New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pitcher wins and loses the same game...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I heard this a long time ago, and I believe it to be true. In the minor leagues, a pitcher once won and lost the same game. How could this be...?

I suppose he could pitch the top of the ninth while his team was trailing and then get traded to the other team and instantly pitch for them in the bottom of the ninth and give up the lead.

SPOTES, if the story is true, I think you have a good explanation.

p.s. If a game is suspended in the middle of an inning with men on base, when the game is resumed at a later date, are the runners that were on base placed back on the bases where they were? I'm guessing that they aren't, but I don't know. :?

Post subject: Re: Pitcher wins and loses the same game...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I heard this a long time ago, and I believe it to be true. In the minor leagues, a pitcher once won and lost the same game. How could this be...?

The pitcher got traded mid game while leading, then immediately pitched for the other team and gave up the winning run.

This could happen now in the instance of a suspended game being made up later in the season.

Personally, I have no idea if the above really happened either.

BO, you are right about the suspended game, and the pitcher being traded to the other team before they finished the game, but I don't think your explanation of being both the winning and losing pitcher works.

Yes it does, and I'm not going to take the time and go through all the specifics seeing as how there's no proof given it ever happened.

Post subject: Okay, then you're both right...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Yes it does, and I'm not going to take the time and go through all the specifics seeing as how there's no proof given it ever happened.

Okay, then you're both right. :D

Post subject: A funny baseball story...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a funny baseball story that I heard many years ago. I believe it to be true, but who knows...?

In a minor league game a runner raced to home plate, but failed to touch it. The catcher complained to the umpire that the guy had missed the plate. The umpire told the catcher to tag the guy out, because it wasn't a force play. The catcher looked for the runner, but couldn't find him, because the runner had already returned to the dugout. Not knowing what the runner looked like, the catcher ran over to the other team's dugout, and tagged every player on the bench. I believe that the catcher got the runner.

However, what if the runner had gone to the showers in the locker room, because the manager was going to send in a substitute to replace him...? :lol:

Post subject: Re: A funny baseball story...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Here's a funny baseball story that I heard many years ago. I believe it to be true, but who knows...?

In a minor league game a runner raced to home plate, but failed to touch it. The catcher complained to the umpire that the guy had missed the plate. The umpire told the catcher to tag the guy out, because it wasn't a force play. The catcher looked for the runner, but couldn't find him, because the runner had already returned to the dugout. Not knowing what the runner looked like, the catcher ran over to the other team's dugout, and tagged every player on the bench. I believe that the catcher got the runner.

However, what if the runner had gone to the showers in the locker room, because the manager was going to send in a substitute to replace him...? :lol:

I am not familiar with your story. But if it were true, the catcher need not chase down the runner. My understanding of appeal plays is that runners that have already proceeded to the dugout are out when home plate is touched by a defender with the ball during the appeal. My other understanding of the appeal play is that it absolutely must be initiated by a defensive player and NOT an umpire. I think the offensive team could protest this play and win it becuase of how it originated. This play would be a major fail on the part of the umpire in both execution and understanding of the rule book. That doesn't make this scenario impossible (see this year's level of umpiring for confirmation...), but it certainly makes it seem highly improbable.

Post subject: Damn, now I have to try to Google...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
I am not familiar with your story. But if it were true, the catcher need not chase down the runner. My understanding of appeal plays is that runners that have already proceeded to the dugout are out when home plate is touched by a defender with the ball during the appeal. My other understanding of the appeal play is that it absolutely must be initiated by a defensive player and NOT an umpire. I think the offensive team could protest this play and win it becuase of how it originated. This play would be a major fail on the part of the umpire in both execution and understanding of the rule book. That doesn't make this scenario impossible (see this year's level of umpiring for confirmation...), but it certainly makes it seem highly improbable.

Damn, now I will have to try to Google something from decades ago, which will probably be impossible to find. :(

p.s. I once suggested that you become a TV movie critic. I will now suggest that you think about becoming a major league umpire. I'll bet you know more of the rules than many of them. :lol:

p.p.s The only time I ever umpired a game (softball) was at summer camp back in the mid 1960's. I made one controversial call. The batter hit a slow roller up the first base line, which the 1st baseman fielded, as a runner was trying to score from 3rd base. The player, who hit the ball, saw the 1st baseman starting to throw the ball to home to stop the run from scoring, and jumped into the air with both arms straight up to prevent the 1st baseman from having a good throw to the plate.

I called the batter out for interference with the 1st baseman's throw, and sent the other runner back to 3rd base. There was a big rhubarb, with the guy I called out screaming at me that he never touched anyone or anything, but I held my ground, and my ruling stood. Did I make the right call...?

Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
I'm no umpire (but I do play one on television), I believe your call was correct.

Post subject: Re: Damn, now I have to try to Google...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
spotes wrote:

Damn, now I will have to try to Google something from decades ago, which will probably be impossible to find. :(

p.s. I once suggested that you become a TV movie critic. I will now suggest that you think about becoming a major league umpire. I'll bet you know more of the rules than many of them. :lol:

p.p.s The only time I ever umpired a game (softball) was at summer camp back in the mid 1960's. I made one controversial call. The batter hit a slow roller up the first base line, which the 1st baseman fielded, as a runner was trying to score from 3rd base. The player, who hit the ball, saw the 1st baseman starting to throw the ball to home to stop the run from scoring, and jumped into the air with both arms straight up to prevent the 1st baseman from having a good throw to the plate.

I called the batter out for interference with the 1st baseman's throw, and sent the other runner back to 3rd base. There was a big rhubarb, with the guy I called out screaming at me that he never touched anyone or anything, but I held my ground, and my ruling stood. Did I make the right call...?

A runner may be called out for interference if an attempt is made to impede the defensive team in making a play. The runner need not be successful in this attempt for the umpire to call him out. Your call was spot on.
Here's a fun addendum to your original appeal play. If the scoring team was certain that their runner had not touched the plate before entering the dugout and there was less than two outs, the runner on first could have left first and tried to go to second and third. If the defensive team made an attempt to get him out before appealing at the plate, the run would have counted as an appeal must be made immediately before making any other plays. He would essentially be giving up his out for the run.

Post subject: Thanks for the support...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
I'm no umpire (but I do play one on television), I believe your call was correct.

Thanks for the support ICEMAN. I wish you could have been there to back me up that day so many years ago.

Post subject: Re: Damn, now I have to try to Google...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
A runner may be called out for interference if an attempt is made to impede the defensive team in making a play. The runner need not be successful in this attempt for the umpire to call him out. Your call was spot on.

Here's a fun addendum to your original appeal play. If the scoring team was certain that their runner had not touched the plate before entering the dugout and there was less than two outs, the runner on first could have left first and tried to go to second and third. If the defensive team made an attempt to get him out before appealing at the plate, the run would have counted as an appeal must be made immediately before making any other plays. He would essentially be giving up his out for the run.

Thanks, SPOTES, your and ICEMAN's confirmations that I made the correct call mean a lot to me.

p.s. I still think that you should consider becoming a major league umpire, as well as getting your own TV movie critic show. Hell, you could do them both... :lol:

Post subject: So far, how many Alaskans have made it...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

So far, how many Alaskans have made it into major league baseball?

Post subject: Re: So far, how many Alaskans have made it...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

How would you define "Alaskan?"

The only Alaskan-born player I know of is Curt Schilling, but his Wikipedia page states that he is one of 11 people who have played Major League Baseball who were born there.

-- RWM

Post subject: You got it...!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

How would you define "Alaskan?"

The only Alaskan-born player I know of is Curt Schilling, but his Wikipedia page states that he is one of 11 people who have played Major League Baseball who were born there.

-- RWM

You got it...! The answer is 11. I have no idea, who the other 10 are, but Curt Schilling says that there have only been 11, in a Public Service Radio announcement about autism in kids, that has been running for at least a year. (Schilling has an autistic child.)

p.s. I tried to Google Schilling's Public Service radio announcement, but I couldn't find it.

p.p.s. How do I define Alaskan? I would guess they would have been born in Alaska, but a better person to ask would be Curt Schilling. He is the source of this factoid.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: You got it...!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
p.p.s. How do I define Alaskan? I would guess they would have been born in Alaska, but a better person to ask would be Curt Schilling. He is the source of this factoid.

I was born in Massachusetts, but I do not regard myself as a Bay Stater as I have never lived there.

Presumably Curt Schilling had lived in Alaska, but I don't really know his personal history and I'm not that nosy. ;) Your question could have been phrased, "How many current or former Major League Baseball players were born in Alaska?"

-- RWM

Post subject: Shucks, you got it right...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I was born in Massachusetts, but I do not regard myself as a Bay Stater as I have never lived there.

Presumably Curt Schilling had lived in Alaska, but I don't really know his personal history and I'm not that nosy. ;) Your question could have been phrased, "How many current or former Major League Baseball players were born in Alaska?"

-- RWM

Shucks you got it right, despite my poor wording of the question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Since I'm too lazy to look it up tonight...

A quick question for the baseball-o-philes here...

Do the stats in the All Star game count towards season/career totals?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:40 pm 
Himself Fodder

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Since I'm too lazy to look it up tonight...

A quick question for the baseball-o-philes here...

Do the stats in the All Star game count towards season/career totals?

No.

Look at it another way, last year in the NFL when AP fell a few yards short of the single season rushing record, did he have a chance to get those last few yards in the Pro Bowl?

Last edited by -BO- on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you sir. I figured as much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 am 
Centenarian

I scanned this really fast and did not see it mentioned.

But I saw this and thought it was interesting. Not that it was just baseball. But the Worlds Series. Three ties.
In 1907 Chicago Cubs beat Detroit Tigers went 4-0-1
1912 Boston Red Sox beat NY Giants 4-3-1
1922 NY Giants beat the NY Yankees 4-0-1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, Pirate fans, August has arrived and we know what THAT has meant the past couple (EGADS!!!) of years.

BUT, could this be the year we have a winning season...make the play-offs...go to the series....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

DID YOU KNOW.....Red Sox has lost all games on Ben Affleck's birthday (which is today) since 1999 when he won his Oscar for screenplay writing for "Good Will Hunting"?

LILJOL, i know u want this go to 0-14...lmao

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am 
Himself Fodder

MitchWolf wrote:
DID YOU KNOW.....Red Sox has lost all games on Ben Affleck's birthday (which is today) since 1999 when he won his Oscar for screenplay writing for "Good Will Hunting"?

Somebody just watched SportsCenter. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Yesterday's Rockies-padres game featured one of the most godawful, horrible, laughable examples on how not to run the bases. Of course, it was those sad sack padres that committed those bunglings. :lol:

With runners on 1st & 3rd and no outs, the padres batter hit a hard grounder to the Rockies' 3rd baseman. Instead of staying put to see the ball get through, the padre runner on 3rd inexplicably broke for home, only to find himself at least 30 feet from home when the Rockies' catcher caught the 3rd baseman's throw.

The hapless runner then tried to prolong the rundown, but for some reason stopped running around 10 feet or so from third, at which point the Rockies' catcher tagged him out. Meanwhile, the padre runner that was on 1st, instead of stopping at 2nd, tried to reach 3rd, only to be tagged out by the catcher. :roll:

As tempting as it is to call the padres' bunglings Little League mistakes, I can't, since that would be insulting to Little League. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

Somebody just watched SportsCenter. :D

Yes I Did....They are making a big F'n deal on it....saying its the new Red Sox curse.....smh

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Yesterday's Rockies-padres game featured one of the most godawful, horrible, laughable examples on how not to run the bases. Of course, it was those sad sack padres that committed those bunglings. :lol:

With runners on 1st & 3rd and no outs, the padres batter hit a hard grounder to the Rockies' 3rd baseman. Instead of staying put to see the ball get through, the padre runner on 3rd inexplicably broke for home, only to find himself at least 30 feet from home when the Rockies' catcher caught the 3rd baseman's throw.

The hapless runner then tried to prolong the rundown, but for some reason stopped running around 10 feet or so from third, at which point the Rockies' catcher tagged him out. Meanwhile, the padre runner that was on 1st, instead of stopping at 2nd, tried to reach 3rd, only to be tagged out by the catcher. :roll:

As tempting as it is to call the padres' bunglings Little League mistakes, I can't, since that would be insulting to Little League. :lol:

Little League World Series starts today :) One of the best plays yesterday was Robbie Grossman robbing Chris Young of a game winning home run. The look on Youngs face was priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next