New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: I checked my "last few posts"...
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Yeah, umm, these last few posts might get that lil hobbit known as Dante to raise an eyebrow... Just sayin'.

I checked my "last few posts", and other than the free state issued I.D. card post, that some might have read more into than was there, I really don't see any of my last few posts that could be considered politically objectionable. Actually, I don't think the free state issued I.D. card is a political question. It's a question of logic.

p.s. For any, who may have read more into my free state issued I.D. card post than what I said, I left out my solution to this problem. I think it would be a good idea for states to provide free transportation for those, who are unable to get out to pick their free I.D. to get them. I would have to think that would satisfy everybody.

Post subject: A sweet tooth dilemma...
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Every once in a while my sweet tooth tells me to buy something at the grocery store that tastes good.

Here's my dilemma:

The government tells me that sugar will kill me, and then it tells me that all of the sugar substitues will kill me too. Dang, what am I gonna do...?

Does this mean that I will have to eat broccoli, zucchini, and Brussels sprouts until they put me six feet under...?

"Too much sugar and too many sugar substiutes will put you into this early grave, Cloudy."

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun May 04, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A sweet tooth dilemma...
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Every once in a while my sweet tooth tells me to buy something at the grocery store that tastes good.

Here's my dilemma:

The government tells me that sugar will kill me, and then it tells me that all of the sugar substitues will kill me too. Dang, what am I gonna do...?

You were expecting immortality?

-- RWM

Post subject: Hmm, immortality...
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
You were expecting immortality?-- RWM

Hmm, immortality...

So far it's been working for me. I can't believe that I've lived this long. I'm started to think that drinking beer is the secret to immortality, just as long as you don't drink and drive. :lol:

"Forget the sweets. Beer just might be the trick old man."

Post subject: Re: Chip the Bartender
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Beer is now cheaper than gas, Drink... Don't Drive. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Happy Birthday Cloudy, you old fart. :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear aboot the tooth thing. Maybe this will cheer you up a bit...

Attachment:
HB Cloudy.jpg
HB Cloudy.jpg [ 188.69 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Post subject: Thanks ICEMAN...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Happy Birthday Cloudy, you old fart. :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear aboot the tooth thing. Maybe this will cheer you up a bit...

Attachment:
HB Cloudy.jpg

Thanks ICEMAN, only you, my lady friend, and my youngest daughter took the time to wish me happy birthday.

p.s. My tooth problem was cured with antibiotics my lady friend had. It probably saved me about a thousand bucks at the dentist's office, and now that the dental problem has been taken care of, I can still eat solid food.

Post subject: Washington Redskins controversy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Recently the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office by a 2 to 1 vote found that the Washington Redskins name and logo were offensive, and that the team's trademark protection would be revoked. This does not mean that the Washington Redskins football team cannot continue to use them. It does mean that anyone and everyone, who wants to use them are free to do so.

What the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office has done is to open the door for the offensive name and logo of the Washington Redskins to become far more widespread than they already are.

Obviously the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office thinks that the Washington Redskins will throw the towel in, and change their name and logo. However, if the Redskins don't, and the ruling stands, their attempt to force political correctness on the Redskins will actually increase political incorrectness...!

Let's see how much trouble this gets me into. :roll:

Post subject: You're joshing me...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

How many times have you heard or said, "You're joshing me." Does anybody know where the word "joshing" came from. It's an interesting story, which I just learned today. Yeah, this is a soft trivia question. Please give those, who might actually know the answer a day, before you Google the answer. Guesses are most welcome, and feel to be as funny as you wish with your creative, wild ass, no idea guesses... :lol:

If no one comes up with the answer in a day or so, I'll put some clues up here. :D

Post subject: Re: You're joshing me...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
How many times have you heard or said, "You're joshing me." Does anybody know where the word "joshing" came from. It's an interesting story, which I just learned today. Yeah, this is a soft trivia question. Please give those, who might actually know the answer a day, before you Google the answer. Guesses are most welcome, and feel to be as funny as you wish with your creative, wild ass, no idea guesses... :lol:

If no one comes up with the answer in a day or so, I'll put some clues up here. :D

I'll tell you for a nickel.

Post subject: Pretty cute...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I'll tell you for a nickel.

Pretty cute, ICEMAN, you have told me that you either knew the answer or Googled it. Enough time has gone by that I think you have the green light to tell everyone the answer. It's a great story, and I hope you will tell it all. :D

I don't think you need any clues, because I know that you know the answer, after telling me, "I'll tell you for a nickel." However, I'll toss some clues out there for those, who are still bewildered. Here they are:

1- 1883

2- V

3- U.S. mint

4- Electro plating

5- Atomic number 79

6- Scam

It might be somewhat premature, but I'm gonna proclaim ICEMAN the winner on this one.

p.s. The prize for being the first to answer this trivia question is NOTHING...! :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Deleted duplicate post.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Deleted duplicate post.

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Okay, ICEMAN is the winner...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Okay, ICEMAN is the winner, even though he never told us the full story. I knew he knew the answer, when he said, "I'll tell you for a nickel."

Here is the story behind the word "Josh" or "Joshing" that ICEMAN should have told you all:

In 1883 the U.S. mint came out with a new nickel coin. Nowhere on it did it say "5 cents". Instead, it just had a big "V" on the reverse side. A man by the name of Josh Tatum noticed that it was about the same size as a five dollar gold piece coin, didn't state its value on it, and the obverse side of the coin was very similar to the five dollar gold piece coin.

An idea popped into Josh's head, and he went to a friend, who was into electroplating. Together, they electroplated thousands of nickels with a thin layer of gold, and Josh took off with them to visit as many stores as he could. He would buy something that cost 5 cents, hand the cashier one of his gold plated nickels, get $4.95 in change, and leave. This went on for quite a long time, until the Feds figured out what was going on, caught up with him, and arrested him.

Josh went to trial, but was acquitted. How did he ever escape being convicted? He never told his victims that he was handing them a $5.00 gold piece, they just assumed it was. Why did Josh never verbally misrepresent the bogus $5.00 gold pieces as he handed them to the cashier? Josh was a deaf-mute, and couldn't speak.

Now, is that a true story, or am I just joshing you...? :lol:

p.s. ICEMAN, when you tell me for a nickel, and hand me one of those bogus $5.00 gold pieces, don't expect me to to give you $4.95 in change. :lol:

Post subject: Windows Media Player has a bias...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Windows Media Player has a bias against Christmas.

I have ripped 91 Christmas CDs to my computer using Windows Media Player. When the rip is over, and I check them out, the "Genre" never shows up as "Christmas". It calls them soul, country, jazz, rock, etc., etc. On the CDs that defy being called anything other than "Christmas", the closest Windows Media Player dares to go is to put them into the "Holiday" genre.

(For any, who might think that I'm some kind of religious nut, I will say that I'm about as far from being any kind of Christian religious zealot as can be. Since 1964, the only times I've gone to church have been for weddings and funerals that I was obligated to attend.)

Here's what bothers me, and it comes from a secular point of view, what the Hell is wrong with calling a Christmas CD a Christmas CD? I see Windows Media Player as have been become obsessed with their goofy concept of political correctness to the point where they cannot bring themselves to put Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" album into a genre called "Christmas".

Damn, a Christmas CD is a Christmas CD.

p.s. I do not want this post to lead to some kind of debate about God or religion. If it does, I will not reply. It is merely a comment on how far political correctness is going.

Post subject: Re: Windows Media Player has a bias...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Windows Media Player has a bias against Christmas.

I have ripped 91 Christmas CDs to my computer using Windows Media Player. When the rip is over, and I check them out, the "Genre" never shows up as "Christmas". It calls them soul, country, jazz, rock, etc., etc. On the CDs that defy being called anything other than "Christmas", the closest Windows Media Player dares to go is to put them into the "Holiday" genre.

(For any, who might think that I'm some kind of religious nut, I will say that I'm about as far from being any kind of Christian religious zealot as can be. Since 1964, the only times I've gone to church have been for weddings and funerals that I was obligated to attend.)

Here's what bothers me, and it comes from a secular point of view, what the Hell is wrong with calling a Christmas CD a Christmas CD? I see Windows Media Player as have been become obsessed with their goofy concept of political correctness to the point where they cannot bring themselves to put Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" album into a genre called "Christmas".
Damn, a Christmas CD is a Christmas CD.

p.s. I do not want this post to lead to some kind of debate about God or religion. If it does, I will not reply. It is merely a comment on how far political correctness is going.

Christmas is a holiday. Therefore such music, including "White Christmas" is a Holiday Song, although Christmas Song would be one of the largest subgenres.

I try not to think of Christmas at 3:30 am on a July night. Bah Humbug and good night! :P

-- RWM

Post subject: So far I ony have 91 Christmas CDs, but...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Christmas is a holiday. Therefore such music, including "White Christmas" is a Holiday Song, although Christmas Song would be one of the largest subgenres.

I try not to think of Christmas at 3:30 am on a July night. Bah Humbug and good night! :P

-- RWM

So far I only have 91 Christmas CDs, but they all have something in common. Windows Media Player has not put one of them into a genre called "Christmas". Here is a partial list of the performers' albums I have that specifically use the word "Christmas" in the album's title, and where every song on them is a Christmas song:

Alabama
Alan Jackson
Andy Williams
Barbara Streisand
Barry Manilow
Clint Black
Elvis Presley
Frank Sinatra
Garth Brooks
Henry Mancini
The Jackson Five
Jessica Simpson
Jim Nabors
John Denver
Kenny G
Louis Armstrong
Nat King Cole
NSYNC
Stevie Wonder
The Temptations
Tiny Tim
Wynton Marsalis
The Judds
Bobby Vinton
Faith Hill
Harry Connick, Jr.
George Strait
Kathie Lee Gifford
Justin Bieber

(I will spare you listing all 91 of them, but I'll bet you that outside of my collection of CDs there are probably thousands more.)

They all have something else in common. None of them have a title that calls itself a "Holiday" album.

"One of the largest subgenres" ...? So if "Christmas" albums are just a "subgenre", then I guess that the major "Holiday" genre will include "Veteran's Day". "Labor Day", "Martin Luther King Day", "Independence Day", and "Memorial Day" albums too. (There are only ten national holidays.) :lol:

Yeah, I understand that Christmas is just a holiday, but when it comes to music it stands pretty much all alone, and there really isn't any second place in the "Holiday" genre.

I think the truth of the matter is that Windows Media Player has decided to be politically correct, and that political correctness doesn't allow them to have a genre called "Christmas" because it refers to one particular religion. This idiocy of radical political correctness is permeating our entire culture, and I believe that it threatens benign traditions that are worth preseving, and do no harm to anyone.

Once again, I will say that my defense of Christmas albums does NOT come from any religious beliefs I have.

(Now, don't tell anyone this, but I'm a little bit less religious than an agnostic.) :lol:

Post subject: Man trying to cancel his Comcast service...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

You have to listen to this. It is a recording of a man trying to cancel his Comcast service. (Not recorded, but his wife tried to cancel the service with this Comcast customer service person for over ten minutes, before she handed the phone to her husband to try to get it done.) I know that we have all run into this type of bullshit, but this one takes the cake.

Here is the recording of the conversation the husband had with the Comcast customer service person:

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/nightmare-fo ... l-comcast/

Once again, you MUST listen to this...!!!

p.s. I love it. In despiration, the Comcast customer service person tells the husband that he can save the guy $100 a month near the end of the phone call. Why the Hell didn't Comcast tell this guy about that deal long before he made the phone call to cancel service...?

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: What a terrible tragedy...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Malaysian Airlines flight 17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was knocked out of the sky by a missle made in Russia near the easten border of the Ukraine with Russia, as I'm sure you all know know.

I've heard people saying that the airliner should never have flown over the Ukraine, because of the hostilities that were going on between Russian sepratists and Ukranian nationals. This is nuts, flight 17 was at 33,000 feet following a great circle route, as any plane flying from the Netherlands to Malaysia would have taken. At that altitude, no one would have been concerned about what was happening on the ground over 6 miles below them.

As I understand it the Russians have recovered the plane's black box, so I guess they will tell us everything that they get off of it.

p.s. I'm impressed with Russia's ability to get the black box from a crashed airliner from another country, before anybody else.

(Belated edit: If you can believe what you hear on the news, I now understand that the Russians didn't get the black boxes, and the British now have them.)

Post subject: Setting things right...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The United States has stolen territory from a lot of other countries over the years. So much that it is hard to keep track of it all. However, two of our presidents have tried to set things right. Jimmy Carter returned the Canal Zone to Panama. Richard Nixon gave Okinawa back to the Japanese. I think in keeping with setting things right, that Barack Obama should return California to Mexico. :lol:

p.s. Carter kind of screwed up. Actually, he should have given the Canal Zone and all of Panama back to Columbia, which we stole them from.

(Let's see how much trouble this gets me into.)

Post subject: Re: Setting things right...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
The United States has stolen territory from a lot of other countries over the years. So much that it is hard to keep track of it all. However, two of our presidents have tried to set things right. Jimmy Carter returned the Canal Zone to Panama. Richard Nixon gave Okinawa back to the Japanese. I think in keeping with setting things right, that Barack Obama should return California to Mexico. :lol:

p.s. Carter kind of screwed up. Actually, he should have given the Canal Zone and all of Panama back to Columbia, which we stole them from.

First, we didn't steal the Panama Canal Zone; far from it.
The US paid for that territory and finished building that canal on our dime.
We also bribed... uh, I mean "financed", the new Panamanian government for decades. Decades.
Second, that Panamanian government would never have materialized in the first place without the US providing funds and protection against the Colombians so they could even have a country of their own (the same Colombians whom we also later reimbursed for territory lost to the PCZ, so there goes your backup stolen land theory, Cloudy).

You are correct in that Carter definitely screwed up.
He screwed up because he gave it away for nothing.
We should have been reimbursed for construction costs in adjusted dollars and gotten all of our money back from the last hundred years of propping up various banana republics. Every penny of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 pm 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

We also bribed... uh, I mean "financed", the new Panamanian government for decades. Decades.
Second, that Panamanian government would never have materialized in the first place without the US providing funds and protection against the Colombians so they could even have a country of their own (the same Colombians whom we also later reimbursed for territory lost to the PCZ, so there goes your backup stolen land theory, Cloudy).
We should have been reimbursed for construction costs in adjusted dollars and gotten all of our money back from the last hundred years of propping up various banana republics. Every penny of it.

We didn't "buy" the Canal Zone but we did lease it and in the original agreement we agreed it would revert back to Panama when the lease term was up. Carter merely lived up to our end of the deal. Maybe we should have gotten back our money from United Fruit. :)

Clipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

CLIPPR wrote:
spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

We didn't "buy" the Canal Zone but we did lease it and in the original agreement we agreed it would revert back to Panama when the lease term was up. Carter merely lived up to our end of the deal. Maybe we should have gotten back our money from United Fruit. :)

Clipper

I get what you're saying, Pete. Sure, it was technically a lease.
But "renewable lease in perpetuity" sounds suspiciously like "buying".
And if it had turned out to be a money pit, I'm sure that's exactly how the Panamanians would have interpreted it as well.
I'm just calling a spade a spade here. And if there's one place they should be familiar with spades it should darn well be the Panama Canal. :mrgreen:

I remember a reference to some 99-year interpretation of that agreement, but even by that standard we still had a quarter century left on our deal when we gave it back. I say "gave it back", but, technically, Panama never owned the canal in the first place. That baby was ours.

According to the Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty, we were given rights to "indefinitely administer" the PCZ. Later Panamanian governments challenged the legality of that treaty, but I notice they also never failed to cash the multimillion dollar checks the US sent them every year for it.
Short of getting our money back, we should have taken it apart piece by piece and made them build it themselves. Gee, I wonder how that would have turned out...?
Maybe Lego could have helped them out and had it double as a theme park.

We had to "lease" the land to use our canal, I say they should have to "lease" our canal when they use it. Or pay us its modern worth.
Heaven forbid the US doesn't just keep on giving away all of our expensive toys.

And I was always more a Standard Fruit Company man myself... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Great posts guys, but I have a few comments...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Great posts guys, but I have a few comments.

After Columbia wouldn't let us build the Panama Canal, we instigated and backed a phony revolution for independence in what was to become Panama. Surprisingly, the new country of Panama gave us the go ahead to dig the canal, that de Lesseps and the French were unable to do.

However, what do you think about giving California back to Mexico? I think, if we did, that would solve a lot of problems. :lol:

Post subject: I knocked Jesse Ventura to the floor...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I knocked Jesse Ventura to the floor in a bar fight one night, after I got tired about him mouthing off that Marines were wimps. A knee to his groin, followed by a twisting reverse kick to the back of his knees, sent the big mouth to the floor. As he lied there groaning, I could have permanently put him out of his misery, but I decided to let him live, so we could have a rematch someday.

"Cloudy, you don't fight fair. I ain't gonna give no sea going bellhop, who cheats, no rematch. Expect to be hearing from my lawyers soon."

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-ne ... awsuit.ece

"ST. PAUL, Minn. — A jury awarded former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura $1.8 million on Tuesday in his lawsuit against the estate of “American Sniper” author Chris Kyle.

On the sixth day of deliberations, the federal jury decided that the author of the 2012 best-selling book defamed Ventura in its description of a bar fight in California in 2006. Kyle, regarded as the deadliest military sniper in U.S. history, wrote that he decked a man whom he later identified as Ventura after the man allegedly said the Navy SEALs “deserve to lose a few.”

Ventura testified that Kyle fabricated the passage about punching him. Kyle said in testimony videotaped before his death last year that his story was accurate.

Legal experts had said Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, had to clear a high legal bar to win, since as a public figure he had to prove actual malice. According to the jury instructions, Ventura had to prove with “clear and convincing evidence” that Kyle either knew or believed what he wrote was untrue, or that he harbored serious doubts about its truth..."

p.s. I expect Mr. Ventura will sic his lawyers on me for defaming his character. However, I will defend myself in court, and base my defense on the argument that a total idiot and fool as Jesse Ventura is, has no character to be defamed. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Ventura is a douche. When Kyle died, did he drop the lawsuit? No, he went after his heir, his wife.

Jesse Ventura is a classless POS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next