New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another One Bites The Dust
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The LA Hangout, Lutz Area Fl, just dumped NTN after 10-12 years. A bar that has always been ranked in the top 15 for trivia and the top 10% for activity decided it was too expensive.

Most all other bars will be moving up one slot in the bar trivia rankings. NTN hasn't picked up the equipment yet and they're still listed on the site finder but there have been no games played since 10/28. Most of the players have started moving their points to Boba Louies which will get a nice bump.

I can't understand how such an active ntn site would find that they weren't getting an adequate ROI. But I don't know all the numbers and this ain't a good economy.

RIP, LAH

Post subject: Re: Another One Bites The Dust
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 pm 
Himself Fodder

S O B wrote:
I can't understand how such an active ntn site would find that they weren't getting an adequate ROI. But I don't know all the numbers and this ain't a good economy.

RIP, LAH

Ignorance is bliss amongst owners. Always hate to see to a long-standing site go.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hells bells, another site to add to the "discontinued" list. Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:21 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

A sad day indeed...glad the players have another place to head to for trivia!

S O B wrote:
The LA Hangout, Lutz Area Fl, just dumped NTN after 10-12 years. A bar that has always been ranked in the top 15 for trivia and the top 10% for activity decided it was too expensive.

Most all other bars will be moving up one slot in the bar trivia rankings. NTN hasn't picked up the equipment yet and they're still listed on the site finder but there have been no games played since 10/28. Most of the players have started moving their points to Boba Louies which will get a nice bump.

RIP, LAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The site had 20 players with over 100 games played, many over 500, compared to my site, which has 5.

FWIW-it looks like Huntington, WV is getting a new site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

-BO- wrote:
S O B wrote:

RIP, LAH

Ignorance is bliss amongst owners. Always hate to see to a long-standing site go.

BO

Based on the gameplay that tiefly quoted, the site should be generating enough revenue from the players to cover the operating costs completely. The same can't be said for about half of the sites in the network

One of the biggest mistakes that many bar owners make is assuming that the people playing the game will continue to remain regulars at the establishment when the system is gone. If there is a good substitute in the general area, many will leave.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Plus they had to make up for the free drinks to the top 5 players for making national...

stevej84 wrote:
Based on the gameplay that tiefly quoted, the site should be generating enough revenue from the players to cover the operating costs completely.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:
Plus they had to make up for the free drinks to the top 5 players for making national...

stevej84 wrote:
Based on the gameplay that tiefly quoted, the site should be generating enough revenue from the players to cover the operating costs completely.

Free drinks, something my site will never have to worry about...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The numbers TIEFLY quotes are good and they don't even include several major players that have already transfered out.

The free drink issue there has been changed drastically over the past year. Back then, LAH gave a free drink to every player whenever the bar was #1. During the afternoon play, it wasn't unusual for the bar to be #1 several games in a row. That didn't do much for the bar's bottom line.

The policy was changed to only pay off on Thursdays (the main day for LAH trivia when players would convene from all over the area) and there was a two-freebee maximum per player rule instituted. That was eventually changed to only one free drink per Thursday. None of these reductions reduced the customer base one bit, everybody continued to come and drink just as much as always.

If the owner really believes we're all going to continue to sit there without playmakers, he's going to get a little surprise.

Remember: any bar with NTN is better than any bar without it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:39 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Shoot, another place I was going to get to someday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It appears that The (Just Plain Old) Site-Poor Backyard has taken a step back towards once again becoming Horribly Site-Poor. :cry:

The Morena Club, which had been a more or less regular stop on those Thursdays when I felt like dragging myself out to bang away, appears to have discontinued. Last month's BT and Countdown boards were still up when I arrived earlier today, and I was unable to log in. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
The numbers TIEFLY quotes are good and they don't even include several major players that have already transfered out.

The free drink issue there has been changed drastically over the past year. Back then, LAH gave a free drink to every player whenever the bar was #1. During the afternoon play, it wasn't unusual for the bar to be #1 several games in a row. That didn't do much for the bar's bottom line.

The policy was changed to only pay off on Thursdays (the main day for LAH trivia when players would convene from all over the area) and there was a two-freebee maximum per player rule instituted. That was eventually changed to only one free drink per Thursday. None of these reductions reduced the customer base one bit, everybody continued to come and drink just as much as always.

If the owner really believes we're all going to continue to sit there without playmakers, he's going to get a little surprise.

Remember: any bar with NTN is better than any bar without it.

That reminds me of when I started playing at Alibi's in January of 2000.
A buddy told me to stop by because they had been rewarding players with free drinks for every top 5 bar appearance for quite some time and he had just found out about it. I don't drink booze. But, what the heck, getting people completely plastered sounded like a fun hobby.
Sure enough, every top 5 appearance got a free drink for everyone playing. There were 4 of us and we made the top 5 in 8 games out of 8. (7 afternoon CDs and 1 WO...ah, the good ol' days). I told them I'd be back the next day. Eight regulars showed up. Think the bar made much money that day?
The next day they said only the top five players from the bar got free drinks with a top 5 bar score.
The very next day after that the bar required a top three ranking.
Two days later it was only for number ones.
When I stopped in the following week, the owner told me that we were only allowed to get one round of freebies for a #1 ranking before 5PM and one after.
Three days later it was only one per day for a first place ranking.
The following Monday, the whole free drink deal was scrapped for good.
It only took me two weeks to demolish a gravy train of booze that had been in place for about a year and a half.
How I escape lynching is beyond me... :? :mrgreen:

As to your bar dropping BT; with the amount of trivia regulars that you have, I'm sure that your owner was recouping his investment having BT better than 99% of the other bars out there with it.
Curious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:01 pm 
Octogenarian

Bugsy's Bar and Grill in Parksville BC has dropped Buzztime !

It was a nice little bar only 100 mile roundtrip from my house - lack of interest killed it, no way i can drive during the ice/snow/rain/black ice season

I don't know if the site in Nanaimo is still going but it didnt have the atmosphere that Bugsy's had

Oh well and guess what NO SURPRISE HERE the new Applebees that just opened in Courtenay B C doesnt have the game - i am working on it

merry christmas all

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:29 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

You've really struggled to play our game.

Good luck with Applebys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 am 
U > 100 * 2

tiefly wrote:
Free drinks, something my site will never have to worry about...EGADS!!!

One of the sites near us that sadly doesn't have BT any longer used to advertise "Free beer on the second Tuesday of next week".

Sign me up! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

defined1 wrote:
Bugsy's Bar and Grill in Parksville BC has dropped Buzztime !

It was a nice little bar only 100 mile roundtrip from my house - lack of interest killed it, no way i can drive during the ice/snow/rain/black ice season

I don't know if the site in Nanaimo is still going but it didnt have the atmosphere that Bugsy's had

Oh well and guess what NO SURPRISE HERE the new Applebees that just opened in Courtenay B C doesnt have the game - i am working on it

merry christmas all

Good Luck with the Applebee"s, Defined One. A rival for our Halifax one and some friendly competition might stimulate more interest here.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.