New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
Nomar wrote:
It was cool to see the Colt 45 uniforms tonight.

The owner should've stick to his guns and rename the Astros. It could've revert back to the Colt 45's but I guess that name is like the Washington Bullets, NO GUNS OR BULLETS will EVER be a sports name again.

When I first heard that the Washington Bullets were changing their name so as not to reflect a culture of crime and immorality I just assumed that they would simply go by "Bullets". :mrgreen:

Post subject: THE WORLD SERIES
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Why is Fox Sports torturing us with that idiot McCarver??? :evil:

Famous Barry's... Barry Manilow? Really?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

i'm lucky..i can watch the international feed which has Rick Suttcliffe doing the color commentary instead of McCarver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE GIANTS WIN THE SERIES!

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Any chance the Giants will take Dusty Baker back so the Reds may actually have a chance at winning a World Series while they still have all this talent?
You know people out there, LJ. Help a brother out... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:

Well, that's really original! :roll:

Although I was (kind of) rooting for Detroit, congratulations to the Giants on their championship. They were a long time overdue until 2010 and now they are champions two years out of three.

Now that baseball season is over, I'll wait for hockey season to (maybe) start; otherwise, the hell with it. :twisted:

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Infield Fly Rule will be my memories of this years playoffs.

Post subject: Home Plate
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

There is absolutely NO Googling allowed on this question. Everyone cross your hearts and hope to die that your answer will be yours, and yours alone. Promise...?

What are the dimensions of home plate in baseball, and what part of home plate is not included in the measurement?

......................................................................... Image

.........................................................................................................Image

...................................................................................... When and if I find home plate with my candle, I will say, Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: Steroid superstars will soon be coming up for the HOF...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Some steroid superstars will soon be coming up for consideration to induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. It will be interesting to see if they make it. Their numbers say that they should get in, but will they...?

Post subject: Re: Steroid superstars will soon be coming up for the HOF...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Some steroid superstars will soon be coming up for consideration to induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. It will be interesting to see if they make it. Their numbers say that they should get in, but will they...?

You just want to open up all the cans of worms, don't you? :lol:

Frankly, although neither person will ever known as Mr. Nice Guy, and there will always be suspicions of their involvement in performance-enhancing drugs, I think that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens will ultimately make the HoF. Their careers are so overwhelming that I'm sure they would have easily put up HoF numbers whether they had taken these drugs or not. I also think that, five years after his retirement, that A-Fraud makes the Hall.

For everyone else, the waters are murkier, and I will not make predictions on whether or not they make the Hall. But a few will undoubtedly be enshrined.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It would be a bit of a statistical oddity if Bonds doesn't make it on the first ballot. It would mean that the four men to have surpassed Ruth's single season record of 60 HRs are all eligible for the HOF but have been denied entry.
Bonds was a major tool before his use of steroids was even in question. He definitely wasn't making many friends among fans or reporters starting pretty early in his career at any rate. I suspect a lot of writers will use his alleged substance issue as reinforcement/substitute of earlier impressions to keep him out. He'll make it in at some point. But if Dimaggio and Foxx had to wait until their third ballot to make it in, I don't have any problem with a guy like Bonds waiting a while.
The HOF currently contains a significant number of pitchers that doctored the ball both blantantly and surreptitiously. It also has five admitted bat corkers. It also contains numerous players that bent or broke the rules during game play in a variety of ways that are both well-documented and egregious.
I'm not even going to bother to include all of the men in the HOF that performed while on drugs during their career, either alcoholic or chemical, of a non-steroidal nature.
Why should anyone even notice if a couple of suspected roiders were added to the mix?

Post subject: Maybe the time has come...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
It would be a bit of a statistical oddity if Bonds doesn't make it on the first ballot. It would mean that the four men to have surpassed Ruth's single season record of 60 HRs are all eligible for the HOF but have been denied entry.
Bonds was a major tool before his use of steroids was even in question. He definitely wasn't making many friends among fans or reporters starting pretty early in his career at any rate. I suspect a lot of writers will use his alleged substance issue as reinforcement/substitute of earlier impressions to keep him out. He'll make it in at some point. But if Dimaggio and Foxx had to wait until their third ballot to make it in, I don't have any problem with a guy like Bonds waiting a while.
The HOF currently contains a significant number of pitchers that doctored the ball both blantantly and surreptitiously. It also has five admitted bat corkers. It also contains numerous players that bent or broke the rules during game play in a variety of ways that are both well-documented and egregious.
I'm not even going to bother to include all of the men in the HOF that performed while on drugs during their career, either alcoholic or chemical, of a non-steroidal nature.
Why should anyone even notice if a couple of suspected roiders were added to the mix?

Maybe the time has come to reconsider Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson. Maybe even Denny McLain deserves reconsideration...? :D

Post subject: Re: Maybe the time has come...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Maybe the time has come to reconsider Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson. Maybe even Denny McLain deserves reconsideration...? :D

I have always felt that Pete Rose should have been inducted, and I also think Joe Jackson probably should be as well. Other than for his 31-win season in 1968, I don't think Denny McLain has the criteria for a Hall-of-Famer.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: Maybe the time has come...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Since those guys would bypass the journalists and go directly to the veterans committee, their chances would improve dramatically. I suspect 75% of modern hacks haven't the slightest inkling about Joe Jackson's ability let alone would vote him in.
I think the HOF would be better served by eliminating the current system of writers voting for candidates. They should rather appoint a committee of baseball historians, a la the veterans committee, to select honorees. It would sure curb the modern trend of voting in guys like Roberto Alomar on the first ballot. I think they would "guard the gates" more like the old-time sports writers from the 40s & 50s.
Given their greater anonymity, I suspect they would also be much less susceptible to public hysteria like modern hacks.
Aw, heck! Who am I kidding?
They should just appoint me to pick who's in the HOF and get it over with! :mrgreen:

Post subject: I agree...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Since those guys would bypass the journalists and go directly to the veterans committee, their chances would improve dramatically. I suspect 75% of modern hacks haven't the slightest inkling about Joe Jackson's ability let alone would vote him in.
I think the HOF would be better served by eliminating the current system of writers voting for candidates. They should rather appoint a committee of baseball historians, a la the veterans committee, to select honorees. It would sure curb the modern trend of voting in guys like Roberto Alomar on the first ballot. I think they would "guard the gates" more like the old-time sports writers from the 40s & 50s.
Given their greater anonymity, I suspect they would also be much less susceptible to public hysteria like modern hacks.
They should just appoint me to pick who's in the HOF and get it over with! :mrgreen:

I agree, SPOTES can do the job. Better yet, with him in charge, we will probably get a few more Boston Red Sox into the Hall of Fame. :D

Post subject: Re: I agree...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I agree, SPOTES can do the job. Better yet, with him in charge, we will probably get a few more Boston Red Sox into the Hall of Fame. :D

Hmmm... the Pinky Higgins wing of the HOF... the sound of that falls pleasantly upon the ears... :mrgreen:

Post subject: "Down at Fenway Park"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Hmmm... the Pinky Higgins wing of the HOF... the sound of that falls pleasantly upon the ears... :mrgreen:

Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon is on our side, SPOTES.

This isn't what I wanted, but here's the the best link I could find to the song. (It's just gives you a snippet of "Down at Fenway Park.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFH5m_nhHk

..................................................................................................... Image

"Though I've passed over, I still monitor Red Sox fans' posts on the "ScaRatings". We've got almost all of the Red Sox greats up here, and just about all of us are going to pick up Freddy Cannon's "Down at Fenway Park" CD. :D

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Another duplicate post that cannot be deleted...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Another duplicate post that cannot be deleted...

Sorry to waste the space. :(

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: The greatest play in baseball...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here is a link to the greatest play in baseball:

http://agencypages.net/AgencyPages/11-52/

(When it comes up just click in the middle of the blank screen if it doesn't start right up.)

I wonder where that flag is today.

Post subject: Re: The greatest play in baseball...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

According to the Wikipedia article on Rick Monday, "Monday still has the flag he rescued from the protestors; he has been offered up to $1 million to sell it, but has declined all offers."

Post subject: A million bucks...!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

According to the Wikipedia article on Rick Monday, "Monday still has the flag he rescued from the protestors; he has been offered up to $1 million to sell it, but has declined all offers."

A million bucks...! WOW !

Patriot and lover of baseball that I am, I would like it to wind up in Cooperstown.

p.s. Patriot and lover of baseball that I am, I must confess that I would have taken the million bucks. :lol:

Post subject: Here's a picture...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a picture...

Post subject: Unintended duplicate post..
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Unintended duplicate post, with no option to delete it. Rather than waste this space, here are two pictures of Rick Monday's baseball cards:

Image ..........Image

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A million bucks...!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

A million bucks...! WOW !

Patriot and lover of baseball that I am, I would like it to wind up in Cooperstown.

p.s. Patriot and lover of baseball that I am, I must confess that I would have taken the million bucks. :lol:

I would guess that Rick Monday, after a 19-season career, is comfortably off, and therefore the million dollars means relatively less to him. (And his career ended before baseball player's salaries went insanely high.)

I saw Rick Monday the first time I ever saw a MLB game. It was at Riverfront Stadium, and the Reds were playing the Cubs. I think Rick Monday hit a home run in that game; the Cubs won 7-2; this was in 1973. (Belated Edit - he didn't. José Cardinal hit one for the Cubs and Johnny Bench for the Reds.)

-- RWM

p.s. - Cloudy, are you posting duplicates again?

Last edited by zog741 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. All I want for this year, is for both The Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants to have decent years...

and for those eternally damnable FBOSOX to suck!!

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next