changes to BT.

Regardless, hopefully you will be a continued presence here to communicate info.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BO nailed that one on the head for you Tom. Leave the facebook and twitter to kids who don't even care to play BT much.
When the kids get to their 30s and calm down some will pick up a BT box and play but don't waste much time chasing after them now.

Your core players are 30 and older and like to sit on bar stools for hours at a time. 8-) Kids don't do that.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:42 pm 
Phosphorus

Bo and Bud-

Appreciate the feedback. We know that Facebook and Twitter is not a model that fits everyone. We also had to face the facts that many of the features we offer or offered through Buzztime.com were not being used very frequently by a large number of our players.

As we continue to evolve and grow with our players, we hope you can suggest ideas, forms or models to better communicate with you. We face a growing number of challenges pertaining to communication and we are not an island; we want your input, we want your feedback and we love your suggestions.

Please keep them coming, let's create a dialogue and figure out how to reach you, where you want to be.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ayschucks wrote:
Bo and Bud-

Appreciate the feedback. We know that Facebook and Twitter is not a model that fits everyone. We also had to face the facts that many of the features we offer or offered through Buzztime.com were not being used very frequently by a large number of our players.

As we continue to evolve and grow with our players, we hope you can suggest ideas, forms or models to better communicate with you. We face a growing number of challenges pertaining to communication and we are not an island; we want your input, we want your feedback and we love your suggestions.

Please keep them coming, let's create a dialogue and figure out how to reach you, where you want to be.

Tom

I know you are new, but have you heard of the BT Forum which was part of BT's website? There were hundreds of post there everyday from thousands of dedicated BT trivia players. BT had a great communications forum and trash caned it.

If you bring it back, yes you will get a lot of criticism and complaints, but you will get the feedback, suggestions, and dialog you are looking for. BT once had it.

I have played BT Trivia from Denver to Florida and West, BY GOD, Virgina and I have not seen many, if any players under the age of 30 and no offence to Bud, I think the most are over 40.

Good Luck, I wish you and BT well. I do not want the games to vanish or turned to garbage.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
if any players under the age of 30 and no offence to Bud, I think the most are over 40.

Over 40 here (in fact i turn 45 next weekend)

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Be careful of truism here. Declarative universal statements that are perhaps mostly true are easily ignored because people naturally assume exceptions negate them. I know active 80+ year old facebook users and active young 20s BT fans - even a couple of teens.

Exceptions admittedly, and the tendency (not axiom) is for age groups to use both differently. Older fb users don't often concentrate on its use as a tool to find new things to do or care about. They share photos and comments with existing friends and family. 100s of fb users linked to the BT feeds. I am confident from occasional perusal that 90%+ were already committed players looking for news -so it works fairly well to connect to any age range of existing player who is at least somewhat engaged in social media on the internet. As noted thpough the forum already did that, with the advantage of having solid participation and extensive lurking from a very committed set of very regular players, many of whom will never use fb at least to talk about BT. That was a much better sounding board and feedback loop than social media will be for decades if ever.

For the younger set whom BT obviously covets greatly fb et al may reach a few but not many, and I cannot see more than a few ever trying it and only a handful becoming players. BT seems to be struggling to accept that its service is inherently and inescapably uncool, and no jazzy graphics or faux-hip themes (blur abd its pathetic kin) or even the huge swathe of schlock reality tv and rap questions recently imposed on us will change that. It's just not trendy to sit in one bar for a few hours staring at a screen and talk mostly about factoids. How many 20's even sit unless eating for a start (ever tried playing bt standing up in a crowd like they are generally wont to do)? What percentage stay in one place? How many want to watch a screen fixedly instead of ciculating with the group? Any player that age I have ever seen in 15 years 5 states as a resident and 40+ as a visitor and well into 3 figures of bars is a trivia geek already as was I - all but a c0uple part of age-ranged teams. That younger crowd is gettable, sure, They can even be reached on fb etc. However they are far better attracted by focusing on and advertising solid content and interesting themes not pc gimmickry because that is what attracts trivia geeks of all ages. I have seen countless young people with limited trivia experience in other formats (yes you can tell - just like a lifelong pool enthusiast can spot people who have played a lot without even seeing them pot one ball) pick up a box. Almost none have even finished a game. It's too slow for most - even the BT game curmudgeonly veterans think gives them no time to relax. It's too uncomfortable to people of the "everybody is smart" education generation to get a couple in a row that show most of them (remember here we are talking about NON trivia geeks) are woefully uninformed on the non-US world, most of history, science etc. Even if they are informed and are interested, their friends want to do something more cool. How many 20 somethings drink alone or in couples like most of your core players - even those who formed teams?

Face it your only shot in that age range includes trivia geeks who just need to know it exists and how to find it, and who care most about question content, range and freshness. and young couples more widely informed than most of their generation who want something to do on date night, most of whom not already trivis geeks will be fleeting customers at best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:14 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

FrankC wrote:
I know you are new, but have you heard of the BT Forum which was part of BT's website? There were hundreds of post there everyday from thousands of dedicated BT trivia players. BT had a great communications forum and trash caned it.

Are you being serious? The Buzztime forums started great, but became a hellhole of trash, insults, and garbage, mostly from the same two dozen people, most of whom spent the vast majority of their time bashing anyone who wasn't "old school." Is was the exact opposite of what a business would want for their client base.

They went from something useful and neat to a constant litany of negativity. The amount of resources drained to keep up with it were clearly not worth the incredibly minimal benefit retained from them -- that is, the benefit of communicating with the same 24 angry, stubborn players who posted there regularly.

If you really believe it was a great communications vehicle, you are looking at through rose-colored glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
FrankC wrote:
if any players under the age of 30 and no offence to Bud, I think the most are over 40.

Over 40 here (in fact i turn 45 next weekend)

40??? I have 18 months until I get there - YIKES!

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:24 pm 
Himself Fodder

Dante wrote:
Are you being serious? The Buzztime forums started great, but became a hellhole of trash, insults, and garbage, mostly from the same two dozen people, most of whom spent the vast majority of their time bashing anyone who wasn't "old school." Is was the exact opposite of what a business would want for their client base.

They went from something useful and neat to a constant litany of negativity. The amount of resources drained to keep up with it were clearly not worth the incredibly minimal benefit retained from them -- that is, the benefit of communicating with the same 24 angry, stubborn players who posted there regularly.

If you really believe it was a great communications vehicle, you are looking at through rose-colored glasses.

It was a great communications vehicle, everything players needed to know and more was known. There certainly were problems, here are three.

1, BT didn't have the manpower to moderate the forum that grew too quickly.
2, BT constantly sabotaging their product.
3, Those same 24 angry players commenting about such among other things.

I could say many things about the forums, and will admit I crossed the line at times although I always spoke the truth. But I will simply say this for now, had BT not made numerous changes for the worse, the forums would have been a happy place and would still exist. The angry, stubborn players were a direct result of these changes.

BO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

No one is saying there arent demographic exceptions, but my experience reflects what many others have said, the main , dedicated trivia crowd TENDS to be a bit older. Sure, there are always exceptions but seems the vast majority of "regulars" appear to be early to mid 40's on up to early 60's. No matter what sites I have played at this seems to be the case. I do wish BT would learn to cater a bit more to the folks who are actually contributing the most to paying the bills.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:

How did you learn that I now wear Rose colored glasses. I do believe it was a great communications tool when BT used it that way.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ERIC wrote:
I'm 29 and an avid player and follower.. Playing NTN Buzztime For 17 years now.
Forget about me FrankC? :D

No, I did not forget about you. I thought you were 31. Anyway you may be the one who proves the rule. What is interesting is that 10 years ago when I started playing BT trivia I played with a number of good 20 something year old players. The problem was is that they all got married and started having kids and became responsible parents and adults and stopped coming to the bar.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Dante wrote:
FrankC wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree.

For the last six months of its existence, the BT forums were a detriment to the games and ultimately the corporation as a whole. 99% of player base never accessed them..Elimination was a sound business decision.

I

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

But they were certainly entertaining!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Golden Tee Master

-BO- wrote:

I could say many things about the forums, and will admit I crossed the line at times although I always spoke the truth. But I will simply say this for now, had BT not made numerous changes for the worse, the forums would have been a happy place and would still exist. The angry, stubborn players were a direct result of these changes.

BO

Sadly, I have to 100% agree with Dante on this one. I find it funny that you "crossed the line at times". You crossed the line everyday with your newbie bashing. At least now newbies can have their questions answered without fear of you ripping their guts out because you thought their question was stupid or something they could look up on their own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:

I'll 2nd that.

I didn't think the BT forums were that bad, so there was a few complainers and malcontents...so what.
Deal with it..... the rest of the discussions and game info were just fine.

Maybe I just ignored the other stuff. I thought it was a fine way to get info and it was entertaining, guess BT brass didn't think so.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm 
Golden Tee Master

BUD wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

I'll 2nd that.

I didn't think the BT forums were that bad, so there was a few complainers and malcontents...so what.

Maybe I just ignored the other stuff. I thought it was a fine way to get info and it was entertaining, guess BT brass didn't think so.

Yeah, they were entertaining until someone threatened to kill someone else. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:

I'll 2nd that.

Yeah, they were entertaining until someone threatened to kill someone else. :roll:[/quote]

Glad I didn't threaten to kill someone. On the other hand, I did respond to threats thrown in my direction. I said some really nasty things, but at least I was honest and everyone knew where I was coming from. But, since I was banned so many times for calling certain people names, I am comfortable if people think I was the problem. Hell, I get blamed for everything anyway, so I am used to it. I am trying to become a kinder gentler LEWSER, but I still need to vent sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
I am trying to become a kinder gentler LEWSER, but I still need to vent sometimes.

Hells bells, this world will never be the same with a kinder, gentler LEWSER. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

cards wrote:
Sadly, I have to 100% agree with Dante on this one. I find it funny that you "crossed the line at times". You crossed the line everyday with your newbie bashing. At least now newbies can have their questions answered without fear of you ripping their guts out because you thought their question was stupid or something they could look up on their own.

Why is it my fault that most newbies were poor ignorant saps that deserved it? :twisted: :D

BO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Thanks for the info Tom. But I want to mention something about BT's communication changes.

Your core demographic does not have nor care about facebook and twitter. They are older, wiser, and leave these things to the younger generation who has a 60-second attention span. Yes, there are members of your core demographic that follow the social networks, and this is not a slam against them in any way, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Your casual demographic does subscribe to social media, but they will play regardless because it's not serious business for them. They don't care about prizes and competitions. They just want something to do with their hands while getting intoxicated.

In short, sadly, this communication model is built for the demographic that your product will never reach, same as most of the recent changes to BT.

Regardless, hopefully you will be a continued presence here to communicate info.

BO

I find the stereotype that people in my age group lack familiarity with computer stuff to be offensive.

BTW, what's a blog?