New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: "Going forward"...
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Going forward"... How many times have I heard politicians, news reporters, and mutual fund reps use this phrase in speeches, reports, and presentations...? If they were using this phrase in a physical directional sense, I would have no problem with it. However, it is being constantly used in a temporal sense. Damn it, time only moves in one direction... FORWARD!

"The economy should recover, going forward." What a ridiculous statement...! When it comes to time, whether or not the economy recovers going "forward", the only alternative is, "The ecomony should recover, going backward."

If you have any guts (and a lot of job security), next time you are at an office meeting and you hear your boss, use the phrase "going forward" (referring to the future), raise your hand. Once he recognizes you, ask him if you have to worry about time and events going backward. :lol:

p.s. Don't do it. I never did. :lol:

Post subject: When will I ever hear...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

When will I ever hear something back from you guys?

Post subject: "A" or "An"...?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

When do you use "A" or "An" before a word. I think we all must have learned at sometime in our lives that you used "A" in front of words that begin with a consonant, and "An" in front of words that begin with a vowel. NOT SO...! (Yep, most of time that's true, but not always. There are some tricky exceptions.)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/using-a ... ore-words/

"The Rule

The rule states that “a” should be used before words that begin with consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). Notice, however, that the usage is determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling, as many people wrongly assume.

You should say, therefore, “an hour” (because hour begins with a vowel sound) and “a history” (because history begins with a consonant sound).

Similarly you should say “a union” even if union begins with a “u.” That is because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound.

Abbreviations
Deciding which version you should use with abbreviations is the tricky part. First of all you need to understand if the abbreviation is pronounced as a single word or letter by letter.

While we say “a light-water reactor,” the abbreviation is “an LWR.”

Similarly, you should use “an NBC reporter” (because “NBC” is pronounced “enbisi”) and “a NATO authority” (because “NATO” begins with a “ne” sound)."

I only learned this about 9 or 10 years ago, and am embarrassed to think how many times I goofed this up in years gone by. Shucks, I still probably goof it up today.

Dang, I'm thinking that I might benefit from going to night school, and taking (Hell, is it "A" or "An") ESL course. Someone help me here. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "A" or "An"...?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

[quote="Cloudy"]When do you use "A" or "An" before a word. I think we all must have learned at sometime in our lives that you used "A" in front of words that begin with a consonant, and "An" in front of words that begin with a vowel. NOT SO...! (Yep, most of time that's true, but not always. There are some tricky exceptions.)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/using-a ... ore-words/

"The Rule

The rule states that “a” should be used before words that begin with consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). Notice, however, that the usage is determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling, as many people wrongly assume.

You should say, therefore, “an hour” (because hour begins with a vowel sound) and “a history” (because history begins with a consonant sound).

Similarly you should say “a union” even if union begins with a “u.” That is because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound.

Abbreviations
Deciding which version you should use with abbreviations is the tricky part. First of all you need to understand if the abbreviation is pronounced as a single word or letter by letter.

While we say “a light-water reactor,” the abbreviation is “an LWR.”

Similarly, you should use “an NBC reporter” (because “NBC” is pronounced “enbisi”) and “a NATO authority” (because “NATO” begins with a “ne” sound)."

I only learned this about 9 or 10 years ago, and am embarrassed to think how many times I goofed this up in years gone by. Hell, I still probably goof it up today.

Hell, I'm thinking that I might benefit from going to night school, and taking (Hell, it "A" or "An") ESL course. Someone help me here. :lol:[/quo

The A and An Rules were ponded in my head in by the nuns back in the 50's. Anyways in English Y is also a vowel A E I O U and sometimes Y or W are the vowels. we chanted that in the 2nd grade. English is a living evolving language that scholars have being trying to place rules on for 400 years. Anyway It is "A Union because "An Union" sound wrong. Nato is not pronouce Enato but NBC is prounounced Enbisi. The rule applies.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Nice post, but I need more help...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
The A and An Rules were ponded in my head in by the nuns back in the 50's. Anyways in English Y is also a vowel A E I O U and sometimes Y or W are the vowels. we chanted that in the 2nd grade. English is a living evolving language that scholars have being trying to place rules on for 400 years. Anyway It is "A Union because "An Union" sound wrong. Nato is not pronouce Enato but NBC is prounounced Enbisi. The rule applies.

Nice post, but it doesn't help me with my dilemma. "Hell, I'm thinking that I might benefit from going to night school, and taking (Hell, is it "A" or "An") ESL course. Someone help me here."

Is it "A" or "An" that goes in front of ESL...? :?

Post subject: Re: Nice post, but I need more help...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:

Nice post, but it doesn't help me with my dilemma. "Hell, I'm thinking that I might benefit from going to night school, and taking (Hell, is it "A" or "An") ESL course. Someone help me here."

It is "A Hell" unless you think "An Hell" sounds better. English is a living spoken language not like a dead language like Latin, Classical Greek, or Sanskrit. You speak what sounds good.

Frank

Last edited by FrankC on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: "A Hell" is pretty easy, but...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:

It is "A Hell" unless you think "An Hell" sounds better. English is a living spoken language not like a dead language like Latin, Classical Greek, or Sanskrit.

"A Hell" is pretty easy, but that still doesn't answer my dilemma, "Hell, I'm thinking that I might benefit from going to night school, and taking (Hell, is it "A" or "An") ESL course. Someone help me here."

Post subject: "Blond" or "Blonde"...?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Blond" or "Blonde"...?

I learned this from Dr. Mega Herz about 5 or 6 years ago. When referring to males, the word is blond, and when referring to females the word is blonde.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blond

"Blond, adj \ˈbländ\
Definition of BLOND

: of a flaxen, golden, light auburn, or pale yellowish-brown color <blond hair>; also : having blond hair <a blond man> —spelled blond when used of a boy or man and often blonde when used of a girl or woman."

p.s. After Googling the word "blond" on the Internet, it looks like nobody knows this. Virtually everyone uses "blonde" for males and females alike. :roll:

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "Blond" or "Blonde"...?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
"Blond" or "Blonde"...?

I learned this from Dr. Mega Herz about 5 or 6 years ago. When referring to males, the word is blond, and when referring to females the word is blonde.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blond

"Blond, adj \ˈbländ\
Definition of BLOND

: of a flaxen, golden, light auburn, or pale yellowish-brown color <blond hair>; also : having blond hair <a blond man> —spelled blond when used of a boy or man and often blonde when used of a girl or woman."

p.s. After Googling the word "blond" on the Internet, it looks like nobody knows this. Virtually everyone uses "blonde" for males and females alike. :roll:

I have never spelled Blond with an E ending in my life. I have rarely seen it spelt with an E.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
I have never spelled Blond with an E ending in my life. I have rarely seen it spelt with an E.

I will interpret your comment seriously; I hope you're not being ironic. But I certainly have seen blonde spelled with the trailing e, and have always seen it spelled that way when referring to light-haired women. And of course, there are movies such as Legally Blonde, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc.

Personally, I started off with almost black hair but am turning blond as I get older. :mrgreen:

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
FrankC wrote:

I will interpret your comment seriously; I hope you're not being ironic. But I certainly have seen blonde spelled with the trailing e, and have always seen it spelled that way when referring to light-haired women. And of course, there are movies such as Legally Blonde, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc.

Personally, I started off with almost black hair but am turning blond as I get older. :mrgreen:

-- RWM

Truthfully my brain must have totaly blocked the E out. I have seen both those movies several times. I honestly can not recall Blond being spelled with an E in them. I would not spell those titles that way if you were to ask me. Interesting! Maybe I have an inner fear of blondes, not blonds.

Frank

Post subject: It's my forte...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's my forte...

How do you pronounce "forte", when referring to a person's strong point?

Today 99% of people would pronounce it as "for - tay", and they would be wrong. The "strong point" definition of the word comes from French, and should simply be pronounced "fort". The "for - tay" pronunciation of the word applies to an Italian word spelled the same way, that refers to playing music loudly.

Sadly, ignorance seems to be winning out again, and many dictionaries are now saying that pronouncing the word as "for - tay" is now acceptable, when referring to a person's strong point. However, many dictionaries are also saying the word "irregardless" is now acceptable to use also. :roll:

And before long it will be okay to start sentences with conjunctions. :lol:

p.s. However, "however" is okay to begin a sentence with, as long as you capitalize it, and follow it with a comma.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: It's my forte...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I

I hear you. It won't be too long until it is acceptable to blithely split infinitives and for people to end sentences with prepositions no matter who they are writing to.

Post subject: Where did you find this at?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I

I hear you. It won't be too long until it is acceptable to blithely split infinitives and for people to end sentences with prepositions no matter who they are writing to.

Where did you find this at? :lol:

Post subject: What's your gender...?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

What's your gender...?

I don't know the year that the word "sex" was first replaced by the word "gender" on job application forms, and everything else that wanted to know if you were a male or a female. However, the year isn't important. This is yet one more example of stupidity intruding on the English language. "Sex" is the right word to use, because it is a biological word that clearly pertains to whether you are male or female. "Gender" is ridiculous, because it is a grammatical term that applies to nouns (mostly in foreign languages). If these idiots want to continue to put "What is your gender?" on forms, I think it only fair that they give us three choices: "masculine", "feminine", or "neuter".

Post subject: "At the end of the day."
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Though there is nothing grammatically incorrect with the phrase "At the end of the day.", I am sick and tired of hearing it over and over. Idiots, who are giving speeches or presentations must think it makes them sound profound. Not in my book, for me it is a hackneyed phrase, that only makes me wonder how banal everything else the speaker said was.

I once counted how many times a mutual fund rep used "At the end of the day." in a 30 minute presentation. Can you believe six times?

p.s. For those, who only use the phrase once in their presentation, it does have one redeeming factor. It usually means that they are about finished with boring everyone, who had to sit there, while he droned on and on.

Post subject: Re: The English Language - F_DUDE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

IMO, the most godawful, horribly overused word for at least a dozen years or so has been "...dude..." as an exclamation or reply. Despite the fact that a fairly well known Southern California NTN Buzztime player uses it as his handle, the day cannot come too soon for this lil old grumpy bastard for that godawful, horrible usage to die its long overdue death.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Hey Dude, I hear ya man...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
IMO, the most godawful, horribly overused word for at least a dozen years or so has been "...dude..." as an exclamation or reply. Despite the fact that a fairly well known Southern California NTN Buzztime player uses it as his handle, the day cannot come too soon for this lil old grumpy bastard for that godawful, horrible usage to die its long overdue death.

Hey Dude, I hear ya man... I think I first heard "Dude" used in casual conversation was when I was in college back in the mid 1960's. "Dude" has not gone away as "Keep on truckin", "Out of sight". and "Groovy" have. Sadly, I have to tell you that "Dude" may be here to stay.

Here's something you might want to avoid:

p.s. Yeah, I heard "Dude" a bunch of times in old time western movies, but that's different.

p.p.s. I only use "Dude" when I'm at the ranch, and a bunch of greenhorns from back east, who ain't ever rode a horse before, get off the bus. :lol:

........ Image ............... Image

........... Okay, where are those wild stallions? .......................... Shit, here come a new bunch of dudes.

Post subject: "Winston tastes good..."
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Wanna hear it...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeGiZvPztc

"Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." Maybe the tobacco won't will kill you, but the English might. :lol:

This slogan ran for a long time (1954 - 1972), and grammarians had a big problem with it. Anyone know why?

Post subject: Re: "Winston tastes good..."
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Wanna hear it...?

"Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." Maybe the tobacco won't will kill you, but the English might. :lol:

This slogan ran for a long time (1954 - 1972), and grammarians had a big problem with it. Anyone know why?

Hells bells. IIRC, to be grammatically correct, it should be...

"Winston tastes good, as a cigarette should." Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:

Yep, you are right, but why...? That's not all that is wrong with it, can you find the other thing that is not grammatically correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Wanna hear it...?

It needs a modifier.

Post subject: Re: The English Language
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Writing, as with speech, is about communicating. When we become overly concerned with formal rules -- many of which are in error, or whose purpose has expired -- we miss the point.

There are a few obscure things that people really should work to do properly, but they're pretty rare. The only time I'm going to bother to correct someone's grammar is if the misuse actually causes confusion (failure to use subjunctive case properly), or when his target audience is snobby enough to care about of grammar in a professional sense.

In complete contradiction of what I've said above, if you say "an historic occasion" in my presence, I'll consider sticking a spoon through your larynx.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 am 
Lotsa Posta

Dante wrote:

In complete contradiction of what I've said above, if you say "an historic occasion" in my presence, I'll consider sticking a spoon through your larynx.
Although I am guilty of this myself, it made me snarf a little beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Writing, as with speech, is about communicating. When we become overly concerned with formal rules -- many of which are in error, or whose purpose has expired -- we miss the point.

There are a few obscure things that people really should work to do properly, but they're pretty rare. The only time I'm going to bother to correct someone's grammar is if the misuse actually causes confusion (failure to use subjunctive case properly), or when his target audience is snobby enough to care about of grammar in a professional sense.

Personally I find such predictable rationalizations of sloppy writing to be inverse snobbery - a lamentable recent trend.

There is absolutely no confusion about the meaning of "Little Johnny done so good on his English test, his professor must of been nuts not to given him an A". Judging writing only as communication, that sentence deserves an A too. It doesn't stop the sentence from being incorrect, ugly and indicative of a poor education.

Of course there are examples where breaking the rules of grammar and improper word usage are not only acceptable but even preferable. Mostly of course due to the ignorance of the audience, but still true. Outside statisticians, Latinists and economists, few people don't have to stop and think a bit when told that the data ARE positive, since everyone else expects "is" instead. And only English purists cringe any more when informed none of us are playing trivia right now, even though they are perfectly correct that, as a contraction of "not one", none of us really IS playing trivia right now. You may be uninterested in these rules, but none of us is truly disinterested.

Other rules are starting to sound a little archaic and forced too, even if generally understood to still be correct. I've had people snigger when saying things like "may I borrow a cloth with which to mop up this beer?" even when, according to the claim above, that communicates my desire with no possibility of confusion and so should be completely acceptable. Listeners would apparently much prefer the equally communicative but far less accurately framed "can I borrow (gods help us, even "lend") a cloth to mop up this beer with?".

It's not and never has been about communication or lack of confusion - it's about keeping current with expected manners of speech and word usage shared by the intended audience. There is, I surely hope, not one of you who is ignorant of the meaning and typical usage of the word "lest". Using it as I once did to an educated audience made up of engineers and senior managers, I could be even more confident that it would be universally understood. It also had the advantage of being much shorter than the normal alternative of "so that....should not..." - a positive thing in one prone to verbosity as I am. I think they made fun of me for "lest" for about six years. I took it as a compliment, but it still demonstrates that lack of confusion and communication of ideas are not at the heart of complaints about rigid rules and precise word usage. Part of the reason is inverse snobbery - the feeling that everybody should sound "like normal folk". Part is a genuine inferiority complex from those who know that they lack the comprehension and vocabulary to follow suit, but I suspect most of it is the same kind of modish groupthink that made people "hep", "hip", "groovy" and "cool", at different times, for displaying the same tendency to speak in the vernacular.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next