New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do you have a blog?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 pm 
Phosphorus

Hey Buzztime Players-

We're on the hunt for a new promotion that is in the early stages. We are hunting for blogs that discuss Buzztime; good, bad or otherwise. If you know of any player blogs, please send them our way. Feel free to post them here and expect news on this in the next few months.

Tom

Post subject: Re: Do you have a blog?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hi, Tom--good to hear from you.

They are not exactly blogs, but Scaratings.com and Donrdenton.com discuss Buzztime almost exclusively. There are also a few Buzztime team websites run by players, too (like ohio-trivia.info). Were you looking for more traditional blogs, or any frequently-updated player-run website?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm 
Phosphorus

Anon- this is a great start. We are looking for it all. With all the changes over the last few years, we want to make sure everyone feels comfortable and that we extend a hand of friendship to each and every player and site, providing them with resources and giving them credit early and often.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ayschucks wrote:
Anon- this is a great start. We are looking for it all. With all the changes over the last few years, we want to make sure everyone feels comfortable and that we extend a hand of friendship to each and every player and site, providing them with resources and giving them credit early and often.

I see. If I think of anything else--for example, I forgot to mention BadBart earlier--I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There are no blogs to speak of. Just this site and the Badbart yahoo group. And Don Denton's stats site of course.

Keep in mind Tom, that the average age of BT players is a lot older than you may think. :lol:

Us old geezers of our late 30s got no stinkin blogs. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Scaratings Tom. What other things can we look forward to "game wise" coming out of Carlsbad in the future?

Thanks for any hints at all.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Phosphorus

Bud

Appreciate the feedback. I may be newer to the Buzztime community but I think out of the thousands and thousands of players we probably have a number of bloggers, just haven't found them yet.

I've been out to a number of events the last few months and players and ages constantly surprise me. Young, old, hip and less hip. Tech savvy and the tech-phobic types but they all are smart, thoughtful people who value knowledge. Not every player will communicate the same way and we are working to build the tools to communicate to every player they way they would like.

Per revelations, nothing I can report this moment but I assure you if my tongue slips, you'll be the first to know.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

ayschucks wrote:
Bud

Appreciate the feedback. I may be newer to the Buzztime community but I think out of the thousands and thousands of players we probably have a number of bloggers, just haven't found them yet.

I've been out to a number of events the last few months and players and ages constantly surprise me. Young, old, hip and less hip. Tech savvy and the tech-phobic types but they all are smart, thoughtful people who value knowledge. Not every player will communicate the same way and we are working to build the tools to communicate to every player they way they would like.

Per revelations, nothing I can report this moment but I assure you if my tongue slips, you'll be the first to know.

Tom

Again, this goes back to knowing your core demographic. Your core demographic is 35+, more old school, and not overly hip. These types of people do not blog. Blogging is hip, being a hardcore BT players is not hip, just the opposite actually. Your bloggers that play BT are the casual players that wouldn't be caught dead blogging about being a part time trivia geek.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is exactly the thinking that has driven many of your core demographic away. The people in Carlsbad eventually have to understand that bloggers and twitterers have no interest in your product.

BO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:26 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is exactly the thinking that has driven many of your core demographic away. The people in Carlsbad eventually have to understand that bloggers and twitterers have no interest in your product.

BO

While I agree with you about the core demographic, it's worth pointing out it's much more likely the core demographic will be dying of old age and alcoholism than the people they are targeting, and that such targeting is necessary as a long-term strategy to maintain some sort of player base down the road.

But, yes, focusing entirely on Twitter and blogs is most likely not the most effective solution at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:30 pm 
Himself Fodder

Dante wrote:
While I agree with you about the core demographic, it's worth pointing out it's much more likely the core demographic will be dying of old age and alcoholism than the people they are targeting, and that such targeting is necessary as a long-term strategy to maintain some sort of player base down the road.

But, yes, focusing entirely on Twitter and blogs is most likely not the most effective solution at this time.

I think we're basically on the same page. In this day and age every company needs the social media pages. But in the case of BT, it will only reach an incredibly small percentage of their demographic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get a colonoscopy before my AA meeting. :D

BO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:07 am 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:

HAHAHA, you're so funny, wait did you just describe yourself? Actually, it's more than just dying off. I have noticed several people in the top 1000 players plus points dropping off due to inactivity. I would say job loss, changing interests, moving to areas with no trivia and locations that drop trivia play a big part in the changes of the older core demographic. Buzztime has to find a way to bring in younger customers in order to survive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Dante wrote:

HAHAHA, you're so funny, wait did you just describe yourself? Actually, it's more than just dying off. I have noticed several people in the top 1000 players plus points dropping off due to inactivity. I would say job loss, changing interests, moving to areas with no trivia and locations that drop trivia play a big part in the changes of the older core demographic. Buzztime has to find a way to bring in younger customers in order to survive.

No need to target the twenty somethings now. Target them in 10 years when they hit 30 and are sitting on a bar stool ready to play BT. Most have no interest now, so don't waste the time. It's more important to target the 30/40 year olds that aren't playing yet but are sitting right there on the bar stools. Get them to pick up a box.

Get them into the games with content they might like, not Britney Spears pop entertainment crap.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:05 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

If you type buzztime blogs into Google search you get responses such as:

http://empoprise-ntn.blogspot.com/

http://www.insanegambler.com/buzztime-trivia.php

http://indianapolisamy.typepad.com/indy ... rowns.html

http://www.yelp.com/list/where-to-play- ... ia-chicago

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Targetting 20s and teens is fine and dandy. Using social media to help do so is a good idea even. It's just trying to make it into a cool social event for those groups or indeed others that is pointless. At least for the trivia channel anyway. That may fly for short term poker players but trivia is never going to be cool or attract those who care about being perceived that way by the younger set. However cool and hip some players may be - although I have met precious few who are - their playing trivia sure as hell isn't. No amount of match the rap star Six rounds will change that either. All you can get is trivia geeks of any age. Not focusing on that group and not slanting your appeal to them is the silly part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:30 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Rhino wrote:
Targetting 20s and teens is fine and dandy. Using social media to help do so is a good idea even. It's just trying to make it into a cool social event for those groups or indeed others that is pointless. At least for the trivia channel anyway. That may fly for short term poker players but trivia is never going to be cool or attract those who care about being perceived that way by the younger set. However cool and hip some players may be - although I have met precious few who are - their playing trivia sure as hell isn't. No amount of match the rap star Six rounds will change that either. All you can get is trivia geeks of any age. Not focusing on that group and not slanting your appeal to them is the silly part.

Which is exactly why they should be targeting high school and college academic teams, people who visit FunTrivia and other Jeopardy like sites, etc.

They have correctly identified the continuing need to addict their players to their game. Competition and the subsequent rush from it is often lost when people graduate from either institution.

There are tens of thousands of young nerds nationwide that could be targeted who are much, much more likely to play.

And, for what it's worth, many college academic teams have a "Trash" league which is exactly the pop culture stuff Buzztime is throwing in -- might be able to get those people with the pop culture questions, depending how you target it.

With a realistic playerbase of only a few thousand, it doesn't require picking up more than 1% of those players a year to sustain their current numbers.