New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The English Language
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've known a few English teachers that were not exactly Playmate material. (Most of them, actually.) But there was one that I had in high school that would have melted that stripper pole. She was maybe late 20's but had an absolutely perfect body. About 12 years too old for me.

-- RWM

Post subject: "The English Language" thread seems to be straying...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I've known a few English teachers that were not exactly Playmate material. (Most of them, actually.) But there was one that I had in high school that would have melted that stripper pole. She was maybe late 20's but had an absolutely perfect body. About 12 years too old for me.

-- RWM

"The English Language" thread seems to be straying off topic, but I will continue this digression. Don't worry about a gal with the perfect body. You will be wasting your time. Just find one, who say's she would really like to go to the pole dancing bar with you. ;)

.......... Image

............. Okay, let's go, but I need to stop by my apartment to change into something more comfortable first.

Perhaps, you might find yourself with this gal instead:

..... Pole dancing sounds like fun to me. Let's go!

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Who" or "That"...?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

When you are writing about somebody, and come to something like this:

"John was a person, that knew a lot about trivia." i've got a feeling that it should be, "John was a person, who knew a lot about trivia."

Does it make any difference, or is "who" a better word to use than "that"...? My thought is that John is a "who", not a "that". :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

As you said: this is getting off-topic.

I posted my opinion of Barack Obama on the "Republican Hopis" :mrgreen: thread, and reviewed it about 15 minutes later. I found an embarrasing example of a dangling modifier: "As a President, I rate Barack Obama a seven..." One can never be too careful.

-- RWM

Post subject: Hell, I'm probably the one, who screwed up...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
As you said: this is getting off-topic.

I posted my opinion of Barack Obama on the "Republican Hopis" :mrgreen: thread, and reviewed it about 15 minutes later. I found an embarrasing example of a dangling modifier: "As a President, I rate Barack Obama a seven..." One can never be too careful.

-- RWM

Hell, I'm probably the one, who screwed up. If it was I, please forgive me. I've found the woman of my dreams, and am no longer hitting on English teachers, who used to help me on this stuff.

p.s. I probably shouldn't tip you off to this, but I can promise you that nurses are probably much more likely to show you a good time than English teachers. Give them a shot, and you will probably owe me a few drinks. :lol:

............... Image

Hi, ZOG. I was hoping to see you again after last night.

p.s. However, don't give up on English teachers. Keep all of your options open.

Post subject: Commas...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I love commas, and I probably overuse them. When I look at a sentence I've written, I try to read it as somebody else might. I often find that it needs a comma or two, so others will understand where the train of thought shifts a little bit. Yeah, sometimes I probably insert an unnecessary comma, every now and then, but I will keep doing it.

I believe it was in 4th grade that my teacher told us that grammarians had changed their minds about putting a comma before the word "and" in a sequence of things in a sentence. (i.e. "The tree was tall, green and very old.") However, I still will stick a comma in before "and", when "and" moves on to another thought, and is not just a conjunction that adds the last description to something.

Anyone got any thoughts about this...?

............ Image

.................. Too many commas, young man. You fail...!

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Commas...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:35 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I love commas, and I probably overuse them. When I look at a sentence I've written, I try to read it as somebody else might. I often find that it needs a comma or two so others will understand where the train of thought shifts a little bit. Yeah, sometimes I probably insert an unnecessary comma, every now and then, but I will keep doing it.

I believe it was in 4th grade that my teacher told us that grammarians had changed their minds about putting a comma before the word "and" in a sequence of things in a sentence. (i.e. "The tree was tall, green and very old.") However, I still will stick a comma in before "and", when "and" moves on to another thought, and is not just a conjunction that adds the last description to something.

............ Image

I as taught that when two or more connected words came before "and" you used a comma before "and". Otherwise no coma. For example "you and me" or "you, me, him, and her", but that was over 50 years ago.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: I'll buy that...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I love commas, and I probably overuse them. When I look at a sentence I've written, I try to read it as somebody else might. I often find that it needs a comma or two so others will understand where the train of thought shifts a little bit. Yeah, sometimes I probably insert an unnecessary comma, every now and then, but I will keep doing it.

............ Image

I as taught that when two or more connected words came before "and" you used a comma before "and". Otherwise no coma. For example "you and me" or "you, me, him, and her", but that was over 50 years ago.

Frank, I'll buy that, but what about the stuff that I was questioning?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

In my last post on this thread, I mentioned dangling modifiers. An hour ago I was listening to the radio to (of all things) Coast to Coast. I heard what was pretty much this:

"...the Sumerians even knew that there was a planet beyond the orbit of Saturn; I think it is now called 'Iraq'."
Priceless.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

This is the infamous "Oxford comma" so named because long after the rest of Britain ceased to use it, the professors at Oxford (the UK version, much older of course, of Harvard) insisted upon it, and as far as I know still do. Why? I have no idea. Possibly one of their faculty around the 14th century invented it. The place is somewhat change-resistant.

I believe but am not positive that most US style manuals still recommend it too. Certainly they did so long after (most) British ones abandoned it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

This is the infamous "Oxford comma" so named because long after the rest of Britain ceased to use it, the professors at Oxford (the UK version, much older of course, of Harvard) insisted upon it, and as far as I know still do. Why? I have no idea. Possibly one of their faculty around the 14th century invented it. The place is somewhat change-resistant.

I believe but am not positive that most US style manuals still recommend it too. Certainly they did so long after (most) British ones abandoned it.

Thanks Rhino, it is nice to know that those old Dominican Nuns tried to teach us inner city kids correct English grammar, spelling, and pronounciation.

Frank

Post subject: "Oxford comma"...?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

"Oxford comma"...? You're out of my league, RHINO. I guess I will have to Google it, so I won't have to feel like an idiot.

........................................................ Image

Post subject: Re: "Oxford comma"...?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Rhino wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

"Oxford comma"...? You're out of my league, RHINO. I guess I will have to Google it, so I won't have to feel like an idiot.

........................................................ Image

I think this may belong here. I stold it from my son-in-law. I think it is funny.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766

Frank

Post subject: Nutty, but pretty damn funny...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
I think this may belong here. I stold it from my son-in-law. I think it is funny.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766

Nutty, but pretty damn funny... :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:03 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Here's a style/useage issue for y'all. There's a firehouse around the corner from our house that has posted on it's sign, "Hang up your American flag." While I'm certain they're trying to encourage patriotic displays, with the impending anniversary of 9/11, I can't help but feel every time I pass the sign that they're telling me to give up my flag, or retire it. Wouldn't, "Display your American flag," or, "Hoist up your American flag," or even ending (gasp) with the preposition, "Hang your American flag up," sound better?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Akbar71 wrote:
Here's a style/useage issue for y'all. There's a firehouse around the corner from our house that has posted on it's sign, "Hang up your American flag." While I'm certain they're trying to encourage patriotic displays, with the impending anniversary of 9/11, I can't help but feel every time I pass the sign that they're telling me to give up my flag, or retire it. Wouldn't, "Display your American flag," or, "Hoist up your American flag," or even ending (gasp) with the preposition, "Hang your American flag up," sound better?

It may have been posted here, in which case I'm just repeating, but I think I saw it somewhere else. Saw an image that said something like:

An Apostrophe:

The difference between a business knowing its shit, and a business knowing it's shit.

:D

Post subject: AKBAR, I absolutely agree with you...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:

AKBAR, I absolutely agree with you. The "Hang up your flag" thing is pretty funny. It is important to chose words that do not lend themselves to the possibility of misinterpretation, when writing something. Especially when the possible misinterpretation delivers a message exactly opposite to what you were trying to say.

Post subject: We are comma fans here...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

It may have been posted here, in which case I'm just repeating, but I think I saw it somewhere else. Saw an image that said something like:

An Apostrophe:

The difference between a business knowing its shit, and a business knowing it's shit.

:D

We are comma fans here. Yes, apostrophes are okay, but the commas have them outnumbered 1,000,000,000 to 1. :lol:

Post subject: The "Nominative Appositive"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Can anybody help me out on the English grammer term, the "Nominative Appositive"? As a freshman student in English class, our instructor used this term. I am pretty damn sure that I know what it means, but I unable to find the term "Nominative Appositive", as such, anywhere on the Internet.

Okay, all you smart guys and gals, and English teachers too, jump on in help me out. Thanks, it is I, who is thanking you. :lol:

Post subject: Re: The "Nominative Appositive"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Can anybody help me out on the English grammer term, the "Nominative Appositive"? As a freshman student in English class, our instructor used this term. I am pretty damn sure that I know what it means, but I unable to find the term "Nominative Appositive", as such, anywhere on the Internet.

Okay, all you smart guys and gals, and English teachers too, jump on in help me out. Thanks, it is I, who is thanking you. :lol:

Try this:

Printer Fabulous!

The Appositive

Recognize an appositive when you see one.

An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that renames another noun right beside it. The appositive can be a short or long combination of words. Look at these examples:

The insect, a cockroach, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large cockroach, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large cockroach with hairy legs, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large, hairy-legged cockroach that has spied my bowl of oatmeal, is crawling across the kitchen table.

Here are more examples:

During the dinner conversation, Clifford, the messiest eater at the table, spewed mashed potatoes like an erupting volcano.

My 286 computer, a modern-day dinosaur, chews floppy disks as noisily as my brother does peanut brittle.

Genette's bedroom desk, the biggest disaster area in the house, is a collection of overdue library books, dirty plates, computer components, old mail, cat hair, and empty potato chip bags.

Reliable, Diane's eleven-year-old beagle, chews holes in the living room carpeting as if he were still a puppy.

Punctuate the appositive correctly.

The important point to remember is that a nonessential appositive is always separated from the rest of the sentence with comma(s).

When the appositive begins the sentence, it looks like this:

A hot-tempered tennis player, Robbie charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

When the appositive interrupts the sentence, it looks like this:

Robbie, a hot-tempered tennis player, charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

And when the appositive ends the sentence, it looks like this:

Upset by the bad call, the crowd cheered Robbie, a hot-tempered tennis player who charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

Printer Fabulous!

Home • Terms • Exercises • Handouts• Rules • Shop • Feedback

©1997 - 2011 by Robin L. Simmons
All Rights Reserved.

The comma again raises its ugly head.

Frank

Post subject: Re: The "Nominative Appositive"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Try this:

Printer Fabulous!

The Appositive

Recognize an appositive when you see one.

An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that renames another noun right beside it. The appositive can be a short or long combination of words. Look at these examples:

The insect, a cockroach, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large cockroach, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large cockroach with hairy legs, is crawling across the kitchen table.

The insect, a large, hairy-legged cockroach that has spied my bowl of oatmeal, is crawling across the kitchen table.

Here are more examples:

During the dinner conversation, Clifford, the messiest eater at the table, spewed mashed potatoes like an erupting volcano.

My 286 computer, a modern-day dinosaur, chews floppy disks as noisily as my brother does peanut brittle.

Genette's bedroom desk, the biggest disaster area in the house, is a collection of overdue library books, dirty plates, computer components, old mail, cat hair, and empty potato chip bags.

Reliable, Diane's eleven-year-old beagle, chews holes in the living room carpeting as if he were still a puppy.

Punctuate the appositive correctly.

The important point to remember is that a nonessential appositive is always separated from the rest of the sentence with comma(s).

When the appositive begins the sentence, it looks like this:

A hot-tempered tennis player, Robbie charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

When the appositive interrupts the sentence, it looks like this:

Robbie, a hot-tempered tennis player, charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

And when the appositive ends the sentence, it looks like this:

Upset by the bad call, the crowd cheered Robbie, a hot-tempered tennis player who charged the umpire and tried to crack the poor man's skull with a racket.

Printer Fabulous!

Home • Terms • Exercises • Handouts• Rules • Shop • Feedback

©1997 - 2011 by Robin L. Simmons
All Rights Reserved.

The comma again raises its ugly head.

Frank, way too much for me tonight. I need to hit the sack. See you tomorrow, Good Lord willing...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Has anyone ever seen Vicor Borge's Phoenetic punctuation routine. He first did it in the 50's or early 60's 0n Ed Sullivan. this is from his later years.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vic ... FORM=VIRE5

Frank

Post subject: I saw Steve Allen do the same thing...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Has anyone ever seen Vicor Borge's Phoenetic punctuation routine. He first did it in the 50's or early 60's 0n Ed Sullivan. this is from his later years.

Many, many years ago I saw Steve Allen do the same thing on his show. I wonder who came up with the idea of giving sounds to punctuation first.

I also remember seeing Steve Allen reciting the Everly Brother's (Possibly Gene Vincent's) hit, "Be-Bop-A-Lula" as a poem. It was a scream.

Damn, I can't believe that I actually found it, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDmzN-K5DKk

(You will also get Fats Domino on this video. I think you will enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: I saw Steve Allen do the same thing...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:

Many, many years ago I saw Steve Allen do the same thing on his show. I wonder who came up with the idea of giving sounds to punctuation first.

I also remember seeing Steve Allen reciting the Everly Brother's (Possibly Gene Vincent's) hit, "Be-Bop-A-Lula" as a poem. It was a scream.

Damn, I can't believe that I actually found it, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDmzN-K5DKk

(You will also get Fats Domino on this video. I think you will enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Fats Domino part the most. Steve Allen did song lyrics many times as poetry on his shows. Steve Allen and I have something in common: We were both taught by the same Domican Nun of course 25 or more years apart. I think Steve Allen was a genius who most people today do not know, but I think he was a product of his time.
His humor was usually very current.

Frank

Post subject: The same Domican Nun...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
I enjoyed the Fats Domino part the most. Steve Allen did song lyrics many times as poetry on his shows. Steve Allen and I have something in common: We were both taught by the same Domican Nun of course 25 or more years apart. I think Steve Allen was a genius who most people today do not know, but I think he was a product of his time.
His humor was usually very current.

Wow... You both had the same Dominican Nun as a teacher...! The best I can do to try to match you on this is that I had an English teacher in Jr. High, who was Rod Serling's aunt. She liked my strange and silly essays. The best I can remember is that her name was Mrs. Brashere. (Spelling ?) Do you remember the Nun's name that you and Steve Allen both had? I'll bet it didn't begin with "Mrs." :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next