New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trying to figure out why location has no Showdown scores
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:12 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Because it seems that Coaches Pub is still waiting for its new computer to arrive, we're planning on playing Showdown at Ron's Pub tomorrow. However, as I was scouting out who might be local players there, I noticed a very curious thing: although there are game history scores going back 6 months for every other game, Showdown isn't even in the list of games. Yet there are scores for both Brainbuster from a couple of weeks ago and Glory Daze from last week. In fact on April 13, two players known to us from the days of SRO played Brainbuster and GD, and presumably remained at the location in between the games.

I checked to see if perhaps they were playing Countdown as an alternative, but if so it isn't showing up in the CD history.

So, does anyone have an idea as to whether it is more likely that SD is being played there, but due to a computer glitch is just not showing up, or that the location has programmed out the game and the replacement CD games are the ones that aren't showing? For the first time in a long time we've got 5 people coming to play, and although the pickings for alternative locations are slim, I'd rather go elsewhere than have everyone frustrated because we can't get to the main game.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out why location has no Showdown scores
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

If they were using the apps on their phones to play, then they would go dark during Showdown because the app does not support it.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sounds like the Tuesday players at Ron’s are playing from home mostly. Showdown and Spotlight can not play from home on the app. If they were in the bar they would grab a box for SD when the app goes off.

You should be fine as long as you’ve checked that the boxes actually are working there??
Someone been in there in person?

I’ve been in a couple places recently that had good boxes/tablets but they weren’t on, it was phone app only. Maybe part of getting a lower weekly rate from BT? So you got to double check with bars before you go anywhere if you are planning on a Tuesday or Friday night. The phones or IPads working great the rest of the time.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Sounds like the Tuesday players at Ron’s are playing from home mostly. Showdown and Spotlight can not play from home on the app. If they were in the bar they would grab a box for SD when the app goes off.

Some places have opted for the BT "lite" option, which is just the computer, no boxes, and everyone plays on the app. I don't know if this is one of those places, but the effect would be the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
BUD wrote:

Some places have opted for the BT "lite" option, which is just the computer, no boxes, and everyone plays on the app. I don't know if this is one of those places, but the effect would be the same.

I don't know for sure but someone said there are no national rankings on the "Lite" bar systems. They rankings may appear online the next day. I haven't looked into any of that.

I guess Aardvark didn't go to Ron's on Tuesday?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm 
Lotsa Posta

The virtual sites do not show or share national rankings while playing. Scores do show up on their individual profile, the next day. I'm really not sure about the rankings as I have not played a premium game at the site. Searching farther, I do see a score from Six at the virtual site.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
The virtual sites do not show or share national rankings while playing. Scores do show up on their individual profile, the next day. I'm really not sure about the rankings as I have not played a premium game at the site. Searching farther, I do see a score from Six at the virtual site.

Thanks for that info Bobby. I’m a little confused on what you mean by virtual site? Are you talking about buzztime virtual site #20 Carlsbad and the other 3 in TX, NY and FL? Or are you talking about the many no box Lite sites? Those Lite sites do have a small box that hooks into a TV to see the games and of course are at real sites. I wouldn’t call those virtual just a cheap half ass version of the full Elite system.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I was referring to both. They seem to have the same rules. We used to have a local no box site that behaved the same.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

BUD wrote:

I guess Aardvark didn't go to Ron's on Tuesday?

No, we didn't play anywhere. By going through the handful of remaining locations in Houston, I was able to find an alternative location that had at least recent Spotlight scores, but the rest of the team decided they'd rather just meet us for live trivia on Thursday. Coaches Pub now has its new computer installed so Jim/COOGS and I will be able to go back there on Tuesday, unless everyone is interested in a location suggested by another team member that's a bit farther out and will be more affected by rush hour traffic than we'd like, but is showing recent Showdown play.

I'm going to keep an eye on Ron's Pub. It now looks as though regulars from other locations are converging on Coaches, probably because they do have boxes. With people now getting out and about again in steadily growing numbers, I would think locations that settled for the "lite" version might upgrade rather than lose players to the full-fledged systems.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses to my question---you saved us from what would have been a very frustrating evening.

Brooke/AARDVK