Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Blog re: Guru changes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
cards wrote:
Sadly, I have to 100% agree with Dante on this one. I find it funny that you "crossed the line at times". You crossed the line everyday with your newbie bashing. At least now newbies can have their questions answered without fear of you ripping their guts out because you thought their question was stupid or something they could look up on their own.

Why is it my fault that most newbies were poor ignorant saps that deserved it? :twisted: :D

BO

Well, IMO some of those "poor ignorant saps" damned well deserved to be told that they could/should have taken just a lil time to look through FAQs before hijacking threads to ask their questions. If those "poor ignorant saps" were capable of taking a lil time to selfishly hijack a thread, then they were also capable of taking just a lil more time to look through FAQs, such as they might have been.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
BUD wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:
But they were certainly entertaining!

I'll 2nd that.

I didn't think the BT forums were that bad, so there was a few complainers and malcontents...so what.
Deal with it..... the rest of the discussions and game info were just fine.

Maybe I just ignored the other stuff. I thought it was a fine way to get info and it was entertaining, guess BT brass didn't think so.

Yeah, they were entertaining until someone threatened to kill someone else. :roll:

Threatened to KILL someone?.....now that MUST have been Very entertaining.

I missed that one. Who was to be killed? and by whom? :twisted:
If they didn't live in the same town, I'd say it's just a bunch of internet BS, happens all the time. Don't lose any sleep over those type of comments. :lol:

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

So.....who was to be killed? and what was the outcome? Banned or not?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 pm 
Himself Fodder

BUD wrote:

I was under the impression it was the LEWSER/HUMBUG feud. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

BO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm 
Golden Tee Master

BUD wrote:

Since one person actually committed suicide (for reasons outside trivia), it would be best not to go
into details.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

stevej84 wrote:
Dante wrote:
FrankC wrote:
I know you are new, but have you heard of the BT Forum which was part of BT's website? There were hundreds of post there everyday from thousands of dedicated BT trivia players. BT had a great communications forum and trash caned it.

Are you being serious? The Buzztime forums started great, but became a hellhole of trash, insults, and garbage, mostly from the same two dozen people, most of whom spent the vast majority of their time bashing anyone who wasn't "old school." Is was the exact opposite of what a business would want for their client base.

They went from something useful and neat to a constant litany of negativity. The amount of resources drained to keep up with it were clearly not worth the incredibly minimal benefit retained from them -- that is, the benefit of communicating with the same 24 angry, stubborn players who posted there regularly.

If you really believe it was a great communications vehicle, you are looking at through rose-colored glasses.

Wholeheartedly agree.

For the last six months of its existence, the BT forums were a detriment to the games and ultimately the corporation as a whole. 99% of player base never accessed them..Elimination was a sound business decision.

I

I am astonished at the comments of Dante and Steve here. As someone that was on the BT Forum only for the last year or two of its existence, I would have to agree with Frank and Bo. There were plenty of criticisms of BT, of course, but all were offered as honest opinions and usually with constructive suggestions by people wanting to see NTN/Buzztime succeed. There were occasional jabs by Bo at questions by newbies, but he or others would always come along and help with any honest questions. I thought that there were excellent discussions of most of the issues, with the lack of response by NTN giving their reasoning for many decisions being the main problem. This resulted in some frustration and intemperate comments, but I think if Tom has a way of reviewing the postings of that forum, he will find a rich vein of ideas as to how to improve and increase the customer base of Buzztime.

Of course, that also applies to back postings of this forum. Indeed, except for the rule against newbie-bashing and the permitted use of foul language here, I see little difference in the content of the two fora. Even the number (and identities) of the participants (200-300, about one-half regular posters) is about the same. Like many, I am very thankful to Scar and Dante for providing this forum, but the nature of my postings on it has not changed from those on the BT forum, something that I would say applies to most posters.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am 
Golden Tee Master

Falcon wrote:

I am astonished at the comments of Dante and Steve here. As someone that was on the BT Forum only for the last year or two of its existence, I would have to agree with Frank and Bo. There were plenty of criticisms of BT, of course, but all were offered as honest opinions and usually with constructive suggestions by people wanting to see NTN/Buzztime succeed. There were occasional jabs by Bo at questions by newbies, but he or others would always come along and help with any honest questions. I thought that there were excellent discussions of most of the issues, with the lack of response by NTN giving their reasoning for many decisions being the main problem. This resulted in some frustration and intemperate comments, but I think if Tom has a way of reviewing the postings of that forum, he will find a rich vein of ideas as to how to improve and increase the customer base of Buzztime.

Of course, that also applies to back postings of this forum. Indeed, except for the rule against newbie-bashing and the permitted use of foul language here, I see little difference in the content of the two fora. Even the number (and identities) of the participants (200-300, about one-half regular posters) is about the same. Like many, I am very thankful to Scar and Dante for providing this forum, but the nature of my postings on it has not changed from those on the BT forum, something that I would say applies to most posters.

Falcon,

Nothing against your posts on this forum, but Dante is 100% right on this one. Things were so bad the last 6 months I stopped reading the Buzztime forums. It was still a good place for talking about bashes or traveling to meet other players. But, you had a group of posters that would attack anyone that did not agree with them. It was hardly the place for open discussion of topics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Nothing against your posts on this forum, but Dante is 100% right on this one. Things were so bad the last 6 months I stopped reading the Buzztime forums. It was still a good place for talking about bashes or traveling to meet other players. But, you had a group of posters that would attack anyone that did not agree with them. It was hardly the place for open discussion of topics.

Nothing against Dante or Cards here, but I guess it is all a matter of individual perspective, and I tend to lean toward Falcon on this one. I was one of the bitter-enders on the old BT forum, and actually thought they had improved somewhat by the last few months. Some of that may have been due to people dropping out, some may have been due to the fact that I just tended to ignore the threads that I knew were likely to be vats of vitriol, but I do think that on balance it was better to have the BT forums than not to have them. Not only was it much, much easier to get the attention of someone at BT and know that action had been taken (for example, I believe the thread on correcting question content justified the forum all by itself), but it was also easier to reach the Buzztime Playersphere in a way that you simply cannot do now. Although I had been playing Buzztime avidly for years by 2006, I had never heard of Scaratings 1.0 or BadBart until the Buzztime forums came online--advertised across the system--and saw people discussing them, and I know the same is true of many other people.

The forums also served as a valuable corrective to misapprehensions we had about other teams, and that others had about ours. When we started playing as a team in 2004, we more or less assumed that Grand Slam, A&M Roadhouse, etc., were somehow using trickery to post their great scores in Showdown. When we learned this was not the case with the advent of the BT forums, we were deeply impressed, and then tried to emulate their success. They also served as a valuable medium through which to defend ourselves when some people--quite understandably (I see now) given the nature of our rise and past history of other teams in the area--had accused us of cheating. I really do not think our team would exist in the form it does now were it not for the old Buzztime forums.

Add to this the ease of virtually "meeting" players from everywhere and coordinating paloozas, bashes, and tournaments by reaching the widest possible audience, I still think the net effect of the old BT forums was positive. I can understand why some people, from their own perspective, might remember them as having no redeeming value, but you should probably know that there are also many of us who view them--even with their obvious flaws--much more charitably.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Anon,

To each his own. For me the negatives far exceeded the positives. Today there are several ways to
report issues on the Buzztime site. Start with the help section or you can email directly to the gurus
(or whatever they call themselves) or you can post on the blogs. Much easier than going through the
old forums to find the right topic. Which sometimes had two or three locations with people posting under
different topics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I only had a problem with a couple of people on the old forum. I was tired of the rumors being spread, tired of the put-downs, just plain tired of a certain group. Let me set the record straight (since I have received a couple of emails asking), I never threatened to kill anyone. I did, however give out my address so some could come visit for their deserved beat down. Most arguments I had would be over in a few days, gone and forgotten. Just like anything said on the internet should be. I hardly ever feel the need to apologize for what I say. After all, I must have meant it when I said it, so no reason to apologize for it later.

It wasn't ever hard to figure out my stance on just about anything, just my delivery style is not favored by others. I just tell it like it is, I don't care if I ruffle anybody's feathers, that is just the way I will always be.

In closing: I wear my heart on my sleeves, and anyone who has met me for 10 minutes or longer understands this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Today there are several ways to
report issues on the Buzztime site. Start with the help section or you can email directly to the gurus
(or whatever they call themselves) or you can post on the blogs. Much easier than going through the
old forums to find the right topic. Which sometimes had two or three locations with people posting under different topics.

And I have used the new site to report issues, but it has not seemed to me to be as responsive as the forums were. To report incorrect content on the the old site, there was a dedicated thread under its own heading that not only allowed these things posted (and sometimes debated, which often was educational in its own right), and then eventually a confirmation from a "Buzzie" as to whether the question had been thrown out, changed, or left alone. Now, these things go off into the ether without one knowing if any action at all is taken on it.

Of course, it's water under the bridge now, and BT has bigger issues to face, but all I'm saying is that there were some upsides to the old forums. There are many things I appreciate about this forum, things that make it better in some ways than the old one. But I don't drop in here nearly as often as I used to drop in on the other one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:35 am 
Lotsa Posta

I side with the folks who think the forums weren't nearly that bad, but I'd also purposely ignore some threads. I can understand the Buzzies frustration, though.

I think a major thing missing now (as much as I like Scaratings) is that the BT board provided more of a sense of shared community, vitriol and all. Now with people here, on Facebook, on Twitter, on BadBart and posting private E-mails to the Buzzies so no one else can see any informative response, that sense of community is significantly diminshed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:54 am 
U > 100 * 2

I do miss the old forums but most of the good people from those forums are here now so I'm just glad ol' Uncle Scar started this up. I feel that this forum is the way the BT forums should've been...and were until things started to get out of hand. It was when BT made all those changes to the games in '08 and the forums were instantly flooded with "new" people (new to the forums), all with a chip on their shoulder about the new games. That it was pretty much the beginning of the end for it.
Oh well, it is what it is.
Cheers,
--Tia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
And I have used the new site to report issues, but it has not seemed to me to be as responsive as the forums were. To report incorrect content on the the old site, there was a dedicated thread under its own heading that not only allowed these things posted (and sometimes debated, which often was educational in its own right), and then eventually a confirmation from a "Buzzie" as to whether the question had been thrown out, changed, or left alone. Now, these things go off into the ether without one knowing if any action at all is taken on it.

Of course, it's water under the bridge now, and BT has bigger issues to face, but all I'm saying is that there were some upsides to the old forums. There are many things I appreciate about this forum, things that make it better in some ways than the old one. But I don't drop in here nearly as often as I used to drop in on the other one.

I don't know who holds the record for getting the most questions corrected through the old BT website, but I have to be close to the top... :mrgreen:

I also miss that function of the BT site.
I tried to correct about ten questions earlier this year. I got no response and the four of them that I have seen since then are still not corrected.
Quality control seems to be the least important aspect of BT's current business model.